• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

American Soccer |OT2| Party Like It's 1999.

Icolin

Banned
New photos of the now completed Mercedes-Benz Stadium, the new home of Atlanta United (no pictures of the soccer config yet):

IMG_5735.jpg

IMG_5762.jpg

IMG_5800.jpg

IMG_5782.jpg

IMG_5807.jpg

More photos: https://atlanta.curbed.com/atlanta-...s-mercedes-benz-stadium-photos-atlanta-united

The roof and exterior design is gorgeous.

zroid

Banned
Looks like a damn palace

I don't think anything like that would ever be sustainable in Canada unfortunately

certainly not without being massively subsidized by the public anyway

Icolin

Banned
Looks like a damn palace

I don't think anything like that would ever be sustainable in Canada unfortunately

certainly not without being massively subsidized by the public anyway

Does BC Place count? I mean, the capacity is 54,000, and it was renovated almost entirely in 2011 or 2012.

zroid

Banned
Does BC Place count? I mean, the capacity is 54,000, and it was renovated almost entirely in 2011 or 2012.

I mean yeah it's the same sort of thing, but BC Place is all public money, right?

It was constructed for the world fair, and it's owned and operated by the provincial government, I think

RBH

DHV8Ts8XUAEXfe-.jpg:small

Atlanta United will try to set the MLS single-game attendance record when it hosts Orlando City on September 16th at Mercedes-Benz Stadium.

The record of 69,255 was established April 13th, 1996 in a game between Los Angeles Galaxy and the New York/New Jersey MetroStars at the Rose Bowl.

As part of a tour Tuesday of the $1.5 billion Mercedes-Benz Stadium that will become the team's home, Atlanta United President Darren Eales said, ”Would love to be able to set that record. We have the ability to go to 70,000 and we are hoping to be able to do that with our amazing fan base."

In its first season in MLS and playing previously at Georgia Tech's Bobby Dodd Stadium, Atlanta United leads MLS in average attendance (46,318).

The stadium will typically be configured to host 42,000 for home games, but it will expand the seating to 70,000 for at least two games. The other will be the regular season finale against Toronto on October 22nd.
http://www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-united-gunning-for-mls-record/Oc6fSvdde23UmITZ2EU1CM/

zroid

Banned
The stadium will typically be configured to host 42,000 for home games, but it will expand the seating to 70,000 for at least two games. The other will be the regular season finale against Toronto on October 22nd.

Hype!

Icolin

Banned
25 man squad for Canada's friendly versus Jamaica on September 2nd has been announced.

Roster:

1- GK- Simon Thomas | NOR / FK Bodø/Glimt
2- FB- Nik Ledgerwood | CAN / FC Edmonton
3- CB- Manjrekar James | HUN / Vasas Budapest
4- FB- Michael Petrasso | ENG / Queens Park Rangers
5- CB- Dejan Jaković | USA / New York Cosmos
6- M- Samuel Piette | CAN / Impact Montréal FC
7- FB- Samuel Adekugbe | SWE / IFK Göteborg (on loan from Vancouver Whitecaps FC)
8- M- Will Johnson | USA / Orlando City SC
9- F- Tosaint Ricketts | CAN / Toronto FC
10- M- David Junior Hoilett | WAL / Cardiff City FC
11- F- Cyle Larin | USA / Orlando City SC
12- M- Alphonso Davies | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC
13- M- Atiba Hutchinson | TUR / Beşiktaş JK
14- M- Mark-Anthony Kaye | USA / Louisville City FC
15- CB- Amer Didic | USA / Sporting Kansas City
16- F- Anthony Jackson-Hamel | CAN / Impact Montréal FC
17- FB- Marcel de Jong | CAN / Vancouver Whitecaps FC
18- GK- Jayson Leutwiler | ENG / Blackburn Rovers
20- M- Raheem Edwards | CAN / Toronto FC
21- M- Jonathan Osorio | CAN / Toronto FC
22- GK- James Pantemis | CAN / Impact Montréal FC
23- M- Tesho Akindele | USA / FC Dallas
24- M- David Choinière | CAN / Impact Montréal FC
25- M- Jay Chapman | CAN / Toronto FC

No Arfield, Borjan, Cavallini, Teibert, Cordova, Bernier, or Vitoria, but having Atiba is exciting. Also stoked to see Didic, Akindele, Choiniere, Chapman, and Johnson.

Dartastic

don't tell me you got unfairly kicked out of another bar!
Firstly, I didn't get kicked out of that bar. I left and won't go back. Very different. I wound up trying to talk to a trump supporter at the game who told me I should "respect our president" and I got asked to leave. Oh well.

Anyway, good win. We needed that one.

Icolin

Banned
That was a beautiful goal by Piatti. Great hold up play by AJH, great pass from Dzemaili, and a cool finish from the Nacho Nacho man.

Quakes need a couple of goals to keep their playoff hopes alive, but I don't think they're going to get them. The defense has been a mess this season. They just don't have the players for this system and Cummings / Wynne going down really hurt them. Jungwirth got hurt tonight, too.

50 points! Glad to see Hasler get one, he's quite attack-minded, at least moreso than Beitashour. I'm happy Beita is back, too, though he's got some competition now.

The roof and exterior design is gorgeous.

I have only driven by it because I've been flying to Atlanta over the past 4 weeks and working in Dunwoody, but it really is gorgeous. Reminds of ATT stadium in the sense that it just looks "cool".

I mean yeah it's the same sort of thing, but BC Place is all public money, right?

It was constructed for the world fair, and it's owned and operated by the provincial government, I think

Not trying to get into politics, but I'm 100% against that (i.e. public money for big stadiums).

Seeing the Revs away at Yankee stadium

Field set up here is better live. It looks dreadful on tv. It's narrow for sure but not quite as narrow as games on tv make it seem

Cystm

My fantasy picks have been fucked over so hard this week. Chicago imploded (even at home) and Seattle isn't going to give me that clean sheet bonus now. Happy to see Ethan Finlay score again, though.

Man, I wish I captained Piatti instead of Villa this week. 30 points right there.

Meier

My fantasy picks have been fucked over so hard this week. Chicago imploded (even at home) and Seattle isn't going to give me that clean sheet bonus now. Happy to see Ethan Finlay score again, though.

Man, I wish I captained Piatti instead of Villa this week. 30 points right there.

I have not really paid attention the last few weeks unfortunately and felt it. 1 and 2 in the league probably just opened up a big enough lead that I'll definitely never be able to catch up! Nikolic's trash play over the past month or so has meant his value has dropped precipitously on top of not scoring anything. Ugh.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
NYCFC gonna play their homegame against Houston in Connecticut, literally 100 miles away from Yankee Stadium.

You can't make this shit up. Whole thing is a fucking joke and makes the league look bad.

Cystm

NYCFC gonna play their homegame against Houston in Connecticut, literally 100 miles away from Yankee Stadium.

You can't make this shit up. Whole thing is a fucking joke and makes the league look bad.

It's not a good look at all. That while marketing push. Being unable to find a spot. Now, if the Yankees have a rain delay David Villa is gong to have to play on some shit tier surface outside the city to make way.

It's a fucking joke. Like, the team and even the league looking bad isn't as fucked up to me as the disrespect of telling David Villa "sorry pal, you're going to have make way. Scheduling is hard and we gotta play Detroit. Fuck outta here!"

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
It's not a good look at all. That while marketing push. Being unable to find a spot. Now, if the Yankees have a rain delay David Villa is gong to have to play on some shit tier surface outside the city to make way.

It's a fucking joke. Like, the team and even the league looking bad isn't as fucked up to me as the disrespect of telling David Villa "sorry pal, you're going to have make way. Scheduling is hard and we gotta play Detroit. Fuck outta here!"

All the players involved deserve better than this shit. It's just going to make it harder to convince people to come over.

The fans are also getting dicked over super hard too. No public transit goes up there at all.

Icolin

Banned

This is simultaneously hilarious and disgraceful.

zroid

Banned
Blake is going to be a problem won't he

...I was just telling my dad before the free kick that the angle wasn't great and it'd be better if he were a few feet to the left. and then that happened

hey yeah curtin is garbage

dude has the best job in the league. no accountability and seemingly infinite job security.

the players have given up on him. he needs to go like months ago

Top Bottom