• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Darkest Dungeon |OT| A festering mecca of antediluvian evil

DrArchon

I finally beat the 8-Pounder. After two near wipes from it, I finally beat the damn thing. Think I might have gone overboard in terms of prepping my team though. Only got hit once during the fight, and it was by a random bandit for like 6 damage or something. I'm not sure anyone ended the fight with any more than 15 stress either.

I've totally been sleeping on Graverobbers. Holy shit they're good. +Acc on every dagger throw is astoundingly useful, and they can stack so much blight with the poison daggers. Great camping skills too. Easily my favorite ranged DPS class right now.

Cutwolf

Loving this game but don't entirely know what I'm doing.

Biggest frustration is RNGesus screwing me constantly giving monsters 5 or 6 straight turns. I get why it's rng, but come on.

Loving this game but don't entirely know what I'm doing.

Biggest frustration is RNGesus screwing me constantly giving monsters 5 or 6 straight turns. I get why it's rng, but come on.

I agree with this sentiment alot of people pushed the developer for turn order but they said it would make it too predictable and easy. the problem is this encourages you to stack speed and dodge characters to compensate later. Well at least from what I've seen.

Sober

I agree with this sentiment alot of people pushed the developer for turn order but they said it would make it too predictable and easy. the problem is this encourages you to stack speed and dodge characters to compensate later. Well at least from what I've seen.
I thought turn order wasn't really predetermined but somewhat randomized every turn or everyone just happens rerolls initiative for each turn? I just kinda wish there was a visible order so I knew who's going up next, especially considering if you defer a turn on a character you lose it rather than delay it.

I thought turn order wasn't really predetermined but somewhat randomized every turn or everyone just happens rerolls initiative for each turn? I just kinda wish there was a visible order so I knew who's going up next, especially considering if you defer a turn on a character you lose it rather than delay it.

Yea I'm not 100% sure but I think it's like initiative in any other D20 type game. I think it's base speed+1d8. Suprise rounds also make them go at the end of the round, then they often start again if they are fast so they "go twice". Technically there is turn order it's just determined on a per round basis. So often the enemy will end the turn then roll high and go again at the end of the turn order.

Sober

I just wish that it had something like TOEE where you could see the initiative/round order, even if it gets occasionally shuffled every turn.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Week 21, 3 bosses down and only 4 deaths so far, going pretty alright so far I think :p

the deaths door mechanic is actually a lot more forgiving than I expected, most of the time my guys dont die from the next hit (so far)

Gothos

Man, I made a HUGE mistake when I had like 47k gold, felt rich and decided to buy some trinket for 25k. 25 weeks later i struggle for money a bit and could use those stupidely spent 25k, ehhh....

OKK

Collector spawns if you hang around too much with a full inventory.
Have developers said this is the case?

Either it's a common bug or this is not true, because I have had several encounters with the Collector and my inventory has not been nowhere near full.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Lost someone to the Siren but killed her. Thats gonna be a pain when shes upgraded >_>

OKK

What is your characters speed stat? Either take trinkets that increase your speed or take Man-at-Arms with Bolster skill to dungeons. This will help a lot.

zer0das

Banned
Man, I made a HUGE mistake when I had like 47k gold, felt rich and decided to buy some trinket for 25k. 25 weeks later i struggle for money a bit and could use those stupidely spent 25k, ehhh....

Could have easily lost it to a character or two dying as well. Trinkets are probably one of the worst things to get early though, since you need to grind for a ton of crests to get the costs down.

If it makes you feel better, when my first party hit 3 I cured most of their negative traits... and promptly regained a set of new ones.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.

Either it's a common bug or this is not true, because I have had several encounters with the Collector and my inventory has not been nowhere near full.

http://darkestdungeon.gamepedia.com/The_Collector said:
The Collector is an Eldritch/Human miniboss who has a 5% chance to spawn if your inventory is over 65% full.

It could be noted that my inventory is basically ALWAYS >65% full, but, yeah.

By the way, if anyone else is looking for a way to shorten animations..
http://www.mediafire.com/download/b46xbqhnljr06wt/LessCombatZoom.zip

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Attempted my 1st level 3 dungeon. I took it too lightly. Men were lost.

According to the Wiki, he has a 5% chance to spawn, if your inventory is 65% full.

kionedrik

After a disastrous fight against the swine king that cost me my whole team, my best trinkets and all the gold I had, I decided to restart.

Now I reached the first year mark with no deaths and all veteran bosses except the Siren and Crew dead. All my guys are either 4 or freshly arrived at 5.

To celebrate I decided to take my brand new level 5 guys on a champion adventure to the Cove (I needed to do it here in order to flush the Siren out...). The only dungeon available is a long run so I had little choice. I prepare my guys, spend all my gold upgrading their best skills to max level, buy a shitload of supplies and am left with only 3k in the bank. Basically the stakes couldn't be any higher.

Right outside the first room I encounter a Collector, the first one in about 30 weeks and maybe the 3rd or 4th in this campaign. The fight goes well and I manage to kill him quickly although his 2 highway men minions manage to bleed my arbalest and bring her to deaths door, thanks to 2 crits in a row and a zero heal from my occultist. At this point I was thinking: "If this is the first fight wtf can I expect from now on?...". In the end they all survive although my occultist is left with half heath.
I literally move 1 square further and get ambushed. My party was surprised and my occultist is left in the front position. First attack gets him to deaths door. In what can only be a couple of desperation moves, I manage to bring him back and keep him alive with the arbalest. By the end of this fight all the party had 60+ stess and 2 deaths door penalties. I had only moved two tiles in a corridor between the entrance and the first room, in a dungeon with 20+ rooms...
After this curious start I get some lucky fights and crits, manage to keep the stress balanced and the hp up. Later my helion is also brought to deaths door in a random fight due to my own fault (I admit I was too greedy) and another zero heal.

In the end I come out with everyone alive with minimun stress, 36k gold and 2 full levels.
6I5OnCK.jpg

What seemed doomed to fail so early became one of the greatest victories I ever had in this game.

PS: Fuck the giant crabs.

What seemed doomed to fail so early became one of the greatest victories I ever had in this game.

Always bring plenty of bandages unless you take a plague doctor with battle healing on champion level cove runs.

That giant crab bleed hits for 10 dmg a tick O_O

DrArchon

God, I remember my first medium level Cove run where I ran into one of those. I think I brought like 2 bandages and my jaw hit the floor when I saw that my Bounty Hunter was gonna bleed for 8 damage a turn for 5 turns.

I think I just "noped" out of there right after that.

kionedrik

Awesome story.

That makes me realize that I don't know how resolve is rewarded. How do you get 2 levels in 1 campaign?

Took me by surprise as well. I looked around and found this. Seems like a good way to get level 6 guys is to do a long dungeon right after they hit 5.

Always bring plenty of bandages unless you take a plague doctor with battle healing on champion level cove runs.

That giant crab bleed hits for 10 dmg a tick O_O

I brought 4 bandages and used them all. Still you always take 1 tick of damage which sucks. My PD was only level 4 and was mildly crazy so he had to stay home.

Iryx

Finished the game. Was getting a bit bored at the end, since I decided to grind out all the bosses before going into DD, but I enjoyed the final dungeon. Thankfully I didn't fail hard enough to be forced to level up a new roster.

Also I didn't get the Reynauld/Dismas achievment even though they went out the final mission and survived.

Rhaknar

16 hours and im not burned at all, the game has a very serious case of "one-more-turn-itis"

got a bunch of level 3s now, I think its time to tackle a orange mission soon. In fact, I have a bunch of level 2 bosses that I cant use my level 3s on because the quests are still considred rank 1?

so bosses with my rank 2s, and tackle a tank 3 quest are my goals for tomorow

Oh and I finally saw the collector, he looks neat. I can see it being annoying at higher ranks

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
Took me by surprise as well. I looked around and found this. Seems like a good way to get level 6 guys is to do a long dungeon right after they hit 5.

I brought 4 bandages and used them all. Still you always take 1 tick of damage which sucks. My PD was only level 4 and was mildly crazy so he had to stay home.

Plague Doctors are goddamn great in the Cove.

Rhaknar

Are those priest ladies mandatory at higher difficulties? Ive been using all sorts of healers, those bow guys, cultists, plague doctors, and while you can see that the priests arevthe best healers ive been more or less fine so far, but im wondering when it gets harder if it's at all viable.

Like that plague doctor heal doesnt do much for example :/

edit: yo fuck this boss

I was extremely lucky with some death door hits at the end, I was trading heals between my crusadr and my arbalest while the bounty hunter dpsed him, it was a race but eventually the arbalest died because he stunned my crusader before. the 4th was a highwayman and he died long before (lol)

Man I love this game

Vestals are the most 'viable' healer since they have both a great direct heal and the only all party heal. They also have great class trinkets that really help them heal as well too.

Occultists are the second best healer I'd say, but they're a gamble if they are the only healer. I usually run one with an Arbalest since they work well together with Marking and healing.

If you don't take one of those classes on a dungeon run, you'll want a combination of classes / abilities that allow for healing. For example, I like having a combination of Leper, Houdmaster, and/or Abomination in the front two spots since they all have decent self healing.

I haven't played to much in the really late game though, so I can't say for sure 100%. All I can really say is that you can't spend too much time healing because then you'll just be gathering more stress.

Rhaknar

Brigand 8 Pounder was the easiest boss so far, I guess I got lucky because both times he got a shot off it was a misfire. besides that I just killed the adds fast and he usually couldnt even shoot

_Legacy_

I don't run a veteran or champion dungeon without a vestal or occultist. Vestal is better heal imo with the team heal skill (even better with trinket that gives +30% heal skills) but that random crit heal from occultist that can basically take you from death's door to full hp is insane.

I don't know how people can send teams into higher end dungeons without either one, yeah some other classes can heal a bit but a 3-5 heal when your main tank has 45+ hp is peanuts.

Draft

Are those priest ladies mandatory at higher difficulties? Ive been using all sorts of healers, those bow guys, cultists, plague doctors, and while you can see that the priests arevthe best healers ive been more or less fine so far, but im wondering when it gets harder if it's at all viable.

Like that plague doctor heal doesnt do much for example :/

edit: yo fuck this boss

I was extremely lucky with some death door hits at the end, I was trading heals between my crusadr and my arbalest while the bounty hunter dpsed him, it was a race but eventually the arbalest died because he stunned my crusader before. the 4th was a highwayman and he died long before (lol)

Man I love this game
No healer is ballsy because things will go bad and a character will be put on death's door. Without something to get them back to 1-2 HP, that's a bad time. Luckily many of the good DPS classes have a heal.

_Legacy_

Brigand 8 Pounder was the easiest boss so far, I guess I got lucky because both times he got a shot off it was a misfire. besides that I just killed the adds fast and he usually couldnt even shoot

Yeah it's easy, the Hag is also straightforward if
you ignore whoever is in the cauldron and just beat her up
, this has worked on both apprentice and veteran for me.

Rhaknar

did my first veteran quest, just a shorty...and lost a veteran already >_>

to fucking spiders of all things. one critted my graverobber for 21 (lol? a spider?) and then the next one finished her off. Enemies seemed to dodge ALOT more and overall just used RNGesus to their advantage compared to the normal ones. Not sure how I feel about that. Im fine with RNG being RNG, not so much with AI cheating to make it harder. Maybe I was just unlucky

edit: un-transformed abomination is actually pretty decent. a 2-enemy blight, a stun and a self heal, not too shabby

It seems that many of the bosses have a sort of puzzle around them. Have you guys been looking up how to solve that puzzle, or are you coming upon it organically? I just got creamed by the Wizened Hag.
I was over-concentrating on getting my dudes out of the pot.
Honestly just curious what your styles are.

Also, does the game pick up on if you use a particular team often? I noticed this the other day - when I put a team together, it named them on the Embark screen. Right above their portraits on the center bottom of the screen, it said "The Strays" in gold text. That was kinda cool.

kionedrik

did my first veteran quest, just a shorty...and lost a veteran already >_>

to fucking spiders of all things. one critted my graverobber for 21 (lol? a spider?) and then the next one finished her off. Enemies seemed to dodge ALOT more and overall just used RNGesus to their advantage compared to the normal ones. Not sure how I feel about that. Im fine with RNG being RNG, not so much with AI cheating to make it harder. Maybe I was just unlucky

edit: un-transformed abomination is actually pretty decent. a 2-enemy blight, a stun and a self heal, not too shabby

What's your equipment and skill levels? Mobs increase their dodge, damage, hp and accuracy values as you go from novice to veteran and to champion. Unless you keep up you'll have a tough time getting through those dungeons. RNG plays an important part but I never felt it screwed me for the sake of it and in this particular case you can nudge it in your favor.

It seems that many of the bosses have a sort of puzzle around them. Have you guys been looking up how to solve that puzzle, or are you coming upon it organically? I just got creamed by the Wizened Hag.
I was over-concentrating on getting my dudes out of the pot.
Honestly just curious what your styles are.

Also, does the game pick up on if you use a particular team often? I noticed this the other day - when I put a team together, it named them on the Embark screen. Right above their portraits on the center bottom of the screen, it said "The Strays" in gold text. That was kinda cool.

Against the Hag i like to run mark teams.
(Arbalest/Graverobber+Occultist+Houndmaster) and a front-liner that can attack the back (Helion, BH or MaA)
. With this comp you'll always have at least 2 damage dealers available that can attack in any position. You can then decide to focus her with all or have 1 hit her and 1 the pot while having the healer as backup.

All bosses have little tricks and part of the fun is finding them.
The only 2 that are pretty much straight forward are the cannons and the necromancers.

DrArchon

Mark teams work against just about every boss I've found. In fact, the best boss killing class I've seen is the Grave Robber. Works fantastic in mark teams, can do heavy blight DPS for those bosses that it really works against (the Inchoate Flesh mostly), can attack all four positions from 2 and 3, gets crazy high ACC with throwing daggers so you don't have to worry about killing dodgy ads like the canon lighters, great camping skills too.

I beat the level two Hag and Siren last night, first with two Grave Robbers, second with two Abominations, who are also disgusting against certain bosses if you're good with not running a Vestal. Best thing about Abominations against the Siren is that sometimes she'll steal one of them and have them heal themselves instead of attacking.

Great ideas, guys. Thanks! I have shied away from using Mark skills because I fear the mark wearing off before I can pull of my bonus vs marked attacks, but with some actual concentrated effort in team composition, I'm sure I can make it work.

DrArchon

Great ideas, guys. Thanks! I have shied away from using Mark skills because I fear the mark wearing off before I can pull of my bonus vs marked attacks, but with some actual concentrated effort in team composition, I'm sure I can make it work.

Mark lasts for 3 turns or so, so you should have no problem getting off a couple of attacks before you need to re-up. You should only need 1 or 2 guys with a mark skill on them, and if you go with 2 make sure that they both don't have the same debuffs attached (i.e. both -PROT or -DODGE).

Thankfully Arbalests, Occultis, Bounty Hunters, and Houndmasters are outstanding classes no matter what, so even if you don't want to dedicate your gameplay to marking dudes you'll still do fine with any of them on a team.

Rhaknar

this second veteran quest I did felt more "normal". just got to get used to it I guess

somehow ive now played 22 hours. what the fuck.

edit: that graveyard is starting to fill up >_>

Szadek

I almost always had 1 main healer (Vestals or Occultis) and 1 support or off healer (doctor, Arbalests, Crusader, Jester, maybe rank 4 man at arms) 1 main dd and 1 tank or another dd.

It's possible to make a party without main healer, but if your are going down to do that, everyone should be able to heal themself.

Nothus

Had a great run yesterday taking on the drowned crew. Things were going smoothly as I made my way towards the boss room, got to the very last fight before I could set up camp and the damn collector showed up!
Thankfully I managed to get a stun with my vestal, some decent bleed and poison damage from my houndmaster and grave robber, and my tank of a leper managed to do some decent damage all before the collector took a turn. A few more poison darts and hound attacks and he was dead!
Was still in pretty good shape after the fight, even better shape after camping, then went and took down the drowned crew. Again the poison and bleed helped massively here.
After that I paid a quick visit to a secret room to get some loot.

Total result of that one mission - Drowned Crew dead, Collector dead and over 20k in gold taken home. Result.

Rhaknar

am I right in assuming that these Veteran quests are only for rank 3 and 4 dudes, a rank 5 dude will tell me to fuck off right?

just like the green quests were for ranks 0-2?

am I right in assuming that these Veteran quests are only for rank 3 and 4 dudes, a rank 5 dude will tell me to fuck off right?

just like the green quests were for ranks 0-2?

Yup, apprencitce = 0-2

Veteran= 3-4

Champion=5-6

You can send lower level guys on high lvl dungeons but not vice versa.

Rhaknar

...welp

lost a bunch of orange gear too.

Fuck >_>

edit: really should have fucked outta there where I lost my first guy midway shouldnt I? :(

_Legacy_

...welp

lost a bunch of orange gear too.

Fuck >_>

edit: really should have fucked outta there where I lost my first guy midway shouldnt I? :(

Probably yeah but sometimes the gamble pays off. Depends who dies first, if it's my healer, I'm out.

kionedrik

Anyone else gets the feeling that enemies seem to target your support characters (healer, marker, stunner, etc) more and more as you go up in levels while ignoring your tanky and DPS characters?
Vestals seem like goddamn magnets.

Anyone else gets the feeling that enemies seem to target your support characters (healer, marker, stunner, etc) more and more as you go up in levels while ignoring your tanky and DPS characters?
Vestals seem like goddamn magnets.

In my apprentice missions my vestal and occultist would almost always come out with the most stress and 2 of them were my first deaths(and my only so far, iirc)

Rhaknar

man that wipe sucked, I had no money left because I bought alot of provisions, so having to gear up and level up new guys with no money is a pain ;_;

losing a party of champions must be completely heartbreaking

Top Bottom