• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Ripping Thread - How to build your own legit retro ROM library.

Choppasmith, thanks for the great walkthrough. I had an old SD card backup on my HDD of my Wii and got my ROMs off of it, but I know it didn't have all the ones I own on it. Is there anyway to extract ROMs from the overflow SD Card storage without having to move the data around on the Wii? I have an unmodded Wii U that I migrated all my Wii VC licenses to and it's boxed up in storage, so if I can extract them from my SD Card backup alone I'd quite like that.

Choppasmith, thanks for the great walkthrough. I had an old SD card backup on my HDD of my Wii and got my ROMs off of it, but I know it didn't have all the ones I own on it. Is there anyway to extract ROMs from the overflow SD Card storage without having to move the data around on the Wii? I have an unmodded Wii U that I migrated all my Wii VC licenses to and it's boxed up in storage, so if I can extract them from my SD Card backup alone I'd quite like that.

Sadly no, when you move VC and other games to an SD Card it basically creates private//title/(4 Digit Title Code)/content.bin which is encrypted. I even tried it just now, ShowMiiWads won't read this file.

Your best bet is to Jailbreak your Wii U's isolated Wii mode (known as vWii). It's safe and painless even if you're still playing your Wii U and don't want to deal with Wii U homebrew and any risk of bricking or getting banned, it's completely separate.

I didn't post since everything happened, but let's go, this is it.

This isn't a battle between forums, this isn't about killing GAF or anything like that.

If you think this is the point, then the point flies right over your head.

People are leaving by princinples. People are leaving because they do not want to be represented here. People are leaving because they don't want to support a platform for which the owner does not reflect the image and values they want to share.

If you think this is just a forum for which the owner has nothing to gain, you're wrong. Being here and providing content creates traffic, traffic sees ad. Owner gains profit with ad revenue. If you don't want to support the owner of this platform, the best way to NOT help is by either quitting or not posting or visiting here in the future.

People leaving aren't doing it for fun, it's a form of protest, to make a statement that they do not accept or support the behavior of the owner.

That is most likely my final post here. I fucking loved NeoGAF for the 7 years I was here. I loved the communities, but now is the time to leave.

I deleted all my work here, saved everything and will transfer at the new place.

For those of you who stay, I wish you a nice continuation.

For those who migrate, see you on the other side. ;)

I gotta go where my primary interests are, and this was a big, BIG one. Catch you on the flip side, Seik. Thanks for all your work, and I hope to support that going forward.

jholmes

I wanted to make a quick step by step guide for users like jholmes wanting to rip their VC Collection. I'll eventually make an easy all inclusive zip package when I get some time off from work in a few days but this should get you started, My setup is a Wii U and PC running Windows 10. The process shouldn't be too different on original Wii/other OS. This tutorial will assume you have a Wii/Wii U already hacked to run Wii Homebrew

Getting Started:

What you'll need:

Dump Mii NAND: Download and extract to your SD Card used for Wii Homebrew (The Homebrew Channel will not read high capacity cards) I recommend an 8 GB Card). When properly extracted, it should have the folder structure: SD Card/apps/DmpMiNND/

Python 2.7: Download the installer (x86 for 32 Bit or x86-64 for 64 Bit Windows) run the setup and install.

Show Mii Wads Download and extract to a folder. This is a PC program.

VC Rom Claim Python Script: Click Clone or Download and Download to Zip. Extract to a folder.

Got it? Okay let's get started!

The Process

1. Self Explanatory step: Make sure your Wii/vWii has all the games you want downloaded to SYSTEM memory. This process will not work with VC Downloads stored on an SD Card. If you have a lot of games, you'll have to delete/move your games and repeat this process.

2 Load up The Homebrew Channel with your SD Card and run Dump Mii NAND. It should be an automatic process. This will take a good 30 minutes or so. Just let it run and your system will reboot automatically when finished.

3 Remove the SD Card and load it up on your PC. In addition to the apps folder, you should see two files, nand.bin and keys.bin. Copy these to your PC in an easy to find place (I recommend the vcromclaim folder, but it really doesn't matter) and delete them from your SD Card.

4 Run ShowMiiWads and go Tools > Extract BootMii Dump. Find and select nand.bin (It is IMPORTANT that keys.bin is in the same directory as nand.bin!)

5 The window might hang with a Not Responding message for about a minute. There's NO indication! The program does NOT notify you about completion! At least for me on my PC. Afterward check where you've placed nand.bin and you should see a folder called nand-extracteda.

6 Open a Command Prompt/Power Shell

7 Now go to vcromclaim folder and drag wiimetadata.py to the the Command Prompt/Power Shell window. The full directory should appear at the prompt. In my case it's C:UsersXDownloadsvcromclaim-masterwiimetadata.py After this press Space. DON'T HIT ENTER JUST YET!

8 Like Step 7. Click and Drag the nand-extracteda FOLDER into the Command Prompt/Power Shell window.

9 The prompt should now have the line something like this
Code:
C:UsersXDownloadsvcromclaim-masterwiimetadata.py C:UsersXDownloadsvcromclaim-masternand-extracteda

10 With a space between the two directories. NOW press Enter and it should bring up another window detailing the extracting process. Shouldn't take much longer than a few minutes. Check your nand.bin directory and you should see your ROMs and any save files that might have been present.

11 As said above, if you have MORE games, delete the bin files, and the nand-extracteda folder, move or delete the current VC games on your Wii/vWii's system memory, download your other games from the Wii Shop Channel and just repeat the process.

Quite belated but thanks again for putting this together, I wouldn't have been able to do it alone. A few NES games resisted the process and I could not get Indiana Jones SNES to not crash the script, but I got all the rest.

Top Bottom