• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video Game Characters you thought would make it big... but didn't

jennetics

Sparkster (Rocket Knight Adventures)
latest

Ristar (Ristar)
latest

Both were awesome platformers with great music, likeable characters, and wonderful level design. Loved everything about the two. I know Rocket Knight Adventures got kind of a sequel for PS3/360, but it kinda sucked compared to the Genesis game.

Onivulk

Banned
Kameo really deserved much better. It could have turned into a really useful franchise for Microsoft in my opinion.

Came in here to say this and to be honest, I fucking love Kameo. Imo it was a fantastic game and had really great ideas. So sad that we'll never see a sequel to this.

StarPhlox

latest

Both were awesome platformers with great music, likeable characters, and wonderful level design. Loved everything about the two. I know Rocket Knight Adventures got kind of a sequel for PS3/360, but it kinda sucked compared to the Genesis game.

I'm really sorry about Sparkster never catching on and I'm OK with the fact that Blinx The Timesweeper didn't.

Vibranium

Banned
hkship2012-09-1000-57gukcz.png

Wei Shen from Sleeping Dogs. The guy deserved a sequel; he was a much better character than any of the leads from Rockstar's Gen 7 and Gen 8 GTA games. It's a shame that the character will never see the light of day again.

It's a damn shame United Front closed, I wish they had gone indie like IO with the Sleeping Dogs IP, and found a publisher.

Giga Man

Viewtiful Joe. It seemed like it was getting there with two main games, a DS spin-off, and Smash-like fighter, and an anime series with a few toys here and there, but it never got a third game to pick up off the cliffhanger of the second. The only time we see Viewtiful Joe nowadays is through cross-overs.

Garlador

Wait, what? Vectorman felt nothing like Metroid. If anything it felt like Sega's Earthworm Jim.

I was 8. Two games staring spacemen running around space stations and underground lairs full of ugly monsters blasting off energy shots while absorbing new powers and abilities to traverse the game...

Of course they're night and day in everything else, but I never owned a SNES so, for me, I thought it was Sega's answer to Metroid.

Platy

Considering how Blinx was a game only possible with HD storage I would have imagined it would be easier to make more games with him...

latest

Saw a youtube video about people doing a quiz for young gamers if they knew the name of 90's game characters.

More people recognized Gex than Sparkster. That was sad =(

f283e05bc0255f4f55d62cae2fe9fdc9.jpg

billy_coen_re0_costume_png_by_isobel_theroux-d7kcwwh.png

Where the hell is Billy Fucking Coen

Bring him back for like Revelations 3 Capmoc. You brought Rebecca back for some shitty movie just a little bit more fanservice is all I ask

Vibranium

Banned
f283e05bc0255f4f55d62cae2fe9fdc9.jpg

billy_coen_re0_costume_png_by_isobel_theroux-d7kcwwh.png

Where the hell is Billy Fucking Coen

Bring him back for like Revelations 3 Capmoc. You brought Rebecca back for some shitty movie just a little bit more fanservice is all I ask

I want Billy back badly too. Like he was a major playable character in a mainline RE game, so fans would enjoy him showing up. Capcom could put him in the BSAA or something, he's ex-military.

Opa-Pa

Viewtiful Joe :( I legit thought he was gonna be one of Capcom's most important characters. Man, I loce VJ1 and 2 so much, RIP.

Also I remember thinking Aero the Acrobat was here to stay lol, I'm not sure why since I didn't even like the games.

Holy shit thank you for posting this pic. That's the game I was going to buy as a kid but my brother convinced me to buy another game I had no interest on which was Alien 3, that game scared me. I was 7 years old and easy to convinced, always wondered what the name for this goofy title was, didn't remember anything except the boxart (that's how you picked games in the ol' days).

Epic Mickey.

With Spector's pedigree, I really thought the series would reestablish Mickey as a great video game character...

...and then I played it. So much potential. ;_;

Palmer_v1

Kameo, Oni(Konoko), Raziel, The mark of Kri. Goddamn you guys are crushing my spirits here. All of these deserve more and better.

petran79

Banned
That game rivalled Bubble Bobble in popularity in early 90s. Had a lot of potential. Arcade sequels werent very popular though.

6124Ihw8cCL.jpg

A recent one i can think of is Tembo the Bad Ass Elephant
tembo-the-badass-elephant-two-column-01-ps4-eu-22apr15

Bug!
Bug_Coverart.png

Clockwork Knight (despite Saturns failure this character seemed like a new sega staple)
tumblr_np60xxzODD1tu022ro2_1280.png

Dash Rendar (as a game character he is very seldom present)
Dash-Rendar-N64.png

PN03
PN03_935.jpg

Loona

Captain Commando - I mean, his name is based off the company's, and they've barely used him (at this point he's probably in more crossovers by other companies - namely SNK's Card Fighters and Namco's Namco X Capcom and Project X Zone 2):

Namco's Valkyrie - could use more of a western presence outside the Project X Zone games -and you know, they could take the translation of her own game that made it to a Namco Collection pack several years ago and port that if they're not giving her a new game of her own anytime soon:

NxCValkyrie.jpg

Also, anyone from Final Fantasy XI - it's baffling that with so many defined characters in the game, SE didn't bother to use a single one to be the "face" of the game until a decade after release with Dissdia - it's pretty ridiculous how a crossover like Itadaki Street Special included two defined character from XII in it, but represented XI with a generic playable character race...

MrBadger

image.adaptive.full.medium..jpg

When I first saw this trailer (and the reaction to the game's creator) I was convinced that this game was gonna get a cult following and end up as one of those games that gets brought up a lot, if only to praise its art style. And maybe people do talk about, but I've never once seen it get mentioned after it released.

Synth

What kind of ignorant ass post is this. Crash was Sony's mascot for PS1, their best selling console.

That's not really ignorant though. Crash being Sony's mascot was reason to believe he'd be a much bigger deal today than he's turned out to be. There's different levels of "making it big", and for a mascot like Crash, with that sort of debut, you'd have probably expected him to be equivalent to a character like Sonic (in his better days) by now.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
People posting characters like Crash and Tomb Raider have to be joke posts.

Yeah, especially Tomb Raider.

Tomb Raider II (1997)
and Tomb Raider (2013) are well over 8 million a piece, despite releasing the better part of two decades apart.

There's been two Hollywood films and another in production.

Yes, there was a massive sales dip in the 2000's (which reminds me that I really need to try those early Crystal Dynamics Tomb Raider games) but she's been huge.

Slide 15

Lara Croft is one of gaming's biggest icons and someone many non-gamers have heard of.

SgtCobra

People mentioning crash do have a point though, he was destined to become Sony's Mario..
He kinda was, in the PSX era. The Crash franchise contains lots of games across several generations which have sold in the millions, that's pretty big if you ask me. Because a character couldn't keep the momentum doesn't mean that it never was "big".

Top Bottom