• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS (crowdsourcing) racing sim by Slightly Mad Studios (fully funded 3.75M)

Blizzard

Banned
Challenge accepted!
Way to get a post ending in 50 there, buddy! ;p

Reposted because I love you all.
Build 202 (27/4/12, Team Member+)Update rolling start option accordingly when selected track forces rolling start
Fix AI throttle cap at 100%.
Adjusted helmet cam exposure to suit new art
Added the ability to submit flags with stats. In the future, the stats will be used to record information like whether or not driving aids were enabled during the record lap.
Removed obsolete API to submit records without sector times
In car view exhaust resonation layer enabled
New Azure Coast reverse HUD map added
Enabling helmet cam audio dampening
Bodywork_Carbon Max shaders. Changed specular settings for carbon to look the same as vehicles_basic
New Besos textures checked in
Bodywork_Carbon Max shaders. Specular settings for Matte option updated
Adjust LOD/CUL settings such that distant cars don't disappear so early
Belgian Forest - update trees for new terrain/new treewals and fixed few crowds intersections
Added the California HUD maps
New Palmer JPLM export
New Anhalt exports
New Bathurst export
New Belgian Forest export
New Besos exports
New Loire exports
New Sakitto exports

Build 201 (26/4/12, Senior Manager)
Adding Chesterfield and California co-ord's
Updated HUD maps with correct T1/2 text
Build script update to add cumulative patching using RTPatch
Bathurst fix for floating instances issues
Bathurst test texturemaps for 3d trees
Belgian Forest - Add new textures
Stock car 1990 - Interior texture. Initial check in.
New Bathurst export

Build 200 (25/4/12, Senior Manager)
Fixed bodywork2 shader with bonnetcam envmap, protect against sampling NaNs
Tweak g-force effects on helmet mesh
Added missing remappable controls to UI
Animation update : paddle animations for GT driver, index finger and thumb now hold the same position
Added Chesterfield HUD map
Color adjust desaturated grass stuff
Helmetview: reverted geometry offset, blurred visor polish, bit of love and magic
Anhalt GP autograss initial version
Palmer JPLM: LODs polished, CPIT optimized, AO added to all LODs + new export
Palmer JPLM: full check + minor fix
Increased decell lock to 50-80% on the diff's of most cars to adress trailing throttle oversteer. Also tweaked the preload and most got a 30% increase. Some increases to acell side where needed to balance throttle oversteer. all cars changed except: Karts, Formula A and B
Set weight distribution non-adjustable on Formula A and B
Added new Azure Coast HUD map
New Palmer JPLM export
New Anhalt exports

Build 199 (24/4/12, Manager+)
Detection of short time after vehicle-to-vehicle contact is now done for all vehicles
Disabled adjustment of inertia tensor for AI vehicles
Re-position helmet mesh for better visibility and realism
Blur helmet mesh slightly (not working for visor yet, to be investigated)
SMAA (levels) runtime code for GUI options
Updated Fanatec SDK to fix runtime calling convention crash. Cleaner layout of libs also
Stockcar 90: new ambient shadow with improved borders
SMAA GUI options added + applinks
Jaguar JPLM - Interior texture. Initial check in.
BAC MONO: livery02.Initial check in.
BAC MONO: new silver wheel.Initial check in.
Derby track maps with new T1/2 text repositioned
California track map with new T1/2 text repositioned
BAC Mono: enabled liveries for black paint material on Livery 1+2
Helmetview - geometry offset and visor tweaks (logos out, texture blur, visual tweaks...)

Build 198 (23/4/12, Senior Manager)
Updated Fanatec CSW FFB defaults
Belgian Forest - add temporary terrain texture
Mitsubishi and Caper logos added
END OF RACE screen updated (as per WMD forum issue) and player can now click on the RWD/FWD buttons
Bologna textures. PSDs for new materials updated textures
F77, changed 3pv camera roof poosition, showing more of driver + animation review changes
BAC Mono: Improved front hoodlock resolution
New BAC Mono export

How's the stock car looking/feeling?

_machine

How's the stock car looking/feeling?
pcars2012-04-2718-24-swpll.gif

I think that sums it nicely; I friggin love it!

I've never been able to slide and connect slides in a sim as nicely as I can slide the caper with a pad. As I mentioned previously, it feels quite a bit like a tuned 320i BMW; you can control the back end very nicely with the throttle and even though the suspension is a bit bouncy the steering feels pretty precise. It doesn't even tend to snap anywhere as easily as the other cars except F68. In fact, I gave the BMW's owner a go with the pad and having only played games like DiRT,GT5 and Forza he said that he hasn't played anything like pCars before(In a good way, off course ;).

That said, it does suffer a bit from the undergrippyfront-syndrome like most of the cars, but I believe AJ/Doug is going to solve it eventually.

It seems we're also getting closer to getting that MP, though it's still coming "as soon as it's ready": Linky

pcars2012-04-2718-24-swpll.gif

I think that sums it nicely; I friggin love it!

I've never been able to slide and connect slides in a sim as nicely as I can slide the caper with a pad. As I mentioned previously, it feels quite a bit like a tuned 320i BMW; you can control the back end very nicely with the throttle and even though the suspension is a bit bouncy the steering feels pretty precise. It doesn't even tend to snap anywhere as easily as the other cars except F68. In fact, I gave the BMW's owner a go with the pad and having only played games like DiRT,GT5 and Forza he said that he hasn't played anything like pCars before(In a good way, off course ;).

That said, it does suffer a bit from the undergrippyfront-syndrome like most of the cars, but I believe AJ/Doug is going to solve it eventually.

It seems we're also getting closer to getting that MP, though it's still coming "as soon as it's ready": Linky

What track is that? oO

Blizzard

Banned
I still need to drive that track. I put so much effort into learning Azure Coast I never touched that one.
I think Azure Coast was prettier and more fun when it came out, too, since California Highway featured the Terrifying Invisible Barriers of Death over the roads you couldn't drive. XD

Have they added barriers now?

fresquito

I'm not really fond of this week's combo. For slower cars, we should choose shorter tracks, otherwise it becomes a bit more boring. Anyway, this is my first time playing this circuit. It looks surprisingly good.

2:14.542 with unusually classy music.

I was 7 tenths faster on my next lap until the stupid thing decided to lock up and I lost it. I can probably get another second out of it easily, but beyond that I can't see myself going much faster.

NeoGAF pCARS Time Trial Challenge - Week #7 - Caterham Superlight R500 @ Moravia (Build 202)

Mad_Ban - 2:12.559 [pad]
Foliorum Viridum - 2:14.542 (video)
magawolaz - 2:15.807 [pad]
desu - 2:21.564

Bonus video: DRIFFFFFFFFTOOOOOOOOOOO

Your video is blocked in these locations:
United States, United States Minor Outlying Islands, United States Virgin Islands

These places don't want you to hear Lucia Micarelli, clearly. >_>

A Brit can verify my time isn't actually 7 mins!

Is there actually any way to play music and not have it record in FRAPS? I tried to find a way but couldn't figure it out and I like having both coming from the same source so I can hear the engine better. I need music/podcast for TT otherwise I'd get bored.

So, I made it into the 15's yesterday with the G25. This morning I wasn't really feeling for driving with the wheel so I picked up the controller and started lapping with that.

2:13.734

I think I just shot myself in the foot here because I'm going to have a hard time matching that one with the wheel.

desu

So, I made it into the 15's yesterday with the G25. This morning I wasn't really feeling for driving with the wheel so I picked up the controller and started lapping with that.

I did the same, and improved by over 2 seconds. Well I also noticed that my driving model was set to pro (which I am clearly not). So setting it to intermediate probably helped a great deal too.

New time: 2:18.600 (with Wheel again)

Got a question here. I recently sold Forza 4 and my Xbox360. I really need a good racing game to play on my new desktop. I'm thinking about buying the privileges to become a team or junior member. Are the builds online multiplayer only or is there a singleplayer aspect with bots? This game looks sick. Also, I would assume the physics don't feel like any of the Shift games?

It's a singleplayer at the moment with online Time Trial, Multiplayer is being worked on.
Count me in.
Edit: Nevermind! Since the post office lost a package and the eBay buyer filed a case, I can't use my Paypal to purchase things. Guess I'll have to wait a bit for Project Cars.

fresquito

2:16.400

I think I can do it a lot better, but, to be honest, I just don't really know where I'm losing all my time. I never get the feeling thqat I'm doing any turn properly. I seem to be loing a lot of time everywhere.

Really, we need a ghost feature now.

We can use aids? Thought the time trials were with all aids off.

Foliorum said it himself in one of the earlier challenges. I don't have a problem with disabling assists but I imagine that someone with clubsport pedals or any other better equipment will have the upper hand anyway.

2:16.400

I think I can do it a lot better, but, to be honest, I just don't really know where I'm losing all my time. I never get the feeling thqat I'm doing any turn properly. I seem to be loing a lot of time everywhere.

Really, we need a ghost feature now.

The most important factor for me was to carry more speed through corners without entering them too fast. Especially the chicanes. I also found out that braking late for the first corner and than take a wider line helped my reducing laptimes.

Mad_Ban

Think I'll leave my first time as my only time this week. It's really weird going between this and F1 2011, and I'm in the title hunt so I don't want to risk it. :p

I'm happy I'm within 1 second of Dilly.

fresquito

The most important factor for me was to carry more speed through corners without entering them too fast. Especially the chicanes. I also found out that braking late for the first corner and than take a wider line helped my reducing laptimes.
Thanks for the tips. The more time you sink in, the better it feels. I've bested my time and now I'm in the top ten in the world (not for long, though). I think I can still lower it a little bit, probably go under 2.14, I don't know.

About records, if we're counting pads, we should also count setups. All my records are done without entering into the setup (not even for lowering fuel). I'm guessing this info provides a better view on where we stand.

Anyway, my time: 2:14.432

Top Bottom