• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(Rumour) AMD R290x (9970) benchmarks leak - faster than Nvidia Titan

Azulsky

He doesn't link the source but my bet is that graph is based on a crazy stupid amount of AA that gives no visual benefit but tanks the framerate.

Edit: Found it, it's the CoH2 review on tech spot. The benchmark doesn't even show what the AA is. It just has the option of low, medium or high AA. lol

That would be kinda interesting because historically I recall AMD cards handling AA better when comparing the same generation vs Nvidia, mostly because AMD usually always one ups Nvidia on the Mem Bus Width.

Gvaz

Banned
$600? Not worth it, not buying it.

Then again, I wouldn't spend more than $400 for any graphics card ever.

x3sphere

There will surely be a cheaper part under the top end model, though probably not as low as $400. If the R290x is faster or equal to Titan I would expect the card under it to match a 780 at least.

Usually with AMD cards, they don't gimp the lesser models that much. 7950 is a good example. Very close to a 7970 and overclocks just as well.

Are they going to announce a full range?

I am selling my crossfire 7850's and will have £300-400 in total to get a new card. Probably wont be able to afford top one but I will probably get the equivalent of 7950.

artist

Banned
ajtorl.png

hehehe

Well, shaders must be new, a GCN 2.0 in fact. Pitty is that although it will be the best graphics architecture ever they haven´t called it the 9800 pro in honor of the second best architecture ever.
I wonder if PS4 has these GCN 2.0 shaders too and is Curacao based instead of Pitcairn.

tipoo

Banned

It has implications for the entire generation of cards though. Their architecture appears even more efficient than Kepler, without even a die shrink, if this is true. Mid range cards would presumably get much better too.

DieH@rd

Banned
It would be disappointing if it wasn't faster than a card that is 6 months older.

No, this time it would not be disappointing, because Nvidia went with full on brute force approach, creating incredibly large chip size.

AMD is much more "sane" in their approach, and because of that they have much better better price/preformance ratio.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
I hope it's faster than a titan and at $450-600 price range just to light a fire under Nvidia's greedy ass. Bring the competition, AMD. Pretty please.

x-Lundz-x

Sounds like this is what I'll be building my new PC around next year assuming the price is right. It's got to be 500 or less though, that is my limit for GPU's.

nib95

Banned
Whilst that sounds great, $600 is pretty ridiculous. Will probably translate to £500 here in the UK, which is far too much for a graphics card for me personally. I don't have higher than a 1920 x 1200 monitor anyway and I feel like cards like this are better geared towards higher resolutions.

It would be disappointing if it wasn't faster than a card that is 6 months older.

It is completely dependent on the price. The Titan is 6 months older but it's still a $1000 card. If AMD is aggressive with pricing and can offer Titan power at the $500-600, it's exciting. If they bring Titan power at $700 - 1000, it will be disappointing.

Drazgul

Whilst that sounds great, $600 is pretty ridiculous. Will probably translate to £500 here in the UK, which is far too much for a graphics card for me personally. I don't have higher than a 1920 x 1200 monitor anyway and I feel like cards like this are better geared towards higher resolutions.

That's the flagship model, there'll be cheaper ones too.

It would be less disappointing if the price reflected that.

It is completely dependent on the price. The Titan is 6 months older but it's still a $1000 card. If AMD is aggressive with pricing and can offer Titan power at the $500-600, it's exciting. If they bring Titan power at $700 - 1000, it will be disappointing.

Agreed about the pricing being key, although i thought that wouldn't explicitly mentioning.

I'm not budging on it being anything other than expected though. This is their new line of GPUs after nearly two years. It should be faster than Nvidia's current offering in power terms given Nvidia are on a similar time frame in regards to architecture, give or take (i.e 6xx being all but the 7xx series).

inherendo

Die size is a big factor in price. This won't cost anywhere near what titan launched at.

People complaining about a 600 card, this is the high end single gpu flag ship. Historically they have always been in this range for both companies.

I just want something that can give me a card in the 250-300€ price range :(

For this that is pretty much my new gpu budget so hopefully a R290(9950 right?)
But maybe end of next year i might get an 4k screen and sli or Xfire a setup if i can land a fulltime job that summer :p

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
$600 and better than a Titan would be pretty killer. But the frametimes are a bit more over the place with AMD over Nvidia.

Either way, hope it lights a fire under Nvidia to deliver a badass Titan 2 for a bit more affordable price.

Regardless, loving my watercooled Titan - thing kicks ass.

Arkanius

One thing that would make me jump AMD forever?
Good Linux support. Damn their drivers are horrible.

I hope they pick the pace with SteamOS now

Top Bottom