• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What are the Sony developers up to

Gorillaz

- Naughty Dog - Uncharted 4 (PS4)
- Guerilla Games - Killzone 4 (PS3) / Aftermath (PS4)
- Polyphony Digital - Gran Turismo 5 (PS4)
- Sucker Punch - inFamous 3 (PS3)
- Media Molecule - LittleBigUniverse (PS4)
- Santa Monica - Limitless (PS4)
- Team Ico - The Last Guardian (PS4)

Codenames? Or actual working titles? Or are you guessing :p

Perkel

Banned
I think it is even more interesting that almost all mentioned by OP studios will have at least 2 years of developing time at PS4 2013 holiday release.

It is safe bet that Sony will pump games one after another after ps4 lunch with GT6 being lunch title.

They have learned and build strong 1st party support with strong their own IPs.

Dusky

I think it is even more interesting that almost all mentioned by OP studios will have at least 2 years of developing time at PS4 2013 holiday release.

It is safe bet that Sony will pump games one after another after ps4 lunch with GT6 being lunch title.

They have learned and build strong 1st party support with strong their own IPs.

Seeing as how GT Prologue sells well I'd imagine we'd see GT6: Prologue at launch and GT6 a year or so later.

Sony needs to take care of its ips better.

stop doing cheap handheld versions and quick ports. And stop rushing games.

uncharted 3 could have been the game of the generation. Instead we got a rushed game.

Give a franchise a rest after a while.

Not only that but they also need to learn when its time to cut a franchise.

for an example why did we get an resistance 3?

apperantly the game was great, but held back by the series baggage.

your post makes no sense.

UC3 wasn't a bad game but it wasn't GOTY material because of B team at ND. They didn' even get that they stuffed up the shooting mechanics. It looked amazing too, but because UC2 was such a leap up, 3 felt like more of the same visually in a way. Still an amazing game.

and for what it was worth:

Resistance 3 was a great game. The only people to blame for "series baggage" was insomniac making resistance 2 so damn shitty. removal of weapon wheel, lame boss monsters, poor visuals etc etc. You never played it so I'm not even sure why you're criticizing R3.

KAL2006

Banned
Agreed on every account. They are a small team with a big heart. Resistance Retribution was excellent. I remember they gave me a hat when I played the game at PAX. :'( I love you guys.

I would pay a lot of money for a Uncharted game on Vita with decent multiplayer. That gyro aiming would make multiplayer great. Of course with single player they can make a ton of improvements (less gimmicks, more locales, more set peices)

KAL2006

Banned
Yes, MS and its four Halo FPS, four Forza games and three Fable games is doing a much better job.

3 Uncharted games made sense for a IP big as Uncharted. 2 GoW games also makes sense. 2 Killzones is enough as it didn't do too well, give it a rest and make a comeback for Killzone next gen. 3 Resistance games was too many as well as 3 MotorStorm games. Finally to only have one GT (sonys biggest IP) this gen was a disappointment.

omonimo

Banned
UC3 wasn't a bad game but it wasn't GOTY material because of B team at ND.
ND has explained which not exist any Team A or Team B, it changes just the lead director (or something similar).

SykoTech

Part of me wishes Sucker Punch would make a Spider-Man game. They've gotten some good experience with open world, superhero games. And Sony already has a good connection to Spidey, owning the rights to the films and all. I think SP could make something really awesome, especially if it was not a direct movie tie-in which would limit creative possibilities and stuff like which villains can be used.

But Activision. :/

Well, I hope whatever Sucker Punch is making is still supehero/mascot-related.

I know they're not technically a Sony dev, but I need a PS4 full Ratchet game from Insomniac.

I'd say the chances a pretty good. (I hope!)

Oh, and this. Always this.

Dusky

I bring it up cause I wonder if they try to comeback depending on how they do with EA. Peobably not but it would be interesting.

Not sure if crawling back to Sony would be a wise move.

Anyone know how long this deal with EA goes on for? Is it just the one game or?

TripOpt55

I assume the other Naughty Dog team is working on Uncharted 4. I mean that will be fine I guess. I love Uncharted, but I wish they'd do something a bit more different. Even if they don't want to go back to cartoony games or platformers, maybe something with melee based combat or a fantasy/sci-fi setting.

Really dying to see Bend's next game. I love them so much. I'll be in for whatever they are up to. Also curious about Sucker Punch. I'd like it to not be Infamous 3. And I'm curious what Sanzaru might do after Sly. That game looks great, but I fear it will do pretty bad in sales and who knows what will happen with them after that.

yurinka

I am interested to knw wgat will happen between Sony and Insomniac after Fuse is released.
Little more interested to see what Sony thought after the change in style for fuse recieved a lukewarm to cold response from people.
Considering their poor results with their not really good games I assume Sony just ignored Fuse and didn't wan't to be involved on it at all.
I wonder what would happen to Team ICO after the last guardian is finished.
To make another game, like other teams or studios do. They are really well considered inside Sony due to the quality of their 2 first games.
If this time they have a proper management/leader and a bigger staff (they are a small team) we wouldn't need to wait other 6 years to see the next one.
I'd say Sony expects from them great games 'when ready' instead of yearly milkable IPs, this may be the 'luxurious Mario team-like treatment' that someone mentioned earlier in this thread.
I assume the other Naughty Dog team is working on Uncharted 4. I mean that will be fine I guess. I love Uncharted, but I wish they'd do something a bit more different.
For Golden Abbyss initially they wanted to make more open world. The U2 team making a sandbox Uncharted 4 for PS4 would be really crazy.

Dusky

I assume the other Naughty Dog team is working on Uncharted 4. I mean that will be fine I guess. I love Uncharted, but I wish they'd do something a bit more different. Even if they don't want to go back to cartoony games or platformers, maybe something with melee based combat or a fantasy/sci-fi setting.

Really dying to see Bend's next game. I love them so much. I'll be in for whatever they are up to. Also curious about Sucker Punch. I'd like it to not be Infamous 3. And I'm curious what Sanzaru might do after Sly. That game looks great, but I fear it will do pretty bad in sales and who knows what will happen with them after that.

I think it's pretty safe to say that ND are working on UC4.

I honestly hope SP aren't working on Infamous 3 and I doubt "the next big thing" would be another Infamous title.

Sly will likely bomb.

I wonder what would happen to Team ICO after the last guardian is finished.

That's pretty hopeful.

I-hate-u

Team Ico is probably going to disband within Japan Studios after the Last Guardian. Its not a negative because I see huge potential of Japan studios to pick up some slack and deliver unique titles in the next generation. Puppeteer is definitely a good start and who knows, maybe we get more games in the Team Ico series without Ueda from them.

yurinka

Team Ico is probably going to disband within Japan Studios after the Last Guardian. Its not a negative because I see huge potential of Japan studios to pick up some slack and deliver unique titles in the next generation. Puppeteer is definitely a good start and who knows, maybe we get more games in the Team Ico series without Ueda from them.
They are a small team (so cheap to mantain) that produced some of the most acclaimed Sony titles. Sony people mentioned several times that they had issues with the current project but that they are on it and that they have good support from the company. I'd say they won't close it.

They just need a proper management to define a clear focus with the correct goals and scope of their project according to their size and capabilities. Which means smaller projects or bigger headcount, in addition to their current colaboration with other internal teams has most of the current Sony releases had.
Anyways I wonder what going on with Ape Escape series, the last game released was in 2005.
They released several Ape Escape games since 2005 (but yep, mostly spinoffs), with the last one being the Move one which was released December 2010 (Japan I assume, I'd say it reached the western markets later).

There are so many modest IPs Sony should be divided to the VITA.

I really think their biggest IPs should stay PS4 exclusive, with titles like Ape Escape, Jak 4, Valkyria Chronicles, etc on VITA.

As huge of a library as Sony has, they need to profit better off of them. I cant imagine titles like Starhawk and Twisted Metal being too successful, or were they?

If anything, I'd love spin off titles of PS4 IPs on VITA.

How many of you would pay for a Turn based Strategy game on VITA with the Killzone lore? Sort of like Fire Emblem or Valkyria but with the Killzone IP?

Or a 2D Ratchet and Clank sidescroller with a comic book art-style? Or a Sackboy game with a unique twist of some kind? Does anyone see that working for Sony?

NBtoaster

I bring it up cause I wonder if they try to comeback depending on how they do with EA. Peobably not but it would be interesting.

They still have a relationship with Sony. It's not really a case of 'coming back' when they only just released a Sony published title last month.

Combichristoffersen

Combovers don't work when there is no hair

I really think their biggest IPs should stay PS4 exclusive, with titles like Ape Escape, Jak 4, Valkyria Chronicles, etc on VITA.

As huge of a library as Sony has, they need to profit better off of them. I cant imagine titles like Starhawk and Twisted Metal being too successful, or were they?

If anything, I'd love spin off titles of PS4 IPs on VITA.

How many of you would pay for a Turn based Strategy game on VITA with the Killzone lore? Sort of like Fire Emblem or Valkyria but with the Killzone IP?

Or a 2D Ratchet and Clank sidescroller with a comic book art-style? Or a Sackboy game with a unique twist of some kind? Does anyone see that working for Sony?

Twisted Metal at least broke even according to Jaffe (I thought it bombed, but he corrected me in a thread earlier this year), and may possibly have been slightly profitable. Starhawk probably bombed though.

There's already a 2D Java-based R&C game for phones BTW. It's actually not too bad.

Leflus

That's a Sega IP, and they already tried that approach with Valkyria Chronicles 2 and 3 on the PSP. Sony should try to convince them to make a new one for the Vita though.

They are a small team (so cheap to mantain) that produced some of the most acclaimed Sony titles. Sony people mentioned several times that they had issues with the current project but that they are on it and that they have good support from the company. I'd say they won't close it.

They just need a proper management to define a clear focus with the correct goals and scope of their project according to their size and capabilities. Which means smaller projects or bigger headcount, in addition to their current colaboration with other internal teams has most of the current Sony releases had.

a lot of talent has already left and ueda is only sticking with it until they finish it. the studio's pretty much dead.

HooYaH

I do hope that Sony kills off some series, reboot, or pass it on to another dev.

Killzone - kill it off or reboot (I know some people love the series, but the game just needs a fresh start. I WOULD rather play as a Helghast than a ISA.)
Uncharted - let ND A team do a new IP before doing another Uncharted (Having more IPs in the beginning of a new cycle is always good.)
LBP - Just better on the Vita. New IP from MM would be good.
Motorstorm - kill it off
InFamous - I imagine SP are working on something new and this series is on hold or passed to another dev.

I wouldn't be surprised if one of the new studios is making a WRPG. I do wonder why Sony haven't done a new Ape Escape game and would rather have it than Ratchet.

I do hope that Sony kills off some series, reboot, or pass it on to another dev.

Killzone - kill it off or reboot (I know some people love the series, but the game just needs a fresh start. I WOULD rather play as a Helghast than a ISA.)
Uncharted - let ND A team do a new IP before doing another Uncharted (Having more IPs in the beginning of a new cycle is always good.)
Motorstorm - kill it off
InFamous - I imagine SP are working on something new and this series is on hold or passed to another dev.

I wouldn't be surprised if one of the new studios is making a WRPG. I do wonder why Sony haven't done a new Ape Escape game and would rather have it than Ratchet.

Kill of Killzone? Reboot?

Killzone has so much more to go. 3 was nonsense IMO, but they can repeat the Killzone 2 hype next gen. All they have to do is nail the story, bring back Killzone 2 elements over Killzone 3, and flesh out MP and co-op. So much potential that GG fails to capitalize on that has resulted in the series quick waning.

As much as I loved K2's MP, there was a lot they could improve on. Killzone 3 was one huge step to the side, and one step back. If they can properly improve on the MP, I can see a lot of people sticking around. Battlefield did a fantastic job of making me believe squad based MP can work over arena-type shooters on consoles.

I fully expect a Killzone 4 launch title.

I'd like Uncharted to take a break, and expect a new IP from ND. I think the MP has a lot of juice left if it goes back to UC2-style MP

I'd hope Sony has the sense to reboot SOCOM as a launch title

After Tearaway, I want a new PS4 IP from Mm, and LBP 3D Land a la Super Mario/Sonic Adventure. Hopefully by then enough titles would be developing for the VITA that Mm can focus on PS4.

cyborg009

Banned
They released several Ape Escape games since 2005 (but yep, mostly spinoffs), with the last one being the Move one which was released December 2010 (Japan I assume, I'd say it reached the western markets later).

I know about those but as in the main series we haven't heard anything. And whoa at the crap that happen in Socom 4 development.

edit: Parappa The Rappa need a resurrection.

yurinka

a lot of talent has already left and ueda is only sticking with it until they finish it. the studio's pretty much dead.
'A lot of talent' = Ueda and a non development related executive? Maybe they were the reason of bad management and lack of focus and project goals. In this case the talented dev team would do a better job with proper management.
I want Parappa in Vita taking advantage of touchscreen and some eventual gyro and mic stuff usage for some specific parts.

magawolaz

- Naughty Dog - Uncharted 4 (PS4)
- Guerilla Games - Killzone 4 (PS3) / Aftermath (PS4)
- Polyphony Digital - Gran Turismo 5 (PS4)
- Sucker Punch - inFamous 3 (PS3)
- Media Molecule - LittleBigUniverse (PS4)
- Santa Monica - Limitless (PS4)
- Team Ico - The Last Guardian (PS4)

mMrXF.png

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
That's rumoured to be Guerilla.
Do you have a source for that?

Has anyone with industry ties said that? I wish that would be true because they wouldn't make an RPG that didn't have hit detection and I think that adds so much to a game. :p

'A lot of talent' = Ueda and a non development related executive? Maybe they were the reason of bad management and lack of focus and project goals. In this case the talented dev team would do a better job with proper management.

kenji kaido, yoshifusa hayama and ueda. at least that's what i remember. i'm not saying they may or may not be the problem, but ueda was the main guy, without him they're just a bunch of developers, i have no faith in the studio without ueda.

Sony will put a leash on it and get rid of Ueda, but you don't give up a prestigious name like that.

What name? There is no "Team Ico", they're officially just Sony Japan.

Motorstorm - kill it off

Rebooting Killzone isn't an option, it's too recent a series. KZ3 jumped the shark by a light year but they could easily settle that by revealing that there are millions of surviving Helghans in bunkers.

I do think it needs a different approach though. My dream "Killzone 4" would put the player in an elite Helghan squad that's tasked with tracking down and executing Rico, who the ISA have hidden away somewhere. No huge set pieces or battles, just a tighter more focused story that lets them jump around different places and explore the KZ universe, while building off the idiotic decisions Rico's made throughout the series. It'd be great.

There are no A or B teams in ND but uh, they're already working on a new IP. Last of Us.

Disagree about LBP. I think it'd be a great idea to treat the series like Nintendo treats a lot of their franchises. Release a single installment for each system and move the team onto something else until the next system comes out. They could still be supported with DLC but there's no need for multiple installments on a single platform.

I know about those but as in the main series we haven't heard anything. And whoa at the crap that happen in Socom 4 development.

I really don't understand why they didn't bring Parappa back right at the height of the rhythm game genre. They could've brought him back, supported all the stupid plastic instruments and tried to revive the franchise. Instead they ported the first game to PSP and sat on their asses. It makes absolutely no sense.

Gorillaz

Has anyone with industry ties said that? I wish that would be true because they wouldn't make an RPG that didn't have hit detection and I think that adds so much to a game. :p
Its been rumored since last yearish that they were making a RPG. All I heard was a mix of Killzone and final fantasy. Dont kno how true it was tho since that was a year ago.

Dusky

There's no strong source to say their new IP is an RPG but I think a lot of people are hopeful since their new IP supposedly has a fantasy setting. Basically if one of Sony's first parties are developing a WRPG Guerilla look to be the ones that are most likely to do it.

Top Bottom