• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Wii U has 2GB of DDR3 RAM, [Up: RAM 43% slower than 360/PS3 RAM]

fallagin

I guess we all just underestimated how much the ps3 and 360 were able to be refined and reduce their costs to get them so low in price. The fact that they have been on the assembly line for so long has allowed them to become much cheaper. The Wii U is just now releasing and there seem to be alot of costs in terms of creating new assembly line technology as with any new console.

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
One dollar saved per unit is a fortune gained in the long run.

Save 100million, yet lose hundreds of millions, maybe even billions to licensing fees from 3rd party support that wains

At least with the Wii, it was Profit Day 1

Not with the WiiU, no clue before break even/profit timeline

Animator

Am I correct in assuming that nintendo pretty much fucked themselves over with this as far as good looking third party ports go when the next gen xbox and ps come out next year?

Svafnir

Well, I'm sure Nintendo's game development teams will be willing to spend the extra needed time, effort, and money to optimize what the machine offers, but 3rd party developers wont. Just like Wii this system is destined to have some polished looking 1st party games, but most 3rd party offerings will probably look rushed compared to the PS3 and 360 counterparts.

Makes me wonder how long Nintendo expects the systems lifespan to be. It will probably be only as long as 3rd parties are still making PS3 and 360 games which could be as long as 3 years from now. Unless the system has a respectable user base by then, I don't see 3rd parties throwing money at a watered down port of a PS4 or Nextbox game. 3rd party exclusives will probably be similar to the 3rd party exclusives we've seen on Wii. A few great games and a whole lot of shovelware.

I hope I'm wrong though, my WiiU is under the tree so I want to see it do well.

The Wii was way less powerful than PS3 and 360 and it lasted more than 3 years.

Well, I'm sure Nintendo's game development teams will be willing to spend the extra needed time, effort, and money to optimize what the machine offers, but 3rd party developers wont. Just like Wii this system is destined to have some polished looking 1st party games, but most 3rd party offerings will probably look rushed compared to the PS3 and 360 counterparts.

Makes me wonder how long Nintendo expects the systems lifespan to be. It will probably be only as long as 3rd parties are still making PS3 and 360 games which could be as long as 3 years from now. Unless the system has a respectable user base by then, I don't see 3rd parties throwing money at a watered down port of a PS4 or Nextbox game. 3rd party exclusives will probably be similar to the 3rd party exclusives we've seen on Wii. A few great games and a whole lot of shovelware.

I think this is e most likely scenario, unfortunately.
Yeah but i doubt this console will have the succes that the Wii had. Not even close would be my guess right now.

jerd

Am I correct in assuming that nintendo pretty much fucked themselves over with this as far as good looking third party ports go when the next gen xbox and ps come out next year?

That probably should have been your assumption all along. They won't compare well if they get them at all most likely.

GraveRobberX

Yeah on the back of Nintendo, @ profit, with different refreshes from accessories to keep that longevity going

Not this time with the WiiU

Drencrom

Umm, that is not how it works.

This is RAM to CPU/GPU bandwidth, data has to be loaded to the CPU and GPU many times a frame. This have nothing to do with loading data into RAM from the disc drive and being able to load more things into RAM does not make up for bandwidth.

Wow.

Why would they do this, sounds like a glaring bottleneck.

Wazzim

Banned
I won't act like I know all that much about console RAM but ddr3 doesn't sound that good for the gpu.

Oh well, at least it got some eDRAM.

NinjaBoiX

So it has four times the RAM, but it's half as fast? (that's my basic interpretation anyway, I know it's not quite as simple as that)

I keep getting all excited for this thing, then I hear another really disappointing stat. I was hoping this was going to be basically a PS360, but without the troublesome RAM bottleneck. Hmm, possibly not I guess.

Sorry, but I'm just not tech-savy. But can anyone give a little example how this slower RAM can effect games?

Seeing how Batman Arkham City and Darksiders 2 plays well, so from my understanding, current-gen games that are out right now will work well on the Wii U. But going forward, future PS4/720 games will be in trouble if they were down-ported, is that about right?

So we'll see a lot of Wii HD remakes and a bunch of current-gen GOTY/Ultimate editions?

What? Batman has serious frame rate issues

But how were the 3rd party offerings after the first couple of years? Devs realized they could make a quick buck on the Wii to pay for the development cost of their flagship games on the 360 and PS3. That may happen again once 360 and PS3 games are no longer being made.

Afrikan

I'm sure my post might come of as "DUH!!!" but I don't see it mentioned in the past few pages or much in WiiU threads.

Did Nintendo just want to spend as little as possible for it to be 1080p media player for the family that has games for the family? Nintendo games that they know and love.

I mean the Wii was a success even though the graphics weren't no where near its competition.

but it was a media device that tapped out at 480p....now with more people having HDTVs and broadband internet access. Did they want to just go about it as WiiHD?

their media app setup looks nice, as well as how you can interact with it.

I don't know, it just seems weird how some seem so surprised by why Nintendo went with certain decisions.

Animator

I found the gamepad + nintendoland to be a lot more fun with my family than the wiimote was.

That is nice but general public perception is nowhere near enthusiastic as it was for wii. Most people I talked to about the WiiU still seem to think it is a controller add on for the old Wii.

GraveRobberX

Wow.

Why would they do this, sounds like a glaring bottleneck.

I seriously think they built it for 1st party devs and the things they asked for

Showed 3rd parties how to make the WiiU purr, had sessions to show what can be done

Most publishers/devs just said fuck it, port it, why try to go the extra mile for shit already released
Just have it ready to ship on launch day, disaster commences

No one QA'ed Epic Mickey 2?... are you fucking kidding me, that shit made Skyrim for the PS3 look like it was running 120FPS

AzaK

Try as I might, I simply cannot fathom Nintendo's logic here. Not for pricing, not for future proofing, not for performance, not for anything. On paper it just seems bafflingly illogical and unnecessarily crippling, to the point where I instinctively assume I'm missing something critical because of how silly this is.

I just don't understand this hardware or what Nintendo expects *shrug*.

Yeah, I'm thinking something like this, but from what I know faster RAM wouldn't have been much more expensive, especially in bulk for manufacturing that Nintendo would purchase them. And, correct me if I'm wrong, RAM has actually been one of the better qualities of past Nintendo consoles.

This is just really slow, super cheap RAM seemingly not suited for the kind of console they're making. Slow PC RAM dumped in a console box, not good for handling textures and assets, and limited in comparison to the Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, even when considering the quantity.

I don't know. My technical knowledge has it's limitations, so like I said I feel like I'm missing something. But everything about this, more than anything, screams aimless and dumb to me. And I guess that's just how it's going to be.

It just has to be for the bucks, over a console cycle, ending up with tonnes more profit. I'm not a tech either, but why aim so, so low. 1/2 the BW of the current competition?!?! They must have been able to match it for next to nothing right?!

Eusis

Well, it still gives you more space to work with.

If you design your technology such that you are mostly bulk loading your games (like say a Zelda dungeon or platformer level) this could still work fine.

So, if you had a very particular use case for how you tended to make your games, you might feel this is a fine solution even if it doesn't work that great for everyone.
The Zelda part actually makes this more frustrating to me, as one of the things I've been wanting out of Zelda was to be more seamless like WW's overworld or Dark Souls (yeah yeah using that as an example is overdone, but it's an area more directly relevant), and judging by the texture loading in Batman and perhaps the sudden slowdowns in Epic Mickey 2 (though that at least HAS to be largely bad porting) it's definitely not going to work for that, and in general it doesn't seem to hurt to have faster RAM. I think it'd be easier to go "well ok" if they were nuts and had 4 or 8 GB of RAM, as the sheer bulk would easily make up for how slow it was, but at only four times the total of the 360 and PS3 and EFFECTIVELY double for games... I really do wonder if they shot themselves in the foot for the most miserly of reasons, unless as EatChildren noted there's something being missed here.

SmokyDave

What is Nintendo thinking nowadays?
The Wii was woefully underpowered and printed money. The 3DS is woefully underpowered and stomped the Vita into a hole.

My worry is that if the Wii-U 'wins' next time around, Sony & MS will give up on the power race too. Why bother making killer hardware if nobody cares?

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
I hope you werent planning on watching a Blu-Ray....

Nintendo are clearly aiming for a gaming console more then a half baked media system like the 360. And I honestly applaud them for going that route.

I feel that some people here just want this system to BOMB because they dont want to invest in a new system.

Lawl
The current crop of consoles should have been taken out back and shot years ago.

I've been really down on Nintendo for a long time now, but if they'd been first with truly next-gen hardware, then I would have camped out for it.

The Wii was woefully underpowered and printed money. The 3DS is woefully underpowered and stomped the Vita into a hole.

My worry is that if the Wii-U 'wins' next time around, Sony & MS will give up on the power race too. Why bother making killer hardware if nobody cares?
Every system has its audience.

GraveRobberX

But not every audience can sustain a system.

Somehow this gen before the WiiU did pretty well, it's still doing pretty well

Not rip roaring it like the old days in the NPD, at least it still simmers with a boil here and there

Eusis

512mb up to 2gb is x4 though?

Or does it not have 2gb of RAM?
It saves a full half of that for the OS. Not that the 360 and PS3 didn't set some aside for the OS, but they kept the footprints VERY small. If Nintendo had a similarly small footprint I don't think this would matter as much, I imagine a lot of developers could make up for it just by loading MUCH more "just in case".

Though I wouldn't be surprised if future updates optimized the OS and shrank the footprint, allowing more of the ram to be used by games.

It's possible that Nintendo did some prototyping, and discovered that when the eDRAM was utilized properly bandwidth to the larger RAM pool wasn't a bottleneck so they could go with something lower bandwidth.

It's also possible they made this decision for another reason and it will look bad in retrospect. We'll have to wait and see.

If that's the case then I Nintendo better let 3rd parties in on the optimization method.

Partition

Banned

3rd party support is already going to be much better than the Wii's by default. Even when Sony and M$ have new consoles, dev costs will still double, and the Wii U will be the most feasible option for developers. Plus the Wii U has traditional controls (for the most part) which is what held the Wii back before

kuroshiki

3rd party support is already going to be much better than the Wii's by default. Even when Sony and M$ have new consoles, dev costs will still double, and the Wii U will be the most feasible option for developers. Plus the Wii U has traditional controls (for the most part) which is what held the Wii back before

Not true at all.

Also, the more dev costs the more it seems feasible to make multi-platform. When PS4 and X720 hits, and developer make multiplatform for that one, wiiU users will have to deal with inferior port or... zero port.

Eusis

It would be kind of interesting if the Wii U gained enough of a foothold that combined with rising costs it couldn't be ignored as a platform... and as a consequence we see the same situation with current HD consoles and gaming PCs: any good port from consoles to PCs easily hits 1080p/60 FPS, and the same or similar (MUCH nicer effects) happens frequently with the next Xbox/PS.

SmokyDave

Is everybody going to stop gaming, or what? No I've got it: you think they'll go iOS.
Or they'll play on a (relatively) low powered Sony or MS console. I didn't say they'd drop out, I said they'd stop the traditional power chase. Why build bleeding edge hardware at a high cost when skimping on specs incurs no penalty?

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
It saves a full half of that for the OS. Not that the 360 and PS3 didn't set some aside for the OS, but they kept the footprints VERY small.

It's always been 32MB on 360. PS3's is down to what, 50MB? Shit's crazy.
lol1giglol

Or they'll play on a (relatively) low powered Sony or MS console.

Yeah, they're cheap and have huge libraries of games. Most of those games have been bargain-binned, too.

GraveRobberX

If that's the case then I Nintendo better let 3rd parties in on the optimization method.

Well the 360 is lead most of the time or sometimes the PS3 is

Devs have to go from 360 to archaic PS3 structure, do they want too? Maybe (if there's money to be had)

Now add WiiU into the mix, do you really think devs will go out of their to fully optimize a 360 version, then do a PS3 version, then a WiiU version to have full parity
Most just ship it broken or playable, patches/updates do the rest of the legwork

How does the WiiU handle updates/patches?
I mean BLOPS II for my PS3 gave me a secondary install of a Texture Pack which was roughly 1.8GB

Eusis

It's always been 32MB on 360. PS3's is down to what, 50MB? Shit's crazy.
lol1giglol
The best explaination I can think of is that they're keeping EVERYTHING open while you play games, so you could theoretically brows the shop or web lag-free on the touch screen while using the regular controls to play the game. But even then I question if it's really worth it, game performance DOES come first.

On the flipside: people watch Netflix on the TV while you play a game on the pad, pausing to address movie/episode changes or pauses.

QaaQer

Not quite. No analog triggers. As for 3rd party support, well I'll wait for the announcments.

No, it is pretty obvious unfortuneately that Nintendo went cheap, pathologically cheap. No optical out, no ethernet, no hdd, cheapest RAM on the market, cheap screen, cheap battery, cheap flash,...everything about this console is cheap and dirty. And that isn't even looking at the half baked OS.

This is a really poor console for 2012. And yes, you can still have fun with it and play mario, but don't delude yourself into thinking 3rd party support is going to be any better than wii. In fact, it will most likely be worse because no way this sells like the wii.

Durante

With this additional piece of information I really wonder how fast/if the CPU can access eDRAM. It could also explain some of the lower (than expected) resolution / no AA decisions -- developers need to do manual caching in the eDRAM to work around the main memory bandwidth bottleneck, and so have less space left in the eDRAM for the FB.

~17Gbps was the maximum it could have been, not what was expected. Especially since they are apparently focused on latency and not bandwidth.

Other people know more about RAM than me, but as far as I know latency/timings will be lower at lower RAM speeds.
Not really. Latency in cycles will be lower of course (at lower frequencies), absolute latency in time (which is the more relevant metric) should be similar.

Try as I might, I simply cannot fathom Nintendo's logic here. Not for pricing, not for future proofing, not for performance, not for anything. On paper it just seems bafflingly illogical and unnecessarily crippling, to the point where I instinctively assume I'm missing something critical because of how silly this is.

I just don't understand this hardware or what Nintendo expects *shrug*.
After one or two experiences like that, I've come to understand that Nintendo build hardware by estimating the very least they think they need, for their own titles. And nothing more.

Top Bottom