• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2017/18 |OT| Relegated to Community

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeBison

Tom28 on saintsweb (has been a reliable itk on several parts of the VVD saga up until now)

"There are things I know but cannot say. I will share them on here on 1st September if VVD has gone. But the report that things are now toxic is absolutely true. Even if VVD stays, I don't see a way for him to play given what I've been told in the last 24-36 hours. I fully expect him to go now. The club will be criticised by some and some will say this was the clubs plan all along. I can promise you it was not."

👀👀👀

MikeBison

Well, a few people taking in whispers and lateral thinking problems the entire time have suggested there might have been a verbal contract or otherwise that he could go to a UCL team. Then people suggested that we had permission to talk to Virgil in the first place.

Perhaps us guaranteeing the CL tonight ties Sotons hands. Them going out of the league cup is even less need for CBs. I don't know.

But wether he comes or not, looks like we'll know more about everything that's gone on Sept 1. Again, according to Tom28. Infamous leak man. Starter of articles. Scourge of twitter bandwidth caps.

*insert Sopranos.pullmebackin.gif*

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death

Sadio's backheels could finally solve peace in the Middle East.

Well, a few people taking in whispers and lateral thinking problems the entire time have suggested there might have been a verbal contract or otherwise that he could go to a UCL team. Then people suggested that we had permission to talk to Virgil in the first place.

Perhaps us guaranteeing the CL tonight ties Sotons hands. Them going out of the league cup is even less need for CBs. I don't know.

But wether he comes or not, looks like we'll know more about everything that's gone on Sept 1. Again, according to Tom28. Infamous leak man. Starter of articles. Scourge of twitter bandwidth caps.

I'm hard wired to believe it when I see it. Fuck knows we could use him more than ever though.

Firemind

It's been explained already but here it is with the coefficients. First pot of champions rated by their league ranking, rest by team ranking.

opNl01XETnSD0WfhnkC8nA.png
how the bloody hell does anderlecht directly qualify to the champion's league and doesn't get into the 4th seeding pot

DBT85

how the bloody hell does anderlecht directly qualify to the champion's league and doesn't get into the 4th seeding pot
Pots 2,3 and 4 are decided based on how shit you've been in a European competition in the last 5 years.

You don't get to win the Put the Pressure on trophy and waltz straight in to pot 2.

5 English teams in the Champions League, none of them being Arsenal.

There's an element of hilarity there, especially if they all do well in the knockout stages, aka getting past the round of 16.

Tainted

5 English teams in the Champions League, none of them being Arsenal.

There's an element of hilarity there, especially if they all do well in the knockout stages, aka getting past the round of 16.

There's zero chance all 5 get past the round of 16....I would expect maybe 3 will (Chelsea and the Mancs most likely).

I say this as a Liverpool supporter as well, I think we will get hammered if we don't improve our defence between now and then.

MrS

Banned
Good to see Liverpool back where they belong. A club of that stature must play in the Champions League.

F34R

I really disliked that we conceded those two goals, but my Reds played reasonably well otherwise.

Would love Coutinho, Lallna, and Flanagan in there.

Beefy

If the board and new owners allow Van Dijk to leave to Liverpool. After telling fans about 200 times he isn't for sell, there will be riots. I still want him gone.

MikeBison

If the board and new owners allow Van Dijk to leave to Liverpool. After telling fans about 200 times he isn't for sell, there will be riots. I still want him gone.

Have to take it with a pinch of salt, but tom-itk seems to think something more has happened behind the scenes this week to cause them to u-turn. Relationship got even more toxic.

DBT85

Cablammo draw has happened.

West Bromwich Albion v Manchester City

Everton v Sunderland

Leicester City v Liverpool

Manchester United v Burton Albion

Brentford v Norwich City

Wolverhampton Wanderers v Bristol Rovers

Burnley v Leeds United

Arsenal v Doncaster Rovers

Bristol City v Stoke City

Reading v Swansea City

Aston Villa v Middlesbrough

Chelsea v Nottingham Forest

West Ham United v Bolton Wanderers

Crystal Palace v Huddersfield Town

Tottenham Hotspur v Barnsley Or Derby County

Bournemouth v Brighton & Hove Albion

TimmmV

I really disliked that we conceded those two goals, but my Reds played reasonably well otherwise.

Would love Coutinho, Lallna, and Flanagan in there.

Flanagan isn't good enough for the CL imo - he's only still around because hes Scouse

I think the 2nd goal was definitely just complacency at being comfortably up - don't think it would have happened had the score been closer

So what is the latest speculation? Does Liverpool qualifying for the CL activate some kind of clause? I try to avoid ITK's as I don't like getting my hopes up.

The speculation is that something changed in the last day thats totally nuked bridges between VvD and Southampton - but the guy didn't say what it is, he also said that only one club are bidding for him, and given that it seems Liverpool are the most interested club in him, it's most likely them. At the same time VvD's, mate is tweeting photos of Anfield along with a plane emoji

So the speculation is that Southampton said VvD could go to a CL club - and Liverpool qualifying officially confirms that, so he will be more likely to come to Liverpool now.

I'm still not expecting it to happen, but it would definitely be a welcome addition to the team - its a shame that this has turned into such a big mess though, pretty shitty thing to do really

Danchi

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but if/when Mbappe joins PSG where does he actually play? In a 4-3-3, does he replace Cavani in the middle or does he play on the right-wing? He usually played centrally in a 4-4-2 with Falcao last season.

edit: I suppose Cavani could be pushed out wide again?

MikeBison

So what is the latest speculation? Does Liverpool qualifying for the CL activate some kind of clause? I try to avoid ITK's as I don't like getting my hopes up.

I've been sucked right back in to the dark hole of ITKs.

But nobody knows. Waiting for Tom28 to post someone else I'd guess. But his suggestion is that relationship with saints even more toxic now (corroborated by that Kevin palmer piece who does appear to have genuine sources) and that Liverpool might have quietly bid. Perhaps a verbal agreement about joining a CL club. If there was a normal release clause, can't imagine things would have gotten this messy.

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but if/when Mbappe joins PSG where does he actually play? In a 4-3-3, does he replace Cavani in the middle or does he play on the right-wing? He usually played centrally in a 4-4-2 with Falcao last season.

edit: I suppose Cavani could be pushed out wide again?

Didn't he more focused on the wings?

He's a central forward on papers but loves roaming around both flanks.

But PSG has Neymar now, so maybe he'll be stationed on the right. Or as you said, he'll take Cavani's place.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom