• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New study estimates college football team valuations, three teams are over $1 billion

Chichikov

Title IX scholarship balances ("opportunities") between genders are very strict. Pay would need to be close to equalized across the genders in sports to pass muster right now.

There's certainly reason to believe paying only football players or male basketball players, or paying all but them disproportionately, would violate Title IX as currently written. Thus the need for amending.

Using it as reason to defeat paying college athletes is a disingenuous concern but it's not a false one.
Again, the fact that coaches of male programs get paid (much) more than their females counterparts has been challenged in court and it was found to not be in violation of Title IX.

Though honestly, this is always just concern trolling, you'll notice how people that push this argument are always against paying players for other reasons too. Really, the idea that we all want to pay the players but gosh darn it those damn judges don't let us is beyond silly.

Cagey

Banned
Again, the fact that coaches of male programs get paid (much) more than their females counterparts has been challenged in court and it was found to not be in violation of Title IX.

Though honestly, this is always just concern trolling, you'll notice how people that push this argument are always against paying players for other reasons too. Really, the idea that we all want to pay the players but gosh darn it those damn judges don't let us is beyond silly.
Again, Collegiate student scholarships are rather rigidly scrutinized for gender parity, and pay would be to students. Student scholarship are more analogous. It's not as cut and dry as courts have found pay for college coaches to not need equality, therefore there's no potential issue.

Actually the answer is incredibly easy.

Kids get their food, clothing and board + a degree and the ability to make money from endorsements that don't interfear with existing college sponsorships ie aparell ect.

Problem is that would never happen because the reason Student Athletes aren't paid is so that NCAA schools can continue to avoid paying tax on income generated from college sports.

Oh, so I'm glad we can take care of the Lamar Jacksons who can get huge endorsement deals. Sucks for that backup Left Guard who sacrifices just as much of his time, takes the same classload, but isn't marketable. But as long as we take care of the stars, it should all work out.

Your solution doesn't really solve anything.

Again, it's not easy.

Chichikov

Again, Collegiate student scholarships are rather rigidly scrutinized for gender parity, and pay would be to students. Student scholarship are more analogous. It's not as cut and dry as courts have found pay for college coaches to not need equality, therefore there's no potential issue.
They're scrutinized for sure, but even there, there isn't an equal number of athletic scholarship for men as there are for women, and again, courts have repeatedly ruled that schools are allowed to spend more money on men programs, which of course they do.

At the end of the day though, it will be whatever the court rules, but the main point is that arguing that this is what blocking schools from paying athletes is disingenuous. If we as a society decided to pay college athletes, we could easily do it, even if it requires some tweaking to title IX (which again, I don't think it does).

This list having BC above West Virginia automatically invalidates the entire thing in my eyes.

Results like that really need to be explained because there is no way that's true.

Ogodei

That will never not make me laugh. I can't conceive of a reason why you would ever donate to your college. You paid them for your education, this transaction is over.

You can earmark donations to help parts of the college that you felt were underfunded.

I tend to disagree with it myself, but i'm also going to start working in a college's advancement department on Monday, so i shouldn't get too critical :p

Top Bottom