• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 | Welcome Home, Space Cowboy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Makoto

Toradora! 4-10

zIy9t.jpg

The fact that Taiga doesn't discriminate when it comes to
administering physical pain
is fantastic. Taiga
slapping Ami
in Episode 5. Just amazing. Absolutely amazing. I'm impressed and pleased by the camaraderie displayed between the two leads. Instances such as Episode 6 where
Taiga tells Minori that Ryuuji wasn't at home or in Episode 7 where Ryuuji is making those cups for Taiga is really enjoyable to watch. Watching Taiga put her feet up against Ryuuji's back in Episode 9 as they reflect on the day tells me that even if this doesn't work out, there's still a friendship (or a relationship mmmmmhmmmm) that will emerge between them.
The humor is spot-on and I find myself genuinely laughing at the situations the two get into like when
Taiga gets thrown into the pool in a really over-the-top manner. It's hilarious but we as the audience remember shortly after that she can't swim. Add insult to injury and a cup detaches from her swimsuit and Ryuuji has to physically reapply it without exposing their plan to the rest of the class.
And fucking Episode 8,
that's exactly what I wanted to see come from Kirino in Oreimo. Taiga coming to Ryuuiji's aid and tearfully berating the class for not helping him is great. THOSE FLOODGATES, MAN, THOSE FLOODGATES OPENED. I WANTED THE PROVERBIAL TSUNDERE LEVIES TO BREAK AND TORADORA HAS DELIVERED.

My biggest worry once I got invested in Toradora's premise was how they were going to maintain the audience's attention while keeping it believable with so many episodes. It looks like that won't be a problem. Minori's character in Episode 9 and 10 for example,
definitely doesn't come off as someone who is friendzoning Ryuuji. She's still trying to understand what it means to fall in love, so it seems like there is still hope for him. I like how she is being handled so far.
I've really grown to like Ami as well.
I particularly like the analogy she made about Ryuuji being the moon and Minori being the sun. I feel that said a lot about her intentions (if you set aside that fact that she practically confessed to Ryuuji).
Overall, there isn't one character I don't like (maybe except for the class president but I haven't seen much of her to say I don't like her). This show's got heart and I'm happy to say that I've yet to watch an episode that has disappointed. It's one of those instances where it's truly a shame anime doesn't have a more mainstream presence in the US. Toradora's comedy seems like it would work really well without alienating Western audiences with the overbearance of tropes. It's a shame NIS America picked this up because they're probably just going to sit on their printed copies and let it sell out with no blu-ray release. Had this show been in Funimation's hands, there would at least have been the possibility of a blu-ray run.

Risette

A Good Citizen
All of the frames are there, I just slowed it down by about 3x to show what was happening. Should have specified that.
Ah, well. If it plays 3x fast then it should look good. Seems like a nice bit of animation in the wrong place -- I don't think that sort of... elasticity is suited for a show like Chihayafuru. What's the context?

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
That scene in the last episode of Another in which Sakakibara
was just chilling talking to Misaki on the phone while the whole freaking building looked literally like the burning hell
was lmao-worthy.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
As a follow up to my Brave 10 suffer-a-thon, I'm officially challenging everyone in the thread to follow Sengoku Collection with me. I want to see how many of us make it to the end.
you're disqualified if you're already watching it just because it's Brains Base

7Th

IT IS TIME

Lupin The Third: A Woman Named Fujiko Mine
Director: Sayo Yamamoto (Michiko to Hatchin)
Character Design/Chief Animation Director: Takeshi Koike (World Record, Trava: Fist Planet, Redline)
Series Composition: Mari Okada (AnoHana, Black Rock Shooter, Aquarion Evol)
Music Composition: Naruyoshi Kikuchi
Animation Production: TMS

Hyouka
Director: Yasuhiro Takemoto (Full Metal Panic Series, Lucky Star)
Character Design/Chief Animation Director: Futoshi Nishiya (Haruhi movie, Nichijou)
Series Composition: Shoji Gatoh (Full Metal Panic Series)
Music Composition: Kouhei Tanaka (One Piece, Gunbuster)
Animation Production: GODAni

Apollon: Kids on the Slope
Director: Shinichiro Watanabe (Macross Plus, Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo)
Character Design: Nobuuteru Yuki (Escaflowne, Paradise Kiss)
Chief Animation Director: Yoshimitsu Yamashita (Phantom, House of Five Leaves)
Script: Yuuko Kakihara (Jewelpet Sunshine, Baby Princess 3D, Kamichama Karin, Ebiten)
Music Composition: Yoko Kanno (Aquarion, Darker than Black, Macross Frontier)
Animation Production: Ma(dhouse)ppa

Saint Seiya Omega
Director: Hatano Morio (directorial debut, worked as episode director in various Precure shows)
Character Design/Chief Animation Director: Yoshihiko Umakoshi (Ojamajo Doremi, Jubei-chan 2, Mushishi, Casshern Sins, Heartcatch Precure)
Series Composition: Reiko Yoshida (Kaleido Star, K-ON)
Music Composition: !?
Animation Production: Toei Animation

Eureka Seven AO
Action Director: Muraki Yasushi

Tsuritama
Director: Kenji Nakamura (Mononoke, Trapeze)
Character Design: Atsuya Uki (Cencoroll)
Animation Character Design/Chief Animation Director: Yuuichi Takahashi (Macross Frontier)
Series Composition: Toshiya Ono (Suite Precure)
Music Composition: Kuricorder Quartet
Animation Production: A1 Pictures

As a follow up to my Brave 10 suffer-a-thon, I'm officially challenging everyone in the thread to follow Sengoku Collection with me. I want to see how many of us make it to the end.

You could advertise it as "by the assistant director and one of the episode directors of PenguinDrum".

In fact, I could probably advertise Saint Seiya Omega like that: "by (some) of the animators behind PenguinDrum".

wonzo

Banned
Will watch:

Kids on the Slope
KoikeLupin
Saint Seya Omegakoshi
Space Bros
Jormungand
Hyouka
Moe Cthulhu
Gakkatsu
Kikansha Thomas

Might check out:

Naze no Kanojo X
Tsuritama
Shiba Inuko-san
Medaka Box
Sankarea
Tasogare Otome x Amnesia

lol:

Eureka Seven Ao
AKB0048

I've heard that Train Hero's been cancelled, actually.
rip train hero *pours 40*

Wall of Shame

Code:
cajunator	1,199
Jexhius	1,081
Envelope	738
Thoraxes	645
Branduil	640
Mad Pierrot	628
wonzo	566
hosannainexcelsis	534
firehawk12	531
duckroll	453
Steroyd	431
Dresden	414
Ultimadrago	413
Miri	395
RurouniZel	381
Dedication Through Light	381
cosmicblizzard	363
Regulus Tera	355
pizzaroll	330
Instro	324
jman2050	324

Cajun is a posting machine.

Branduil

Ah, well. If it plays 3x fast then it should look good. Seems like a nice bit of animation in the wrong place -- I don't think that sort of... elasticity is suited for a show like Chihayafuru. What's the context?

You'd think so, but it still looked weird to me at normal speed. That's why I noticed it in the first place.

ivk2A7Ul8rSSf.gif

As you say, that kind of elasticity isn't a normal occurrence in Chihayafuru, so it stands out in that sense. I wouldn't necessarily mind, even so, but it's also not very well done. I don't normally get pulled out of a scene by animation but in this case it was weird enough to do so.

The context is the sensei telling Taichi to go buy some chocolate for Chihaya to eat.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
The Lake scene with the memory and voice was all from Onegai Sensei. The alien from that show crashed he ship in a Lake like that and when she left the planet everyone's memories were wiped. I don't think there is any doubt it was her voice. And Remon is probably Ichigo, a character from Onegai Sensei. Or else they just created a new character that knows aliens and has the same appearance, personality, and voice as Ichigo.

Ah. That is interesting. I guess it could either be a direct connection or just kind of a fun "in joke" of sorts. ^^;

Yeah, it seems like fan-service, but I don't know if there's supposed to be an explicit connection. I assume in Japan you would need the rights to the IP to even make an overt reference like that anyway?

was just chilling talking to Misaki on the phone while the whole freaking building looked literally like the burning hell
was lmao-worthy.

It was pretty shocking how in all the other scenes stuff was exploding and stuff falling yet he found the right place and time to just stand there and nothing collapsing

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
was lmao-worthy.
What's going on with you?
Oh, nothing, just hanging out in the backyard killing someone. With you?
Not much, not much, just hanging out in this building engulfed by flames. Little hot and stuffy in here, guess I might come out and chill with you if I can manage to escape.

was lmao-worthy.

And apparently, even though he has a lung condition, the smoke doesn't bother him at all.
lol

Ultimadrago

T.J Detweilereeeeeer Dinklebeeeerg! Dreeeeesdeeeen!

Also, I believe Jex is holding back his true posting strength...for the right time.

Brazil

Not much, not much, just hanging out in this building engulfed by flames. Little hot and stuffy in here, guess I might come out and chill with you if I can manage to escape.

So awkward.

And apparently, even though he has a lung condition, the smoke doesn't bother him at all.
lol

Holy shit, I had totally forgotten about that. Bwahaha. So bad.

icecream

Public Health Threat
I hope the Ano Natsu bros/gals know to carry on the speculation here. I'm still confused by this connection to
Onegai Sensei
at the end.
Well,
the whole lake, tree and voice recording were an entire reference to the events of Onegai Teacher, the voice being Mizuho, and the lake being the key setting of that series. The thing is that either something happened with Kei and Mizuho back in the day following what we knew (as it ended on a happy note), or this is all an alternate universe. Regardless, it confirms the connection between the 3 series, and confirms everyone's suspicions about the hints throughout the series ie. Ichika's memory implants suggesting she is a descendent of the same race, Yamano Lemon being Morino Ichigo (same exact characterization and personality, and MiB explains her being forever loli) and other things.

Point being, it was a wonderful nod to longtime fans, otherwise a nice conclusion in its own right to newcomers. :p

Sounds fun.

I was initially interested in it, for being Sengoku related, but that was also my reasoning for Brave 10 and looked how that turned out.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Not much, not much, just hanging out in this building engulfed by flames. Little hot and stuffy in here, guess I might come out and chill with you if I can find a way out.

Exactly. I was thinking
HOW THE HELL ARE YOU JUST STANDING THERE WHEN IT'S HUNDREDS OF DEGREES IN THE BUILDING
through the entire sequence. The
ugly low-framerate CG fire
just made it worse. The entire finale was kind of a poorly-directed mess.

Wall of Shame

[snip]

Cajun is a posting machine.

Not bad, 6th in the first anime thread I've been with from the beginning. Is cosmic going to have an updated monocle/moustache chart for us?

Lain

Inu x Boku SS 5

Ririchiyo (maybe I'm getting the hang on her name) gets cuter with each episode, just as some parts of her past are shown.
The episode was nice and bla bla bla, another aspect I'm liking is how each ED is dedicated to and done by a different character.

Ultimadrago

Endurance match against you, MP? Especially if turns out bad or overly cornball?

Yeah, this is an instant loss. I'll see about it anyways.
So, "yes."

Not bad, 6th in the first anime thread I've been with from the beginning. Is cosmic going to have an updated monocle/moustache chart for us?

Oooo, what's thaaat?

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Sounds fun.

I was initially interested in it, for being Sengoku related, but that was also my reasoning for Brave 10 and looked how that turned out.

Sengoku Collection has a lot of warning signs of being really horrible. Based off of some kind of TCG + really outlandish character design + obvious misguided cash-in on sengoku craze + Brains Base animating something solely to pay the bills. I really hope that it can surpass Brave 10 and end up being so bad that it's good.

Decado

Will be pleasantly surprised if I watch a full season of any show this Spring. A few of moderate interest:

Jormungand - Has the most promise, despite the child protagonist. Hopefully it doesn't wind up being crap like DtBII.

Zetman - Looks rather angsty, TBH. Probably won't be good, but it doesn't seem to be a kids show, set in a school, feature moe etc...so I guess I should see how it goes.

Sakamichi no Apollon - Will only try watching it 'cause I like the director's work. Premise sounds dull, but if the music is good (jazz like Cowboy Bepop?) I may keep watching.

Fate/Zero - Haven't watched the 1st season. I gave up around 10 - 15 minutes through the 1st episode. Will try again as I heard it is good (though compared to what, exactly, I'm not sure...).

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Why are people excited about Tsuritama? Aliens and fishing? Is this a drama?
It's because it's by the director by Mononoke and Trapeze the best anime of 2007 and 2009. However he also directed [C] which is why PEOPLE aren't as excited about Tsuritama as they should be.:p

Sengoku Collection has a lot of warning signs of being really horrible. Based off of some kind of TCG + really outlandish character design + obvious misguided cash-in on sengoku craze + Brains Base animating something solely to pay the bills. I really hope that it can surpass Brave 10 and end up being so bad that it's good.

I'm pretty sure, that is all the driving force it has now for anyone even attempting to watch it. But, as long as it doesn't literally having an episode of someone screaming a name over and over in a high pitched voice, it'll be better than Brave 10.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
Endurance match against you, MP? Especially if turns out bad or overly cornball?

Yeah, this is an instant loss. I'll see about it anyways.
So, "yes."

Ahahaha, don't be so sure that I can make it through anything. According to my MAL stats I'm like in the top 1% of members in terms of number of dropped series. It's only since joining AnimeGAF that I've discovered masochistic viewing.

Oooo, what's thaaat?

I remember seeing this a couple of times when lurking before my account was approved, but every now and again cosmic rates 50 or so of the most active posters on a monocle <---> moustache scale.

survivor

Banned
Will watch day 1

Sakamichi no Apollon
Tsuritama
Space Bros
Hyouka

Will never admit to watching

Sankarea
Rock Lee

The rest of anime like Zetman or Jormungand, I will just wait for impressions and see if they are decent

I also need to read up on that Lupin stuff. I honestly have no clue what the entire franchise is about.

Since Miri doesn't do a good job of telling people why certain shows are worthy of their attention, I will take the task upon myself.

Must-watch:

Sakamichi no Apollon - The reunion of director Shinichiro Watanabe and composer Yoko Kanno, who worked together previously on Macross Plus, Cowboy Bebop, and Baby Blue. After flirting with more otaku-oriented fare for the past year, Fuji TV's noitamina goes back to its roots with an adaptation of Yuki Kodama's award-winning josei manga about a group of teenagers in the 1960s who bond over jazz. This is a co-production between the veteran Tezuka Productions and the just-formed Studio Mappa, the new studio from Madhouse co-founder Maruyama. The staff all around are quite strong; Watanabe's directing skill and careful attention to music, combined with the compositional skill of Kanno, should make this a very good watch. The most concerning aspect is whether an entire adaptation of the 9-volume manga can be fit into 12 episodes as they intend to do, but I think it should be doable.

Lupin the Third - The Woman Called Fujiko Mine - Watch the PV! Director Sayo Yamamoto (Michiko to Hatchin) and character designer/animation director Takeshi Koike (Redline) both have a keen sense of style, and are the ideal pair for this reimagining of the franchise, going back to the erotic nature of the original Monkey Punch manga. Concerns are head writer Mari Okada, whose original ideas are not particularly great, and rumors of production issues. Hopefully the series can rise above those, since it has a lot of potential to be a fun action-packed watch.

Space Bros. - An adaptation of Chuya Kodama's multiple-award-winning seinen manga about two brothers and their dreams of going into space. It has fantastic word-of-mouth, and I have every confidence that director Ayumu Watanabe, who has done good work on the Doraemon franchise, and studio A-1 Pictures can do it justice, especially since this will be running for at least a year.

Fate/Zero Season 2 - The first season got off to a rocky start, but quickly put that behind itself and steadily got better as it went on. Ei Aoki, director of last year's best anime Wandering Son, shows that he can do an equally good job with sharply contrasting material. The concept is silly, but the serious approach the show takes to it actually makes it work, especially when its focusing on the larger-than-life historical figures of the servants. If for nothing else, it's worth watching for the incredible personality of Rider.

Saint Seiya Omega - All you need to know is that Yoshihiko Umakoshi, the man behind the top-notch action and visual style of Casshern Sins, is character designer and animation director on this show. Action is the most important part of this kind of shounen show, and Umakoshi is a reliable man to deliver that.

Hyouka - Kyoto Animation has the best, most consistent TV production values in the business. This is an adaptation of a young adult mystery novel (not an otaku-aimed light novel!). If it pulls off the character chemistry that KyoAni did a good job of in something like K-ON and has some engaging mysteries to boot, it will be very much worth watching.

Other shows to consider:

Tsuritama - Everyone's hoping this will be Kenji Nakamura's return to form after a disappointing showing with C. An adolescent fishing story is a new direction for Nakamura, so we'll see what comes of that, but A-1 Pictures should do a better job making the show look good than Tatsunoko did.

Mysterious Girlfriend X - Ayumu Watanabe is also directing this show, based on what seems to be a fun, if not outstanding, manga. The art style and character designs look late 90s/early 00s, in a good way.

Jormungand - The manga is one of those cool action stories, and has been compared to Black Lagoon. The director (Keitaro Motonaga of School Days and Katanagari) and studio (White Fox of Steins;Gate and Katanagatari) don't have the best track record though.

Natsuiro no Kiseki - It's another schoolgirls being schoolgirls show, this time to promote the idol group Sphere. There have been hints that an entertaining twist could show up, though.

Shirokuma Cafe - From director Mitsuyuki Masuhara (Chi's Sweet Home) and with strong comedic VAs in Kamiya and Fukuyama, this adaptation of a josei comedy manga about the daily lives of animals at a cafe could be an entertaining light watch.

Zetman - The seinen action manga has a decent reputation, but is long enough that the rumored 13 episode length could awkwardly compress things.

Will personally also check out: Ginga e Kickoff!!, Tasogare Otome X Amnesia

Brazil

Sakamichi no Apollon - The reunion of director Shinichiro Watanabe and composer Yoko Kanno, who worked together previously on Macross Plus, Cowboy Bebop, and Baby Blue. After flirting with more otaku-oriented fare for the past year, Fuji TV's noitamina goes back to its roots with an adaptation of Yuki Kodama's award-winning josei manga about a group of teenagers in the 1960s who bond over jazz. This is a co-production between the veteran Tezuka Productions and the just-formed Studio Mappa, the new studio from Madhouse co-founder Maruyama. The staff all around are quite strong; Watanabe's directing skill and careful attention to music, combined with the compositional skill of Kanno, should make this a very good watch. The most concerning aspect is whether an entire adaptation of the 9-volume manga can be fit into 12 episodes as they intend to do, but I think it should be doable.

Man, Apollon sounds like the classiest show ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom