• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Female only gaming event cancelled following online harassment

SomTervo

Captura_1039406508_8314656_660x289.jpg

Sticking my dick to my thigh with duct tape so I can enter the Gaming Ladies event.

Comentarios-evento_1039406404_8310868_660x359.jpg

You can hear them coming with their tinted hair, black shirts and 85kg of weight.

Cooking Mama and Baby simulator tournaments.

msl6h99.gif

ZeoVGM

Banned
I think it's kinda stupid to organise these "women only" events, just as I would find it equally dumb to organise a "men only" event.

Except what happened here is proof that they are not "stupid." And no, it would not be anything remotely similar to a "men only" event.

Women are harassed and treated like dirt in this industry. Because they are women. Men are not.

Izuna

Banned
I think it's kinda stupid to organise these "women only" events, just as I would find it equally dumb to organise a "men only" event. However, I am perfectly capable of not liking something while also letting it continue because the whole world doesn't revolve around me.

I wish this trend of "I don't like something, therefore it mustn't exist" would finally blow over.

If you don't think it shouldn't exist, there's nothing wrong with it. So why don't you want them to exist?

Wait I'm so confused.

Kebiinu

Banned
I think it's kinda stupid to organise these "women only" events, just as I would find it equally dumb to organise a "men only" event. However, I am perfectly capable of not liking something while also letting it continue because the whole world doesn't revolve around me.

I wish this trend of "I don't like something, therefore it mustn't exist" would finally blow over.

Shit like this is exactly why women only events need to exist, it's been a "Men only" world for a very long time.

Seeing "Gamers" typed in quotes when referring to girls who game is stupid in any language. We're never leaving that "Ur not a real gamer unless..." thing are we?

Title says "Trolling crazy "gamer" feminazis".

The post says "Hey guys, I'm creating the thread to plan out the trolling we're gonna do at the women-only event they wanna do at Barcelona under the excuse that they wanna feel safe and protected. The idea is to dress up as chicks and claim we're tr*nnies and yell death to men. Once we're inside we display our rage. We need a plan, event info, maybe costumes and a telegram group. EDIT: We'll need makeup, women's clothes and a lot of balls." Something like that.

Quoting for the new page, I hope that's okay.

SomTervo

I think it's kinda stupid to organise these "women only" events, just as I would find it equally dumb to organise a "men only" event.

Obligatory "gaming has been a male-only event for years" response.

These women felt like they needed to create a space where they could come together and get involved in the culture. The fact that they felt the need to do this justifies it entirely. It doesn't matter what you feel about it. (I'm glad you pretty much acknowledged that, though.)

What do you propose, a generic 'gaming' event that loads of guys will go to and the women will be in the minority and probably treated awkwardly? (Playing to a stereotype here, but still.)

"Mens only" events happen already. They're just not named as such because, well... let's take a look at E3.
ygrb238pkuepreucfjdq.jpg

Finding ONE woman quickly turns into a Where's Waldo game

Temascos

Neo Member
Sad that they cancelled the event but also understable. Sadly this won't stop the harassers as they think they could get more out of the people who DARED even think of such an event. GamerGaters and other sperglords only think about the end result, the death and suicide of those who go against their worldview in any way.

The pro-censorship of the Alt-Right needs to stop, but I have no answers to that from a logical perspective. The major publishers need to outright condemn this crap, it needed to be done YEARS ago, heck, it should have been the standard back in the early 2000s, we've been dragging our heels thinking that it wouldn't matter.

It's people like that that give the Jack Thompsons of the world legitimacy, if the culture becomes too toxic and ends up damaging the industry we'll know who to thank.

SomTervo

I do feel like the brutal truth is they should have just gone ahead with the event.

- go ahead with event
- if guys show up 'trolling it', humour them and move on
- once event is done and it (probably) went fine, hold another one the next month
- there will be fewer assholes trolling
- hold another one the following month

Etc. Just playing it straight and acting as if the trolls don't exist is always the best way to go.

I suppose there's a small chance the trolls could/would really cause safety problems, etc.

The post says "Hey guys, I'm creating the thread to plan out the trolling we're gonna do at the women-only event they wanna do at Barcelona under the excuse that they wanna feel safe and protected. The idea is to dress up as chicks and claim we're tr*nnies and yell death to men. Once we're inside we display our rage. We need a plan, event info, maybe costumes and a telegram group. EDIT: We'll need makeup, women's clothes and a lot of balls." Something like that.

Thanks for the translation.

JESUS. FUCKING. CHRIST.

Quoting for the new page, I hope that's okay.

Thank you. Also *vomit*

Well, I mean, how would the Internet have reacted to a "male only" gaming event? I doubt it would have been any better. Doesn't excuse it mind you, just goes to show that there are morons on both sides of this fence.

fhqwhgads

Once again, the kind of people who are most likely to mock safe spaces and call people special snowflakes act like that more than anyone else. Because god forbid that women try to avoid toxic behaviour from men with an event like this.

Some day people are gonna realise that gaming isn't the boys only club and it's a losing war to try resisting against letting anyone other than white men enjoy games without harrassment. No one wins from it and eventually it'll be one of those "I can't believe that's what actually happened" moments when looked back on in the future.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Women only panel and event

Well to be fair it would be pretty shitty if I couldn't attend the event just because I'm a man and more importantly I would love to hear more about women in the video games industry.

Some of them have a way of seeing things that can redefine how you see and how you can create video games.

When I was studying computing we were about a 100 in our school and there were about 7 women and 2 of them were what I would call geniuses real one and they always had a way to create code that was way more creative elegant and most important easy on the CPU side.

I always considered myselk kinda smart but believe me I was ashamed of how stupid I was compared to them but sadly one of them had to drop out being alone in a 25 guys class and around about 5 women whop were way older than her corroded her moral and I think that was a gigantic loss in the IT industry she coud've been the next Margharet Hamilton.

Dongs Macabre

aka Daedalos42
Well, I mean, how would the Internet have reacted to a "male only" gaming event? I doubt it would have been any better. Doesn't excuse it mind you, just goes to show that there are morons on both sides of this fence.

No one would be talking about sticking zucchinis in their pants to sneak in.

Mesoian

Gaming culture continuing to show it's true colors. We at Gaf are an anomaly. A good anomaly, but we make up only a few.

This is why I don't tell people I'm a gamer IRL, it's embarrassing.
This place is not an anomaly, it's just better policed.

Embarrassing behavior all around, behavior I expect will get have waved away because "not all gamers!"

LotusHD

Banned
"Mens only" events happen already. They're just not named as such because, well... let's take a look at E3.
ygrb238pkuepreucfjdq.jpg

I found one! Near the guy in the gray suit!

Disgusting, just absolutely no self-awareness on their part about how horrifically pressed they are about this event.

Izcarielo

Banned
FC made it to Neogaf, ive seen everything lol
what i find weird is:
- this event wasnt even going to be streamed because of trolls and etcetc
- the conferences werent going to be shown even on a pre-recorded format, so if youre a man and youre interested in hearing what they say about gaming, your fucked

https://i.kinja-img.com/gawker-media/image/upload/t_original/ygrb238pkuepreucfjdq.jpg[/ig]
Finding ONE woman quickly turns into a Where's Waldo game[/QUOTE]

Jeeze. I saw more women when I was at CEO last week.

Alucrid

Banned

why would a women only event be created? why would a men only event be created? figure that out and you'll see why what you said is dumb

This is ridiculous.

Not only because Forocoches is not a gaming community and people here is atributing this inmature behaviour to gamers, but also because we are reaching the point of defending that male exclusion is actually a solution to women's problems.

Tiamant

I've been following this shit for the last couple of days and it's very sad.

For all non-spaniards, Forocoches makes 4chan look like educated people. They are the worst of the worst, a forum filled with racist, sexist scum that lives "for the lolz".

Sadly, King caved in due to the pressure these fuckers have. These people have managed to distort the results of polls on tv shows and even managed to make a difference when selecting a fucking piece if garbage to go to Eurovision.

Some of them are really upset the news arrives to Neogaf claiming that a "feminazi" convention like this doesn't deserve such notoriety.

My ex-roomate works at King Barcelona and he is so upset by this :(

Massicot

A male only gaming event would not be equivalent to a female only gaming event, so the hypothetical is pointless.

Any "both sides!" argument sanctifies the status quo, the same status quo that results in responses like those in the OP to begin with.

I think this comparison is ignorant for a lot of reason but the main one is that these "women only" or "black only" events are usually hosted because certain people are not accepted or supported in certain spaces or industries.

Similar to how I see nothing wrong with a male only stay-home parenting 101 event because men are not known to be full-time stay at home parents and there are stigmas.

what i find weird is:
- the conferences werent going to be shown even on a pre-recorded format, so if youre a man and youre interested in hearing what they say about gaming, your fucked

Maybe if so many male gamers weren't such pieces of shit that wouldn't be an issue.

ViolentP

Personally, I don't agree with any sort of male, female, black, white-only events. It doesn't teach anything and further fuels the fire of those felt excluded. People simply need to learn to respect each other has people.

Well to be fair it would be pretty shitty if I couldn't attend the event just because I'm a man and more importantly I would love to hear more about women in the video games industry.

Some of them have a way of seeing things that can redefine how you see and how you can create video games.

When I was studying computing we were about a 100 in our school and there were about 7 women and 2 of them were what I would call geniuses real one and they always had a way to create code that was way more creative elegant and most important easy on the CPU side.

I always considered myselk kinda smart but believe me I was ashamed of how stupid I was compared to them but sadly one of them had to drop out being alone in a 25 guys class and around about 5 women whop were way older than her corroded her moral and I think that was a gigantic loss in the IT industry she coud've been the next Margharet Hamilton.

Sure but this specific event is not made for you. Your free to look and even request for events featuring women though.

This is ridiculous.

Not only because Forocoches is not a gaming community and people here is atributing this inmature behaviour to gamers, but also because we are reaching the point of defending that male exclusion is actually a solution to women's problems.

No one is saying that male exclusion is a solution to women's problems. What is being said though is that it's good that women both young and old can see people with them they can associate themselves. And events such as this one would show that gaming is as much as a women's hobby as it is a men's hobby. This might even make some of them willing to work in that industry.

How is that bad for anyone?

Heroman

Banned
Personally, I don't agree with any sort of male, female, black, white-only events. It doesn't teach anything and further fuels the fire of those felt excluded. People simply need to learn to respect each other has people.
That works in a perfect world but the world isn't perfect so these minority groups need things like this.

I would like to think so, but sadly I have seen many gators and Trump supporters gloating in both Gaming and Off Topic. The mod team does a pretty good job on keeping them in check, but they are constantly lurking in the shadows, waiting for the right time to scurry out into the light.

Such is the nature of cockroaches. Just gotta be sure and smash them whenever they show their ugly faces. Trump supporters generally don't last very long in OT it seems.

Madame M

Banned
what i find weird is:

Why is that weird? People have a right to control the publicity of that which they create.

Nepenthe

Well, I mean, how would the Internet have reacted to a "male only" gaming event?

That's already the normal state of things, so making a publicized event declaring as such is basically running up the score.

It's why white people don't have a dedicated history month in America (yet.)

Mcdohl

AWPEKmF.jpg

Yeah, seems about right.

LOL

I thought it was the classic cringey image...then BAM! Extreme.

I don't get why some people are so annoyed about these kind of events. I'm not even sure if they are annoyed or just have some sort of agenda, or maybe it's just a bunch of bored people who troll for fun.

Any way you spin it I feel kinda sad for them. Hopefully they find love and purpose in their lives one day.

There is no "fence" here man, there are only insecure assholes who can't deal with not being the target demographic for something. This is such a ridiculous situation that it isn't one you can rationalize, more than anything this was a private event that the people who organized wanted to see one specific audience attending and they can't do that because some people in this world view this as taking sides on some proxy war that doesn't even exist if you're not a really disturbed human being. This is some Lovecraftian shit.

SomTervo

ygrb238pkuepreucfjdq.jpg

Another person far left, directly under the 'R' in Square Enix. Blue shirt

Wooooo

The fact we have to do this to prove a point...

Surely this post is trolling, though?

I can't imagine even if someone was a raging misogynist coming up with such a poor idea. It seems like it's a big joke, designed to cause outrage across the net? Like a domino effect.

They can't possibly actually think that is a good idea. Surely.

I actually can't imagine a group of guys committing the actual act that they talk about. It seems so over the top ridiculous. At most I can imagine them protesting outside.

fhqwhgads

If your first response to this or any similiar event is "BUT WHAT ABOUT THE MEN?!?!?!" then you have absolutely no awareness of the situation or the world for that matter.

faridmon

Sigh, we need more female playing video games, but shits like these is what keeping away from it.

I honestly don't get why Sexism is so prevalent in this medium. Movies, Music, Literature, Theater, ect have moved on to be more progressive and yet Gaming have stuck in the same mold of ignorance and hatred.

I do feel like the brutal truth is they should have just gone ahead with the event.

- go ahead with event
- if guys show up 'trolling it', humour them and move on
- once event is done and it (probably) went fine, hold another one the next month
- there will be fewer assholes trolling
- hold another one the following month

Etc. Just playing it straight and acting as if the trolls don't exist is always the best way to go.

I suppose there's a small chance the trolls could/would really cause safety problems, etc.
I agree. Canceling the event was the wrong move. Now the trolls already won.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Sure but this specific event is not made for you. Your free to look and even request for events featuring women though.

Yeah I'm just saying that prohibiting men will only agravated the most stupid males while preventing the more open minded to be able to be informed if only the panel were women only that would've been great the event being it too kinda moot their point.

Top Bottom