• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale GTTV Video

MarkusRJR

Artistically the game looks like trash compared to Smash Bros. Smash Bros looked cohesive while this kinda looks slapped together and blah. :/

Cipherr

I actually doubt it will pass, people are going to be constantly looking for similarities to SSB with each new character and stage.

Well, its never going to shake that. Its way to similar. Waaaay to similar. I have watched the footage over 10 times now. I can see identical moves even, so yeah, its never going to drop the "Its similar as HELL to smash brothers", because that much is very very true. What isnt likely to continue is the pace at which its being pointed out.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I see absolutely no indication of "health", the bars are definitely super meters, and nothing is happening down there when people are getting hit.

Well, its never going to shake that. Its way to similar. Waaaay to similar. I have watched the footage over 10 times now. I can see identical moves even, so yeah, its never going to drop the "Its similar as HELL to smash brothers", because that much is very very true. What isnt likely to continue is the pace at which its being pointed out.

Yeah, the pace will slow down for sure. I don't think comparisons are even a bad thing because, like you said, it's pretty blatant.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I will say that the idea of stage mash-ups, even if it perhaps removes a bit of each universe's "iconic" state, is a pretty neat idea and that one big thing I see that's a departure from Nintendo.

But man, put Rabbot in this from Jumping Flash, and I'm in. Tomba too.

b25e4414e57fae44fdc837868856eb2fade8eb28.PNG

Like Smash Bros., each character has a variety of moves accessed via a directional input in conjunction with an attack button (square, circle, or triangle). Every character has approximately two dozen attacks in their arsenal, and they vary wildly. Kratos has his trademark blades, Radec stays at range with his sniper rifle and other guns, Sweet Tooth controls space with land mines, and Parappa relies on the karate moves he picked up from Chop Chop Master Onion.

None of this really strays from the Smash Bros. formula, but the scoring method has notable differences. Attacking foes fills an AP bar at the bottom of the screen, which grants three levels of a super attack once filled. You can attack an opponent all day, but the only way you'll actually score a point is if you KO them with a super attack. Level one attacks are usually limited, such as Parappa's spin kick. Once you get to level three, however, you're almost guaranteed a couple of points with screen-clearing attacks. Parappa breaks into a rap performance that annihilates nearby opponents, while Sweet Tooth transforms into his robot form for an insane damage boost.

Considering the importance of super attacks, managing your AP becomes the focus. Items like rocket launchers and the Spear of Destiny from God of War will occasionally drop onto the battlefield, and they can be used to reduce the super meter of opponents. AP orbs can be granted by certain moves, such as Parappa's Boxy Boy boombox ability.

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/p...04/27/ps-all-stars-battle-royale-preview.aspx

Codeblue

I can actually see the game now.

My issue with this game so far is that they went for the least hype reveal. Bad quality video with Geoff's boring voice mentioning Fat Princess every chance he got.

If they were going to model anything after Smash, it should have been Brawl's reveal.

Otherwise, I'm pretty interested in how this turns out, and how Superbot as a studio turns out.

Sojgat

Oh, look a Smash bros clone with all my Sony favourites.

_sonatine_kitano_jpg_76917b.jpg

Edit: Is this going to be a PSN game? That could at least let me uderstand why it looks so cheap.

RagnarokX

For people wanting Solid Snake, his final smash is in!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FOc3aJF0xvE#t=2m41s

I liked how Geoff sounded surprised as that move was explained.

Game could be fun, but they need to get rid of that aura effect. Makes the characters look like moving flat stickers. And the levels they showed were meh.

Oh yeah, and fix Sweet Bot. God that looks awful. Use the model from Twisted Metal PS3 or something. It looks like Sweet Bot at too much ice cream.

linko9

On the one hand, it's awesome because it's smash bros. On the other hand, it's sort of embarrassing because it's smash bros. It's just so devoid of creativity. Of course if you're going to steal, steal from the best, but man, this is just so extremely derivative. Not yet sure if I'll get it.

Direct screens look great, also took a snapshot from the PSblog Youtube vid for a close up Sweet Tooth. Even with that video still being meh quality you can still make out the attention to detail.

QEcsu.png

Tookay

Art style they chose doesn't work for me. Everything looks washed out. When you have to outline the characters to make them out, then you might have a presentation problem.

Hopefully no clones like Brawl.

Well we already have one confirmed clone in the game...

The game itself

Loudninja

For the time being, Sony allowed SuperBot Entertainment to show-off six of the game's characters, and the cast represents a hodgepodge of PlayStation franchises. Fat Princess, Parappa the Rapper and Sly Cooper join the likes of Twisted Metal's Sweet Tooth, Killzone's Colonel Radec and God of War's Kratos on the preliminary roster, though Sony will reveal many more characters leading up to the game's launch, which should occur during the lead-up to 2012's holiday season.

Each character has his or her own combat style, which immediately becomes evident when you begin playing for yourself. Parappa the Rapper has strength at close range, where he can use his Chop Chop Master Onion-learned kung-fu stylings on his opponents. Colonel Radec, on the other hand, is almost entirely ineffective unless at a distance, relying on a plethora of Helghan firearms and pieces of technology from afar.

Sweet Tooth's considerable strength complements his brutal fighting style while Kratos' skill with his arsenal of weapons is obvious. But the two most interesting characters in this preliminary roster were undoubtedly Sly Cooper and Fat Princess. Sly Cooper's agility shines through almost immediately, and he has a special skill that no other character has. He forfeits his ability to block -- something every other character can do -- instead going invisible when the L1 button is held down. This allows him to sneakily slink around and get the jump on other characters. Fat Princess, on the other hand, relies on her deceptive, innocent look to get in close and cause the brunt of her damage. She can even summon forth minions such as the sword-wielding warrior or the fire-throwing wizard from her self-titled game to briefly supplement her attacks.
In a game like this, it should come as no surprise that SuperBot Entertainment wants it to feel accessible. And it most certainly does. Attacks are mapped to the Square, Triangle and Circle buttons coinciding with the direction you're pressing on the d-pad or left analog stick, giving each character an exceptional amount of moves. The right stick can be used to throw opponents, while the R1 button lets players pick up items (such as the Hedgehog Grenade from Resistance) in the environment to use on enemies.

And then there's the most powerful button in the game: R2. By building a special meter for each character -- a la Street Fighter or Marvel vs. Capcom -- players can unleash a torrent of special attacks that grow in power the higher the meter gets. For instance, Sly Cooper's standard first level attack might be fairly unimpressive, but his second level attack allows him to bomb enemies from above and can easily kill everyone on the screen. And if you get to a third level attack, watch out: Colonel Radec will get into a body-encompassing machinegun from Killzone 3, while Sweet Tooth turns into a gigantic truck to rain down destruction on his foes. These attacks spell almost certain death for everyone else on-screen.
http://ps3.ign.com/articles/122/1223840p1.html

So damn awesome.

My gut feeling tells me they placed too much importance on the super attacks if those are the only ways to score. What's the point of "two dozen attacks" if only 2 or 3 of them can get you points? Maybe it really works in execution, but it sounds backwards IMO. We'll see.

And man the highlighting around the characters really does a disservice to the visuals. They need to brighten this game up, and find ways to light the character models so they stick out without forcing them to stick out.

But that's the thing, if they made it like Power Stone then you would also have people complain that, well, it looks like Power Stone.

True, but that's a far less popular franchise and in dire need of a comeback. Smash Bros. is well known, alive and kicking.

However, I'm not really saying it should be like Power Stone, just that they could've tried to be more original. But I suppose that's the way it goes these days, every company wants their Halo, their SingStar, their Mario Kart, Gran Turismo, Wii Sports and so on.

Vinci

Danish

Pretty much. I mean... c'mon... do people honestly think folks aren't going to say, "Hey, that's a blatant ripoff of Smash Bros."? That's ludicrous. Of course people are going to say that, because it is. Hell, it's unapologetic about how blatantly it takes from Smash Bros.

People are either going to be cool with that or think it's sort of lame. I think it's lame, personally, as I would've liked to see Sony develop a fighter around its characters that is less Smash-like - as I feel there's more of a market for that - but to each his or her own.

Fat Princess seems included just to add some more females. Who else could they add?
Keira from Jak & Daxter?
Carmelita from Sly?
Um Jammer Lammy (Probably DLC... or Re-skin)
Chloe from Uncharted? (Maybe a re-skin of Drake?)

Oh, the Heavenly Sword chick... yeah, there's no chance she's NOT included.

Sardello

botty

Banned
Art style they chose doesn't work for me. Everything looks washed out. When you have to outline the characters to make them out, then you might have a presentation problem.

Well we already have one confirmed clone in the game...

The game itself

Gameception?

Card Boy

Banned
Looks okay. But it looks exactly the same as Smash Bros. It's Gameloft/EA levels of copying. Whether that is a good or bad thing, i have yet to decide.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
Looks like it's going to be a fun game! One request: Make the colors brighter. In the blog video footage, it just looks saturated. Adding more color would make the game look much better, IMO.

Can't wait to play it at E3.

Noshino

IGN

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/122/1223840p1.html

Each character has his or her own combat style, which immediately becomes evident when you begin playing for yourself. Parappa the Rapper has strength at close range, where he can use his Chop Chop Master Onion-learned kung-fu stylings on his opponents. Colonel Radec, on the other hand, is almost entirely ineffective unless at a distance, relying on a plethora of Helghan firearms and pieces of technology from afar.

In a game like this, it should come as no surprise that SuperBot Entertainment wants it to feel accessible. And it most certainly does. Attacks are mapped to the Square, Triangle and Circle buttons coinciding with the direction you're pressing on the d-pad or left analog stick, giving each character an exceptional amount of moves. The right stick can be used to throw opponents, while the R1 button lets players pick up items (such as the Hedgehog Grenade from Resistance) in the environment to use on enemies.

looks...good?

Top Bottom