• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT11 | Roll on the Euros and transfer muppetry

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mastadon

Banned
Keeping the focus on ugly, I hope.

na18U.jpg

For Chelsea fans, Lukaku just gave an honest interview after the CL final :

- He hated AVB, hasn't learnt a single thing under him. Was given no advice, in training AVB always put him on the left/right even though he has no pace/dribbling/crossing skills.
- He progressed more under Di Matteo over the past few months.
- 50% chance to stay at Chelsea and 50% chance to be loaned out next season. He wants to fight for his place and shows what he can do in july, during the US tour. In the case he doesn't impress, he'd like to go on loan so that he doesn't lose another year.
- Loves Drogba.

Hazard is enjoying his moment under the spotlight, he's got some dubious work ethics but he won't cause problems in the dressing room like Balotelli or Tevez would. Don't think he'll shine straight away next season in the PL, Kagawa is a safer signing I'd say.

Vertonghen to Spurs is possible yet a bit surprising, guess he'd get a spot in the starting eleven there.

- He hated AVB, hasn't learnt a single thing under him. Was given no advice, in training AVB always put him on the left/right even though he has no pace/dribbling/crossing skills.
- 50% chance to stay at Chelsea and 50% chance to be loaned out next season. He wants to fight for his place and shows what he can do in july, during the US tour. In the case he doesn't impress, he'd like to go on loan so that he doesn't lose another year.
- Loves Drogba.

Hazard is enjoying his moment under the spotlight, he's got some dubious work ethics but he won't cause problems in the dressing room like Balotelli or Tevez would. Don't think he'll shine straight away next season in the PL, Kagawa is a safer signing I'd say.

Vertonghen to Spurs is possible yet a bit surprising, guess he'd get a spot in the starting eleven there.

Interesting stuff. Bolded was fucking crazy whenever AVB did it, so frustrating and stupid, especially when then seeing people laugh at Lukaku being wasted money because he can't play as a winger.

Mastadon

Banned

- Loves Drogba.

I just read that and it irked me immensely. He also complained that AVB made him swap shirts in training. Poor lad.

PaulLFC

I think it's is pretty much accepted as fact that Segura has taken on one of the DoF roles. However he won't be the only one; the DoF remit is to be split into 2 it seems, with Segura taking on some of the responsibilities and another guy coming in to take the other half (widely assumed to be Txiki Bergristian(sp?)).
I've only heard this as a rumour so far, and news seems to have slowed in the last couple of days, but hopefully it's true.

pappe

He is gonna be one of those players, who no matter what they do will get on the opposition fans tits!!

I just read that and it irked me immensely. He also complained that AVB made him swap shirts in training. Poor lad.

Well quite clearly AVBs squad management was shit. Also it obviously wasn't the swapping shirt thing that was the point of that, the point was that he kept changing what team he played for during training.

"There is one person that I will never forgive for what he did to me - the previous coach.

"It's not just that. It was also the way he spoke to me and treated me. Right from the beginning, it was weird. I could not stand how he was treating me. I received no explanation.

"In training, he put me on the right or left wing. In training matches, I was a substitute with a shirt to keep swapping teams. I really learned nothing!

"I have told the club that too. I understand that he was under pressure, but I was also thinking of myself. I have improved in recent months."

Lukaku only had a little more game time under caretaker-manager Roberto Di Matteo and was not in the squad for Saturday's Champions League triumph.

He was nevertheless delighted with the outcome, saying: "I could not believe it. I had to think, 'Is this really happening'? European champion...My life has changed and I'm only 19."

K1LLER7

How much you guys think Kagawa will go for?
They say he won't go on the cheap but it's his last year and he isn't English so I wouldn't think we pay over £10m-£12m

Arnie

Did Txiki work with Pep and Rodolfo at Barcelona?

He worked with Pep, not too sure about Rodolfo.

These latest AVB comments from Lukaku worry me. Wish we'd just fucking approach the most qualified person for the job. The one who lives in Liverpool. The Champions League winner. The La Liga winner.

Arnie

If Carroll deserved to go with England then Torres did. Despite what his goal tally may suggest he's been playing really well recently.

Mastadon

Banned

These latest AVB comments from Lukaku worry me. Wish we'd just fucking approach the most qualified person for the job. The one who lives in Liverpool. The Champions League winner. The La Liga winner.

Well Rafa isn't the most personable manager around either in all fairness! But yes, I completely agree.

Didn't Torres pick up a ridiculous amount of assists this year?

elseanio

The seemingly all Spanish 'senior' management gives me a little hope. How do you think Rafa would work under guys he brought in, though? Maybe the Americans see that as a potential power struggle

He may well have done, from what I can find these are the times the three of them were at Barca:

2003-2010 - Txiki
2003-2004 - Pep
1996-2009 - Rodolfo

Thanks. Seems their idea is rinse and repeat! The next Messi will be Scouse!

Clegg

They say he won't go on the cheap but it's his last year and he isn't English so I wouldn't think we pay over £10m-£12m

It isn't just English players that clubs overpay for.

I never thought that Kagawa would go for the low prices that some tabloids were predicting. £15-20m is still is reasonable price for Kagawa imo. Unfortunately, I can see United deciding no pull out of the Kagawa race at that price.

"No value."

pappe

Dortmund dont need to sell. They are quite well off. United are desperate for world class CAM, CM. Dortmund know this. They will use this factor to extort every single little penny out of United.

I would say 15-18 mil.

PaulLFC

Well Rafa isn't the most personable manager around either in all fairness! But yes, I completely agree.
He's by far the best candidate that still seems to be interested in the job though. I mean, the man has an entire scouting network which he still utilises in case he gets asked to manage a team, then he can be ready to work straight away. How dedicated is that?

Not to mention, if the rumours of him and Pako settling their differences and beginning to work together again a few weeks ago are true, he has a proven assistant ready to help him.

Mastadon

Banned
He's by far the best candidate that still seems to be interested in the job though. I mean, the man has an entire scouting network which he still utilises in case he gets asked to manage a team, then he can be ready to work straight away. How dedicated is that?

Do you visit his site? Some of his analysis work is incredible. I want him back so much, I just fear it's not to be.

Meier

All hope is not lost! Even if Modders departs, I still think we are a highly attractive club and hopefully lower-key players like Dembele and Hoilett will want to play for us.

I watched the Premier League wrap-up show on Fox Soccer Channel yesterday that showed the Goals of the Season and Hoilett had 3 of them. Not bad considering he scored 7 total! They only showed 3 total (maaaybe 4) for the entire Man City season I think, lol.

This is f'ing amazing.

elseanio

Not to mention, if the rumours of him and Pako settling their differences and beginning to work together again a few weeks ago are true, he has a proven assistant ready to help him.

Isn't Xavi Valero back too?

oipic

So, there's just no clear, obvious answer to this Liverpool management puzzle, is there? It's just not the time, and we're not in the right place. :(

I dearly hope FSG (or their football-knowledgeable advisors? They have some, right?) have more conviction than I seem to - have trawled the net and read all manner of reports, profiles, opinions, interviews etc over the past few days, and I'm none the wiser. Have steadily swayed between AVB, Rafa, Martinez etc.

Please wake me when it's over.

Also, that Dortmund pic - just awesome. Would love to see a match there one day.

K1LLER7

Dortmund dont need to sell. They are quite well off. United are desperate for world class CAM, CM. Dortmund know this. They will use this factor to extort every single little penny out of United.

I would say 15-18 mil.
I'm hoping we sign him but I don't think Fergie likes to pay over what he feels is right. 15-18m will probably be the right amount. But any higher I think we'll pull out.

PaulLFC

Do you visit his site? Some of his analysis work is incredible. I want him back so much, I just fear it's not to be.
I do, and his work there is fantastic. I feel the same way if reports FSG won't speak to him are to be believed, I'm just struggling to understand the reason not to speak to him. There's no harm letting him put forward his ideas and strategy, and seeing what they think of it. To not give him the chance to do that is neglecting the search for a manager to be honest. There's nothing wrong with not wanting to employ him after his interview, but not allowing him an interview when he's clearly a well-qualified candidate isn't right.

Isn't Xavi Valero back too?
He was offered a contract just before Kenny was sacked, I don't know if he accepted it or not though, and whether Kenny's sacking delayed or changed his decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom