• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Project CARS (crowdsourcing) racing sim by Slightly Mad Studios (fully funded 3.75M)

No, it's weird looking car.
Only several ferraris are beautiful, most of them just aren't.

Blasphemy! The Enzo is such a great looking car. Personally, if I ever had the chance to get one supercar that would be it. To each their own, of course.

TheBear

Got a few questions about this game, it looks incredible:

- Can I still fund and get access? If so, how much?
- Is there any SP?
- 360 Controller funcitionality? If so, how does it play?

Cheers!

Those photos look amazing, will look into this game when it reaches retail.

On the Huayra, I think the front of the car is too busy. Curved grill, air vents?, multiple headlights, bumpy lines.
Ugly. :p

GKB

Got a few questions about this game, it looks incredible:

- Can I still fund and get access? If so, how much?
- Is there any SP?
- 360 Controller funcitionality? If so, how does it play?

Cheers!

- Funding is still open, the minimum is 10 euro.
- You can race against AI and do time trial, but if what you meant is career mode then not yet.
- Yes, X360 controller is already supported.

TheBear

- Funding is still open, the minimum is 10 euro.
- You can race against AI and do time trial, but if what you meant is career mode then not yet.
- Yes, X360 controller is already supported.

Does the 10 euro entry get access to the full game as well as the beta?

GKB

There are several cars and tracks that require higher toolpack than 10 euro, that's only in the beta though. But you can upgrade the toolpack if you want, it cost only the difference.

fresquito

Junior (10€ pack) is the safest to try the game out. Besides, today the new build hits, so it's a good moment to get into it. If you like what you see and play, then you can upgrade paying the difference. You need to be Full Member to get the retail game when it launches. Anything under Full Member will be disccounted from the retail price.

The highest your tool pack, the more revenue you (can) get when the game ships.

disap.ed

No, for the moment "Team Member" tool pack (25€) gives you full access to the Pre-Alpha (Junior is lacking the open road tracks and you only receive a upgrade once a month), with "Full Member" (45€) you will get the retail game without any further payment.

pcars2012062917005592.png
What is the deal with the image quality of this game? I see a lot of shots like this, where there's some kind of edge problem, and I see it all the time when I play it. It's like aliasing but more... sparkly. I've tried masses of AA, but it doesn't seem to help. Seems like a fundamental IQ issue with the engine?

Megasoum

Banned
Ughh Nordschleif... Well people will stop whining at least.

Not saying it's a bad track but I'm kinda tired to race it and I'm tired that it's always on top of the most wanted track lists in games forums. There's so many amazing tracks around the world that never get any love and would be much more fun than that.

markao

It's just loft + barrier, but au contraire some, I do like driving on the Nords and with the full 24H + weather cycle ( and hopefully reconnect+driver swap in MP), I'm glad it's in.

I guess we will see a lot of people complaining about "off track message's and time invalid" this week ;)

Blizzard

Banned
What is the deal with the image quality of this game? I see a lot of shots like this, where there's some kind of edge problem, and I see it all the time when I play it. It's like aliasing but more... sparkly. I've tried masses of AA, but it doesn't seem to help. Seems like a fundamental IQ issue with the engine?
Take a look at the 1080p version of one of the posted pictures:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8023/7473589216_257b438a52_o.jpg

It still looks very good to me, and seems to be some of the best real-time graphics for both in-motion and screenshots in racing games in my opinion. There might be a couple of edges that aren't absolutely perfect but I'm not sure if there is a way to get rid of them without adding some sort of photo mode post-processing. Maybe it's just my opinion that it looks good though, since I'm not an image expert.

I'm happy to hear about Nordschleif. Long mountain road tracks hurray! I'm not sure I've ever raced on it before.

Megasoum

Banned
It's just loft + barrier, but au contraire some, I do like driving on the Nords and with the full 24H + weather cycle ( and hopefully reconnect+driver swap in MP), I'm glad it's in.

I guess we will see a lot of people complaining about "off track message's and time invalid" this week ;)

Sure...I'm just glad that it's finally out of the way so that they can focus on other (and arguably better) tracks for now. Obviously there's still a lot of work and ressources to go on that track since it's so big...bleh.

Blizzard

Banned
My game doesn't look exactly like that Pagani picture.
There are lots of variables in play. Graphics card, forced graphics settings, FXAA injection, various HDR modes, etc. might be different even assuming you are both using maxed DX11 settings ingame.

As for tracks, I think it makes sense and is good for them to sometimes do tracks that lots of members want them to do and lots of members are voting for, especially since those lots of members are the ones financing the game. Everyone else relax, you've got a ton of tracks to pick from even if your own personal favorite isn't in yet. :p

mclaren777

What is the deal with the image quality of this game? I see a lot of shots like this, where there's some kind of edge problem, and I see it all the time when I play it.

pCARS uses deferred rendering (unlike forward rendering found in most other racing games) and DR can cause artifacts to appear on edges, especially if they involve alpha blending or transparency.

My game doesn't look exactly like that Pagani picture.

That's because the picture was taken in the pCARS equivalent of Photo Mode.

Megasoum

Banned
That's because the picture was taken in the pCARS equivalent of Photo Mode.

There's no photo mode in the GT5/Forza sens in pCARS. There's no magical mode where you can go and suddenly get better graphics... You just race around the track, pause the game and then activate the debug camera to move it around.

There's no photo mode in the GT5/Forza sens in pCARS. There's no magical mode where you can go and suddenly get better graphics... You just race around the track, pause the game and then activate the debug camera to move it around.

Actually, there is a "TweakIT" (Full Members only) tool that lets you change more stuff, and then there's the injectors although those work during gameplay too

ZIz0T.jpg

mclaren777

There's no photo mode in the GT5/Forza sense in pCARS.

You're right that pCARS doesn't have a dedicated Photo Mode like GT/FM, but TweakIT and the Camera Edit Mode allows you to take screenshots that mimic Photo Mode without technical elements like shutter speed and aperture.

That's why the Pagani picture doesn't like like normal gameplay.

Blizzard

Banned
Actually, there is a "TweakIT" (Full Members only) tool that lets you change more stuff, and then there's the injectors although those work during gameplay too

ZIz0T.jpg
Is the output of that still realtime though, or is it post-processed in some form that prevents free cam?

I don't -think- Darkdeus and others use TweakIT, but I'd love to hear if they do consider any particular settings especially important.

markao

You're right that pCARS doesn't have a dedicated Photo Mode like GT/FM, but TweakIT and the Camera Edit Mode allows you to take screenshots that mimic Photo Mode without technical elements like shutter speed and aperture.

That's why the Pagani picture doesn't like like normal gameplay.

No tweak it involved in those shots, normal replay and free cam.

And as others have stated, "tweak it" is a simple tool to adjust your "weather/day/night lightning" settings (create your own), save them and then run and play the game with them. How you go from there to mimic photo mode, you really have to explain that one to me.

mclaren777

How you go from there to mimic photo mode, you really have to explain that one to me.

The DOF adjustments in pCARS mimics aperture changes in Photo Mode and the TweakIT settings mimic the filter effects.

I realize it's not a 1:1 correlation, but I never claimed it was. I was simply stating one of the reasons for Dilly's comment ("My game doesn't look exactly like that Pagani picture").

markao

The DOF adjustments in pCARS mimics aperture changes in Photo Mode and the TweakIT settings mimic the filter effects.

I realize it's not a 1:1 correlation, but I never claimed it was. I was simply stating one of the reasons for Dilly's comment ("My game doesn't look exactly like that Pagani picture").
Your statement was, "That's because the picture was taken in the pCARS equivalent of Photo Mode."

As I set in my previous post, no tweak it involved in those shots, so his game does look like the Pagani picture if he uses the same weather/game settings and graphic card settings. And going from using DOF in replay modes, to "photomode like" probably only happens in your brain, but then again, no real surprise as it is a pCARS thread.

Blizzard

Banned
I haven't looked at the debug camera settings recently, so for all I know it may even be possible to PLAY the game or watch live replays with debug camera settings (depth of field or whatever) changed.

mclaren777

As I set in my previous post, no tweak it involved in those shots.

I'm fairly confident that wizza used TweakIT for the image in question.

But more importantly, why has this turned into such a mess? Why couldn't you accept that "Camera Edit Mode" (this is what Andy Garton calls it) is the "pCARS equivalent of Photo Mode" and just move on. Obviously it's not 100% equivalent, but that's hardly worth fighting over.

But more importantly, why has this turned into such a mess? Why couldn't you accept that "Camera Edit Mode" (this is what Andy Garton calls it) is the "pCARS equivalent of Photo Mode" and just move on. Obviously it's not 100% equivalent, but that's hardly worth fighting over.

Because it isn't the same.

Photomode increases resolution, anti aliasing, LOD meshes, etc. What you get here, despite some "possible" contrast/color changes, is what you get during gameplay. That's the joy of PC gaming, if it can be done in "photomode" it can be done in gameplay, provided u have the rig for it. Same can't be said for consoles.

Blizzard

Banned

I'm not even sure what you're talking about, since the picture was by Darkdeus, unless he's also known as wizza. And if you're confident he used it (though presumably you have not been a CARS member in several months and have not even had access to said tool?), I'm especially curious to hear Darkdeus' feedback on whether he used it, given what I think he's posted about his screenshots in other threads.

If you honestly don't understand the issue with your posts, it sounds like you are saying "Your game doesn't look like this because he used the super photo mode", with the implication that photo mode is better than gameplay. Photo mode is not an uncommon feature for racing games, correct? Don't games like Gran Turismo have an option to change camera settings, and then save a super high quality image, like "tiledshot" would do in Unreal Engine 3 games?

The key thing about such a photo mode is that it's a ONE SHOT THING, creating unrealistic image quality precisely because it is post-processed and uses processing power that would not be available on a realtime basis.

In contrast, changing HDR or depth of field or lighting (if DOF can be applied during gameplay or while watching the car in a replay) in CARS is realtime, rendered in realtime, anywhere from 30-60 fps depending on the system. This is obviously a huge contrast in mechanism to games which might have options for rendering a "photo mode" shot that wouldn't work in realtime, and it is deceptive to say otherwise. That is why people are objecting, in my opinion.

If you had said "The reason your game doesn't look like his is because his game settings are probably different", then I doubt people would have objected as much.

ACH1LL3US

Not me, didn't find the Enzo attractive.

yea, I didnt like the look of the Enzo either, saw it in person in yellow at the Ferrari and friends in CT this past weekend.

I was really surprised how good the LP640 looked in person!!! That car is just beautiful!

The huayra looks alot better then the mclaren f1 IMHO

mclaren777

If you honestly don't understand the issue with your posts, it sounds like you are saying "Your game doesn't look like this because he used the super photo mode", with the implication that photo mode is better than gameplay.

Thanks for clarifying that. I didn't make the connection that most people assume Photo Mode = artificially rendered image.

However, I do think most pCARS images look better than normal gameplay due to the thin DOF effect that many of them have. I think it greatly enhances the aesthetic of screenshots, and while I know it's possible to render in real-time, I don't like how it looks while I'm racing.

Blizzard

Banned
Thanks for clarifying that. I didn't make the connection that most people assume Photo Mode = artificially rendered image.

However, I do think most pCARS images look better than normal gameplay due to the thin DOF effect that many of them have. I think it greatly enhances the aesthetic of screenshots, and while I know it's possible to render in real-time, I don't like how it looks while I'm racing.
Yes, I think for a lot of people the term "photo mode" is along the lines of "non-realtime" or "bullshot" so I wanted to clarify the distinction.

I agree about DOF, and Skyrim has the same problem apparently. You can have really nice screenshots with it, but heavy DOF can give you a headache or something if you walk around with it turned on all the time.

Megasoum

Banned
Wow...that new menu background is something! It's buggy right now tho..dunno if it's the build or my machine but there's WAY too much reflexions on the car and there's no AA at all. It's fine in game per say but the menu is weird. Anyway, that's the first version of that menu so I expect it to be buggy. Still really pretty and it's nice to finally be able to see what car you are selecting and what livery in real time!

Darkdeus

I'm not even sure what you're talking about, since the picture was by Darkdeus, unless he's also known as wizza. And if you're confident he used it (though presumably you have not been a CARS member in several months and have not even had access to said tool?), I'm especially curious to hear Darkdeus' feedback on whether he used it, given what I think he's posted about his screenshots in other threads.

I did not use the tweakit mode, and also i am not wizza : ) Those were taken with the default lighting setting and HDR 3 setting. I simply paused the game and moved the camera intro position and increased the dof. Those were taken during live gameplay and did not even enter the replay mode to take them. You can easily get the game to like that while playing. The problem right now is that most of the cars are 100% done graphics wise, while the tracks are only 20-30% done which results in a contrast in the quality of the graphics. Once they get the tracks graphically 100% complete it was look amazing at all times.

Blizzard

Banned
Can someone please explain what's going on? Weren't we talking about this picture?
Sorry, I thought we were talking about this picture from Darkdeus that I mentioned earlier on the page:

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8023/7473589216_257b438a52_o.jpg

Dilly replied immediately before my post where I mentioned the picture, saying his CARS didn't look like that, thus this whole discussion. :)

And how are you able to view the forum? I thought you weren't able to. ;o

RaceManIak

Neo Member
Wow...that new menu background is something! It's buggy right now tho..dunno if it's the build or my machine but there's WAY too much reflexions on the car and there's no AA at all. It's fine in game per say but the menu is weird. Anyway, that's the first version of that menu so I expect it to be buggy. Still really pretty and it's nice to finally be able to see what car you are selecting and what livery in real time!

Yes the new menu is amazing.... in your face Autovista !

Blizzard

Banned
Yes the new menu is amazing.... in your face Autovista !
How is the performance on the garage menu? I haven't downloaded it yet but it sounded like some people were getting low fps in the menus because of it. Obviously this is just the first week it's showed up though. Is there an option to disable it?

Top Bottom