• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Summer Anime 2017 |OT| More streaming services than shows to watch

Status
Not open for further replies.
Abyss 12

Sj3HyGM.png

The daft punk white whistle is a bad fuckin dude isnt he

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
http://www.animenewsnetwork.cc/news...to-retire-from-singing-next-september/.121628

Darn another musician I like retiring :( Will miss Namie Amuro, gave one of the best One Piece songs.

http://www.animenewsnetwork.cc/inte...ows-namie-amuro-retirement-on-twitter/.121624

Singer Namie Amuro announced on Wednesday that she will retire on September 16, 2018. The sudden news that such a prominent figure in the realm of otaku music is retiring should have created waves on Twitter. Yet, someone named "Merlin" mysteriously overshadowed her by a large margin to lead on Twitter's trending topics list on Wednesday. The phenomenon perplexed film and music journalist Koremasa Uno, who posted his reaction on Twitter.

このタイミングで安室ちゃんぶっちぎってるマーリンって誰だよ…(世の中には知らないことがたくさんある) pic.twitter.com/prXudN22Vn
— 宇野維正 (@uno_kore) September 20, 2017

In the Tweet, Uno said, "Who's this Merlin who's winning against Amuro by a mile with this timing?... (There are many things in the world I don't know)." According to Uno's post, two variations of "Merlin" had a total of 252,124 Tweets when he checked the trending list. In comparison, "Namie Amuro" only had 2,437 Tweets at the time.

The "Merlin" Uno was ignorant of was apparently the Fate/Grand Order game's character known as the strongest Servant. Just a few hours earlier, the official Twitter account of the smartphone game had revealed a campaign to celebrate surpassing 10 million downloads in Japan as of this week.

Fate too stronk.

TrueBlue

So caught up with this weeks anime. I tend to watch them all at the end of the week after the last one I'm watching has aired so:

NTR - END

Takeda is too good for Yuma (though I wished Yuma would have slapped Hotaru... several times throughout the last few episodes including this one). I like Yuma somewhat, she's just a confused closeted girl in denial but she shouldn't have done all that to Takeda when they were going out.

Also I am not satisfied that the Silver haired dick didn't get what he should have. Namely, a slap and getting found out by Takeda so he knows the type of person his friend is. (I doubt Takeda would punch him but I'd want him to as well >_> )

All in all, an average series but I liked it enough to stick with it so yay?

Again, fuck the Silver haired dick.

So how does it end?

I admit I've had a morbid curiosity about the series after I saw some of AnimeGAF talk about it - specifically that the nice bf, Takeda I assume - was the fan favourite. This surprised me considering the source material and target audience.

I'll probably never watch it though, my curiosity is thoroughly stamped on by the premise.

Line_HTX

So how does it end?

I admit I've had a morbid curiosity about the series after I saw some of AnimeGAF talk about it - specifically that the nice bf, Takeda I assume - was the fan favourite. This surprised me considering the source material and target audience.

I'll probably never watch it though, my curiosity is thoroughly stamped on by the premise.

How is the boyfriend the fan favorite? I thought people didn't care about him.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Made in Abyss Episode 12:

Well then it turns out the true nature of the curse was something that was probably sussed out by the audience a fair bit before this, at least in terms of mechanics. Also, things have taken another dark turn because that is what this series does.

Dali

jesus my account must have been shared around like the village bike. there's multiple ps4s, xboxones and ipod touches on the my devices list. I don't own any of those devices.

that's the second time my crunchy account has been compromised, though i wasn't locked out last time. Definitely gonna have to buy a temp credit card to renew my sub next time...
I use PayPal credit and just pay PayPal each month.

Line_HTX

It's time for that end of season backlog catchup that I'll chip away slowly. Not enough hours of the day to want to see all I want. :V

How is the boyfriend the fan favorite? I thought people didn't care about him.
To be fair, you're supposed to like the nice boyfriend. Otherwise, it's not NTR. It may not be from his perspective, but if you don't feel someone's genuine love being taken away by another's (often seedier) methods, then it doesn't work.

That said, the nice boyfriend was so dull from the few episodes I watched for my preview of the show that I didn't feel anything by his girlfriend "straying" with her best friend, so it didn't do anything for me at the very least.

Jex

[Made in Abyss] - 12

Not a particularly noteworthy episode after the events of last week.

One thing which has been bugging me for awhile, but which this episode really emphasized, is how discordant the end credits are for this series. Its kind of okay for certain shows to have credits which are slightly off-tone, but it just doesn't work here, You can't have a character say or do something very dark and then just immediately cut to this lighthearted tune.

The main problem is that you want the audience to sit for a moment at the end of the episode to allow them to process what they've seen and reflect on their emotional state. If the credits were dark and sombre, than at least that would give me some breathing room. Or if it just faded to black and you had a few seconds breather. But that isn't the case.

I'm not even saying I want to sit down and watch the whole end credits. I just don't want to be immediately retched out of whatever I am feeling and thinking by a completely discordant piece of music.

Of course, there are some directors who really understand why this is important https://vimeo.com/69164083

/XX/

So I was just given a LaserDisc player.... Time to get in on that sweet sweet LD anime action.
Are you interested in going on a hunting spree of obscure OVAs to honour your past times on here? Because I'd love reading about your impressions again, EmmanuelMuñoz!

If looking for collector's products mainly, specially those Japanese domestic market releases, I have to say that while keeping an eye on certain LaserDisc items (like the famous CAV-specification type or edition of Royal Space Force I mentioned time ago) in case I obtained a deck myself, I habitually keep an eye on stores such as Vintage Village--Laser or k-mart-japan of which I've mainly seen very positive comments about... so check them out if looking for a big haul to get right now. :)

zulux21

Smartphone 1/2

this feels like a PG rated harem show that at its heart wants to be an R rated harem show.

that being said I can enjoy main characters named Gary and am curious how over the top they are going to go with the main character.

Qurupeke

Virgin Soul 23

This is going to end with Mugaro saving everyone in Jesus style, right? Also, RIP Kaiser, I hope he's dead and it's not a fake out.

phaze

Escaflowne The Movie

Huh, quite surprised really. Expected an atrocious, super rushed version of the TV series but while lack of time still bites this movie majorly in the ass in the most crucial moments, the amount of drastic streamlining and smart changes made this into something that can stand on its way somewhat. Van's&Hitomi's is simultaneously one of the most interesting and and most galling parts of the movie. There's an effort to connect to connect them on thematic level that I don't think was there in the series, at least to this degree (though it might be my faulty memory), but sadly it all falters because of the runtime which gives them rushed characterization and like 4 minutes together to establish their bond before the climax comes in. Said climax contains, beyond a very pretty mecha fight, such an unsavory amount of prattling about character's feelings, muh sorrow et consortes, silly villain motivations, that I, regrettably, sort of switched off. But even with that, this is a really well produced movie with some super detailed art, with like actual noses and mouths on characters, mecha and mechanical designs that go much further than the tv version and some really good direction from Kazuki Akane(why isn't he directing anything lately anyway) all of which made this an experience I don't regret.

lol at the ending though.
Thought they were throwing a bone to the shippers mad at TV ending but they just stabbed them 10 times more and twisted the dagger.

Szadek

I should probably catch to the new anime I'm watching, but non of them can compare to...

Revolutionary Girl Utena - Ep. 13
Recap episode!
The most interesting part is the new character as well as the names of the duels:
Friendship. Choice. Reason. Love. Adoration. Conviction. Self.

Not too much else to say about this episode. Next up is the Black Rose Saga!

BluWacky

Escaflowne The Movie

some really good direction from Kazuki Akane(why isn't he directing anything lately anyway)

Probably still recuperating post Code Geass: Akito; I doubt he expected to be consumed by that project for so damn long. He's not exactly a spring chicken any more either; I hope we get some more shows from him.

The movie isn't as enjoyable as the TV series but it has its moments - and certainly a great deal of lush animation and gorgeous music. I have often wondered what they could have done with the alternate universe of the film if it had been expanded to OVA size; the spins on various characters could have been interesting with more time, and I would have liked to have seen something made of Sora rather than the rather paltry characterisation she gets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom