• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

FF7 Remake looking at FFXIII saga as model for release, possible plot changes

Daft Punk

Banned
no.gif

Sesha

so its more of a spin-off rather than a remake?

I'd say it's getting closer to a remaining, at this point. Not quite Silent Hill: Shattered Memories territory, but less faithful to the original than remakes like Rise of the Triad or REmake.

antitrop

I like the three act idea.

Act 1 is the Opening until the team leaves Midgar.
Act 2 is exploring the world until Cloud
hands over the Black Materia and Aeris/Aerith is killed.
Act 3 is Cloud's
awakening
and the end of the game.

Simple, really.

They can cram so much into that. The Turks show up across all three games, Cid, Red XIII, Yuffie and Vincent don't arrive until game 2, the WEAPONS don't arrive until the end of game 2, the Golden Saucer and Costa Del Sol are relaxation points, etc., etc.

Hmmm. I was already excited before, but now I'm getting kinda hyped beyond what I should be.
Act 1 as you describe it is less than 10% of the entire game. I know they said they were going to put effort into expanding the opening Midgar portion of the game for the Remake, but yeah... Having from Midgar to Kalm be 30% of the game would be a pretty wild change.

Bitanator

People really want three separate 30 hour games to tell the final fantasy VII story? Would that not be a bit overkill. 30+ hours for the whole game would be sufficient enough to me.

CGwizz

I would prefer in 2 parts but i guess this works too, i hope they had some new stuff in the game and make proper 40 hours plus rpgs in all parts.

Act 1 as you describe it is less than 10% of the entire game. I know they said they were going to put effort into expanding the opening Midgar portion of the game for the Remake, but yeah... Having opening Midgar be 30% of the game would be a pretty wild change.

I think that by plot changes, making all the things in Midgar be way more important could do a lot.

Biggs and Wedge can be plot critical and actual characters instead of "well shit they died that sucks I guess".

Idk I have faith it'll be fine no matter how they parse it out.

Act 1 as you describe it is less than 10% of the entire game. I know they said they were going to put effort into expanding the opening Midgar portion of the game for the Remake, but yeah... Having from Midgar to Kalm be 30% of the game would be a pretty wild change.

Asset-wise, however, Midgar is definitely the most dense part of the game, depending on how they execute the whole world map thing. The third disc in particular is a whole lot of nothing (and was, by all accounts, fairly rushed - in interviews later Nomura, Kitase & others said part of why FF8s final dungeon was so massive was they were making amends for FF7).

Tenrius

So we'll get:

Final Fantasy VII: Type-Zeroes
Final Fantasy VII-2: Red XIII
Final Fantasy VII-3:
Aeris
Returns

Isn't this almost exactly what they said back at PSX, but people just went "Oh no that's just what they want you to think. Let me tell you what they're really going to do!" ?

Boke1879

People really want three separate 30 hour games to tell the final fantasy VII story? Would that not be a bit overkill. 30+ hours for the whole game would be sufficient enough to me.

If they are expanding and making things bigger like they say. Then sure. It seems like Midgar itself is going to be huge

Yep, a good amount of the people that developed FF7 and those working on the remake know how important Aerith death is to the game.
...which is why they'll switch it up since everyone will be expecting it. This time it's going to be Sephiroth that dies in that scene!

Isn't this almost exactly what they said back at PSX, but people just went "Oh no that's just what they want you to think. Let me tell you what they're really going to do!" ?

Other than the "we'll probably make some plot changes" stuff, pretty much.

those threads were fun.

Sesha

As long as they nail the Midgar chapter, keep the overall flow of the story the same, keep the goofy elements like Yuffie's "arc" and stuff like Red XIII dressing up and wobbling on his hind legs on the ship from Junon (I'm not worried about the cross-dressing considering how much they're banging on about it), and most important of all, keep the horror elements, I'm game with whatever changes they make to the story. I'm pretty sure they're going to make Cloud a lot less goofy and a lot more mopey, so I'm not gonna fret about that.

Edit: IMO there's three likely scenarios for how they will split up the story/progression:

Scenario 1:

FF7R-I: Midgar
FF7R-II: Kalm-North Crater
FF7R-III: Back in Junon-Ending

Scenario 2:

FF7R-I: Midgar
FF7R-II: Kalm-Forbidden Capital
FF7R-III: Corel Valley Cave-Ending

Scenario 3:

FF7R-I: Midgar-Junon
FF7R-II: Costa del Sol-North Crater
FF7R-III: Back in Junon-Ending

Unless they add new areas or significant story elements I'm skeptical how they'll do it otherwise. Assuming they stick to three parts and not four.

Edit 2: I just realized the part when Cloud rejoins the party in disc 2 is also a significant moment story wise that could work as a natural cutting point.

Giolon

Aeris Returns: Final Fantasy VII?

The ~30 hour chunk strategy seems like a potentially good idea to me.

The one change I really want them to make is no random battles. Random battles are terrible. Random spawns are fine, just give the chance to dodge them when I don't want to fight them.

OmegaDL50

I still honestly don't think this thing will be finished. Unless they make the development times really short, I can't see FF7 Ep3 even coming out on this gen of consoles.

Look at how long FF15 has taken.

It's good that they've identified that it will be a 3-part release and they are willing to cut or change the story to make this possible, at least.

I'd be into tonnes of streamlining, honestly. No real grinding (just hide secrets or additional challenges off the main path), streamline or cut aspects of the battle system and/or materia, node-based "over world," and so on.

4 years of active development really isn't a long time for a game of FFXV's scope. Some people make it sound like FFXV was full steam ahead for all 10 years or so but this was never the case. It was mostly planning stages and pre-production. A significant majority of FFXV's work was done from 2012 to 2016.

The FFXIII trilogy was released over a 4 year period. FFXIII in 2010, FFXIII-2 in 2011, and Lightning Returns in 2013, and a majority of it's work was mainly from the initial game which started production in 2004.

FF7 having shorter dev cycles to release three 30+ hour length games doesn't mean it will be sat on for years with minimal progress made for the trilogy to complete.

deriks

4-Time GIF/Meme God
Just do like the original CDs
The first part is the first CD and etc
That will do fine

If they're going to be making adjustments and changes to the story, can they bring Cissnei back from Crisis Core? Just Cissnei....fuck Genesis...

Just do like the original CDs
The first part is the first CD and etc
That will do fine

The big problem with this is that the final disc has next to nothing in it. In terms of the original FF7, for instance, it probably only adds about 30 new CG backgrounds to the game in one major location. The final disc is basically a whole lot of grinding through a fairly bland dungeon and a final boss. Indeed, the only reason (supposedly) FF7's third disc couldn't fit on the second was the size of the 10-minute ending FMV, which was like a fifth of all the FMV in the game period. I'm sure they'll make a point to execute it better here, but disc 2 is very dense and disc 3 not very at all, so I can see the split falling in a different place, IE after handing over the Black Materia.

antitrop

I actually liked alot that in FFVIIR trailer you see Cloud having a mind problem that they added.

Cloud freaking out right before you fight Guard Scorpion? That was in the original game.

EDIT: Oh, you mean when he's running away from the Shinra soldiers before he jumps on the train, yeah, that wasn't in the original game. I got confused.

Sesha

Aeris is still gonna die, but I have a feeling they'll add story bits where the party will meet her again.

Raguel

How much do you guys think each game will cost to purchase? My friends and i are arguing about it. They are aaying 60 bucks per game. I think it will be less

Boke1879

Cloud freaking out right before you fight Guard Scorpion? That was in the original game.

EDIT: Oh, you mean when he's running away from the Shinra soldiers before he jumps on the train, yeah, that wasn't in the original game.

I think he meant when the troops where surrounding him before he jumped on the train.

Top Bottom