• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The GPD XD Handheld Android Console

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Thanks for the answers guys. OK dumb question time....can the GPD WIN be used as a Bluetooth keyboard for *OTHER* devices such as laptops and the PS4?

I've recently purchased the GPD Q9 (the XD's predecessor) and I'm very happy with it!

The reason I bought this one instead of the XD is because the position of the Q9's d-pad seems to be more comfortable for retrogaming. The XD's d-pad reminds me of the 3DS' d-pad (obviously), which I'm not a big fan of.

I'd still like to buy an XD in the future, though, so I'd like to know if my fears of its d-pad are unfounded. My question for you XD owners is thusly: How do you feel about the d-pad?

Another question: I've noticed several highly-rated emulators (the .EMU ones, like MD.EMU and NEO.EMU) have problems with simultaneous button presses (at least on my Q9). Trying to do a simple move like a back attack in Golden Axe or Streets Of Rage (pressing B + C simultaneously) doesn't work about eight out of ten times. Anybody know if this problem prevails on the XD?

I haven't noticed any problems with multiple simultaneous button presses on the XD, whether in Retroarch or other emulators.

Having said that, I've owned two XDs now and neither of them had very satisfying dpads or buttons. They always felt mushy and unsatisfying. They aren't absolutely terrible, they aren't unusable, but they're not great when compared to either a 3DS or a PS Vita. Although plugging a wired gamepad or arcade stick into the micro-USB slot is an option.

I have had a screen failure in one of my XDs effectively killing it, and although I haven't encountered it, they do also have a reputation for critical battery issues while charging. If my current XD dies on me, I won't be replacing it.

And while the GPD Win looked interesting, the accumulation of issues I've encountered makes me really hesitant to spend $400 on a GPD device. Maybe those are more reliable, I haven't looked into the GPD Win's reputation at great length.

retroman

I haven't noticed any problems with multiple simultaneous button presses on the XD, whether in Retroarch or other emulators.

Having said that, I've owned two XDs now and neither of them had very satisfying dpads or buttons. They always felt mushy and unsatisfying. They aren't absolutely terrible, they aren't unusable, but they're not great when compared to either a 3DS or a PS Vita. Although plugging a wired gamepad or arcade stick into the micro-USB slot is an option.

I have had a screen failure in one of my XDs effectively killing it, and although I haven't encountered it, they do also have a reputation for critical battery issues while charging. If my current XD dies on me, I won't be replacing it.

And while the GPD Win looked interesting, the accumulation of issues I've encountered makes me really hesitant to spend $400 on a GPD device. Maybe those are more reliable, I haven't looked into the GPD Win's reputation at great length.

Thanks for your reply!

A comfy d-pad is really important to me, so I might wait for a device with one that better suits my needs. For now, my GPD Q9 will suffice. I'm just glad the "simultaneous button press"-issue is only present in the Robert Broglia emulators, so my MAME gaming sessions are problem-free :)

Thanks for your reply!

A comfy d-pad is really important to me, so I might wait for a device with one that better suits my needs. For now, my GPD Q9 will suffice. I'm just glad the "simultaneous button press"-issue is only present in the Robert Broglia emulators, so my MAME gaming sessions are problem-free :)

Have you tried Retroarch on your Q9? It covers pretty much every system that those Broglia emulators do, and it's free. It might alleviate the issue in the meantime. And even absent the problem I grew to prefer Retroarch overall.

But yeah, the general mushiness of the dpad and buttons led me to use my XD less over time. It's still good to pick up a JRPG on, but generally I use my Nvidia Shield K1 and Shield TV a lot more these days for Android emulation.

I think GPD was planning an XD-2 for a while, but they've since canned the idea and have apparently moved on from making Android devices altogether.

retroman

Have you tried Retroarch on your Q9? It covers pretty much every system that those Broglia emulators do, and it's free. It might alleviate the issue in the meantime. And even absent the problem I grew to prefer Retroarch overall.

Thanks, I'm going to give it a shot!

Thanks, I'm going to give it a shot!

One of the cool things about Retroarch is once you get it set up and familiarize yourself with it (and it does have something of a learning curve that can frustrate at first) you can get it up and running on other platforms too.

I currently have a cloud-saving setup with Retroarch spanning Android, Windows, and MacOS devices that works surprisingly well.

I've had that Gpd XD now for a couple of weeks and this device is amazing. I've owned various android devices for emulation etc previously and all have had a design flaw or two. But this one, absolutely spot on.

Takes a while to get retroarch set up and then arc browser for the front end. But once it's all done it is a complete go to machine for emulation. Love the PlayStation emulator in retroarch and it's ability to upscale 2x all assets. Makes games look so clean! I'd recommend this device to anyone interested.

Helps to that it runs a fair few android games at full speed. Vice city runs in full 720p at a total locked 60fps.

Are you guys putting Linux on it or something? I dunno how you can stand the input lag. Why not go with the Windows version?

I've not got any input lag on mine and believe me I'd of sent it back straight away had I noticed any.

First thing I did was try out DDR on the PS1 to test it, as that's my go to game for checking out lag and i was hitting everything perfectly in sync.

Are you on stock ROM? I am on legacy Ron whether that makes a difference or not

Top Bottom