• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Get Even delayed because of Manchester Arena attack

It's strange that I would have likely never heard of this game if it weren't for news of the delay. I wonder why that is.
Ah yes it's the age old "wait for a terrorist attack to happen so we can delay our game where a somewhat similar attack takes place and we'll get a bunch of free press" tactic. Those sneaky developers! You're a marketing genius.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I am not suggesting this at all because as far as I can tell development on this game is done
So what the fuck are you arguing for?

They don't want reviews/impressions of their game being talked about the same week people are still reeling from a bombing. Why is this hard to believe?

I agree with this move and I think it's a good one. Keep in mind, too, that this isn't just about sales or consumer marketing... Developers have to work on this title and marketers have to advertise it. If there are scenes in the media of young innocent people being killed by a suicide bomber, and then somebody needs to go sit at their desk and animate something similar to this for 5 or 6 hours, that's a very stressful difficult work environment. Or, if the development is complete, a marketer needs to write a press release about something, and it becomes that much more difficult for them with such a horrific event.

THis is the right choice IMO, not only for for consumers and the company, but also the staff that works on it.

GTAIII was delayed after 9/11 and the game was even modified because of it, and it didn't do a lick to sales or the legacy of the game. Sometimes it's just right to show discretion even when your game is intending to shock it's audience.

Madame M

Banned
Ah yes it's the age old "wait for a terrorist attack to happen so we can delay our game where a somewhat similar attack takes place and we'll get a bunch of free press" tactic. Those sneaky developers! You're a marketing genius.

No one is suggesting that this was planned, don't be silly.

So what the fuck are you arguing for?

They don't want reviews/impressions of their game being talked about the same week people are still reeling from a bombing. Why is this hard to believe?

To me it seems like they want people talking about how respectful this delay is.

I would be surprised if the fact of its delay doesn't show up in some reviews, only to serve to give the game more attention because of some unrelated event.

SilverArrow20XX

Walks in the Light of the Crystal
I understand the sentiment, but I've never really agreed to this kind of thing. Unless the thing being cancelled or delayed is related specifically to the tragedy that happened. Like content involving the location that was bombed, or a very similar scenario, like a terrorist attack on a concert in this case.

I've seen shows that I watch air episodes out of order (I think Hannibal did this) or flat out skip episodes completely because they had "explosions" and would have aired too near an event. Either wait for the blurays or download a rip of the episode from a country that didn't skip it were the choices.

I understand the want to be respectful, but a lot of the times it's unnecessary. Nobody would have noticed or cared that such and such wasn't delayed out of respect, and fans, even ones affected by the tragedy, can be annoyed.

newsguy

I was banned for like 3 weeks recently. I literally made a throwaway joke about being a virgin on gaf or something similarly dumb/harmless. How am I reading some of the disgusting things the OP has been saying and not see banned under that username. Gtfo of here.

Some of you adamant of thinking this is a conspiracy should know there's precedence in delaying or cutting scenes of games due to real life tragedies. It happens.

Please, put away your tinfoil hats for now. It's not helping.

Shaanyboi

Banned
To me it seems like they want people talking about how respectful this delay is.

I would be surprised if the fact of its delay doesn't show up in some reviews, only to serve to give the game more attention because of some unrelated event.
Even if it wasn't delayed, the real-world events were always going to color how this game was received.

They don't want to promote this game within such close proximity of the bombing. The fact that you're digging for some kind of ulterior motive here is fucking gross.

Jackpot

Banned
I sincerely don't see any connection between this game and the bombings. It's be like seeing a video of Call of Duty and immediately jumping to Sandy Hook.

In a combat FPS, killing people through bombs is second only to killing them through bullets. When was the last time you played a game with guns that didn't also have bombs? Explosives are everywhere in games.

The victim is a young female. A demographic encompassing approximately 400,000,000 people. Video games hardly ever portray children or the elderly, and them being an NPC you have to rescue practically guarantees it being female due to the majority male audience, boosting the chances even further.

The context has zero relation to the Manchester bombings. If it took place at a concert, or was directly linked to Islamic terrorism I could maybe see a point. But it isn't. Her abduction is part of a Saw-esque conspiracy with sci-fi trappings.

The game simply isn't that important enough to warrant the change. A lot of people even on GAF will have only heard of this game through this thread. It's a Polish B-tier game that's not going to get a wide release. It's distasteful for them to tie themselves to the event.

Should all games with guns be delayed when there's a mass shooting? Should all middle-eastern war games be delayed when there's a bombing over there? Why is this one different?

Of course it's a catch-all argument, that's exactly why it applies to this game also.

It's highly unlikely that I'm going to visit all of any type of thread on here and you'll find that I've not told anybody to stop talking about anything in any of the threads that I have visited or will likely ever visit on here. If I was wanting you to "stop talking" then it would have made far more sense for me to not reply to you instead of doing what I did do, which was, replying to you.

None of that makes any sense, or even seems to say anything.

EDIT:
Ha, he/she is now suggesting that "queue" is incorrectly spelt and that "cue" is the only correct spelling of the word. Excellent demonstration of that global view he/she possesses.

You don't know the difference between those 2 words, do you? Oh, man, that's embarrassing...

Bulllllllllshit and will wait for review receipts.

It might be mentioned because hey it's a game that shares similarities around a topical attack but that won't affect scores no matter how subtly you try and insinuate it.

I sincerely don't see any connection between this game and the bombings.

The victim is a young female. A demographic encompassing approximately 400,000,000 people. Video games hardly ever portray children or the elderly, and them being an NPC you have to rescue practically guarantees it being female due to the majority male audience, boosting the chances even further.

The context has zero relation to the Manchester bombings.
Do you even know who the face representing the victims of the Manchester bombing is?

It's a young girl, aged 8. Who died in a bomb attack.

_96185026_guardian_front.jpg

Here's where you stop posting.

RRockman

Banned
Do you even know who the face representing the victims of the Manchester bombing is?

~snip~

Here's where you stop posting.

Well, that's that. Good on Bamco for delaying it. That's better than canceling it outright anyway so I'm not sure why there is an issue honestly.

Polygonal_Sprite

Gold Member
A publisher showing respect by delaying a VIDEO GAME after such a horrifying terror attack which killed innocent children as young as 8.

Good on them!

Mifec

I was banned for like 3 weeks recently. I literally made a throwaway joke about being a virgin on gaf or something similarly dumb/harmless. How am I reading some of the disgusting things the OP has been saying and not see banned under that username. Gtfo of here.

Because holding the opinion that they do is not against the rules no matter how much it may annoy people.

KimbleJay

Pretty surprising just how many outlets jumped on reporting this as a news story when the press release very clearly stated "Please can I ask you to not publish this message."

Murkas

Because I think it's pointless, a month isn't enough time to forget that "oh yeah, a bunch of little girls were bombed a month ago."

It's a "nice" gesture that is ultimately meaningless and will affect no one.

I honestly feel sorry for your parents.

I sincerely don't see any connection between this game and the bombings. It's be like seeing a video of Call of Duty and immediately jumping to Sandy Hook.

In a combat FPS, killing people through bombs is second only to killing them through bullets. When was the last time you played a game with guns that didn't also have bombs? Explosives are everywhere in games.

The context has zero relation to the Manchester bombings. If it took place at a concert, or was directly linked to Islamic terrorism I could maybe see a point. But it isn't. Her abduction is part of a Saw-esque conspiracy with sci-fi trappings.

The game simply isn't that important enough to warrant the change. A lot of people even on GAF will have only heard of this game through this thread. It's a Polish B-tier game that's not going to get a wide release. It's distasteful for them to tie themselves to the event.

Should all games with guns be delayed when there's a mass shooting? Should all middle-eastern war games be delayed when there's a bombing over there? Why is this one different?

None of that makes any sense, or even seems to say anything.

You don't know the difference between those 2 words, do you? Oh, man, that's embarrassing...

Maybe not worldwide but if a mass shooting happened in the UK even call of duty would get delayed

They want people to talk about "how respectful this delay is"?

You're taking the piss, right?

Jackpot

Banned

https://ichef-1.bbci.co.uk/news/410/cpsprodpb/F26A/production/_96185026_guardian_front.jpg[/ig]

Here's where you stop posting.[/QUOTE]

The girl in the game is not 8 years old or even a pre-teen. She's a grown woman. Being young and female is not some unique demographic. It encompasses hundreds and hundreds of millions of people.

Briarios

No counter-argument?

How many mass shootings involving white males have there been? How many resulted in your typical dudebro FPS being delayed?

It's "cue", and it's only a tangential relation. It attributes a greater importance to the game than it deserves.

That's a catch-all argument that could be applied to any game releasing in any state. Of course it's their property and they can do whatever they want. Does that mean you're going to go to all the other threads the argument applies to and tell people to stop talking about them?

What the?!? Why the hell did you bring up white males into this discussion? Don't confuse your lack of understanding and empathy with legitimate point. The company did the right, respectful thing -- showing concern for others, even if it's through something with such a slight connection, is always a positive thing. We need more care and concern for others, not less.

berzeli

Banned
The closest it comes to resembling the Manchester events is that in one scene there's a girl, about 17-18 years old, tied to a chair with a bomb counting down. It has about as much in common as Condemned or Saw.
The girl in the game is not 8 years old or even a pre-teen. She's a grown woman. Being young and female is not some unique demographic. It encompasses hundreds and hundreds of millions of people.
The first victim to be publicly identified was Georgina Bethany Callander, an 18-year-old health and social care student known for her big smile and love of pop music.
via NYT
Please fuck off forever.

Jackpot

Banned
via NYT
Please fuck off forever.

Read the post before insulting. Person I was responding to said their point was the that face representing the victims was an 8 year old girl, which is completely unrelated to the game.

And, again, an 18 year old girl is not some unique demographic that is now inexorably tied to the bombing.

Not a single person has managed a reason beyond posting memes and wtfs.

Bahlor

Read the post before insulting. Person I was responding to said their point was the that face representing the victims was an 8 year old girl, which is completely unrelated to the game.

And, again, an 18 year old girl is not some unique demographic that is now inexorably tied to the bombing.

Just stop... you already said more than enough. Studio did the right thing... we need more empathy... this really needs no further discussion.

Widge

Not a single person has managed a reason beyond posting memes and wtfs.

I wouldn't mind coming at this from the other side - what would the content have to be for this decision to be a correct one in your book? Taking into account proximity of event to release.

As tone of voice doesn't carry on the net and this is a heated thread, all of this is said without any angled slight or intent!

UrbanRats

You wouldn't want your game associated with that kind of event even slightly, they're better safe than sorry.

Everyone grieves in their own way, im not someone too affected by "minute of silence" kind of symbolic gestures myself, but i understand the effect on other people, who may approach these things differently.

I think that's where you came off as an ass, op.
Different people react to tragic events in different ways.

The pile on is kind of unnecessary tho.

Budi

Because holding the opinion that they do is not against the rules no matter how much it may annoy people.

I'm pretty sure that basically lack of empathy has led to some bans, atleast in a Overwatch thread. Where people were saying that disabled people should just get PC:s to play and not play with a mouse on consoles.

Edit: I don't really understand that people need to give their hot takes "shitty game" even on this thread. Like why? It's not about the quality of the game in the first place.

Ooooh, it's about censorship now. Great.

Jackpot

Banned
I wouldn't mind coming at this from the other side - what would the content have to be for this decision to be a correct one in your book? Taking into account proximity of event to release.

Thank you. Portraying a terror attack of any kind at a music concert or vaguely middle eastern/religious-based terror attack on young girls, all set in the present day, would give enough "dots" for them to join together.

Just stop... you already said more than enough. Studio did the right thing... we need more empathy... this really needs no further discussion.

I'm not a fan of poorly considered censorship, even when it's self-inflicted. There's no need to treat people with such over-sized kid gloves or mis-attribute such grandiose importance to a game.

Let's try another tack. The game has you play as an amnesiac inside a memory-retrieval device trying to stop a puppet-master who uses sci-fi type devices to brainwash people and play morbid games. It's very similar to Batman's Mad Hatter. Does any of that put you in the mind of contemporary Islamic terrorism?

Murkas

Maybe the developers/publishers just wanted to do a nice thing, that's it. No grand conspiracy to generate PR or anything. Maybe there's an argument (ask yourself why would you argue this in the first place) in how the game isn't REALLY related to the Manchester bombing but even still, the developers thought let's just delay it. Just a nice thing that normal well rounded individuals can easily see without it being needed to be broken down step by step.

Are some of you so socially stunted that you need to make it as difficult as describing colour to a blind person?

Edit: ^^ Oh my God censorship lmao. Get a fucking clue.

I'm not a fan of poorly considered censorship, even when it's self-inflicted. There's no need to treat people with such over-sized kid gloves or mis-attribute such grandiose importance to a game.
No. You're the one who got on someone for using the wrong version of queue/cue, and you're abusing the word "censorship" like this? Just no. The government is not getting involved at all, nor is the content of the game in any way being changed. The word "censorship" in no way applies to this situation, in any way whatsoever. That word has a very particular meaning, and abusing it trivializes the impact of actual censorship. Get out of here with that.

Want people to take you seriously? Take some better care with the words you use, mate.

OmegaX0

Portraying a terror attack of any kind at a music concert or vaguely middle eastern/religious-based terror attack on young girls, all set in the present day, would give enough "dots" for them to join together.

That's how I see it, just a weird choice for something so tangentially related. Might as well delay any media with explosions in it.

aieeeee

I think it's a crap decision . There were no young girls at the concert tied up hostage with a bomb strapped to them. It was just a random scumbag terrorist walking in to blow himself up. There isn't actually anything in the game like that.

So Namco come out and say "hey let's delay it for a month. That's respectful considering there's a hostage girl in the game with a bomb strapped to her. People that hadn't heard of this BIG NAME GAME and likely not even know about us delaying it for a month will definitely respect us for this. Gamers that were actually going to buy it, well, mostly will just be annoyed because let's face it, delaying a game with this content that doesn't resemble what happened for 3 or 4 weeks isn't going to come out when the attack has all been forgotten about. They'll definitely have forgotten about our gesture though. Unless you wanted to buy the game. By which time the reviews will have been out for a while and probably put people off buying it now so we'll lose money but hey, nice gesture!!!"

Now, it isn't going to affect me because I wasn't buying it anyway. And I'm FROM Manchester and live 5 miles away from where the blast happened. I'm still not going to buy it, and certainly not now going to buy it because of Namcos "gesture".

So with this gesture that most people will not even know about other than the people that were buying it, all that Namco have done is annoy people and LET TERRORISM take away enjoyment and fun from people that were going to buy it, and LET TERRORISM impact people in other areas of civilized, decent life.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
Some posters are arguing that it's a bad thing? Given the horrific recent events, they think it's rather insensitive to promote a game that might invoke memories of the Manchester attack literally days after it happened. Good on Namco for recognizing that and likely taking a hit as a company in order to be a good citizen and thinking of others.

And for the weird idea that delaying game is "letting terrorism win", most folks would do the same thing if there was a massive natural disaster and the game you're about to release might remind of the same thing. It's just being considerate.

Budi

Just a heads up, when you say that this game wouldn't have reached those people affected by the bombing anyway. Take in consideration when you post awful stuff about the attack, it's victims and about the respect others are showing. There are multiple gaffers who had friends or family in the arena. Please be mindful, because your inconsideration is very possibly reaching these people.

aieeeee

Some posters are arguing that it's a bad thing? Given the horrific recent events, they think it's rather insensitive to promote a game that might invoke memories of the Manchester attack literally days after it happened. Good on Namco for recognizing that and likely taking a hit as a company in order to be a good citizen and thinking of others.

And for the weird idea that delaying game is "letting terrorism win", most folks would do the same thing if there was a massive natural disaster and the game you're about to release might remind of the same thing. It's just being considerate.

A natural disaster is natural.

Some terrorist fuck setting out to kill people and impact daily life as much as possible in as many areas as possible isn't a natural disaster...

aieeeee

Just a heads up, when you say that this game wouldn't have reached those people affected by the bombing anyway. Take in consideration when you post awful stuff about the attack, it's victims and about the respect others are showing. There are multiple gaffers who had friends or family in the arena. Please be mindful, because your inconsideration is very possibly reaching these people.

Eh I live in Manchester and have a "drinking mate" from the local pub that works as a steward at the MEN. It's not like it hasn't "reached" me you know.

pelican

Honestly, what is the likelihood that a victim of the Manchester bombings or their loved ones would come across this content and be disturbed by it? What purpose does a delay serve?

It is perfectly ok to delay the game due to the attack in Manchester.

Doesn't matter if those personally involved wouldn't play it. Neither does it relate to our terrorist level being raised to critical.

It is simply a reasonable thing to do.

Top Bottom