• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kotaku Rumor: Final Fantasy Versus XIII dead?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Really doubt this is true, but if it ever was I would honestly never touch a future Square Enix game again. Versus has been my most anticipated game since it was announced, and even something like Kingdom Hearts 3 wouldn't be able to end my boycott.

Luckily it's just Kotaku.

Valnen

Hope this is just bullshit. I wanted Kingdom Hearts-ish gameplay in a FF game. Versus XIII is easily one of my most anticipated games ever.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Why do people care? Versus was all smoke and mirrors, pre-rendered cutscenes showing off the hairstyles but little more. If it was going to take another 2 years and another $30m they were right to shut it down. Square-Enix cannot afford to indulge it's producers like that anymore.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
Stock prices? Smells like bullshit to me. Doesn't this game get asked about during shareholder conferences as it is? They would end up having to answer for it regardless. And I'm pretty sure it wouldn't impact their stock positively or negatively.

If this game is cancelled we would hear about it one way or another, and not just through a rumor mill.

I'm thinking along the lines of:

FFVersus 13 is now dead. Now look at this completely *new* game called FF 15 which just happens to look exactly the same as everything we have seen to date and is also multi-platform.

Stock prices? Smells like bullshit to me. Doesn't this game get asked about during shareholder conferences as it is? They would end up having to answer for it regardless. And I'm pretty sure it wouldn't impact their stock positively or negatively.

If this game is cancelled we would hear about it one way or another, and not just through a rumor mill.

Also the whole 'misleading shareholders' bit, which is generally a good idea to avoid assuming Japan has such laws.

Trevelyon

iV7z70YgNFjw7.gif

Even the goddam champion of Capua can't believe it. The God's have spread the cheeks again.

NeoUltima

Sounds like bullshit to me. The trailer from last year looked pretty far along.

Still wouldn't be surprised if it turns into FFXV though.

Famassu

Rumours most likely bullshit, but Square seems pretty much dead to me right now? No Type-0 western release, Kingdom Hearts has perhaps gone TOO wacky for me to even stand, and... well they havent got anything else it seems. Bravely Default I guess, maybe? What a fall from grace.
Kingdom Hearts 3D is either the second best or the best KH, Theatrhythm was awesome, Bravely Default seems promising, XIII-2 was a big improvement over XIII (though there's still room for improvement), XIV 2.0 seems to be what XIV should've been from the start not to even mention pretty much all of their games with the exception of XIV & XIII in the past 3-4 years have been great. If anything, Square Enix is faring better now than ever after the PS1 era.

That said, I call BS on this rumor. They just simply aren't going to cancel the love letter to FF from one of the most important people at Square Enix today, not after how long they've planned & developed it and not when it's Nomura's production.

Gintamen

All they got was "We have no information on the status of Final Fantasy Versus XIII." It's not like they were open with the details the first five years they have been working on the title.

Dead Man

This would likely be due to the fact a public acknowledgement of a Versus' cancellation could impact things like Square Enix's stock prices.

Is it just me or is that shady as hell if it's true.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Honestly, as much as I would love to play Versus, I would love to see it cancelled just to see the aftermath.

you'd be a lot safer assuming Versus XIII is kaput and start looking forward to the next big FF game.

Wait...what? I don't believe it's cancelled

Game Guru

It's hard to imagine the Eidos side of the company being allowed such freedom of idiocy.

I beg to differ, good sir. Have you seen what the guys over in Crystal Dynamics are doing to the Tomb Raider IP?

Either way, I wouldn't be surprised if Versus had been canned, but it's general story and gameplay had been moved to Final Fantasy XV.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Meh. Sounds like something you'd take with a giant pile of salt.

It would be incredibly silly of SE to just cancel the game after such a long time since its announcement. If they do have something for it, they'll probably talk about it at their 25th anniversary event or TGS.

Honestly, as much as I would love to play Versus, I would love to see it cancelled just to see the aftermath.
Oh gosh, I can only imagine...

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I beg to differ, good sir. Have you seen what the guys over in Crystal Dynamics are doing to the Tomb Raider IP?

Uncharted clones are the 'in' thing these days. Weird Kingdom Hearts x The Matrix action games aren't.

Dunan

It's being turned into FFXV. The king is dead; long live the king; that kind of thing.

At least I hope that's what they're doing. The "Versus" title makes no sense, they need to distance themselves from the FFXIII name, and if it's for a next-generation console that has no backward compatibility, newcomers won't be happy to see that previous games with the same name are unplayable. Bank on FFXV for the PS4 and NextBox.

Game Guru

Uncharted clones are the 'in' thing these days. Weird Kingdom Hearts x The Matrix action games aren't.

Not the Uncharted clone bit... I mean the massive PR snafu they've been having. Square Enix should've put their foot down at some point with them.

kayos90

Meh, Versus is probably going to launch at its 10th anniversary.

And then the 10th anniversary edition will come with a documentary titled: Arrested Development.

It's being turned into FFXV. The king is dead; long live the king; that kind of thing.

At least I hope that's what they're doing. The "Versus" title makes no sense, they need to distance themselves from the FFXIII name, and if it's for a next-generation console that has no backward compatibility, newcomers won't be happy to see that previous games with the same name are unplayable. Bank on FFXV for the PS4 and NextBox.

There is absolutely no way it will be changed to FFXV. It's 90% getting a name change though.

AniHawk

this is the thing that makes the most sense to me.

especially if versus was supposed to be this cool open-ended thing. could really reinvigorate the final fantasy franchise if it comes out at the start of next gen.

Did you even bother to read the article and read what others have posted so far, to be more specific Kagari. Just wondering.

umm yes I did. In fact the article actually states the team were just told recently and were really let down by the news. Which makes it almost sound like they didn't even see it coming.

Also makes it possible that maybe 2-3 months ago they were in fact hard at work on the game like Kagari says. Also just cause one person states it isn't canceled, doesn't necessarily make it true, maybe he got misinformation. Maybe the kotaku article was fed bad info. Who knows, could go either way.

All we have to go by is the fact Versus13 has been development hell since the start of this generation. Also Normua's recent cryptic comment doesnt help matters either.

"We're almost done with preparing the latest info for the game," Nomura told Famitsu.
"Because of a totally unrelated reason, there are circumstances in which that info cannot be released."

what the heck does that mean? Someone on the team die? Director leave? Project potentially being cancel so we dont know if we should show information yet? Just creates more speculation on the problems this title has faced.

my whole point is, unfortunately the info points to the Kotaku article having the better chance of being true.

DocSeuss

What's with all the "It's Kotaku so it must not be true" remarks? Don't get me wrong--ain't nobody hates Kotaku more than me these days--but don't they have a history of being right quite a bit more often than not?

kayos90

All we have to go by is the fact Versus13 has been development hell since the start of this generation. Also Normua's cryptic comment doesnt help matters either.

"We're almost done with preparing the latest info for the game," Nomura told Famitsu.
"Because of a totally unrelated reason, there are circumstances in which that info cannot be released."

what the heck does that mean? Someone on the team die? Director leave? Project potentially being cancel so we dont know if we should show information yet? Just creates more speculation on the problems this title has faced.

my whole point is, unfortunately the info points to the Kotaku article having the better chance of being true.

Possible title change. That's what I gleamed. Not something insanely major.

If this turns out to be fake, all of kotaku's credibility will be lost in my eyes. Not like I visit the site for news or anything but still...

Kum0

Square's Executive team when they announced the news internally... it's like they never wanted us to have the FF games we want!:

tumblr_m122ufjo5a1qf7kk0o1_400.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom