• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Horror-GAF |OT|

Hello Horror GAF,

ive been interested in the alien series for a long time and ive seen all of the movies except for the 3rd one. I finally decided to buy all of the main alien movies. So in amazon they have two versions the Alien Anthology version and the Alien Quadriology version. I kind of wanted to see the extended versions of these films but i would like to have a copy of the original theatrical release. For example, I would like to see both versions of Alien 3 since i hear the directors cut is better and i would like to compare the two versions. So tell me GAF whats the difference between these two versions and which one is better. Oh and i would like to get them on blu ray if possible. Thanks.

I own the BD Anthology and the DVD Quadrilogy sets. I haven't even heard of that newer Alien Quadrilogy Blu-ray set on Amazon, but I did a bit of looking for you.

Now, my understanding is that (and hopefully someone will correct me if I'm incorrect on anything) the 6-disc BD Anthology is basically high def equivalent of the 9-disc DVD Quadrilogy set. I don't know if 100% of the extras are the same, but if you want the most complete high def package, the Anthology is the way to go. It's 1 disc per movie (both cuts) with a few extras per film, plus 2 extras only discs.

Now, the 2014 BD Quadrilogy set is confusingly enough, not the same as the DVD set. Awesome naming scheme, guys. Going by the back of the case, it's a 4-disc set with both cuts of each movie, so you will get both versions of Alien 3.

It does not list extras on the BD Quadrilogy set's case, but all 4 discs are listed as BD50s, so I'm just going to assume they are the same movie discs from the Anthology set. Which means (if they are indeed the same discs), you'll still get the commentaries and deleted scenes and such, just not all the documentary/info dump stuff from the 2 extras only discs in the Anthology set. I believe the split single disc releases from 2011 were the same way.

So pretty much, either BD set will get you both versions of each film and (most likely) some extras. It's up to you if you want to spend a little more for the 2 bonus discs in the Anthology set.

One thing I'd like to point out about the Anthology set -- unless they've changed it since release, it comes packaged in one of those book-like cases where the discs are tightly jammed into cardboard "pages" that quite often damage the discs or get glue on them. I really hate those things. My Universal Monsters set was a goddamn mess right out of the box :(

Oh, and do get the BD version of Alien 3 for sure. Some of the audio in the extended scenes was either damaged or badly recorded on-set. In the DVD Quadrilogy set, they left it in broken and put subtitles for the dialogue. For the BD release, they had the actors come in and re-record the dialogue to fix it. It's a much better presentation.

karasu

I just finished both Conjuring movies. I'm surprised at how much I liked them. I guess it's because the lead couple is such a likable pair. Nothing about them is small, cynical, or petty and I'm really not used to watching characters like that anymore. Well made films though. Amazingly, I don't even find the kids to be annoying.

I own the BD Anthology and the DVD Quadrilogy sets. I haven't even heard of that newer Alien Quadrilogy Blu-ray set on Amazon, but I did a bit of looking for you.

Now, my understanding is that (and hopefully someone will correct me if I'm incorrect on anything) the 6-disc BD Anthology is basically high def equivalent of the 9-disc DVD Quadrilogy set. I don't know if 100% of the extras are the same, but if you want the most complete high def package, the Anthology is the way to go. It's 1 disc per movie (both cuts) with a few extras per film, plus 2 extras only discs.

Now, the 2014 BD Quadrilogy set is confusingly enough, not the same as the DVD set. Awesome naming scheme, guys. Going by the back of the case, it's a 4-disc set with both cuts of each movie, so you will get both versions of Alien 3.

It does not list extras on the BD Quadrilogy set's case, but all 4 discs are listed as BD50s, so I'm just going to assume they are the same movie discs from the Anthology set. Which means (if they are indeed the same discs), you'll still get the commentaries and deleted scenes and such, just not all the documentary/info dump stuff from the 2 extras only discs in the Anthology set. I believe the split single disc releases from 2011 were the same way.

So pretty much, either BD set will get you both versions of each film and (most likely) some extras. It's up to you if you want to spend a little more for the 2 bonus discs in the Anthology set.

One thing I'd like to point out about the Anthology set -- unless they've changed it since release, it comes packaged in one of those book-like cases where the discs are tightly jammed into cardboard "pages" that quite often damage the discs or get glue on them. I really hate those things. My Universal Monsters set was a goddamn mess right out of the box :(

Oh, and do get the BD version of Alien 3 for sure. Some of the audio in the extended scenes was either damaged or badly recorded on-set. In the DVD Quadrilogy set, they left it in broken and put subtitles for the dialogue. For the BD release, they had the actors come in and re-record the dialogue to fix it. It's a much better presentation.

Hey thanks a lot. I'll Definitely be getting the Anthology set. I want to have an Alien marathon party and watch all the movies. Hopefully we can watch all the movies in one day and then head on over to the theater for alien covenant.
Thanks again.

Hey thanks a lot. I'll Definitely be getting the Anthology set. I want to have an Alien marathon party and watch all the movies. Hopefully we can watch all the movies in one day and then head on over to the theater for alien covenant.
Thanks again.

No problem. Looking at that wall of text I posted, I'm sorry I wasn't more concise, heh.

Anyway, I hope you enjoy Alien 3. I'm a big fan of it.

Aske

Is Lake Mungo a "documentary" all of the way through?

I should rewatch this. I didn't love it when I first saw it, but it stayed with me.

Just watched Tag. If you woke up today and thought "I really wish I could find a film that will deliver a hardcore mindfuck while also containing some poignant social commentary; but I absolutely need it to shower me with absurd levels of violence too," then boy is this ever the movie for you.

drotahorror

I should rewatch this. I didn't love it when I first saw it, but it stayed with me.

Just watched Tag. If you woke up today and thought "I really wish I could find a film that will deliver a hardcore mindfuck while also containing some poignant social commentary; but I absolutely need it to shower me with absurd levels of violence too," then boy is this ever the movie for you.

This?

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4439120/

I rented Hell House LLC last night, it was pretty good.

Steamlord

I'm daydreaming about Eggers' Nosferatu right now. I'm hoping they'll keep Orlok mostly hidden in the promotional materials so we won't get a good look at him until the movie itself. I mean, imagine what it would have been like to see him slowly emerge from the shadows in the Murnau film without knowing what to expect...

GAMEPROFF

Banned
I just saw The Void and oh boy, that movie was random. It looked visually really stunning and great, had an amazing lovecratian horrorstyl in how it looks, but it puts to many pieces together that are just barely working together.
Never had so many mixed feelings after watching a movie in the last 1 1/2 years...

One of my other complaints is that appears far to 80s then it actually is.

Downhome

I posted this in the the yard sale/thrift find thread but thought y'all would get a kick out of it.

One item I like to collect, buy and resell at times is old yearbooks. I enjoy looking through them, reading comments, all of that stuff.The other night I was going through a few that I bought in a lot locally at a yard sale last year and I noticed one was from Western Kentucky University in 1966.

His picture is in there two other times as well - National Honors Society and National Forensic League. Twelve years before Halloween.

I kept looking and I also have the WKU yearbooks for 1967 and 1968, the final two times he was featured in them before he transferred to California. His photograph is of course featured in both of those as well.

DUnHWVu.jpg

Melchiah

I posted this in the the yard sale/thrift find thread but thought y'all would get a kick out of it.

One item I like to collect, buy and resell at times is old yearbooks. I enjoy looking through them, reading comments, all of that stuff.The other night I was going through a few that I bought in a lot locally at a yard sale last year and I noticed one was from Western Kentucky University in 1966.

His picture is in there two other times as well - National Honors Society and National Forensic League. Twelve years before Halloween.

I kept looking and I also have the WKU yearbooks for 1967 and 1968, the final two times he was featured in them before he transferred to California. His photograph is of course featured in both of those as well.

DUnHWVu.jpg

That's a pretty cool find.

Aske

Just watched Haunter again on Shudder. The title is so forgettable I forgot I'd already seen it a few years ago. From the dude who made Cube. Excellent movie - really solid ghost mystery. Thoroughly enjoyed the rewatch.

karasu

Any recommendations for a slickly shot horror shot maybe within the last thirty years? Not the Neon Demon because I didn't enjoy that much. My favs in the genre so far are Repulsion, Alien, The Witch, Kill List, and House of the Devil.

Any recommendations for a slickly shot horror shot maybe within the last thirty years? Not the Neon Demon because I didn't enjoy that much. My favs in the genre so far are Repulsion, Alien, The Witch, Kill List, and House of the Devil.

It Follows is pretty slick if you haven't seen it. Soundtrack is sublime too. Oh yeah and You're Next.

JamminSalmon

Neo Member

Under the Skin is slick. Slow, though, but very atmospheric.

Monocle

The Autopsy of Jane Doe is well shot. Doesn't compare to the likes of Alien or The Witch, but it's still good.

Also really boring
Kind of depends on what bores you. If you're fascinated by atmosphere, texture, mood, and detail, Under the Skin is engaging.

acohrs

The Autopsy of Jane Doe is well shot. Doesn't compare to the likes of Alien or The Witch, but it's still good.

Kind of depends on what bores you. If you're fascinated by atmosphere, texture, mood, and detail, Under the Skin is engaging.

Disagree here completely but to be expected some like what others didnt

lordxar

Autopsy of Jane Doe was pretty damn good. Not great, but good.

I'd also chip in these that were/are on Netflix US:
III- the Ritual
Under the Shadow
Baskin

They all looked great but had something holding them from greatness. Worthwhile watches imo regardless.

Lastly I'd say check out the Void. 75% of it is very well executed but it drops off at the end. Again though, very much worth a watch.

Steamlord

It's not for everyone, but Amer is great. Especially if you've seen a few gialli for context.

JamminSalmon

Neo Member
I saw Eraserhead for the first time the other night. It weirded me out, but would you classify it as horror?

Also I have the "In heaven..." song stuck in my head and it's kind of driving me nuts.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Watching Covenant tonight. I'm easy to please when it comes to horror, so I expect to be entertained ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Just watched Beyond the Gates. Pretty fun 1980s tribute. Love Barbara Crampton. All the actors did a great job in giving it a cheesy 80s horror movie vibe with just their facial expressions. the ending was just so perfectly predictable. Barbara's last message was a nice touch as a classic horror moral of the story.

I kinda want to keep going on horror movies tonight but I think I watched most of the ones on Netflix that don't look terrible.

should I watch A Girl Walks Home Alone At Night or Under the Shadow?

lordxar

Just watched Beyond the Gates. Pretty fun 1980s tribute. Love Barbara Crampton. All the actors did a great job in giving it a cheesy 80s horror movie vibe with just their facial expressions. the ending was just so perfectly predictable. Barbara's last message was a nice touch as a classic horror moral of the story.

I kinda want to keep going on horror movies tonight but I think I watched most of the ones on Netflix that don't look terrible.

Hmm...will have to watch Beyond the Gates. I'd read somewhere it sucked but with a good review that means a watch is in order to see myself.

Have not watched the first but Under the Shadow is pretty bad ass.

Beyond the Gates I was excited about but it just fell flat to me. Biggest issue to me is that they had a great premise and didn't do enough with it, and a large part of it I think is cause they really didn't have the budget to make the movie it could have been. This should have been a bigger production, like a horror Jumangi (minus shitty CG).

I had no idea what the premise of Beyond the Gates was before I watched it. I was clued in on first scene with the grand opening of a vhs business in 1992 that this was going to be about people stuck in the 1980s. It certainly would have got a bigger audience if it had more horror and CG. As it was I took it more as a subtle comedy; laughed a lot through the whole thing just from faces people made. It wasn't good as a horror movie though; definitely like they were trying to make a low budget 80s horror movie, like something a director would make if they had to make a horror movie to get out of their studio contract, and only had enough money to pay Barbara Crampton to do 10 minutes of work but had to put her name in the credits because she was the only star.

I wouldn't want anyone to watch this based on me enjoying it though. I was pretty high.

I will give Under the Shadow a try later today.

A Cure for Wellness was really just strange to watch. It wasn't good, but I didn't think it was actually bad either, just kinda existed. If you like weird stuff I'd recommend it though, it has its moments.

Top Bottom