• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

iOS Gaming January 2017 | Swipe Right Into The New Year

killercow

Binding of Isaac was so incredibly boring on my computer already, that I can't see myself paying a whopping $15 for the mobile version. If it had been $8 I would have probably jumped on.

It's definitely not for everyone but I'm glad they went for that price. It wouldn't be shocking on other platforms and here it's the real deal with every feature of the PC version (up to Rebirth) being included so it's only fair that it's launching at that price.

Oynox

Sorry for quoting myself but I feel like nobody saw this last post on the fourth page... maybe nobody is interested but yeah, the game releases tomorrow as premium game for $2.99. I will probably give it a try and post impressions later.

Looking forward to the grim storyline and tactical combat which I remember quite good.

Launch Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dt_fPSnn4M

Not sure if many around here played flash games in the past but during the time I used to play them you could not get around Sonny, made by Krin, published by Armorgames in 2007.

Looks like Krin actually worked not only on Sonny 3 but also on a remaster of the first two games for iOS. Not only that but all "three" games get released together as Sonny in the coming weeks (scheduled "mid-January"). However I am a bit bummed out by the change of art style. Seems like they kept it during cut-scenes but during gameplay it lost its charm imo. Luckily gameplay is supposed to be unchanged.

Really looking forward to this!

giphy.gif

Armorgames Preview: Sonny and Strategy

Pachimari

It's definitely not for everyone but I'm glad they went for that price. It wouldn't be shocking on other platforms and here it's the real deal with every feature of the PC version (up to Rebirth) being included so it's only fair that it's launching at that price.
The price is fair. All I said was, that the price isn't what I'm prepared to shell out for, since I didn't like it on PC. I was ready to give it another chance on iPad though but now I'll be waiting for a sale.

killercow

The price is fair. All I said was, that the price isn't what I'm prepared to shell out for, since I didn't like it on PC. I was ready to give it another chance on iPad though but now I'll be waiting for a sale.

Oh, only the first part of the comment was made for you, wasn't meant to be an attack or anything. I just commented on the price ;)

Boney

Banned
Sorry for quoting myself but I feel like nobody saw this last post on the fourth page... maybe nobody is interested but yeah, the game releases tomorrow as premium game for $2.99. I will probably give it a try and post impressions later.

Looking forward to the grim storyline and tactical combat which I remember quite good.

Launch Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6dt_fPSnn4M
Oh I'm definately on board.

It depends on the game really. For "good" mobile game i can spend more than 10$.
For example i wouldn't spend 10$ on Mario Run. But i would spend 10$ on Severed for example. I got Severed on sale for 3.99$ and i feel like i should give developers 6.99$ which is full price of the game.

I don't have any weekly or monthly limit but i really like sales, not just on App Store, but i guess we all do? lol
Triggered
Mario is great :p

Oynox

Mario is great :p
I do not really want to argue with that but if you consider how many quality games there are on the app store the $10 price tag seems to me only because "Mario"... Which is fine of course because well known licensed stuff is always more expensive than lesser known brands.

It is incredible that it is possible to play a Mario game in an iPhone but yeah.

Voidance

It looks great. I'm definitely interested!

BoI has quite a remarkable price tag. That gives me a good opportunity to ask something I have been wondering about quite some time. At which price tags do you buy games without thought and where to you start to think about the money spent? Of course this largely depends on how much money you have at all and how much you have to think about how to spend it, but yeah, was wondering about that.
Depends on the game, the genre, premium or not, etc.

Unless it's like an endless runner for $5 or a genre I dont like, anything $5 or less isnt really a matter of price. Those prices are so low compared to every other platform. Anything over that, I need some reviews and more complex games to justify the price, like Demon's Rise 2 for $7.99.

Ports - if I really like the game - I get at any price. Mainly because I believe in supporting higher priced mobile games, rather than seeing devs need to diminish the price because it's mobile. So $10 for Transistor or 15 for BoI on my iPad? Absolutely.

Pachimari

Sunless Sea with all expansions but Zubmariner will come to iPad this summer, just announced.

The incredible Sunless Sea by Fail Better Games is coming to iPad this spring! The game will feature the full version of the original PC game, including all updated content, except for the Zubmariner expansion:
http://us9.campaign-archive1.com/?u=79f068d8b7e64e1e8d70ed4ff&id=ece387d88a&e=1826c76e72

Edit: Beaten :D
Got it on Steam already but haven't really dived into it, so I'm very glad about this news. Wonder why they didn't include Zubmariner, maybe later on when the base game has released.

Matt Frost

Can anyone please mention a similar game to Super Crate Box On iOS that isnt SpellSword (already played a lot and loved it)?

Edit: Downwell

PittaGAF

What's even better about the Sunless Sea iOS port it's that it is made by the same team that ported Don't Starve, Invisible Inc., Bastion....so I'm assuming it will be very good.

What's even better about the Sunless Sea iOS port it's that it is made by the same team that ported Don't Starve, Invisible Inc., Bastion....so I'm assuming it will be very good.
Fantastic. Their ports and translation of controls to touch has been excellent

Depends on the game, the genre, premium or not, etc.

Unless it's like an endless runner for $5 or a genre I dont like, anything $5 or less isnt really a matter of price. That prices are so low compared to every other platform. Anything over that, I need some reviews and more complex games to justify the price, like Demon's Rise 2 for $7.99.

Ports - if I really like the game - I get at any price. Mainly because I believe in supporting higher priced mobile games, rather than seeing devs need to diminish the price because it's mobile. So $10 for Transistor or 15 for BoI on my iPad? Absolutely.

fucking nailed it.

Pachimari

Is there a huge difference between vanilla BoI and Rebirth/Afterbirth other than content?

Apparently I've only tried the vanilla version.

Is there a huge difference between vanilla BoI and Rebirth/Afterbirth other than content?

Apparently I've only tried the vanilla version.
New graphics and music, better performance, new engine that allows for different and larger rooms and stable performance, alongside all the new content

Well I went ahead and bought BoI, if nothing else than to support the devs giving mobile a chance. Will post impressions later.

I saw on Ed's blog about that Legend of Bumbo game that will be coming to iOS later. Looks pretty cool and it being a match 3 game makes it highly likely that the iOS version will come out in a timely fashion.

Pachimari

I'm worried about the 4-direction shooting, but the thought of combining power ups sounds enticing. The developer has just said the price will never change, which to me sounds like we probably won't get a sale either, so might just bite the bullet and buy it for iPad. Hopefully Afterbirth will come soon too. And hopefully it controls well with either of the two control configurations on touch.

I'm just a sucker for ports to iOS.

I'm worried about the 4-direction shooting, but the thought of combining power ups sounds enticing. The developer has just said the price will never change, which to me sounds like we probably won't get a sale either, so might just bite the bullet and buy it for iPad. Hopefully Afterbirth will come soon too. And hopefully it controls well with either of the two control configurations on touch.

I'm just a sucker for ports to iOS.

So far the 3DS version hasn't dropped in price at all since release afaik.

I think it has been discounted on PSN. Not sure, I got it free on PS+. I got it during Steam sale though but forgot the price as it was part of a huge cart purchas.e Probably 30% off.

No idea about the Xbox One version. didn't even know it was on Xbox One until today and I've owned an Xbox for a while lol.

I just defeated mother on my 6s+

IMG_0033.png

Overall the touch controls are splendid, I found that playing in horizontal view was a little bit easier than portrait view for my device at least. Though I'm probably going to at least attempt to get used to portrait mode since I like the uncrowded screen of it. Going to attempt a mothers heart Run later tonight and then try unlocking some characters afterwards. Overall this is a fantastic port and well worth price of entry, this will not be leaving my device any time soon.

Matt Frost

The price of BOI isnt going down or will have a sale anytime soon, or for a year, according to the devs, so if you like it dont hesitate because of the probability of an upcoming sale

theytookourjobz

I know a lot of work probably went into the iOS version of BoI but I really wish there were some way to give owners of the game on other platforms a bit of a discount. I think I've bought the game on every platform (PC, XB1, PS4) and another $15, while I'm sure worth it, is a bitter pill to swallow.

NeoRaider

How do i get the crown in Lost Socks?? Getting 3 stars is really easy, just finished level 6 and i got all the stars on all levels but i only have two crowns, and that's for level 1 and 2. Tried so many times on all levels from 3 to 6 but i can't kill all these creatures. Why it is so fucking hard?

Super Hyper Ball 2:

https://appsto.re/us/_5sXeb.i

Impressions: So far I'm finding it really fun. Normally I don't care for most pinball games due to them being simple score chasers but this one actually has objectives and a good amount of depth. The different platforms and power ups keep the gameplay ever changing so it doesn't get repetitive.

It's free to play with ads and currency packs but there is an ad removal and coin doubler in the shop which makes it pretty fair.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
neon chrome, boi or leap of faith

which is the slowest & which has the most generous progression (keep stuff after a rub)?

putermcgee

This looks like a cool Ziggurat-like, from the devs of The Firm

Towaga, $2.99
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCYxPhdY2Ns
screen520x924.jpeg
Looks neat, and I might check it out. I don't think it'll be able to leave an impression on me quite like Ziggurat. Not only was that game fun as hell, the music was amazing. Of course, I don't think I was ever good enough to hear the full song in the game, but I bought the "soundtrack" to listen to it all. It's too bad I think they re-released Ziggurat at least once, leaving anyone with the previous game stuck with a broken game once iOS updates weren't compatible. Though, if they released it again, with more modern phone support, I'd definitely buy it again!

that Issac game y'all keep tailing bout is available

https://t.co/tpQb3xk4oO

I really want to get this, but without Afterbirth I'm not sure if I can justify €15 on it when I already have it on PC, especially when I'm concerned about how well it controls.

Can anybody who has it on a non-Plus iPhone comment on how well it controls in comparison to the PC version? I'd imagine it's a little more tolerable with a Plus or iPad, but is it playable on a smaller iPhone? The thought of a "The Lost" run on an iPhone 6S or 7 is making me fret, so I'm hoping it's not that bad.

Pachimari

Star Wars has gotten yet another free-to-play game. Star Wars: Force Arena is setting up players against each other in a MOBA-style game, with mechanics resembling those of Clash Royale. It also has 2v2 online matches and got a new Guild system and new Rogue One characters today, which was not available during the beta.

RustyO

Sunless Sea with all expansions but Zubmariner will come to iPad this summer, just announced.

This is relevant to my interests... Sunless Sea intrigues me. But I've only played it a couple of times on the computer. Will double dip for that comfy couch experience.

Jarsonot

Played some Isaac. At first I was worried about the controls but after some time playing I think they're just fine.

Beat mom for the first time a little bit ago.

Haven't tried the controller yet, and I suspect the controller will be better of course, but yeah, this is fantastic and so far seems to be a great port. Wish there was a way to compare progress with friends.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Star Wars has gotten yet another free-to-play game. Star Wars: Force Arena is setting up players against each other in a MOBA-style game, with mechanics resembling those of Clash Royale. It also has 2v2 online matches and got a new Guild system and new Rogue One characters today, which was not available during the beta.

it's pretty great off the bat

we'll see how it balances after some weeks

Matt Frost

Looking at Rebirth iOS trailers and to me it seems that is more like Afterbirth than the original game on PC. Pixelated graphics, different soundtrack, more stuff,... and the gameplay fits iOS pretty well. Might dip after all

This looks like a cool Ziggurat-like, from the devs of The Firm

Towaga, $2.99
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qCYxPhdY2Ns
screen520x924.jpeg

There was another game quite a few years ago that looked very similar to this (not Ziggurat). This looks great though.

Edit: actually it was Ziggurat I was thinking of :(

Was getting Ziggurat confused with Savant Ascent.

Looks neat, and I might check it out. I don't think it'll be able to leave an impression on me quite like Ziggurat. Not only was that game fun as hell, the music was amazing. Of course, I don't think I was ever good enough to hear the full song in the game, but I bought the "soundtrack" to listen to it all. It's too bad I think they re-released Ziggurat at least once, leaving anyone with the previous game stuck with a broken game once iOS updates weren't compatible. Though, if they released it again, with more modern phone support, I'd definitely buy it again!

Gameplay trailer for Towaga for those interested. I wished the character moved like Savant - Ascent. Never played Ziggurat either...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8wt5PgMjPBY

okno

Okay. Bit the Isaac bullet.

It's really, really good. Touch controls are excellent, but I can see this being much better with a controller. Still, it's a great game that made me almost miss my train stop twice today.

Okay. Bit the Isaac bullet.

It's really, really good. Touch controls are excellent, but I can see this being much better with a controller. Still, it's a great game that made me almost miss my train stop twice today.
Played it before?

I'm curious how newcomers, especially if you've played games inspired by Isaac (cough Feral Fury), like it

okno

Played it before?

I'm curious how newcomers, especially if you've played games inspired by Isaac (cough Feral Fury), like it

Nope! I'm a virgin. Wasn't feeling it for my first 10-20 deaths, mostly because they came so quickly. Once I began to understand the world and how the game works, I quickly got sucked into it. The game is a total rush once it begins to make sense.

Top Bottom