• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance demo is up on Xbox Live and PSN US. PSN EU whenever.

Carbonox

If you have no idea how to parry, that dog destroys you. The only reason it didn't destroy me is because I had already seen several videos of the MGR demo.

Haha yeah. I couldn't imagine going in to this demo completely blank without an ounce of gameplay knowledge from vids.

branny

Which is why if they are going to design a game on this they could have penalized the player for spamming. Currently when you block you do not lose life. Penalize by subtracting a bit of life.
Hmm...isn't it sort of already like that, though? When you don't do the parry correctly, you just sit there forever bracing for the upcoming attack and then get stuck in block stun afterward which actually does leave you vulnerable to another attacker. A proper parry counters (with a follow-up that can stun the enemy if it connects) and gets you back into the action quicker.

The solution to prevent spamming is not to make the input unnecessarily difficult. I feel the analogue stick is not the right input to include in a mechanism that is so reliant on a narrow window to stun for fast bosses. It will lead to Raiden unnecessarily swinging or moving forward when the intention was to stun.
From the demo and all the trailers, it seems like bosses are going to have a lot of "flurry" attacks giving multiple chances to parry properly for players who might not be as adept at it as others. I don't really know what to say, though, because the problems you mention could still be an issue in less controlled situations if someone has trouble with the button inputs. =\

But I guess I'll just have to learn to love it.
Yeah, hopefully it grows on you. :(

kaskade

Are there any videos on advanced combat. I enjoy the demo but I really have no idea what I'm doing. Sometimes I parry and the enemy flies back and I can't counter fast enough and sometimes I can.

I really need to play Bayonetta and Vanquish though.

Are there any videos on advanced combat. I enjoy the demo but I really have no idea what I'm doing. Sometimes I parry and the enemy flies back and I can't counter fast enough and sometimes I can.

I really need to play Bayonetta and Vanquish though.

Might as well quote these again for the new page, there's a lot of cool stuff you can do in the demo, but none of it strictly necessary because of how quickly things get killed in the default difficulty. Canceling moves with blade mode (just tapping the button and not going into it proper) has a lot of potential that probably won't be explored til the full game hits.

How to be a BADASS in Rising Demo
http://youtu.be/xYGIRVeVY24?t=1m7s <---MGSR TUTORIAL on Moveset
(In Japanese, but you can figure out which buttons represent the moves)
http://youtu.be/IabHyQJA9-w <- Konami tutorial
afbr6c.gif

Some more demonstrations of what you can do in the demo, would be nice to maybe include these on every page so people aren't constantly confused by the mechanics and feel underwhelmed due to a lack of explanation.

Combo video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOxP7Twb5vA

Edit: 1:27 of that video seems pretty gif-worthy

The most abusive way to beat the demo with S-ranks:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YXTOYOkhOGs

The most elegant way to beat the demo with S-ranks:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IsMLNHB0w1I

*shrug* I had zero problems with the doggy, on my first play-through of the demo. Twice during the fight, there are opportunities to replenish health, thanks to the trash mobs he throws at Raiden. But that's only necessary if Raiden is getting his ass kicked.

This talk about journalists getting lit up by the mutt awhile back on the demo units? Well, it is because gaming journalists suck at playing videogames.

Besides. Those saying parrying is OP or whatever, they have to keep in mind that this is stage 1. Yeah the demo implies Raiden did some fighting before this, but that may as well be the extended tutorial.

The thing that fucks with my head is despite being like 87% mecha, Raiden can't get his freaking eye replaced. Somebody is going to sell the missing eye as DLC, and I'm going to buy it.

kaskade

Might as well quote these again for the new page, there's a lot of cool stuff you can do in the demo, but none of it strictly necessary because of how quickly things get killed in the default difficulty. Canceling moves with blade mode (just tapping the button and not going into it proper) has a lot of potential that probably won't be explored til the full game hits.

Thanks for those, half of that stuff I had no idea was even possible in the demo. I did really enjoy it though. I'll probably end up buying the full game depending on how reviews turn out. I need a change of pace in gaming. I feel like I've been playing a lot of shooter lately.

The thing that fucks with my head is despite being like 87% mecha, Raiden can't get his freaking eye replaced. Somebody is going to sell the missing eye as DLC, and I'm going to buy it.

I laughed when I saw he had a bandage over his eye, the guy is all cyborg and the best they could do is a bandage over his eye.

I laughed when I saw he had a bandage over his eye, the guy is all cyborg and the best they could do is a bandage over his eye.

I know its a thing in Metal Gear games but c'mon. Just have some random Solid-Snake looking dude with an eye-patch chilling on a patio smoking a cigarette.

Damn, we already have codec conversations. Just have the russian dude talk about James Bond movies whenever Raiden finds a grenade or whatever. "Yah, I saw Skyfall. Dat was a good movie."

spekkeh

Banned
Holy crap. Are demos really part of the Gold service too? Wow.

Don't know why you guys continue to put up with MS's garbage.

I don't. The xbox is probably my most played on console since the SNES. And that was during my childhood when I had endless time and already was a huge gamenerd. But because of this I'm not going to buy the nextbox. No matter how awesome it's going to be.

iavi

Honestly, I'm really disappointed. It's not a bad demo after a couple plays, but I wanted to love this from first go like I did the Bayo demo. That's not happening--total opposite, in fact. The combat actually feels like it needs work, and all the talky fluff like the codec conversations hardly has the charm of MGS proper.

Still buying, but now I'm going to watch for trusted impressions, rather than an impulse day one.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
*shrug* I had zero problems with the doggy, on my first play-through of the demo. Twice during the fight, there are opportunities to replenish health, thanks to the trash mobs he throws at Raiden. But that's only necessary if Raiden is getting his ass kicked.

This talk about journalists getting lit up by the mutt awhile back on the demo units? Well, it is because gaming journalists suck at playing videogames.

Besides. Those saying parrying is OP or whatever, they have to keep in mind that this is stage 1. Yeah the demo implies Raiden did some fighting before this, but that may as well be the extended tutorial.

He equips for style.

AlexBasch

It isn't that hard you just press the analog towards the attack and Square/X.
That was more well explained than in the goddamn game. Thank you.

That said, I still cant do it. I dislike how the camera goes in the opposite way of the fucking enemy when you enter manual combat. I got until the robot after the goons and every time I wanted to slice it, Raiden turned his back every time I pressed L1 and getting kicked in the arse.

I sorta like it, but its tough for newbies at those kind of games. I can imagine the game being unholy hard at times, so I guess seasoned players will like MGR, I suppose.

N30RYU

I want the Gray Fox skin to silence completely Raiden's voice and shout out loud "Hurt me moooore" everytime he'll be hit.

Mit-

This was the best idea ever. Doing this was satisfying as FUCK. I bow down to whoever thought to do this.

I don't quite even understand this gif.

So, dive kick to behind an enemy, but divekick appears to have a maximum fall distance, he hits the max, flips out of it, and then goes into a stealth kill?

How come he was able to hit the weak point of the soldier he didn't skewer?

ypo

I know the contrast is always more pronounced on 360 titles but some shadows and textures look flat out different.

Notice the shot of Raiden overlooking the street while talking to Boris, the darkest part of the shadow of the bus is on a different side on each shot, and the texture of the damaged floor right beside Raiden's head (same screenshot) has better definition on the 360. Same thing with the white hole on the street, by the bus.

Wasn't this demo supposed to have corrected some bugs present in the previous build? Raiden's hair still disappears in the middle of a QTE. WTF @ this.

You spotted such minute difference but yet didn't see the completely obvious worse shadows in the 360 version? I mean those are all over the screens. Anyway the textures are the same. It looked different in that one picture because of the difference in the camera angle. The *better* texture you noticed is right next the the hologram in the PS3 version due the the camera angle.

The 2 versions looked pretty much the same except the worse shadows in the 360 version. Oh that and the nasty crushed black . Eh the game doesn't look that good anyway.

I don't quite even understand this gif.

So, dive kick to behind an enemy, but divekick appears to have a maximum fall distance, he hits the max, flips out of it, and then goes into a stealth kill?

How come he was able to hit the weak point of the soldier he didn't skewer?

CIRCLE will promp if you are above and close to an enemy. So he will cancel his divekick animation when you click CIRCLE and go into Stealth Kill animation.

Endo Punk

I haven't played a combat heavy game this satisfying since NGB. Pulling off insane combos and then parrying just the right time into blade mode is one of greatest feelings of this gen. The game allows for so much experimenting, it's fantastic! Can't wait to up the difficulty in the full game.

Went in completely blind and loved it. Skipped the tutorial and still found it easy though. The dog telegraphed his attacks, he was easy to parry.

Some of you are really jumping the gun with the whole "button mashing combos don't matter" disappointment. There are 2 difficulty levels higher than the one in the demo, just hold on a minute for the full game to release. Bayonetta can be equally as mashy on Normal right up until you fight Grace & Glory, then the harder difficulties are like 2 different games.

Mit-

Anyone know what triggers that quick little dash forward you can do?

Sometimes after a regular bad parry, I could hold forward and tap square and Raiden would do a dash forwards. Is this just an animation for closing the distance on a locked-on enemy or something? Didn't seem to happen all the time. I had to wait a bit before executing it after the parry, too.

Duffyside

Banned
Ok, second play of the demo and I'm back on board.

Yes, the basic enemies are too easy to kill, but they won't be around for long in the main game. I don't know why any of us were panicking about the ease of the game. This is a demo of the first area. We can just look at the bosses to know how this will progress - dog forces you to learn how to parry, Mistral teaches you how to use Blade mode in very precise places to gain an advantage, Magnet-Dude then introduces the element of Blade mode not working in certain situations/for certain enemies, etc...

The game is just fun to be in. Platinum get the idea of letting the player move FAST to keep them entertained. It was fun to cut at bridge support columns. Fun to say "ok, this IS easy, so let me try and blade-mode this effer while sliding, or just decapitate him, etc." I love how Ninja Run adapts to minor obstacles in your way, with Raiden doing rad rolls over barrels or cool hops over barricades. Sliding into enemies is super fun, and a great way to start a good combo. There are certainly lots of other abilities to unlock, even weapons, and I suspect the wall run still.

And 60 fps.

Astral

Sometimes after a regular bad parry, I could hold forward and tap square and Raiden would do a dash forwards. Is this just an animation for closing the distance on a locked-on enemy or something? Didn't seem to happen all the time. I had to wait a bit before executing it after the parry, too.

That's happened to me too. I think it is just Raiden closing the gap, at least I hope it is.

Fuck, parrying is just too hard. I've played through the demo 4 or 5 times now, and I still cannot parry or do the X+Square dodge move on command. It works maybe half the time. I wish parrying was mapped to it's own button.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
holy shit guys more new videos..

some spoilers in the locations (enemies and areas spoiled) for BOTH VIDEOS

Locations overview video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDEFuFtmRoI

Zandetsu overview video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHvu6hV5yyc&list=UUKy1dAqELo0zrOtPkf0eTMw&index
Okay I had to watch the locations video because my gripe thus far with all the media has been all the locales and colour palettes look the same.

And that still appears to be the case outside of the boss battles and that one
oriental architectural
environment. There appears to be some variety in the locations chosen specifically from what I can infer from the architecture, but the game still looks to be 80% grays and browns.

I tried to search for it and couldn't find it, had to go to demos then new releases and it was under there.

I'm Aussie and downloaded it last night.

Cheers. Pretty sure I did that, mang. I had run out of Live, so I used my two-week Gold trial that came with Halo 4; it still has advertising to sign up for Gold on the dashboard, however.

Should that even make a difference? Surely you're still able to see it, even if you're a Silver member.

Mr. RHC

Yea, it's a fun game. Parrying is tedious in the beginning, but I think there is reasonable learning curve to it. The music in the boss battle is heating up towards the end, I liked that very much. It's good to see that the properly integrated codec conversations!

Too bad the story is more of a spin-off this time around. I also haven't figured out the stealth and unlethal gameplay.

Edit: Oh, and am I doing this wrong or is switching to secondary weapons really that hard?

Well that might be the most badass thing I've ever played. I have a lot to learn though. During the boss I essentially just parried and followed with button mashing because I wanted each parry to be worth something. Still took me two tries but the second time I didn't get hit too much. Seems like this game isn't as combo-necessary as DMC/Bayonetta though (first impression at least). If so then I'm glad Platinum is going with its own type of gameplay. Visuals are surprisingly good for a 3D 60fps title this gen.
Fuck, parrying is just too hard. I've played through the demo 4 or 5 times now, and I still cannot parry or do the X+Square dodge move on command. It works maybe half the time. I wish parrying was mapped to it's own button.
Hmm I'm doing surprisingly well with parrying for someone who hasn't spent much time with 3D action games. The boss especially was easier than the geckos.
Wonder if I should play this on normal or hard the first time through. I really want to learn the game so maybe I'll just stick to the fairly tolerable normal mode first.

S1kkZ

the parrying just pisses me off. works fine for normal enemies and geckos, but its pure luck at the boss for me. sometimes he blocks an attack but 95% of the time it just doesnt work.

Surface of Me

I'm not an NPC. And neither are we.

Same. I also have terrible trouble with the blade mode. I don't know if it goes into the direction that Raiden is facing or the way the camera is, but I was fighting a Gecko and it kept going the opposite way I wanted it too. Frustrating as fuck. I'm also terrible at getting the right stick to the glowing boxes. How do you map it to a button?

Same. I also have terrible trouble with the blade mode. I don't know if it goes into the direction that Raiden is facing or the way the camera is, but I was fighting a Gecko and it kept going the opposite way I wanted it too. Frustrating as fuck. I'm also terrible at getting the right stick to the glowing boxes. How do you map it to a button?

With blade mode, I just move the right stick like crazy and spam square and triangle. Eventually you hit the point you need, while chopping the fuck out of the enemy. I'm noticing that I'm getting better at the demo slowly. Can't wait for the full game.

Carbonox

I've mastered Zandatsu finally. It literally makes a world of difference if you ignore the right stick. It sucks for this. Square and Triangle are all you need for accurate cuts.

wanders

I think if you actually click down on the left analog stick and the light attack button at the same time Raiden will move towards the enemy.

Nope, not digging it at all. Lots of button mashing involved until it comes to parrying (which doesn't feel intuitive enough as a means of defense anyway), the camera is often your enemy and there's too many QTEs involved that will undoubtedly become mind-numbingly repetitive after a couple of hours play. Goddamn is it an ugly game too.

Riposte

How attack button + push in direction of attack not intuitive?

I wonder if the harder difficulties will have any handicaps. Bayonetta went as far getting rid of witch time.

Can you block in this game? The red eyed dog is killing me in about 10 seconds. It keeps telling me to Parry but I can't see to do that. LOL :)

When you parry the dog he flies back so far that you can't hit him and have to parry him again. I must be missing something about the combat system.

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
The game didn't have me much interested since I'm never good at the genre but after playing more of the demo I'm picking it up. Heard great things about Vanquish so need to pick that up some time.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
I wanted to slice it, Raiden turned his back every time I pressed L1 and getting kicked in the arse.

I sorta like it, but its tough for newbies at those kind of games. I can imagine the game being unholy hard at times, so I guess seasoned players will like MGR, I suppose.

Spoiler:
YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO BLADE MODE IT
until
the game purposely tells you to blade mode it, EG: at the end 0.00% of boss's health left

JamieWellTheresYourProblem.mp3

Top Bottom