• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGLeaks - Orbis GPU Detailed - compute, queues and pipelines

Biggzy

Whats the best GPU a console manufacturer could use for a fall 2013 release? Would 7950 be possible?

Well my choice would be a 7870 as the best candidate GPU to put into both next gen consoles, although that is right on the edge. A 7950 is probably pushing the TDP limits of the consoles too far. The PS4 GPU is very good GPU for a console that is most probably going to run on less than 200 Watts.

So are we to still believe the information they've been trickling out is still accurate despite the apparent recent changes to the PS4?

Saberus

IS the GPU equal to 7870? Or is it close to it?

That's really hard to say since this is a APU and it works differently that a single CPU/GPU and the APU works as a single entity with the CPU/GPU feeding off each other, kind of like chocolate and peanut butter, on their own, they are good, but put them together and WAH!!! :)

Durante

GCN 2.0 vs 1.0? What is it and why does it matter?
GCN is AMDs current GPU architecture, and 2.0 is obviously its successor. Since we have no idea what exactly this entails, throwing around the "GCN 2.0" moniker in console tech discussions is pretty meaningless IMHO.

Biggzy

That's really hard to say since this is a APU and it works differently that a single CPU/GPU and the APU works as a single entity with the CPU/GPU feeding off each other, kind of like chocolate and peanut butter, on their own, they are good, but put them together and WAH!!! :)

Yeah we haven't seen an APU as powerful as the PS4 - or at least I haven't seen one - so it will be interesting what it can do.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Would have to downclock it quite considerably and the perf advantage wouldnt be there.

CPU.

No, the point of the ACEs is to handle task allocation within the GPU. There may be some need for developers to chunk their code up in such a way to encourage the GPU to be more efficient though.

I wonder if each ACE is directly addressable by the developer?

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
It came up with the Durango GPU. It's at ~1.2Tflops but 100% efficiency and the 360 was rated at 60% efficiency.

You can throw a profiler and look at utilisation across a sampling of games and say 'that's how efficient that GPU is'. That's one measure of 'efficiency', if you really want. And you can look at the things that get in the way of typical code going faster on a chip and try to improve that in future hardware. And that's what GPU providers have been doing, where brute power aside, architectural changes and tweaks are aimed at. And this is another example here. But you're not going to have '100%' utilisation across even a more cherry-picked sample of games. And it's a narrow-ish (even if perhaps most meaningful) way to define 'efficiency'. Saying there's x% utilisation on average across a suite of games doesn't limit the GPU to that threshold, for example - other outlier games might do better with their code. 'Efficiency' in this context is a dance between software and hardware, and hardware can do things to help with typical cases and approaches, but it's not the only part of the equation, and the equation will never get to 100% :)

Sorry if I'm rambling a bit.

artist

Banned
No, the point of the ACEs is to handle task allocation within the GPU. There may be some need for developers to chunk their code up in such a way to encourage the GPU to be more efficient though.

I wonder if each ACE is directly addressable by the developer?
The 8 ACE would load balance it between their (64) rings and it seems like each ACE can be addressed by the CPU.

GCN is AMDs current GPU architecture, and 2.0 is obviously its successor. Since we have no idea what exactly this entails, throwing around the "GCN 2.0" moniker in console tech discussions is pretty meaningless IMHO.
I wouldnt say its meaningless, the diagram screams GCN 2.0.

Biggzy

Yea, that's actually one of the reasons I want BF5 to return to WWII. True destruction in a war that was pretty much all about destruction would be epic, especially if they brought naval battles back. Imagine a destroyer shelling a village along the coast with all of its weapons...MMMmmmm.

I hope more MP games are willing to take the risk on destruction and realize the potential instead of just thinking it would ruin the flow of a map.

Even with Battlefield 3 limited destruction, there isn't a better site then seeing the map transform before your eyes.

THE:MILKMAN

So are we to still believe the information they've been trickling out is still accurate despite the apparent recent changes to the PS4?

Well the RAM thing is the only thing that's been "wrong" so far and that was a last minute change. VGleaks obviously have a lot of detailed docs for PS4 (a 95 page PDF IIRC?) Why they choose to react to rumours I don't know.

I personally would just post everything......

Biggzy

Well the RAM thing is the only thing that's been "wrong" so far and that was a last minute change. VGleaks obviously have a lot of detailed docs for PS4 (a 95 page PDF IIRC?) Why they choose to react to rumours I don't know.

I personally would just post everything......

Get people coming back to their site.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
The 8 ACE would load balance it between their rings but it seems like each ACE itself can be addressed by the CPU.

Also looks like the 8 CSes are dedicated to compute, with the 8 process buffers upstream. So you'd fill them up with your compute tasks, and they'd be fed down into the compute units when a graphics task is stalled waiting for something?

So you can have 8 parallel compute threads running compared to 2 on standard AMD GPUs.

Osiris

I permanently banned my 6 year old daughter from using the PS4 for mistakenly sending grief reports as it's too hard to watch or talk to her

I wouldn't say "screams", but certainly suggests, the prime complaint about general compute on GCN was a lack of granularity and the resulting high cost of context switching that this brought about.
This modification seems to be directly aimed at improving that aspect of the GCN design.

I would now be highly unsurprised to see this outlined as the solution when GCN 2.0 details are revealed.

Well my choice would be a 7870 as the best candidate GPU to put into both next gen consoles, although that is right on the edge. A 7950 is probably pushing the TDP limits of the consoles too far. The PS4 GPU is very good GPU for a console that is most probably going to run on less than 200 Watts.

Interesting

So Sony is basically going with the best out there :)

Durante

How do you know what GCN 2.0 looks like? Are you really expecting the actual shader processors and render backends to be more or less unchanged?

And even if it were to be GCN 2.0, how would naming it as such now help us, since we have nothing to compare it to? I could just see it creating another "GDDR5" buzzword phenomenon.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward

Do we know what GCN2.0 is meant to look like?

Maybe it's GCN 2.0, maybe it's borrowing one aspect of GCN 2.0, or maybe it's a PS4-specific optimisation. Not sure it's obvious which it is at this stage.

Also, yeah, the suggested relationship between CPU and those process buffers is...interesting. I wonder how much scope there is for programmer guidance in how they're used.

edit - kind of beaten

onQ123

it means a dev can use the PS4 GPGPU as a power CPU whenever they feel like it & choose how powerful they want the CPU to be vs the GPU.

that's not how it go but it's easier for some people to understand it that way.

it means that a dev can use like 70% of the GPU to compute a Ray-tracing engine with 550GFLOPS left for the GPU.

will this work? hell if I know but at least they can try it if they wanted to.

artist

Banned
For anyone interested, the (die area) cost of adding the ACE could be signficant. Here is Tahiti die shot break down from fellix on B3D;

nfqygvru4k.jpg

I wouldn't say "screams", but certainly suggests, the prime complaint about general compute on GCN was a lack of granularity and the resulting high cost of context switching that this brought about.
This modification seems to be directly aimed at improving that aspect of the GCN design.

I would now be highly unsurprised to see this outlined as the solution when GCN 2.0 details are revealed.
How do you know what GCN 2.0 looks like? Are you really expecting the actual shader processors and render backends to be more or less unchanged?

And even if it were to be GCN 2.0, how would naming it as such now help us, since we have nothing to compare it to? I could just see it creating another "GDDR5" buzzword phenomenon.

Well, it might be just EGCN (Enhanced GCN), but the diagram clearly shows 8 compute pipelines with 8 user-level queues, which is what GCN 2.0 is all about (less data waiting in line to be processed).

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Well, it might be just EGCN (Enhanced GCN), but the diagram clearly shows 8 compute pipelines with 8 user-level queues, which is what GCN 2.2 is all about (less data waiting in line to be processed).

Can only be good for a closed box that will never really upgrade.

Top Bottom