• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The |OT| |OT|: Index & Volunteer & Coordinate & Collaborate [Read OP!]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dinjooh

Glad you're doing this TheMoon. It would be nice if we could have some official numbers for when OTs are allowed to go up. Is it a day before, 12h, 1h - depending on the popularity of the game?

What about event OTs, is it still the hour before, or is it 10m before?

TheMoon

Glad you're doing this TheMoon. It would be nice if we could have some official numbers for when OTs are allowed to go up. Is it a day before, 12h, 1h - depending on the popularity of the game?

What about event OTs, is it still the hour before, or is it 10m before?

I don't really see the point of nailing down a specific hour count for OTs. A low profile indie release isn't really served by an OT going up a day early with zero chances of "street dates" being broken. Just think about what makes sense. In terms of event OTs, I have no idea how they've been handled in the past.

Just thinking about it logically, what use is there for an event OT before the event happens?

Why do we have OTs? So people can discuss the game/thing they are playing/watching or ask something about it, right? So if nobody has access to the relevant thing, there is no point in posting its OT until that changes. Hence the practice of (widely) broken street dates allowing OTs to be posted early in those cases.

Dinjooh

I don't really see the point of nailing down a specific hour count for OTs. A low profile indie release isn't really served by an OT going up a day early with zero chances of "street dates" being broken. Just think about what makes sense. In terms of event OTs, I have no idea how they've been handled in the past.

Just thinking about it logically, what use is there for an event OT before the event happens?

Why do we have OTs? So people can discuss the game/thing they are playing/watching or ask something about it, right? So if nobody has access to the relevant thing, there is no point in posting its OT until that changes. Hence the practice of (widely) broken street dates allowing OTs to be posted early in those cases.

The question I see the most in the lead up to an event or a game is 'when is the ot coming up'.

I don't personally care much since I have some specific guidelines I follow myself, but would be nice having a concrete answer.

In regards to event ot's there's a lot of people in the run up to an event who want to discuss that specific event. I usually post it an hour early so people can get the correct links and such in due time and actually be warned something is coming up.

TheMoon

The question I see the most in the lead up to an event or a game is 'when is the ot coming up'.

I don't personally care much since I have some specific guidelines I follow myself, but would be nice having a concrete answer.

In regards to event ot's there's a lot of people in the run up to an event who want to discuss that specific event. I usually post it an hour early so people can get the correct links and such in due time and actually be warned something is coming up.

Aren't there usually threads covering the announcement of the event where those scheduling infos and links belong, though?

The questions about when an OT is going up won't go away even if we do nail down something very specific here. The general user won't know, they'll just keep asking. I really think this needs to stay a case-by-case basis with the general rule of thumb being day-of-release unless street date is broken. Again, no reason to have an OT up when nobody has played or seen the thing yet.

Ultimately, I'm not King OT. Opinions of others welcome.

Cornbread78

Aren't there usually threads covering the announcement of the event where those scheduling infos and links belong, though?

The questions about when an OT is going up won't go away even if we do nail down something very specific here. The general user won't know, they'll just keep asking. I really think this needs to stay a case-by-case basis with the general rule of thumb being day-of-release unless street date is broken. Again, no reason to have an OT up when nobody has played or seen the thing yet.

Ultimately, I'm not King OT. Opinions of others welcome.

I would just add some details to the OP:

"OT's should not be posted prior to '12 hours from earliest official launch time' and should be posted prior the official launch time."
* It is the claiming parties responsibility to post the OT in a timely manner as outlined above."

as well as a caveat:

"an OT may be posted early with MOD approval if the "street date" or other extenuating circumstance"
* These exceptions are reviewed on a case by case basis

This will clarify the posting times and rules since things have been updated a little since Evilore's post.

I believe they still allow OT OTs to be posted up to 1 week before the launch of a show/movie/event, so that note can be included as well.

Since Beta threads aren't technically OTs, how early should they be posted? Especially considering if there is a cut off for early beta access.

Cornbread78

Since Beta threads aren't technically OTs, how early should they be posted? Especially considering if there is a cut off for early beta access.

as far as I'm aware, they should be posted about the same time as regular OT, if not even closer to the unlock time...

as far as I'm aware, they should be posted about the same time as regular OT, if not even closer to the unlock time...
Okay, so for Battlefront II you have to preorder by the 30th to get access to the beta on October 4th, otherwise you have to wait to play the beta until October 6th. Would it be courteous to make a thread before the 30th to give people notice, or is it such an insignificant amount of time that it doesn't matter?

I'm leaning towards the latter.

Cornbread78

Okay, so for Battlefront II you have to preorder by the 30th to get access to the beta on October 4th, otherwise you have to wait to play the beta until October 6th. Would it be courteous to make a thread before the 30th to give people notice, or is it such an insignificant amount of time that it doesn't matter?

I'm leaning towards the latter.

The beta thread should not go up until the Beta launch date. What you can do is just create a separate thread reminding people that the last day to get in on the Beta for BFII would be to pre-order by 9/30. That or just post it in one of the most recent BFII threads where most of that community is hanging out and discussing new developments.

Luminaire

On mobile so I can't really do the code / search, but if Atelier Lydie & Suelle is open, I'd like to do that. Should be early 2018. I'll edit my post to claim correctly when I get home.

Atelier Lydie & Suelle: Alchemists of the Mysterious Painting by Luminaire (September 27th, 2017) - Early 2018

Cornbread78

On mobile so I can't really do the code / search, but if Atelier Lydie & Suelle is open, I'd like to do that. Should be early 2018. I'll edit my post to claim correctly when I get home.

I've had to do the past 3-4 Atelier OTs at the last minute since nobody else has, so it should definitely be open!!!!

TheMoon

reminder that OTs aren't "reminder threads" for events/releases, they are to discuss the actual thing when it is accessible to people.

that's why we have regular ass news threads/discussion threads. I'm sure there is a news thread somewhere out there detailing the BF2 beta signup/preorder stuff, for example. the restriction exists precisely to counter act pointless filler posts amounting to nothing more than "can't wait!!!" "hypee!!! "omg dis gon b gud meme.gif"

Cornbread78

reminder that OTs aren't "reminder threads" for events/releases, they are to discuss the actual thing when it is accessible to people.

that's why we have regular ass news threads/discussion threads. I'm sure there is a news thread somewhere out there detailing the BF2 beta signup/preorder stuff, for example. the restriction exists precisely to counter act pointless filler posts amounting to nothing more than "can't wait!!!" "hypee!!! "omg dis gon b gud meme.gif"

Go back to bed Kirby, that's what I just told him!

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Hi all. I am posting this not to claim any OTs but just to let people who are interested know so that they can make a judgment call:

I'll be running a SNES Classic game club over the next year, where each game gets 2-4 weeks for the club to play and discuss and has specific challenges for players to complete. I haven't decided if it'll be new threads for each game or the same thread with the title updated, but we might assume that while the games are being played, the thread will act as a sort of pseudo-OT (I'm planning on making an OT style setup for the first post for each game, anyway)

The schedule is going to look something like this:
October 1 - 15: Super Mario World
October 16 - 31: Super Punch-Out!!
November 1 - 15: Star Fox
November 16-23: F-Zero
November 27-30: Kirby's Dream Course
December 1-31: Earthbound
January 1-15: Super Metroid
January 16-31: StarFox 2
February 1-14: Street Fighter 2 Turbo
February 15-28: DKC
March 1-31: Final Fantasy III
April 1-15: Super Castlevania IV
April 16-30: Super Ghouls n Ghosts
May 1-8: Super Mario Kart
May 9-16: Kirby Super Star
May 17-31: Zelda: A Link to the Past
June 1-15: Mega Man X
June 16-July 16: Secret of Mana
July 16-31: Yoshi's Island
August 1-15: Contra III
August 16-September 16: Super Mario RPG

Again, if anyone wants to make an OT it makes total sense to do so -- although maybe not for the first few. But just if you're thinking "boy, I don't really want to make an OT, but I feel like I'd like a place to discuss this game at some point", that's the schedule and this way we don't need to duplicate efforts.

TheMoon

Hi all. I am posting this not to claim any OTs but just to let people who are interested know so that they can make a judgment call:

I'll be running a SNES Classic game club over the next year, where each game gets 2-4 weeks for the club to play and discuss and has specific challenges for players to complete. I haven't decided if it'll be new threads for each game or the same thread with the title updated, but we might assume that while the games are being played, the thread will act as a sort of pseudo-OT (I'm planning on making an OT style setup for the first post for each game, anyway)

The schedule is going to look something like this:
October 1 - 15: Super Mario World
October 16 - 31: Super Punch-Out!!
November 1 - 15: Star Fox
November 16-23: F-Zero
November 27-30: Kirby's Dream Course
December 1-31: Earthbound
January 1-15: Super Metroid
January 16-31: StarFox 2
February 1-14: Street Fighter 2 Turbo
February 15-28: DKC
March 1-31: Final Fantasy III
April 1-15: Super Castlevania IV
April 16-30: Super Ghouls n Ghosts
May 1-8: Super Mario Kart
May 9-16: Kirby Super Star
May 17-31: Zelda: A Link to the Past
June 1-15: Mega Man X
June 16-July 16: Secret of Mana
July 16-31: Yoshi's Island
August 1-15: Contra III
August 16-September 16: Super Mario RPG

Again, if anyone wants to make an OT it makes total sense to do so -- although maybe not for the first few. But just if you're thinking "boy, I don't really want to make an OT, but I feel like I'd like a place to discuss this game at some point", that's the schedule and this way we don't need to duplicate efforts.

Pointing out that I have an OT for Star Fox 2 going up tomorrow, for example. Seeing as that's coming up in January on your schedule, wouldn't these be sort of like LTTP threads in the same vein?

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Pointing out that I have an OT for Star Fox 2 going up tomorrow, for example. Seeing as that's coming up in January on your schedule, wouldn't these be sort of like LTTP threads in the same vein?

I think Star Fox 2 is one that absolutely makes sense to have an OT for because many people will play it day one. Like I said, I don't want to stop anyone planning an OT from making one -- just wanted to save people some effort if they figure this setup is sufficient to get what they want out of it.

But if we do decide to allow OTs for the bigger titles than I call Final Fantasy III and/or Earthbound.

Feel free to reserve either or both. :)

Cornbread78

Sweet! Before I do though, so we're not doing the discussion thread? Just the separate OTs?

why-not-both-animated-gif-7.gif

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Sweet! Before I do though, so we're not doing the discussion thread? Just the separate OTs?

Like I said above, I'm planning on making at least one thread, maybe one thread per game, for the SNES Classic Club, according to that schedule. I have OTs written for the first few games, and it's a tie-in with a bunch of code I've written to do the "Passport Stamps" for people completing challenges. If you want to also make a separate thread for any game, go ahead and do so.

TheMoon

Thanks for the new OT. By the way, you can remove Night Trap, it's out. Also, Yakuza 6 is missing.

Oh, I just went and checked, your Yakuza 6 claim never got added to the list in the old one, it seems.

Always check if your claims have been added to avoid things disappearing!

How long has it been since the Vita version and are there any big differences?
The NA Vita version that came out recently used the import OT and STILL only got 53 posts total.
Maybe a new switch OT would attract attention since switch folks are hungry for games? (I include myself in that number)

Cornbread78

Okay yeah sorry then I won't claim them. I don't have the time today or tomorrow to work on the OTs. I thought it would open up on the week of.

Oh well. Maybe next time.

Bummer. People really want a FF one at least..

The NA Vita version that came out recently used the import OT and STILL only got 53 posts total.
Maybe a new switch OT would attract attention since switch folks are hungry for games? (I include myself in that number)

Go for ot then. I mean awareness of the game, in itself, wouldn't hurt...

Zeta Oni

Ok, so there seems to be several people saying that streetdate has been broken and they've gotten their copies early for Dragons Dogma PS4/XBO in the mail this morning.

Whats the level of people I should be looking for saying something similar before I message a mod about posting the OT early, basically?

TheMoon

Ok, so there seems to be several people saying that streetdate has been broken and they've gotten their copies early for Dragons Dogma PS4/XBO in the mail this morning.

Whats the level of people I should be looking for saying something similar before I message a mod about posting the OT early, basically?

dunno, enough active gaffers with copies currently posting about it to keep an OT alive pre-release? not just 2-3, basically. 5-10-ish?

Zeta Oni

dunno, enough active gaffers with copies currently posting about it to keep an OT alive pre-release? not just 2-3, basically. 5-10-ish?

Seems to be right in the middle at 4-5 people currently, but I imagine as more people get their mail that could change.

Good point though, better to wait until there's an audience to keep the thread afloat.

Unless I'm missing something, no one's claimed Culdcept Revolt?

I'd hate to see it not get an OT, so I'll do it if no one else is.

Nemesis_

So I only just saw this as I was about to do an update today and I saw the PM that Moon sent me and I apologise. Life hit me hard like a tonne of bricks with a few deaths the past month and what not so I've been on my phone but not a laptop which is where I usually do my updates from. It's been a bad year.

If Moon is happy to take over that's all good, I just wanted to chime in because I saw in the old thread people insinuating that I "don't care" when that wasnt the case at all and I didn't want people thinking that's how I felt.

Thank you Moon!:)

Roo

I still feel like they at least should have waited for you to answer the PMs to know your opinion before taking the thread away from you after all these years.

It's not like the lack of updates in the OP ever stopped TheMoon and others from telling people what was ok to claim or not.
Then they got a mod involved.. so.

Anyway, really sorry to hear about your loses. Must have been a really hard time. Don't think I had the chance to tell you this but I appreciate all your hard work here and hopefully everything gets better from now on for you :)

TheMoon

So I only just saw this as I was about to do an update today and I saw the PM that Moon sent me and I apologise. Life hit me hard like a tonne of bricks with a few deaths the past month and what not so I've been on my phone but not a laptop which is where I usually do my updates from. It's been a bad year.

If Moon is happy to take over that's all good, I just wanted to chime in because I saw in the old thread people insinuating that I "don't care" when that wasnt the case at all and I didn't want people thinking that's how I felt.

Thank you Moon!:)

I hope it doesn't feel like we ripped this from your hands but instead like we took a burden off your shoulders. Sorry to hear about your rough patch there. I had a feeling life got in the way! Thanks for keeping the show running for all these years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom