• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Vs. Capcom: Infinite Characters and Stages Roster |DT2| oh dear...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
Not even Combofiend himself believes what he is saying. He himself is totally a "Johnny" player, he plays what he think looks cool or feels good rather than what's necessarily toppity top tier function wise.

a Johnny player?

you suck dahbomb

wait...is that a MK reference or a GG reference? if its a GG reference you dont suck.

kirblar

a Johnny player?

you suck dahbomb

wait...is that a MK reference or a GG reference? if its a GG reference you dont suck.
He's referencing the psychographics I posted, lol.

Tho "feel" would go into a Timmy/Spike thing tho- Johnny is about being a lab monster or a peacock waving its feathers. (No one was picking Spencer for style points lol)

Dahbomb

a Johnny player?

you suck dahbomb

You should read those articles Kirblar posted.

I was specifically talking about player archetypes - Spike, Johnny and Timmy.

Combofiend's response is that of a Spike player (about functions) but in reality he is actually a Johnny type of player.

Johnny is about being a lab monster or a peacock waving its feathers. (No one was picking Spencer for style points lol)
That's exactly why Combofiend picked Spencer. He thought Spencer was "sick", same for Taskmaster and She Hulk. And he could do stylish stuff with them. He also thought Nova was hella stylish and played him. The only character he used as a function was Dr Strange.

Even FChamp and Justin Wong have a bit of Johnny/Timmy inside them. FChamp would never play a Capcom character and rarely plays non villainous characters.

Jawmuncher

Watched Max's video. Competely agree with him (Outside RE7, lol). I don't want this game to be a failure either. I want a reason to be excited that isn't just "well the gameplay is good". Like he said Marvel to me is a lot more than that. It's about crazy stuff on screen and having a fun time with friends and characters I like. Thus far they haven't nailed any of that for me and I'm pretty lax on capcom a lot of times. I was the most hyped for this game when we knew nothing about it, but the more info that has come out has done nothing but lower my interest in it. At a point where not even Regina being added would redeem the entire game.

I hope Capcom can turn it around. I want to be excited for the game and given a reason to buy it day one. But they've yet to give me one yet.

Spade

Yea Max hit the nail on the head with that video. Still getting the game regardless and like others I hope Capcom gets their shit together.

RE7 is a 7/10 in my book.
That's as far as I'll go. I can derail a thread hard with RE talk if left unchecked.

lol Its a solid 8.5-9 in my book. I find myself going back to play it a lot.

But yeah, to keep it Marvel related... The video kinda didnt help me. Kinda bummed me out. Which is good to be honest. Max didnt sugar coat anything. I almost felt the impact immediately when he said "I'm starting to feel that this game isnt for me". Like, that shit hurt me as well lol.

If that imgur leak is true, it's my favorite roster tbqh. I understand I'm in the minority however.
It isn't my favorite roster, but I remember being underwhelmed by vanilla MvC3 roster. Only 1 Spiderman character, no Vergil, Gene, Gambit, Venom, Nero, Rogue, Strider, no SF character i like just the usual Chun, ryu, and akuma + viper(ugh). I barely experimented with teams in MvC3. UmvC 3 brought Strider and Vergil in the fray, but still wasn't that satisfied with it... Also people were unsatisfied with 0 new incoming female characters for UmvC 3. .

Jawmuncher

It isn't my favorite roster, but I remember being underwhelmed by vanilla MvC3 roster. Only 1 Spiderman character, no Vergil, Gene, Gambit, Venom, Nero, Rogue, Strider, no SF character i like just the usual Chun, ryu, and akuma + viper(ugh). I barely experimented with teams in MvC3. UmvC 3 brought Strider and Vergil in the fray, but still wasn't that satisfied with it... Also people were unsatisfied with 0 new incoming female characters for UmvC 3. .

This is the opposite for me. MVC3 was fucking Killer roster wise for me. Especially with all the RE characters and the additional in UMVC3. Then it had a decent amount of new series reps and not so safe picks like Modok. I don't need to like all the characters on a personal level. But MVCI at the moment is snoozeville. Jedah and MonHun will help, but it's not enough imo.

But no female for UMVC3 was whack as hell though. Still wanna know how firebrand beat out Nina.

LOL I gotta admit, i was trying to bait him to see how he overall felt about the game. haha!

Since I can sneak this into another post.
I liked the game. I don't love it though. It has the base for a good game but I feel like there was a lot of bumps with 7. First I didn't need the whole "RE needs to be horror and my faith bought back", re never died to me, so I don't give brownie points for the change. Besides that my biggest complaints come a lot from the story and motivation of characters. RE isn't exactly high class art, but I felt RE7 was lacking a lot. The best part of the game was finding the 3 dog heads. That was perfect classic RE. But it's over so quick and it never gets back to that height the rest of the game. The rest of the talk would be very spoiler related so that should cover the just of it though.

While I do prefer action to classic RE. I don't hate that style. I've played all the games after all. Just I'm far more picky and critical of that style as well. Since it won't have the gameplay mechanics to carry itself in Weaker aspects.

Blueblur1

I agree on all points. But hell I've been harsher than he is in that video. Also, I see that Max has thoughts regarding Story Mode that are similar to my own. I think it looks awful and it's going to get torn to pieces in game reviews.

I feel what he's saying, and he's makes a good point about how the legacy isn't being preserved with the roster decisions but man, personally, after playing and watching it, I just don't give a fuck anymore. Maybe it's the time heals all wounds kinda thing, or maybe I've just accepted it. But I'm in it for the gameplay. Not everyone will be, and that's fine, but the gems system altering characters has my mouth watering.

Marvel is being dumb, Capcom is being dumb (c'mon gimme some better characters fam), but at the end of the day, I can take some disappointment as long as the game is fun.

Personally, if a game is ugly and missing some of my favorite stuff - in this case it's characters - it's impossible for me to be very excited for it. After experiencing what other companies have done to their best franchises, such as how Microsoft mishandled Halo after Bungie went independent, and what happened with SFV my excitement for MvCI is non-existent. I went from insanely hyped to ridiculously disappointed. My hype has been replaced by dread and an unrealistic hope for improvements. In an ideal world the visuals would be overhauled into something more palatable and impressive, and X-Men characters and other classic MvC characters would get announced as part of the launch roster.

But there's zero chance of that happening. What we're gonna get is a horrendous looking game with a boring roster and slow and plodding DLC support. SFV is already a bummer. The last thing I wanted was for MvCI to be one too.

Interesting that Iron Fist is the only Marvel side Ultimate newcomer that isn't returning/rumored (that we know of)....unless Marvel is planning something big for the Defenders as a team DLC, it seems like an odd cut.

Its even more weird how they used MVC3 to promote Iron Fist's Netflix series....

Lulubop

Interesting that Iron Fist is the only Marvel side Ultimate newcomer that isn't returning/rumored (that we know of)....unless Marvel is planning something big for the Defenders as a team DLC, it seems like an odd cut.

Its even more weird how they used MVC3 to promote Iron Fist's Netflix series....

That'd be a cool pack, he could skip launch

Neonep

Defenders comes out on Netflix in August.

Jawmuncher

While it's a HELL of a stretch. Some sort of Free DLC would probably help entice people. "Oh these two fab favorites won't make it at launch, but we'll be adding them free when they are!". Two big newcomers could potentially shift a lot of people. Or hell even just two big deal veterans.

Like I said though, I hella doubt that would happen though. The most would maybe be a trial period on new characters like SFV got.

Listening to your video right now, Max.

You're really on the $$ here.

I feel the same disappointment about the direction this game is going on.

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
Listening to your video right now, Max.

You're really on the $$ here.

I feel the same disappointment about the direction this game is going on.

Many of my direct issues with the roster vanished when I played that E3 demo with Strider/X. But now that I'm back at home dissecting interviews and looking for info, it begins to hit pretty hard.

This is probably the first Capcom fighting game ever that the larger hardcore fanbase would agree that the game needs a delay.

JayEH

I know Capcom feels the backlash, but do you think Marvel/Disney is aware of it?

I think they are but I'm not sure they care yet. I've seen some major Marvel comic fans like what they've seen of the game so far and the trailers don't seem to be getting a lot of dislikes on the Marvel channel. the hate is definitely crossed from FGC to hardcore gamers but I don't know about the more casual fans yet. If Marvel feels like there is too much negativity surrounding the game I imagine they'll pressure Capcom to delay it.

Many of my direct issues with the roster vanished when I played that E3 demo with Strider/X. But now that I'm back at home dissecting interviews and looking for info, it begins to hit pretty hard.

This is probably the first Capcom fighting game ever that the larger hardcore fanbase would agree that the game needs a delay.

I feel the same exact way. The gameplay looks great, but the presentation betrays it so badly. First impressions really matter and man, they dropped the ball on this. The last month has really hurt the momentum of the game. The communication regarding this game has been terrible compared to MVC3. Capcom has had no respectable marketing for the game whatsoever.

I really hope MVCI surprises us and completely throws us off in the next few months. This game can be so great and seeing the abysmal decisions being made regarding this game makes me feel so down.

agree 100%

Do you personally think it should be delayed? Idk how to feel about that. On one hand, I definitely think it needs it. Which is funny, I dont think I've ever said a game NEEDS to be delayed until now. Like many others, I dont wanna see this game fail. To be quite honest, this is one of the only fighting game series I play, and im a huge fighting gamer. The only other i dabble in, is guilty gear, and never really competitively. (Which is interesting seeing as we now have the DBZ game coming out)

Lulubop

It's not going to be delayed.

Like I said, I love the rumored roster. Well aside from the dlc bullshit. I'll wait till SDCC to so how they've taken the graphical criticism. I guess I have some mixed feelings too.

Dahbomb

This game ABSOLUTELY should be delayed and the 6 DLC characters to be rolled into the main game... just as a show of good will.

1-2 extra layers of polish, a few more characters, feature complete and releasing right in the thick of tournament season is exactly what can do the game good right now. That way the good will can carry into EVO as well.

Then they can start teasing X Men characters by the time we get into early 2018 to keep the momentum. Otherwise, by the time we start hearing about X Men characters it's going to be too late.

Yeah, it definitely won't be delayed.

If I knew a delay would ensure the game would receive a graphical touch up and more worthwhile characters, I'd be all for it. I'm more concerned for its longevity and success than playing the game in a few months. And I say that as someone who really wants to play MVCI. Capcom's rep (at least when it comes to their fighting games) is a huge joke nowadays. They need to do something.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
The silliest thing about the "function" gaffe is that this is literally the worst fighting game to use that argument on. The entire draw of the series is that it's a crossover of existing and beloved franchises in the first place!

And I'm even one of those players who picks characters based more on gameplay than anything else. My Marvel 3 team consists of my second-least-favorite character from the Darkstalkers series plus two Marvel characters that I had never heard of before I played MvC3. The game I played before MvC3 was TvC, and the fact that I didn't know jack shit about the Tatsunoko characters didn't have any bearing one way or the other in my enjoyment of that game.

But if you're going to try and convince me to pick something up because of its familiar "functionality," then I'd pick DBFZ over MVCI in the first place. :p

Village

While I agree with you on some levels with the roster. Others, I can't as a guy who reads comic books like for example you bring up gambit. On what earth would I put gambit in any game over a character that's actually popular and being pushed right now. While there is certainly roster issues, the capcom side is ass, there are missing key x men, and dear god I want my boy Victah Vaugn , there more extreme choices, that in an age where marvel chaarcters are more popular than they have ever been ever, there isn't any reason for like psyloche , or omega red to be in a game. When you can throw in new dudes people like, or can like.

He was in MVC1 as an assist but I'm glad he finally became playable character.
Oh yeah, the assists were a good way to insert characters that weren't playable (would be cool if you could actually choose which one you want to use lol). Since Infinite returned to 2 vs 2 it would be cool if they have those kind of assists back but it's not going to happen.

Seyavesh

i just remembered that one thing where gcyoshi(?) asked combofiend on the radio silence and relayed that combo was saying that they wanted to be very careful about their presentation of the game and that was the only news we had about the game from "capcom" for like 4 months

good times

anyways heres a dumb thing
Ru8ZgpS.gif

vg260

Absolutely. Capcom fighters are my most anticipated games typically, but it needs it.

Back in the Saturn days, I was dying for the home port of MSH, but boy I would have traded a longer wait for it to be released with the bigger RAM cart that XvSF came with.

It absolutely needs to be delayed. The numbers for it will be abysmal unless they fix some of the issues that are plaguing it and get some good will from the fans.

I wish we could get some honest and transparent answers from Capcom and Marvel. We really need more investigative game journalists... Maybe we could all tweet Ono or Combofiend?

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast

Honestly I believe most of us felt that way when the game was first announced. When they dropped the 2017 release date a number of people were like "that soon?" lol

This game needs a serious delay. Polish it up, add the currently planned DLC characters into the main roster, and for heaven's sake go back to the drawing board for the other possible DLC characters because there needs to be huge addition of female characters.

Seyavesh

That beam effect looks nice, what base did you use it from?
galactus's super beams. i think it's actually too big by a bit but i can't seem to get his regular ass finger beam to show up (or maybe it's the same size? idk)

Looks like Iron Man's!
big bang laser in mvc1 actually uses iron man's beam but recolored to have a yellow effect in it as well.

honestly, i've never really liked chun but i like shadow lady very specifically bc she had that beam super, haha

LeMaximilian

Alligator F*ck House
This game ABSOLUTELY should be delayed and the 6 DLC characters to be rolled into the main game... just as a show of good will.

1-2 extra layers of polish, a few more characters, feature complete and releasing right in the thick of tournament season is exactly what can do the game good right now. That way the good will can carry into EVO as well.

This is the best case scenario IMO.

Neonep

The only reason this game isn't coming when Capcom fighting games traditionally come out is because MHW has taken that spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom