• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[VITA] Call of Duty Black Ops: Declassified first details

This is one of those cases where I would gladly take a full on port over a portable-ized version of the game. I was considering getting this over the console versions before but now I'm not so sure.

Does this need to be spelled out? I want cross platform play with the PS3 similar to Wipeout.

I for one don't wan't to play with ps3 people and be murdered every 3 seconds. As good as the vita controls are, they cannot compare to DS3 players.

As unlikely as it is that this will have cross platform play, i hope i can opt out of playing console players. I like to have a chance of having fun...

Sony and Activision would have absolutely murdered if they had announced 3 things about this game:

1) It was releasing 2 weeks before BLOPS2 on consoles.
2) Character experience, weapon load-outs would carry over
3) $20 off Retail console BLOPS2

This is great news though. Sounds like they are focusing mostly on MP which is the only reason to play any of these games anyway.

Jb

If you own a Vita, try the demo for Unit 13. It's pretty fun to have an opt-in opt-out scenario where you're not tied down to a campaign all the time.

I mean we obviously know nothing about what those missions will be, but if it's anything like the spec-ops mode in MW2&3, there's just not a lot to them.
Fingers crossed, as I think the Vita could be fantastic for the CoD MP.

What do they mean by Special Ops Story mode? I thought Spec Ops were just side missions?

Edit: if the game is just side missions related to the BO1 and BO2 storyline, I'm okay with that

Just means the missions will be stand alone and quick to play instead of the ongoing campaign style of previous CoD's. Sounds smart for a portable since it lets you play a quick game and pause on the go.

Takao

Banned
But who the hell is developing it?

And no one should expect cross-platform play. That just sounds like something Activision doesn't want to go into with the chance that it could delay or hinder things for their yearly console releases.

nSpace said they have no FPS in development this year and they're usually the handheld CoD team.

KalBalboa

Banned
I'm actually most excited for this to see how it maximizes the Vita's hardware this early on in its life.

I'm not expecting anything ground-breaking, but considering the franchise and known quantity Call of Duty is, I think it's safe to say we'll see something strong (technically speaking) for the Vita.

Kerub

Banned
Resistance gave me a taste for portable FPS multiplayer so I'm in on this.

But it's pretty strange how quiet Sony is about this game. Screenshots please.

Resistance gave me a taste for portable FPS multiplayer so I'm in on this.

But it's pretty strange how quiet Sony is about this game. Screenshots please.

Yeah I don't get it either. Sony knows COD is there best seller on PS3 (sadly). Can't believe they aren't marketing this unless there is some sort of NDA with Activision or it's utter crap...

Yeah I don't get it either. Sony knows COD is there best seller on PS3 (sadly). Can't believe they aren't marketing this unless there is some sort of NDA with Activision or it's utter crap...
Somewhat related, whatever happened to the retail listings of Medal of Honor on Vita? Were they bogus? If not, why keep quiet?

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Looks like side missions with a loosely connected plot, so Call of duty: unit 13.

Basically. If this was anything other than a rapidly cobbled together money-hat job we would have seen something at E3. Besides the logo.

RedSwirl

Nah I think this is the best way to go. If I owned a Vita I probably wouldn't buy a straight-up port - I wouldn't for any Vita game, but I would be more likely to buy a different COD game made more suitable to portables as long as it retains the same qualities. It'll be nice though if you could feed XP, cash, or some other rewards between Declassified and BLOPS2.

Massa

You'd think Sony and Activision would be showing this game off like crazy to try and generate hype.

Activision only promotes the Xbox 360 version of CoD. I remember with one of the Wii versions we didn't even have screenshots or previews of the game until people actually got their hands on it.

Derrick01

Banned

I thought I was the last person to play COD for the campaign.

Nah I'm not interested in a portable COD for multiplayer so I don't know why they couldn't make a single player. It's not like they're 10 hours long, you could likely finish the damn thing in a single week of lunch breaks at work.

Nah I'm not interested in a portable COD for multiplayer so I don't know why they couldn't make a single player. It's not like they're 10 hours long, you could likely finish the damn thing in a single week of lunch breaks at work.

They say it has single player campaign. They are just presenting it differently with. Traditional COD campaign is not well suited to a portable system, it was a common complaint with PSP games that took big franchise like campaigns and just slapped em on the system. The Spec Ops approach is a great idea for a portable title.

Activision only promotes the Xbox 360 version of CoD. I remember with one of the Wii versions we didn't even have screenshots or previews of the game until people actually got their hands on it.

That's different. They showed off the 360 version because it perforemed the best and looked better. The wii version was the red-deaded step-child. This Vita game is it's own game, so should be shown up front.

Derrick01

Banned
They say it has single player campaign. They are just presenting it differently with. Traditional COD campaign is not well suited to a portable system, it was a common complaint with PSP games that took big franchise like campaigns and just slapped em on the system. The Spec Ops approach is a great idea for a portable title.

Spec ops is not a campaign. It's a series of extremely short arcade style throwaway missions. How is a normal style campaign not suited for mobile? It's 4-5 hours long!

KalBalboa

Banned
Spec ops is not a campaign. It's a series of extremely short arcade style throwaway missions. How is a normal style campaign not suited for mobile? It's 4-5 hours long!

You'd beat it in a week and be done with it.

Bite-sized missions with individual accolades, high scores, and potentially cooperative play make more sense. More replay value.

Derrick01

Banned
You'd beat it in a week and be done with it.

Bite-sized missions with individual accolades, high scores, and potentially cooperative play make more sense. More replay value.

Yeah but with what you said I won't play it at all now. High scores is sooo 1992.

There is a story that connects the missions. They are bite sized and quick to play for people on the go, for the portable format. Even with short campaigns of the big brother versions, many of the segments of COD just were very long. No matter how they present the story, they would have to alter it to be for portable. You wouldn't have something like the long New York Intro in MW3 on a portable title, it would have to be changed into something more friendly to stop and go.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
After the garbage MW3 campaign I think I'm done with COD campaigns completely this gen. Game sounds nice.

Gimme campaign and Spec Ops. I don't need no zombie mode muddying up a military shooter. I know where L4D and Killing Floor if I need zombies.

Takao

Banned
Yeah but with what you said I won't play it at all now. High scores is sooo 1992.

You weren't going to play it anyways because you don't own a Vita, and said this last week:

I'd rather have other non vita related features as someone who's extremely hesitant about buying a system with such a bleak looking future but as long as they don't raise the price of PS+ for everyone then I don't care. I just don't want to pay more because of something I don't want.

Why do you constantly post in Vita threads if you don't own one and don't plan on?

Top Bottom