• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Republique Kickstarter by Ryan Payton - NOW FOR PC AND MAC! [Ended, $555K funded]

A friend of mine said that they could get into trouble from Apple, since they are selling a iOS game circumventing the App Store, and while they are currently selling a promise of production, they will have sold a actual product when it gets funded.

Anyone savvy on Apples TOS for developers to know whether it will hold true or not?

DieH@rd

Banned
Wow 500k.

Game looks awesome, but as i sold my ipad i will have to pass the kickstarting of this project. Maybe i will kick in few bucks on the last day if they come short of reaching goal.

If this game looks good and is bearable to play on the tiny ipod/iphone screen consider this my first IOS bought store game (been living on freebies so far). That video sold me on the game.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
updated OP.

500 000 is a lot of money for an unproven developer. It needs more coverage. Interesting to see how an iOS game will fare on Kickstarter.

heringer

Sadly, I don't think they can reach the ambitious $500,000 goal. In fact, I would be surprised if they reached half of that mark.

The game looks great, and so does the concept, but considering this is an iOS game from an unproven dev... maybe if they commited to a PC version or something.

Floex

Really liking the look of this. Hope it gets off the ground, very interesting concept. I'm glad there has been some good news today

wrowa

The kickstarte's progress Isn't looking promising so far. Would be a real shame if this game won't come to fruition; the footage shown looks awesome.

Bog

Junior Ace
Looks really sharp, but when he mentioned on WC that it was a lofty goal, I had a feeling it would be something unreachable. Can they update that while the KS is up? They might have a shot at $150/200.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
I'm totally in on this one.

I have to admit, however, that the platform is a bit of a turn-off. Still, the concept is so damn cool and I want to support the game.

Anyone savvy on Apples TOS for developers to know whether it will hold true or not?

It's not really circumventing the App Store as it's only available on the App Store. They can gift it to users via their kickstarter email addresses. The moment they do so, Apple takes their slice off the $9.99 (or whatever it costs). Since there is no way to get a physical copy of the app (the CE packs are interesting but none of it includes a disc with the application, per se) TOS isn't a concern. (Not that you can sideload anyway, for a variety of technical reasons)

Apple's TOS rules in this situation are to prevent using their platform as a means of alternate purchasing, ie: Amazon giving you an easy way to buy their books using Apple's device without giving apple a cut.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Looks really sharp, but when he mentioned on WC that it was a lofty goal, I had a feeling it would be something unreachable. Can they update that while the KS is up? They might have a shot at $150/200.

yes, 500 000 is unreal. If they include a PC it might be more viable.

JohngPR

I'm pretty sure Ryan had a lot to do with the control scheme of MGS4. I at least remember hearing as much in the KojiPro podcast back when he was on it.

I pledged and hope that this game meets its goal.

Metal Gear Solid 1 for the PSone was the first game where I felt there was more to my hobby than just killing time, that creators could actually express themselves with games. Because of MGS, stealth became one of my favorite genres of games...I gotta give support to things that sound awesome.

:)

Darkkn

Looks good, but i don't have an iOS device so i won't be pledging money. Hope it works out tho, looks like the kind of game that the platform needs more of!

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
In for $50!

I hope this makes it. A lot of money, but the concept is awesome.

Hopefully it controls well. Should turn this into a Vita game. :p

Balb

Don't really love the premise since I feel like this type of "relationship" between the player and a vulnerable woman has been done a lot in this industry already. Even so, I'll probably end up funding some money since I like Payton.

scy

Swag looks hot and if that shot of Hope (presumably) is the poster ... damn. But $125? Dang. Decision time ... :/

angelfly

I'm surprised they're asking for this much. On Weekend Confirmed Ryan clearly stated why they wouldn't be able to raise this much but they ask for it anyways. An iOS-only isn't going to make 500k work of pledges. As for the game I think it's a very interesting concept but I'll for the finished product.

zroid

Banned
What is the point in posts like these? I don't want to see games released on the 3DS, given that I don't like the hardware. I sure as fuck wouldn't make this fact known in 3DS threads constantly though.

Er, the point is I don't have an iOS device but I want to play it.

Unless you're saying I should purchase one specifically for this game? That's rather presumptuous of you.

This isn't an "iOS thread", this is a "Republique thread". If the message you took away from my post was port begging, then I've miscommunicated. I just want to play the game.

--

Moving on from that inanity, I'm almost tempted to chip in my $10 regardless. Or even $60 because that journal thing looks haaaaaaaawt.

dark10x

Unless you're saying I should purchase one specifically for this game? That's rather presumptuous of you.

This isn't an "iOS thread", this is a "Republique thread". If the message you took away from my post was port begging, then I've miscommunicated. I just want to play the game.
Isn't that how it typically goes for games, though? You buy the hardware to play the games.

EXGN

God dammit, I want to back so bad but I don't have any i-devices. If there was a PC/Android version I would be so in.

Isn't that how it typically goes for games, though? You buy the hardware to play the games.
Do you think that's typical for iOS devices, though? I'm sure that plays into the justification for picking one up to some extent but it's probably rarely a driving factor.

I mean, if someone already has a phone and/or tablet they are satisfied with would it be likely that they would pick up an iOS device just for games?

zroid

Banned

Not sure whether buying the hardware to play several $60 retail games is really the same thing as one $10 digital game. Especially one which is entirely third party and could be ported at the sole discretion of the creators.

in for a grand, lets do this!

:O my respect, sir.

SmokyDave

You said you'd never been 'so' disappointed, so I assume this isn't the first iOS exclusive you've taken an interest in. Maybe it's time to actually buy the hardware?

It clearly says iOS in the title so you knew what you were getting. I took away a 'port begging' message because you made it clear that you wanted a PC version.

TBH, I'm pissing into a hurricane, the majority of posts in this topic are on a similar line, yours was just the one I saw first. I hope you get your PC version so we can all enjoy a promising game.

dark10x

Not sure whether buying the hardware to play several $60 retail games is really the same thing as one $10 digital game. Especially one which is entirely third party and could be ported at the sole discretion of the creators.
Well, I'd imagine you would use the hardware for more than just ONE game and nothing else.

bob page

Hmmmm, presumably this will support the 4S, right? How about the 4 or iPad 1...?

iPad 1 and up, iPhone 4 and up. I'm assuming it will have optimization for the newer devices, though.

Will probably back this once a few other projects finish up. $500,000 is a bit ambitious though.
$500,000 is actually pretty minimal for game development. I'm sure it'll be successful regardless of whether they hit that goal on Kickstarter.

dark10x

Hmmmm, presumably this will support the 4S, right? How about the 4 or iPad 1...?
From what Ryan noted on Weekend Confirmed, they are trying hard to support hardware all the way back to the 3GS. I suspect iPhone4 and iPad 1 will both be supported though perhaps with reduced detail?

Sallokin

I'd be curious to know what plan B is if the kickstarter fails. I really want this.

Looks like they just hit the 1% mark.

Aesthet1c

Such an awesome concept. Ryan really sold this well on Weekend Confirmed last week. I have my doubts they will reach 500k, but I really hope they make it!

$500,000 is ridiculous especially for an IOS game what the hell where they thinking.

$500 Kickstarter, which will be matched by investors if reached? That seems ridiculous but what do I know about that kind of thing.

The original Infinity Blade had a dev budget of $2 million (and brought in over $30 million). The second likely had higher than that.

Hm, didn't know that. Certainly shows with the quality of the game. I stand corrected then.

dark10x

$500,000 is ridiculous especially for an IOS game what the hell where they thinking.
I'd imagine they want to see just how big they can go for an iOS project.

I hope they can pull it off, but that IS a tall order.

zroid

Banned
You said you'd never been 'so' disappointed, so I assume this isn't the first iOS exclusive you've taken an interest in. Maybe it's time to actually buy the hardware?
I may just, but I don't have the kind of money to make an investment like that frivolously. I also already have a smartphone and tablet, so it's not like I would require the device for anything other than gaming. It's tough.

It clearly says iOS in the title so you knew what you were getting. I took away a 'port begging' message because you made it clear that you wanted a PC version.
I specifically said PC because it's the most likely platform for which it might receive a port. They could put it on just about anything else, it wouldn't matter to me. Yes, even the 3DS which you seem to despise so much :p

TBH, I'm pissing into a hurricane, the majority of posts in this topic are on a similar line, yours was just the one I saw first. I hope you get your PC version so we can all enjoy a promising game.
I hope so too! :D

Well, I'd imagine you would use the hardware for more than just ONE game and nothing else.
Probably true. But to be honest, at this point in time there is only one other iOS game which has truly grabbed me enough -- Sword & Sworcery. Part of my hope for a port of Republique lies in the announcement of a Steam version of that game, something I was thrilled about.

Top Bottom