• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Asian-GAF: We're all the same, like Stormtroopers |OT| |AT|

TopDreg

To be fair, my Asian friends and I have all joked that at one point or another (high school, stupid 16 year olds)-- mostly joking, though a few of my friends still say it at this age (26) and I'm like o_O… not sure if serious...

Happas ARE incredibly beautiful, though. Maybe it's selective bias, but honestly every single happa I've ever met is gorgeous… like objectively just really, really good-looking. They all seem to be super smart, too :x.

/AAstylechant HELLO AARON.

Wow @ your triple major, and if you go join the Peace Corp, good luck! I did AmeriCorp myself in college :).

Half-Asian pride!

You did AmeriCorp IN college?? Mind if I ask what you did? That's awesome! I'm nominated for Ghana, and supposedly the Peace Corps has a need for math and science teachers, so fingers crossed. My mom, who immigrated from Taishan, is dreading the whole thing, but... so is the AA-life.

clav

To be fair, my Asian friends and I have all joked that at one point or another (high school, stupid 16 year olds)-- mostly joking, though a few of my friends still say it at this age (26) and I'm like o_O… not sure if serious...

Happas ARE incredibly beautiful, though. Maybe it's selective bias, but honestly every single happa I've ever met is gorgeous… like objectively just really, really good-looking. They all seem to be super smart, too :x.

Haha.

Yes and no. Not all, but in the end, that's not what matters in a relationship.

Same here :D.

Luckily I had the INTERNET.

Also, hey, despite my extremely overprotective, super conservative, super religious Asian parents… my social life is fine :(. I'm a little awkward, and sometimes a bit.. uh… holier-than-art, and I do attribute that to how my parents viewed everyone else (you know, that we were superior or whatever, both ethnically [blahblah Taiwanese are the best] and morally [blah blah Christians are the best]), but it's something I'm really getting over and trying to correct myself when I feel like I'm doing that.

But, I've had a lot of boyfriends, lots of experiences. I even joined a Panhellenic sorority in college.

Still think life is what you make of it, though stereotypes and not having the foundation can make it a little tough to start.

*edit: Don't think it's a healthy outlook in life to look for something to blame, though. Just my 2cents.

My social life is not.

I feel like my time here on GAF I can only have relationships to joke about things or alert things everyone should know. However, to actually get close to me, I can't do that here. Not everything online can substitute real-life social interaction.

As for blaming, most kids grown up in that kind of environment tend to have low EQ, so you're right. It's not healthy, but I'm still a bit bitter.

clav

We are clearly superior genetically.
I agree.

The more genes mixed, the healthier the next generation regardless of race. Future should be mixes of many races.

I wonder what's our equivalent of mudblood here as there are some families out there who are against the mixed races thing due to money + language compatibility. Yeah we live in a screwed up world.

Kevyt

Didn't a lot of European royal families have all kinds of health issues because they didn't have a lot of genetic variation? I recall reading/hearing this.

About the education thing, I felt that I actually benefitted in some regards. I came over to Australia when I was pretty young, but having that Asian mentality that is heavily oriented on education propelled me forwards in terms of school years. I skipped effectively 1.5 year and still was doing VERY well. I ended up with state-recognised awards and stuff from the Department of Education. It was kinda embarassing when I told my friends back home cuz I was not one of the top performers back home.

:x

Anyway, that propelled me further and I got into a good university early and it also gave me a shoe-in to a great MBA program.

But yes, my parents and Asian friends had an obsessive focus with academic achievement. It was pretty strange, looking back. But it didn't feel strange back then.

I think I lucked out cuz my first bf was white and he was one of those types that was all about challenging norms and critical thinking and live-and-live-now, etc.

He really opened my eyes with regards to sexuality and identity and stuff.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
So what are your guys opinion on filipinos being considered Pacific Islander rather than Asian? Personally when I think Pacific Islander I think more on the lines of Samoan, Tongan, Hawaiian, chuukese, etc.

Filipinos are generally considered asian here in California. I remember going through the confusion growing up in elementary school when filling out forms, but it's a lot more clear now with Filipino being listed in the Asian section.

clav

Filipinos are generally considered asian here in California. I remember going through the confusion growing up in elementary school when filling out forms, but it's a lot more clear now with Filipino being listed in the Asian section.

Where is the Filipino community in California?

I have a classmate who lives in Cali now after living in the midwest, and he claims he can't find them.

XiaNaphryz

My parents consider them to be Pacific Islander… I think it's because people from the Philippines look more "European" (thanks to Spanish blood?).

While this is part of it, Filipinos still have enough Southeast Asian influence that they really should still be considered Asian. Vietnamese, Malay, etc. aren't generally considered Pacific Islander.

So what are your guys opinion on filipinos being considered Pacific Islander rather than Asian? Personally when I think Pacific Islander I think more on the lines of Samoan, Tongan, Hawaiian, chuukese, etc.
From what I noticed when I visited the Philippines (my wife is Chinese-Filipino), there is a very clear-cut distinction there between Chinese-Filipinos and ethnic Filipinos that's not just ethnic but also seems to be a class divide. Personally, I just consider them all Asian, since the Philippines are in Asia (and the Pacific Islands are not in and of themselves considered a continent), but I think over there the two consider each other completely different.

Here's a question for all the Filipinos, though: how do you feel about Claire Danes? My wife won't watch Homeland because she's in it. Evidently, she talked a lot of shit about the Philippines and its people a while back.

I have a classmate who lives in Cali now after living in the midwest, and he claims he can't find them.
Cerritos has a lot of Filipinos.

Didn't a lot of European royal families have all kinds of health issues because they didn't have a lot of genetic variation? I recall reading/hearing this.

Yeah, royal families in Europe had a lot of inter-family marriages and children, even when marrying between countries people were commonly first cousins and what not. When the gene pool is that close genetic deficiencies appear more often not to mention a laundry list of other things. Similar to pure breed animals. More recent times allowed them to marry almost whoever they want. But once again, 9 times out of 10 they were from "noble" or affluent families meaning once again, gene pool is still similar due to old money being more common than new.

With humans genetic mixing leads to more resistance against certain health issues and diseases. Like how African decent is susceptible to sickle cell, but other races are not. Chances of a person mixed with African decent and say white or in this threads case, Asian, is slim to none. Some even suggest that we/they are down right immune to giving birth to it.

XiaNaphryz

Plenty in the SF Bay Area and down in SoCal. Certain cities and neighborhoods will have heavier populations than others like Daly City, and you'll also find a lot near the major military bases. Growing up near a naval base, my public schools were easily at least 20% Filipino.

There's also a lot of Filipino cultural clubs at the major universities.

When I used to live in San Diego, National City had a sizable filipino community.

From what I noticed when I visited the Philippines (my wife is Chinese-Filipino), there is a very clear-cut distinction there between Chinese-Filipinos and ethnic Filipinos that's not just ethnic but also seems to be a class divide. Personally, I just consider them all Asian, since the Philippines are in Asia (and the Pacific Islands are not in and of themselves considered a continent), but I think over there the two consider each other completely different.

Similar experience with my family. My mom is Ilocano/Spanish and my Dad is Tagalog/Chinese. My fathers side looked down on Ilocanos (low class), field workers, etc.

Personally I identify myself as just American. Not Asian or Filipino-American. Im kinda far gone from my ethnic culture, dont understand the language nor have any genuine interest in Philippines. I do love to eat blood stew (dinuguan) though.

One thing I find interesting is hair style and how one perceives you. Im a male with long hair, middle of my back. 1st gen Asian women hate my hair, think I should get a "traditional" short haircut. But I noticed the more "Americanized" they are, the more accepting they are of it.

Other comments I get sometimes is they think Im native American because of my hair, or hawaiian for some reason.

RM8

Can I join the fun club? My family is Mexican / Japanese :] I can bring (real) tacos and you don't even have to tip me since it's not obligatory here in Mehicko!

XiaNaphryz

1st gen Asian women hate my hair, think I should get a "traditional" short haircut.

By 1st gen do you mean first in their family to arrive in the US, or the first generation born here? There's a big difference, I'm guessing you mean the former?

By 1st gen do you mean first in their family to arrive in the US, or the first generation born here? There's a big difference, I'm guessing you mean the former?

Sorry bout that, meant the former, first to arrive here.

So here's my lunch, kalbi salad.

ZC4xkvX.jpg

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
HI! TACOS.

Korean fusion tacos! I had some pork belly tacos the other day.. mmm.

img_1847.jpg

I once met a waiter named "Meow." I was so confused.

Question; do they make vegetarian korean tacos? My friends love them but they always have meat in them and I am vegetarian. I want to try one but not sure if it is worth it without any meat?

Windam

Scaley member
My great or great-great or something grandparents were
South
Asian, then they boarded those British ships for South America, then most of my family came here to Canada (where I was born fuck yea cryingbeaver.jpg maple syrup and bacon). Do I qualify for this thread?

Sorry bout that, meant the former, first to arrive here.

So here's my lunch, kalbi salad.

ZC4xkvX.jpg

Goddamn, now I want kalbi.

I don't even have bulgogi stocked around this house :(

Oh yeah. 1st generation US-born Korean American dude here. Slept my way through all levels of school and somehow managed to be employed as a software engineer fresh out of college four years ago.

I'm tall, socially dead, and also zero dating experience. But I don't have too much of a inferiority complex because my above-level intellect and adaptability is the only reason that I'm making 80k right now.

It's certainly not effort, because psssh

mr.rager

yeahhhh asian thread. Born in the Philippines but raised in Canada. Most people I meet say I don't look Filipino at all. Guesses range from Vietnamese (get this one A LOT), Chinese and Japanese. This one time some guy asked me if I was NORTH Korean. That was funny in a wtf kind of way lol.

Being Filipino, I have to post some delicious Filipino food.

Chicken Adobo

Lechon

Lumpia

Chicken Joy

yeahhhh asian thread. Born in the Philippines but raised in Canada. Most people I meet say I don't look Filipino at all. Guesses range from Vietnamese (get this one A LOT), Chinese and Japanese. This one time some guy asked me if I was NORTH Korean. That was funny in a wtf kind of way lol.

Chicken Adobo

Lechon

Lumpia

Chicken Joy

omg

i wants the first one so bad right now. it looks so delish~

^- Oh yeah, the "what race are you." I actually got asked that as well by her, same meeting. "So, you're Chinese?"

.____. All of my awkward 15 year old pimply self in her kitchen just feeling pressured as hell.

TBH I wasn't confused about it… my whole life, I've always gotten the impression that dating an Asian meant you were never going to be good enough for his/her family. It's kinda funny, because I think in Asian families, there's this feeling of never being good enough for your parents… BUT THE MOMENT YOU GET A PARTNER, you suddenly become a divine god/goddess, and no one is good enough for you.

I actually met a really nice Asian guy once, and I was seriously hesitate to date him because I was afraid of what his parents would think of me. My older cousin, grew up the same street as me, had serious drama with her in-laws because they didn't think she was good enough for him, and didn't think our family was good enough. They met in undergrad and both went to the same medical school. They actually delayed marriage for about three years because both our families were angry at each other (my family was insulted they didn't think she/we were good enough, and their family didn't think our family was good enough).

?___? Crazy cultural crap.

Filial piety? I care a lot what my parents think about me, more than I care what anyone else thinks. They're my parents.

I've only met the parents of two girlfriends and they've been really chill and accepting. I've also been unable to communicate with them because one was Japanese the other is Cantonese. Maybe it's better that way!

My parents also never really cared about my dating habits, except for my lack of dating. It's funny that I always hear about the overbearing parent thing but have never actually encountered it.

Ties

Banned
I've only met the parents of two girlfriends and they've been really chill and accepting. I've also been unable to communicate with them because one was Japanese the other is Cantonese. Maybe it's better that way!

My parents also never really cared about my dating habits, except for my lack of dating. It's funny that I always hear about the overbearing parent thing but have never actually encountered it.
It's just one of those damaging stereotypes that people hold against Asian people. I'm gay, my parents have never cared very much about that nor have they dictated who I should date.

My parents are hella preferential towards Asian men. When I was dating the white dude, they were very against him, citing very many reasons like "they are just too different", "they are too individualistic", "they dont care for their wives as well as Asian men do"

And even then, they are preferential towards certain demographics of Asian men. Basically, they wanted me to marry copies of themselves.

Now, their tunes have changed though. Cuz I'm in a closet relationship so to them I've been single for 8 years. So they are now like. Doesnt matter if bf is white. Just get hitched, stat

welp

mr.rager

omg

i wants the first one so bad right now. it looks so delish~

Chicken one is soo good. All my non-Filipino love it. My gf (Vietnamese) loved it so much, she learned how to make all variations of it.

And speaking of Vietnamese, my god, Vietnamese food is GLORIOUS. brb gonna go wake my gf and have her cook some bahn mi and com tam bi cha lol

Chicken Adobo

Lechon

Lumpia

Chicken Joy

I accidentally clicked on this thread. I'm not Filipino but I live with a one and very close friends of the family are Filipino. The food is amazing. When ever some has a birthday it's always fun.

Decided to head to Don Quijote (supermarket/dept chain in Japan) next door to pick up some snacks. Hint: there is Don Quijote in Yakuza...
TmcQGP5.jpg

Couldn't resist the ramen shop next door
R86utgE.jpg

Argyle

I'm so jealous of you. I hear that Hawaii has some of the GOAT Asian cuisine.

Just my opinion, but in Hawaii:

Japanese food = excellent, thanks to the large Japanese-American community and the influx of Japanese tourists

Chinese food = good if you like Cantonese food or the local Americanized Chinese food, otherwise it's kinda :( We may have invented the steam table Chinese concept though, so Panda Express owes us big time

Thai food = there are some decent places. I think Keo's might have been one of the first to popularize Thai food in America. I think it's pretty far behind Thai Town in LA, though...some of the really popular places with locals here I find to be pretty meh, but in fairness I probably haven't made it to the (reportedly) best place on this island.

Korean food = This is one of the few places where Koreans have adapted their cuisine to local tastes, in most places it seems that Korean restaurants cater mainly to Koreans. Korean food in Hawaii is sweeter and less spicy on the average, and I'm told really exploded in the 80's after a lot of people got used to eating Korean food in the local hostess bars...The leader in fast food Korean is Yummy's, who became very successful on their meat + 4 banchan plates, and there are a ton of places imitating them now. There's also been a newer wave of immigration so there are a fair number of more "authentic" places along with the ubiquitous local Korean places.

Vietnamese food = IMHO solid, also with some really interesting fusiony cooking coming from places like Pig and the Lady

Filipino food = I'm no expert but I think there are a lot of pretty great places for that here. Even generic plate lunch places will serve Filipino classics like chicken adobo. The Filipino community is very big here, so Filipino chains like Max's of Manila and Jollibee have opened outposts.

Indian food = lol (ok, I haven't really tried any of the places here but there are only like three...)

Decided to head to Don Quijote (supermarket/dept chain in Japan) next door to pick up some snacks. Hint: there is Don Quijote in Yakuza...
TmcQGP5.jpg

Couldn't resist the ramen shop next door
R86utgE.jpg

For those taking note - the ramen shop in the picture is actually an outpost of Santouka. They have a few unique to Hawaii menu items for those familiar with them elsewhere, like the pictured loco moco...

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
ugh wrong fucking thread to decide to check in the middle of the night

Making me hungry for some Ramen at this local place me and my friends frequent.

Zoe

What kind of rice do you Filipinos use? We only ever buy Japanese rice, and it's just not right with the few Filipino things I can make :\

What kind of rice do you Filipinos use? We only ever buy Japanese rice, and it's just not right with the few Filipino things I can make :

My mom uses Calrose rice, Diamond or Shirakiku brand....though the brand is probably going to be the one on sale...

Funny thing about rice for me is I hardly ever ate rice growing up. other than last nights dinner at Santouka I havent had rice for months. I also don't replace it with another starch, I can eat just the meat in a sitting. First half of my life I was a military brat moving all around the place. I guess my mom didn't have access to ingredients to make filipino food so she just made us sloppy joes, hamburger, meatloaf.

y2dvd

There's a korean/american fusion joint called LA Burger in Dallas. Even though the name has "LA" in it, I don't know if there are any locations there. I just know it's inspired by the Korean/Mexican fusion truck scene in LA.

Anyways, that place is so good. Bulgogi burger with fried eggs and kimchi fries.

Plnyx58.jpg

PeAXlUQ.jpg

There's a korean/american fusion joint called LA Burger in Dallas. Even though the name has "LA" in it, I don't know if there are any locations there. I just know it's inspired by the Korean/Mexican fusion truck scene in LA.

Anyways, that place is so good. Bulgogi burger with fried eggs and kimchi fries.

I have to go some time. Kimchi fries sound really good right about now.

Cybit

FGC Waterboy
My great or great-great or something grandparents were
South
Asian, then they boarded those British ships for South America, then most of my family came here to Canada (where I was born fuck yea cryingbeaver.jpg maple syrup and bacon). Do I qualify for this thread?

Everyone qualifies for this thread. :)

Top Bottom