• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Super "NeoGAF Arcade Stick Thread" II TURBO

DasRaven

I agree with you as someone with larger hands. But, the increasing use of the Noir layout by OEMs is a good sign.
There are also a number of custom/semi-custom builders making more spacious versions of the Vewlix layout, like Etokki & the Hori Kai sticks.

Skilletor

I know I'm repeating myself from the previous thread but since this is a new one I just need to vent my frustration:

Why can't more arcade sticks be like the ones above??? I really wish arcade manufacturers put more space in between the stick and the buttons. I tried playing with the Madcatz TE's, the Hori V3's, and it's so uncomfortable for me having both of my hands so close to one another. It overall has such a cramped feeling and I don't see how having them so close is a better design decision.

Oh well, I still use my T6 HRAP 3. I think I'll stick with it and eventually mod it with other buttons and sticks when it gives me trouble.

I agree. On TEs, I tend to use the outside six since I really need that extra space.

PBalfredo

Heads up for those looking for a solid, cheaper entry into the obsession that Markman has started in all of us...

WWE Brawl Stick - Amazon $29.99

Currently both PS3 and 360 versions are in stock and available at that price.

God dammit! Just ordered this stick from Amazon a few days ago at the original $70 price. And it just shipped yesterday so I can't cancel it. What should I do? Does Amazon do full refunds on accessories like this?

Yes Boss!

God dammit! Just ordered this stick from Amazon a few days ago at the original $70 price. And it just shipped yesterday so I can't cancel it. What should I do? Does Amazon do full refunds on accessories like this?

Email them first,

But order the new one at the low price for the time being. If they don't credit then you can always get a return on the old one for the next thirty days...you will just have to pay the return postage fee. Up to you if it is worth the $30.

PBalfredo

Called Amazon. Turns out their policy is they will match the best price if the difference is over $20 and within seven days, which is the case. So my stick I already ordered will be the new $30 price! Thanks Amazon for being awesome and thanks stickGAF for the heads-up and good advice!

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
if you're going to spend the time and money to mod it, you might have well just bought the SC5 stick for an extra $30.
Modding can be that expensive? I payed $40 in total cause I'm importing it to Canada. Was thinking of just changing the artwork as I don't want the Rock to stare at me all the time while I play. :S

Amagon

Heads up for those looking for a solid, cheaper entry into the obsession that Markman has started in all of us...

WWE Brawl Stick - Amazon $29.99

Which stick should I buy if I want to dual mod it? WWE Brawl Stick - Amazon $29.99 And what is the easiest way to dual mod the stick anyway? This will probably be my first stick to mod since for that price, why the hell not?

DasRaven

At the current price, it would be cheaper to buy and mod both ps3 & 360 brawlsticks than to buy the cheapest stick that accepts a simple dual mod, the madcatz SCV stick and the associated kitty/chimp/Cerberus mod.

The cheapest dual-mod board starts around $40.

Amagon

At the current price, it would be cheaper to buy and mod both ps3 & 360 brawlsticks than to buy the cheapest stick that accepts a simple dual mod, the madcatz SCV stick and the associated kitty/chimp/Cerberus mod.

The cheapest dual-mod board starts around $40.

Just bought the brawl stick for the PS3. I'll pick up the 360 stick later in the week if its still available for that price.

O man I forgot how Kayane looked back then (not even like 2 years ago) with that chunli pic. Also Faye is always a hottie.

Thinking of picking up a P4A stick if one ever gets release stateside

deim0s

Posted this yesterday in the old thread...

157bb4f8d31511e1b62722000a1e8b36_7.jpg

The HORI RAP V3-SA Kai and VX-SA Kai. US versions (yes it's coming out here). Early. ;)

What's the difference with the Kai sticks from the previous SA's?

Yay! Arcade stick thread round 2!

No joke, this crazy thread has totally changed the type of gamer that I am. I used to like some console FPS games, a touch of action and an RPG or two. Then looking at this thread I got the crazy itch for a DIY project, so I built a stick in my spare time, I didn't even play fighters or anything. Now I pretty much just play fighters and SHUMPs (VF5!), I streamed much of EVO, my kids showed up on Kotaku's front page dressed as Ryu and Chun-li, and I'm currently making a little list of the best arcade stick friendly PC games to share in the Steam sale thread. So yeah, arcade sticks are pretty nifty eh?

KL13f.jpg

My next project I actually found a guy at work giving away an old 2P X-Arcade for free. I wanted to put some nice japanese sticks and buttons in it and pad hack some 360 pads into it. But honestly, it just feels so delightfully trashy as is I almost don't want to change it at all. Might eventually put some eurosticks and buttons in instead.

The Phantomnaut

Neo Member
The Kai is way different from the V3-SA (VF5 edition). There's a lot more to the stick other than the button layout. It's worth going in (if you know what I mean) and seeing how other things stick together as well. Overall. I don't like the stick, but that's just my personal preference.

Regarding the EXChanger, lol at that stick. There's a reason why no one uses it. NeoPenny (another collector/avid member of the Mexican/TJ FGC) went above and beyond to try and get one... just to be disappointed. It has a lot of cool stuff going for it though. It's just the actual feel/usage of it doesn't get the job done.

I miss reviewing sticks. A competing stick company asked me to review their sticks and I told them I could probably do it but under a pseudonym or something lol.

I will hit Hori up ASAP. Yeah NeoPenny told me about the EXChanger. Some other folks who got it had more positive opinions on it but I wanna try it.

I know I'm repeating myself from the previous thread but since this is a new one I just need to vent my frustration:

Why can't more arcade sticks be like the ones above??? I really wish arcade manufacturers put more space in between the stick and the buttons. I tried playing with the Madcatz TE's, the Hori V3's, and it's so uncomfortable for me having both of my hands so close to one another. It overall has such a cramped feeling and I don't see how having them so close is a better design decision.

Oh well, I still use my T6 HRAP 3. I think I'll stick with it and eventually mod it with other buttons and sticks when it gives me trouble.

I concur!! I use outside 6 on my T5 stick and TE when I had one. My custom has even more room than that as well. One reason I really don't like Japanese cabinets :(

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Just bought the brawl stick for the PS3. I'll pick up the 360 stick later in the week if its still available for that price.

Came here to say that the deal is over. Now, it's back to $70. Glad I grabbed one while it lasted. DasRaven, *bows*.

EYEL1NER

I only have a Tatsu vs Capcom Wii stick and a MvC2 stick but now that I will be employed again in a couple weeks I will be building a stick soon. And I will be able to pick up a Chun and Femme Fatale stick.
Can't wait to build my stick. More than likely it will be Darkstalkers-themed.

Anyone know the size of the hex screws on the madcats VS stick? This hex key set I have laying around is not fitting.. Going to the hardware store tomorrow and I don't want to but the wrong size/metric or whatever..

Duxxy3

Anyone know the size of the hex screws on the madcats VS stick? This hex key set I have laying around is not fitting.. Going to the hardware store tomorrow and I don't want to but the wrong size/metric or whatever..

Not really sure - i use one of these

Ak8FyiFCQAEPRiQ.jpg

has the correct size in it.

Alfredo

I just bought the Hori SoulCalibur V stick for the 360 recently. I'm looking into dual modding it since most of my fighting game friends play on PS3. Is there an easy, solderless dual mod solution that's compatible with the Hori SCV stick?

I've heard something about a "ChImp SMD" being something I'm looking for, but I can't really seem to find any solderless tutorials or anything like that.

Or is it just more worth it to send my stick off to someone else to mod it for me?

DasRaven

I just bought the Hori SoulCalibur V stick for the 360 recently. I'm looking into dual modding it since most of my fighting game friends play on PS3. Is there an easy, solderless dual mod solution that's compatible with the Hori SCV stick?

I've heard something about a "ChImp SMD" being something I'm looking for, but I can't really seem to find any solderless tutorials or anything like that.

Or is it just more worth it to send my stick off to someone else to mod it for me?

The Chimp is the only way I've seen the Hori SCV stick dual modded, but that is NOT a solderless solution and I know of none in the pipeline.

Oh, um, it's the Hori Fighting Stick V3 for PS3, if that's what you mean.

That stick looks like this inside:
ggl12.jpg

There is nothing easy about modding this stick and you'd be better off with almost anything else if modding is your desire.

BlackJace

The Chimp is the only way I've seen the Hori SCV stick dual modded, but that is NOT a solderless solution and I know of none in the pipeline.

That stick looks like this inside:
ggl12.jpg

There is nothing easy about modding this stick and you'd be better off with almost anything else if modding is your desire.

Yikes, thanks. If only I had jumped on the BrawlStick deal earlier....

sp3ctr3

I only have 1 stick. Hori Real Arcade Pro VX-SA that I modded with an octogonal gate and Seimitsu screw-ins. I like Seimitsu buttons more.

file.php

and a shot of my NAC CP
file.php

Doombear

No joke, this crazy thread has totally changed the type of gamer that I am. I used to like some console FPS games, a touch of action and an RPG or two. Then looking at this thread I got the crazy itch for a DIY project, so I built a stick in my spare time, I didn't even play fighters or anything. Now I pretty much just play fighters and SHUMPs (VF5!), I streamed much of EVO, my kids showed up on Kotaku's front page dressed as Ryu and Chun-li, and I'm currently making a little list of the best arcade stick friendly PC games to share in the Steam sale thread. So yeah, arcade sticks are pretty nifty eh?

KL13f.jpg

My next project I actually found a guy at work giving away an old 2P X-Arcade for free. I wanted to put some nice japanese sticks and buttons in it and pad hack some 360 pads into it. But honestly, it just feels so delightfully trashy as is I almost don't want to change it at all. Might eventually put some eurosticks and buttons in instead.

That is a very nice stick! That is the one you built yourself? I like it quite a bit, and I hear ya on what this thread does to people. Wait until you see what EVO did to my pickups this month in the thread. Should be posting there tomorrow... Nice stick!

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
I took advantage of the Evo deal and picked up a SC V Mad Catz stick. Goofy aesthetics aside, it plays solid. One weird quirk though.

Almost every time I go to power on the 360, the stick isn't noticed by the 360 at all. Can't power on with the guide button, and I have to power the 360 on and then unplug the stick and plug it back in to get it working.

My Hori's never do this. Is this common?

Agate

Neo Member
Nothing too special, but this is the current one I use -- which happens to be the first stick I've ever invested in.. (Qanba stick)

l77Yi.jpg

KL13f.jpg

Now this is good stick design. Art that works with, and not against, the stick's inherent form factor.

A chimpSMD is solderless s long as the main board is common ground, it just takes a tiny bit of work and creativity wiring it up.

Geniuzz

When Mvc3 came out I bought a HORI RAP for my Xbox360, but the ball top keeps loosening up. Is there any way for me to fix this without having to open up the casing?

bumpkin

My (first) mod was pretty rudimentary and amateur compared to the awesome sticks a lot of you guys have put together, but I'm still pretty proud of it. I've never done any sort of joystick modding before, so I was pretty darn nervous when I opened it up and started disassembling things. I got even more nervous when I had trouble getting buttons to come out or go in. I'd swear that some of the holes were slightly smaller than others.

I'm thinking about changing out a few more buttons, possibly getting a new balltop, re-painting the bezel, and replacing the artwork. I also want to install a TE Kitty from GodLikeControls.

At any rate, this is my mod so far:

Fightstick_Buttons.jpg

Beckx

There's the Akishop PS360+, but I don't know if it's solderless for Hori.

However, I just use this, it works flawlessly so far and I can use it for multiple controllers.

nice led mod man. I'll probably just mail my stick off to someone else to do that.

Thanks!

An LED mod isn't too hard, Nerrage's videos are super easy to follow. My only problems were closing the scotch locks (use pliers for this, it's too easy to leave one partially open & break the circuit), and the fact that the grounding strip on the MLG TE is reversed from the standard TE, which had me tearing my hair out until I tried flipping the wires.

number386

Heads Up: PS3/PC gamers DO NOT BUY MADCATZ FIGHTSTICKS.

I Bought SSIV AE2012 on steam last week and to my dismay my PS3 TE stick doesn't work on my PC. Googled it, and found a srk link where others ps3 stick owners are having the same problems.

the PS3 TE is only compatible with UHCI (Universal Host Controller Interface), which is an Intel originated proprietary standard and far from universal. Any knowledgeable and experienced engineer developing a USB device knows and fully understands the differences between the various USB standards:

UHCI - USB 1.1 Proprietary Intel Standard
OHCI - USB 1.1 Open Standard
EHCI - USB 2.0 Open Standard

inorder to use you have to have a UHCI (Universal Host Controller Interface), i can personally recommend via chipsets as this was my solution and all that has bought pci cards with the via chipset have reported that it works.

http://shoryuken.com/forum/index.ph...c-xp-vista-win7-32-64bit-read-1st-post.56258/

The thread is over three years old and still active, looks like madcatz doesn't have any interest in trying to find a solution. It's very disappointing, the only workaround found was using a pci usb card. Using a matx board with a 670, and sound card, I don't have the room for an additional pci card.

Skip madcatz and go with the Hori RAP.

TGMIII

I have an original PS3 TE, Round 2 360 TE and a PS3 Hori VLX and they all worked in every PC I've owned without issues.

Top Bottom