• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DF: yooka laylee on switch, it's a superb conversion

Vitacat

That's pretty impressive, considering earlier evaluations of the game on some more powerful hardware were relatively dire.

Not a game I'm personally interested in right now, but I think its audience is well suited for the Switch, so hopefully it finds success on the platform.

sublimit

Banned
Nice. Since i haven't bought it yet i think i'll get it when i buy a Switch next year. Portability is a huge plus for me.

delete12345

Taking the time to address the issues on earlier installment on other consoles is probably worth delaying the game until December.

tkscz

So far the game is really solid. I'm glad I put money towards the kickstarter. I may had to wait due to the WiiU version getting the can and moved over to the Switch, but I guess the wait was worth it.

RobRivers

Hope we have a phisical release, it is a bit expensive being xbox one and ps4 nearly 50% cheaper in a lot of retailers...

goldenpp72

Seems like an astonishing result considering the hardware, will definitely buy when there is a physical release.

i dont get the praise, its low resolution, and the worst of the three versions. The Switch is the only system where the game can be the worst of the three versions and can be called suburb.
If you compare it to the big two PS4/X1, then hold it to the same standards, or compare it to ipad/phone type things if you just care that you can play it on the go. DF is extremely weak on Switch analysis, they give excuses and praise poor performance in every game.

goldenpp72

i dont get the praise, its low resolution, and the worst of the three versions. The Switch is the only system where the game can be the worst of the three versions and can be called suburb.
If you compare it to the big two PS4/X1, then hold it to the same standards, or compare it to ipad/phone type things if you just care that you can play it on the go. DF is extremely weak on Switch analysis, they give excuses and praise poor performance in every game.

I don't see how it's bad for them to be aware of the form factor/spec differences, there is no other device similar in size that can power these games this well. The Switch is pretty cutting edge as far as mobile gaming goes and should be considered as such. Just like how 3ds, Vita, PSP, etc all had specific considerations for their form factors.

The fact that the game is super close to the PS4 conversion probably shows more a lack of budget put into that vs how impressive the Switch version is, but in an instance such as this it's very nice to have the option to go mobile and barely compromise in the process, unlike other games.

JP

It looks like they've done a really good job.

They've certainly right approach in producing a Switch version by going back and rebuilding things rather than just making it a simple port. I suppose the real downside with doing that is that it's expensive to go back and rebuild things.

C5Znh5GWAAAN1Kz.jpg

I guess that's too obvious.

Looking at your post history, you do seem to have a bone to pick with the Switch. It's OK to like a console that it's not the most powerful device ever. The game looks nice on the Switch - nobody is expecting a PS4-like experience

tkscz

Dude, what is your problem? The switch has half the ram, and runs less than a fourth of the flop rate, and is a handheld and yet it's games still look close to that of the more powerful consoles. You can't put it on the same standard as something obviously more powerful. It's impressive because it's weaker and can run it.

Grok4Spock

It's ok, he can't hurt you anymore...

NYCrooner

Switch being able to pull of a similar experience to it's more powerful console counterparts really makes an exciting future for this device. Switch owners getting excited about a "weaker port" because they can play it home or on the go shows you that Nintendo tapped into a market that was sorely neglected. I for one, a father and business man, love the flexibility of being able to play a console quality game on my big screen when the kid is asleep or on the road when I'm traveling. It's seamless.

nordique

Switch being able to pull of a similar experience to it's more powerful console counterparts really makes an exciting future for this device. Switch owners getting excited about a "weaker port" because they can play it home or on the go shows you that Nintendo tapped into a market that was sorely neglected. I for one, a father and business man, love the flexibility of being able to play a console quality game on my big screen when the kid is asleep or on the road when I'm traveling. It's seamless.

100%

I am not a father, but I'm in a busy profession and don't have time (or the foreseeable future) to play in front of the tv anymore

the Switch is the most incredible device for me. Being able to play on the go is the only way I can get gaming in these days

Love the Switch.

JimboJones

When the video started I was like "yep, 30fps switch version". Not that I was disappointed just figured there was a slim chance of pulling off 60, then the PS4 comparison was 30fps and I was like "what what".

It's neglected for a reason though. Mobile tech isn't powerful enough for a home console and I guarantee the games will dry up in a year or 2 like the Wii and Wii U. Hell Nintendo didn't even get CoD this time around. Most people are fine with a dedicated Console at home and dedicated portable/mobile on the road or a gaming laptop.

Maxrunner

This is like arguing that a say Honda sucks compared to a Ferrari....really?? People are dumb...news at eleven.

MDSLKTR

Agreed, it's like giving participation prizes.

MDSLKTR

Really? SO i guess teh ps4 versions of pc games should be held to the same standards, they always suck.
But... they do? DF always ranks the multiplatforms based on their analysis. It's always pc>xbx>pro>ps4>xbs. Switch ranks dead last because well the performance numbers don't lie, no need to sugar coat facts because of a hybrid tech that's not that relevant for some. If I buy a 2 grand tv I want the game to look at its best on it.

Top Bottom