• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS (crowdsourcing) racing sim by Slightly Mad Studios (fully funded 3.75M)

Arucardo

Almost feels like there's a way to cut the track somewhere, I'd love to see a video for a 1:28 lap :I . Starting to approach Dilly but I'm sure he can go faster too, heh.

pax217

Just got a 360 controller for the PC... No, it's not a racing wheel but dear God is this game awesome. Can't wait until I have a few hours to start putting down lap times/tweaking graphics/system.

markao

Almost feels like there's a way to cut the track somewhere, I'd love to see a video for a 1:28 lap :I . Starting to approach Dilly but I'm sure he can go faster too, heh.
Variante Alta (chicane) is probably the culprit, as in almost straight trough at high speed and hope you do not hit that barrier/wall on the exit.

And we broke the one milion Euro community funded barrier, one more to go :p

kafiend

I had a quick go, not to happy with the feel of the brakes and car still feels understeering at high speed, so I do think high 28 should be possible for me.

Pagani Zonda R- Bologna - 1.29.606 (youtube)

What have you done to the brakes on that? I have to hit the brakes much further away from a corner. - car setup = weakpoint.

Example - Coming up to Variante Alta I have to be on the brakes midway between the 150 to 100 board.

I have been racing Zondas on this with the weather and time set to hazy evenings - Its been awesome racing. I can't think of the last racing game that's felt so incredibly exciting to race.

Maybe I should dip into rFactor2 as well.

markao

What kind of gearing and ratios are you using? Seems much more sensible to what I last used, heh.

Also, awfully quiet in here recently...

I just looked for my set-up, but it seams deleting your default.sav file (had some controller issues) also deletes your set-ups. But from memory:
- I first tried the setting posted on the forum, I think they were from Ibby (in the weekly hotlap discussion thread), shortest possible final, one clcick longer 6th).
- Later I changed to "final gear" 1 or 2 clicks from middle and shortened all the other gears. Managed to do similar times with both, so just check the WMD forum for the set-ups posted there.

I don't think I will have any more time before Friday, but if so, I will post used set-up.

markao

I'm waiting it out a bit until the new FFB model gets improved and some of the handling issues get resolved.

Better start reading then, I leave it to others to play around with those settings ;)
AJ said:
Attached is the first draft of the FFB Setup Guide

My last try for this week, very good first 1/2 of the lap AM exit and Alta second curb, not particular brilliant and a good last sector.

Zonda R - Bologna : 1.28:881 (youtube)

set-up:

kafiend

Okies. TY.

Bac Mono - Heusden.

Car is the same as the weekly Event. Any objections to the track I am easy could always do the weekly if people want to. Figured people might get a bit dizzy in the S's :)

Arucardo

Here's the change log for this weeks build:

Build 216 (18/5/12, Team Member+)
New Milan HUD maps
Added new co-ord's for Milan maps
MainMenu improvements (Title area now on the left rather than the right, Profile info condensed into a smaller area now on the right, more removal of green/red buttons, Back button now placed next to the header for better balance and ease-of-use, Events screen now navigable via gamepad, Location Select screen updated, a few more icons in places)
Besos overlays textures updated
Added new Monteray map
New Besos exports
New Harrison Pike Raceway export

Build 215 (17/5/12, Senior Manager)
Added and implemented CSProtocol class, which handles generic message-based communication on top of a stream socket
Automatically unlock all tracks for Managers and Senior Managers, even if they are not available in server lists yet
Added new maps and replaced placeholder images
Animated flags - initial data for vertical flags
Animated flags - ART - export setup update
Animated flags - beach and rectangle flags added + thumbnails and ART data
BuildScript : Updated RTPatch history generation using base filename pattern

Build 214 (16/5/12, Senior Manager)
Added support for force feedback tweakers config files
Updated loading of vehicle-specific force feedback tweakers config file
Sakitto:New textures for start gantry asset
Added Milan HUD maps
Added default force feedback tweakers config file
Placeholder icon for track maps
Harrison Pike Raceway - fix tailing
Harrison Pike Raceway - add nmp texture for windows
Replaced old placeholder for track map images
New setup layout in preparation for additional setup items
Final Besos Track maps finished
New Henrico export
New Heusden export
New Sakitto exports

Build 213 (15/5/12, Manager+)
Fix for crash that could occur if AllocStreamBuffer was used
FXAA Enabled on PS3
Replaced placeholder map with finished version
Re-arranged the Trigger icons on HUD map
Harrison Pike Raceway - update textures
Added placeholder Milan HUD map
Loire track textures-Extended a bit the map and removed tents and vehicles
Badenring - Added some trees and bushes around the porsche curves area
Stockcar 90: LODA WIP
Brake squeal levels increased for audibility. React differently to temperature and wheel speed
Memphis textures intial versions
Added Memphis track
set max AI participants to 31 at Memphis oval
New AIW for Mephis oval. Supports 32 with pitlane
BAC Mono - Added AO to all LODs
BAC MONO - New liveries in
Corrected Memphis TRD - forced rolling starts, AI max set at 42
Sakitto:New Textures for Sakitto Time Tower Asset
Memphis raceline initial version
Henrico base textures initial check in
Henrico initial version of the trd file
Henrico initial version of the AIW file
Added Henrico track
3D crowd male variations:Added ingame 1st male variation: head + body.
Harrison/Memphis/Henrico - Update track TRD data for correct Long/Lat/Timezone/Race Dates/Rotation Offsets
Force rolling start at Henrico and set opponent limit to 42
Added new logos for UI
New BAC Mono export
New Loire export

Build 212 (14/5/12, Senior Manager)
Fixed build issues of the OneSock library on PC, PS3 and 360 platforms
Fixed UDP support build issue on 360 platform
Sakitto:New textures for Ferris Wheel asset
Ariel atom : fixed left hand on steeringwheel leaving too early from steering wheel while turning right
Kart02: placeholder livery replaced with new texture
Kart02: livery entries of #17,18,19 and 20 updated
F68 fixed steeringwheel lock
Stripping of legacy reverb and thining out crowds and tannoy placement
BAC MONO - Interior texture. Initial check in
Added new Northampton Hud map
Kar1,kart2: removed clutch settings from cdv as this is only 2 pedals operated vehicle.Repositioned feet on pedals
Added new Florence maps

desu

NeoGAF pCARS Time Trial Challenge - Week #9 - Zonda R @ Bologna (Build 211)

image.php

1. markao - 1:28.881
2. Dilly - 1:30.514
3. Arucardo - 1:30.881

kafiend - 1:32.549
malyce - 1:34.668
pappakenoo - 1:35.881
_machine - 1:37.206
Three60 - 1:37.629
desu - 1:37.730
amar212 - 1:39.222
Globehopper - 1:39.411

Thanks for everyone that participated!

Previous weeks:
NeoGAF pCARS Time Trial Challenge - Week #1 - Asano x4 @ Florence GP (Build 174)
NeoGAF pCARS Time Trial Challenge - Week #2 - Leonus F68 Cromwell V8 @ Milan Historic (Monza) (Build 179)
NeoGAF pCARS Time Trial Challenge - Week #3 - Ariel Atom Mugen @ Derby GT (Build 184)
NeoGAF pCARS Time Trial Challenge - Week #4 - Formula A @ California Raceway (Build 189)
NeoGAF pCARS Time Trial Challenge - Week #5 - Leonus F77 @ Bologna (Build 192)
NeoGAF pCARS Time Trial Challenge - Week #6 - Gumpert Apollo @ Bathurst (Build 197)
NeoGAF pCARS Time Trial Challenge - Week #7 - Caterham Superlight R500 @ Moravia (Build 202)
NeoGAF pCARS Time Trial Challenge - Week #8 - Formula B @ Monterey (Build 207)
NeoGAF pCARS Time Trial Challenge - Week #9 - Zonda R @ Bologna (Build 211)

New Time Trial was chosen by kafiend.

NeoGAF pCARS Time Trial Challenge - Week #10 - Bac Mono @ Heusden (Build 216)
kafiend - 1:37.818
Dilly - 1:38.268
fresquito - 1:39.300
Arucardo - 1:39.335

Dilly

Banned
I haven't tried it yet, but the Mono is basically an F3 car with skin, so it should feel rather pointy. In time, the pCARS version will hopefully improve.

I hope so too, but the understeer behaviour in pCARS always felt weird to me.

It's like the turning circle of cars is too big and the understeer is on and off depending on using the throttle or not.

Arucardo

I find it very hard to believe that the BAC understeers so much in real life.

Ouch, this is what I was afraid of. I had hoped they'd improved it since I last drove it many many builds ago, but I guess I'll have to look in to the setup for it to see if I can do something about it.

fresquito

The BAC Mono i still in Alpha 1, based on this thread: http://forum.wmdportal.com/showthre...-What-has-changed-recently-What-should-I-test

So I'm pretty sure it will improve over time. I've tried it myself today for the first time in the Sakito East event and, what can I say? It's a shitty event. I think I will try playing with gears for the event, because it doesn't feel right. Will try making second and third gear a tad longer, and sixth as well. I have never tried setting up gears, so wish me good luck.

markao

The BAC Mono i still in Alpha 1, based on this thread: http://forum.wmdportal.com/showthre...-What-has-changed-recently-What-should-I-test

So I'm pretty sure it will improve over time. I've tried it myself today for the first time in the Sakito East event and, what can I say? It's a shitty event. I think I will try playing with gears for the event, because it doesn't feel right. Will try making second and third gear a tad longer, and sixth as well. I have never tried setting up gears, so wish me good luck.

Fresquito, you can try my gearing (set-up), if you want to. Also attached a video of one of my hotlaps, just ignore the first corner entry as you should be hitting the inside curb and run less wide ;)

Bac Mono - Sakitto East - 50.4 (youtube)

And my set-up for that event:

fresquito

Thanks, I'll give it a go.

My config wasn't so bad (I could shave a second and half from my previous time), but it needed fixing the sixth gear. I went for a longer sixth gear, but I think I messed something, because it was still reaching its limit way before time.

markao

Thanks, I'll give it a go.

My config wasn't so bad (I could shave a second and half from my previous time), but it needed fixing the sixth gear. I went for a longer sixth gear, but I think I messed something, because it was still reaching its limit way before time.
The final gear (top one), is the one you need to set more to the right (speed) if your 6th is not long enough (or if to long more to the left (accel)).

fresquito

Thanks again. I tried your setup and I have saved a little more time, but it seems I need to learn more tricks before I can reach to the next level. Well, time and practice will do.

Edit: It 'dbe nice if GAF posted their Event times so we can compare them and share tips.

fresquito

I've given this week TT combo a first go and I don't like it that much. I hate how the BAC Mono turns to the right when braking. Besdes, I'll have to play with gears again, because standard setup doesn't cut it. I'll try making second gear a bit longer.

Housden seems to be a good track though.

Anyway, my time as of now: 1:39.300

My Sakitto East time: 0:52.000

Blizzard

Banned
Do high end race cars tend to go one way or the other while braking? I have on very rare occasions experienced the kind of alarming thing that my real life car slides somewhat (to the left?) if I have to brake very quickly while driving straight.

mclaren777

Do high end race cars tend to go one way or the other while braking? I have on very rare occasions experienced the kind of alarming thing that my real life car slides somewhat (to the left?) if I have to brake very quickly while driving straight.

It sounds like you might need to do some maintenance on your car because that's not normal. Either your braking system isn't working correctly or you have an alignment issue.

Watevaman

Braking force should vary a little bit from side to side if you're on a crowned road, but I don't think it should significantly shift the car.

kafiend

Yeah, that corner next to the old folks home? Thought in your mind should be "potential for old people" Not "wheres the apex" :p

Joking aside, if you are saying that in pCars the car sometimes pulls hard to the side while braking then I seen people complaining about it on the forums.

fresquito

BAC Mono always pulls hard tpo the right. No matter what track and condition you're in. If you brake hard, the car pulls hard to the right. It's annoying. I hope they fix it soon.

BTW, I'm the only one with delta times broken? I usually set my HUD to Session vs Personal and my lap times are compared to the previous lap, not the personal best.

Arucardo

BAC Mono always pulls hard tpo the right. No matter what track and condition you're in. If you brake hard, the car pulls hard to the right. It's annoying. I hope they fix it soon.

BTW, I'm the only one with delta times broken? I usually set my HUD to Session vs Personal and my lap times are compared to the previous lap, not the personal best.

Yeah, I tried the Mono last night and holy shit! I hate that car right now D: , it used to just understeer like crazy but now it pulls right even when driving straight, not to mention under breaking. The BAC wasn't the only car that had these symptoms though, noticed similar stuff in a few cars I tried, I understand it's caused by the new FFB.

I hope this stuff gets fixed soonish.

Also, disregard my lap, I couldn't do even a half decent lap in the car.

kafiend

I see that in yesterdays Senior Manager build there were some interesting multiplayer stuff added.

Fingers crossed for us peasants later on today :)

When the MP stuff is added is when this game truly starts.

I am so fucking ready. Bring it on. I'm bored of ramming Lucius in F1 2011... I need to do it in another game!

fresquito

It will take a little while to get MP working, I think. Who's choosing this week's TT?

We need a new one. Hopefully with a car that doesn't pull away when braking.

kafiend

Buld 221 is live.

I won't post the whole patchnotes - but this bit is important.

IMPORTANT!
Managers and Senior managers
Please note that due to an unfortunate bug in the patch installer anybody who installed patches 218, 219 or 220 this week will need to uninstall the game completely before installing patch 221 (or later).
This will mean installing the 207 base build from scratch and then applying patch 221.
Apologies for the hassle this causes.

Top Bottom