• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[3DS eShop] The Rolling Western/Dillon's Rolling Western |OT|

Banjoman

I'm so bad that I gained just one star in the first town and now I have to replay it.
Apparently it seems a nice game, but ten euros are too much.

nron10

Neo Member
How far are you?

I found it got very very repetitive the further I got into it. I was digging at first until I had the realization at Stage 3 that this was all the game was. Day, Night, Rinse, Repeat.

zroid

Banned
This game might not be truly a tower defense game, but you need similar planning and resource management skills (with *you* being a valuable resource as well as any towers).

Back when I played tower def games in WarCraft III, this was pretty common. Sounds good to have that mechanic back in a game.

Wolfe

I'm so bad that I gained just one star in the first town and now I have to replay it.
Apparently it seems a nice game, but ten euros are too much.

I can't help but feel like apple is ruining people with the app store, since when did 10 dollars (I know it's more given the conversion rates for other regions) for a fun good looking game with nice length become a bad thing? Hell half the console games released now are shorter and cost 6-7 times as much!

I am so sick of being screwed over by Nintendo's control schemes as a left-handed person. Just spent $10 on a game I can't play.

Sinthetic

I can't help but feel like apple is ruining people with the app store, since when did 10 dollars (I know it's more given the conversion rates for other regions) for a fun good looking game with nice length become a bad thing? Hell half the console games released now are shorter and cost 6-7 times as much!

You are totally right, but I feel that I want a demo of something that costs £9 (that I'm unsure of). Games like Pushmo are £5.40 and I would have no trouble paying double that. Dillon doesn't grab me immediately like Mallo did.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
I'm left handed and I don't have any problems with it at all. Weak ass lefties giving the rest of us a bad name.

Wolfe

It's because you're genetically inferior and Nintendo are slowly phasing your kind out.

Everyone knows the master race is ambidextrous!

You are totally right, but I feel that I want a demo of something that costs £9 (that I'm unsure of). Games like Pushmo are £5.40 and I would have no trouble paying double that. Dillon doesn't grab me immediately like Mallo did.

I completely agree, being able to try a game out is an invaluable tool I wish more devs would take advantage of.

tkscz

I am so sick of being screwed over by Nintendo's control schemes as a left-handed person. Just spent $10 on a game I can't play.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't Miyamoto left handed? Which was the reason why Link was also left handed.

Wizpig

I'm left-handed too, does the game require you to use the stylus while using the analog?

If not, there's no problem.

(btw bought it.)

zroid

Banned

Value is a bit more complicated than just length though. Even if it's really 20 hours long, if the game doesn't do enough to justify its length by having lots of variation from level to level, then it isn't worth it.

Pushmo is a good example of packing tons of value into a single, simple concept. The built-in puzzles are so ingenious, delightful, and often challenging that I think you could easily argue a $20 or $30 price tag for what is pegged at $7. And then there's the UGC.

Oh jesus, I'm left-handed too. :/

I'm a bit more ambi than most though, so I might be able to get used to it with some practise. Hopefully.

BorkBork

The Legend of BorkBork: BorkBorkity Borking

Seems like they're saying you don't have enough time in the game to do everything. But I think they're missing the point. The game is designed around time management. You have to be smart about tower placements. You have to watch how the enemies attack on the first day in order to get a sense of how to defend. You have to balance speed in combat with getting more loot. *

Sounds really strategic to me.

* This is all coming from watching the excellent eshop gameplay video released today. Maybe they have a valid point about monotony.

nron10

Neo Member
I'm a lefty as well and while I raged at first, it's not too much of an issue, except that my right hand cramped up a bit because I'm not used to holding a pen/stylus in it.

Basically, it would've been awesome if they added Circle Pad Pro support, but because the game doesn't require really direct and precise movement on the touch screen, it still works.

Wolfe

Value is a bit more complicated than just length though. Even if it's really 20 hours long, if the game doesn't do enough to justify its length by having lots of variation from level to level, then it isn't worth it.

Pushmo is a good example of packing tons of value into a single, simple concept. The built-in puzzles are so ingenious, delightful, and often challenging that I think you could easily argue a $20 or $30 price tag for what is pegged at $7. And then there's the UGC.

Yeah for sure I was just using that as an example given that it's an easy one to use. Also value is subjective obviously but it just seems silly to me to blast a 10 dollar game on price point and not on content.

I thought the game is well worth the 10 bucks. It controls well enough and actually looks very pleasing to the eye.

I'm not that far into the game, but so far I really enjoy it. The style is charming and the game idea is quite neat. Exploring vs preparing for the onslaught puts you under pressure and the 3 day cycle makes it the perfect in between game.

JordanKZ

Bought this earlier on and I'm around 3 stages in. God damn this game is repetitive. It simply isn't fun at all.

Really regretting the purchase. :-/

Banjoman

Since when there is Pushmo, probably.
Six euro too for Dillon's Rolling Western would have been a right price for me.

I'm a lefty as well and while I raged at first, it's not too much of an issue, except that my right hand cramped up a bit because I'm not used to holding a pen/stylus in it.

Basically, it would've been awesome if they added Circle Pad Pro support, but because the game doesn't require really direct and precise movement on the touch screen, it still works.

Yeah. I'm getting used to it. I'm just sick of HAVING to get used to it. Tired of having an inarguably inferior experience because Nintendo wants to push some gimmicky, bullshit control scheme.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
I thought the game is well worth the 10 bucks. It controls well enough and actually looks very pleasing to the eye.

I'm not that far into the game, but so far I really enjoy it. The style is charming and the game idea is quite neat. Exploring vs preparing for the onslaught puts you under pressure and the 3 day cycle makes it the perfect in between game.

I'm loving it, but at the same time I think (but after just one "day" of playtime) that the tag price is a little bit too high, especially compared to Pushmo (6 VS 10 for semi-equivalent game values)

Bullza2o

Man I don't understand the negative reviews. I thought it was good; I'm enjoying it so far (2nd day first town completed). And I bought the game without reading any review.

Codeblue

Considering it just came out a couple of hours ago, maybe they spent too much time with it. I have no desire to play this for hours at a time, but it's been fun in short bursts.

Also I'm really digging the daytime music.

zroid

Banned
Yeah for sure I was just using that as an example given that it's an easy one to use. Also value is subjective obviously but it just seems silly to me to blast a 10 dollar game on price point and not on content.

True, Mutant Mudds got some of the same flak at $9, but it was easily worthwhile IMO. And it wasn't a terribly long game, 100%-able in 5-7 hours by most. Just really fun and well-designed.

Also, I'm kind of amazed at how many lefties appear to be in this thread. o_O

Yuterald

I think this game is fucking awesome! After watching that Nintendo Direct video I blindly jumped on this. The controls are tight as shit! This is apparently a Tokyo EAD game? If so, you can tell. Dillon has awesome animations too. Breaking after a fully charged roll on grass looks slick as shit. Music is cool, characters look nice and are likeable, and the gameplay is fun and instantly engaging. Not sure how repetitive the game will get, but there is surely a ton of content. You can replay stages it seems to earn time trial stars, there is an item/bestiary book to complete, sidequests to take up during intermissions, etc. From the looks of it this might be the most content packed eShop title to date.

Oh, and the
Legend of Zelda treasure chest opening homage is
classy! There is a ton of heart and soul put into this game. I would highly suggest those who had an even passing interest in this game to just take the plunge.

Yuterald

Does anybody have their hands cramping after playing this game for a while?

I get that sensation with every handheld. I've got big hands though so that's one of the reasons why I bought that Circle Pad Pro. It at least helps when I'm playing RE:R. I even use it for games that don't utilize the pad (and really don't make use of L & R either). It's just more comfortable for me and I get less hand cramps.

AzaK

Christ $18.75 here in New Zealand - straight conversion would be NZ$12. I guess electrons use more fuel to get here.

I'm loving it, but at the same time I think (but after just one "day" of playtime) that the tag price is a little bit too high, especially compared to Pushmo (6 VS 10 for semi-equivalent game values)

Maybe, but DRW has a lot to it and would take quite a while to develop. Pushmo on the other hand was done on the toilet.

M3d10n

I read somewhere most left handed people have latent ambidexterity. Seek your true power!

(Or just use your fucking right thumb! This game doesn't require accuracy at all)

Giolon

I liked what I saw of this on Nintendo Direct this morning, so I went over to the 3DS eShop to pick it up and check it out. Then I saw this:

$9.99

Ten dollars? You have to be fucking kidding me, Nintendo. Make it $5 and then we'll chat.

Truth101

Banned
I liked what I saw of this on Nintendo Direct this morning, so I went over to the 3DS eShop to pick it up and check it out. Then I saw this:

$9.99

Ten dollars? You have to be fucking kidding me, Nintendo. Make it $5 and then we'll chat.

It's a 20hr+ game...

Why would it be $5?

K

kittens

Unconfirmed Member
I love the character design of the armadillo dude, but the overall art style and gameplay looks pretty lacking. Gotta steal my friend's 3DS and give it a try, tho.

Pietepiet

Still loving it! Here's some quick fan pixels:

dillon.png

NeoRausch

i feel bad now....

-i bought it at ten bucks
-i didn:t know what a shit about this game
-i'm lefthanded
-and i'm enjoying it

GAF..... i need help!

EDIT:

Also, when will i loose my juniorship? with time or with posts? can't find anything about it in the FAQ's

jtrov

Absolutely loving the presentation and music so far in the early parts of the game.

I'm only on the Night part of Day 1, but I'm really enjoying the combat system and I can't wait to see how the difficulty ramps up. I'm also guessing that you aren't meant to build stuff for Day 1 (Night)? I had barely enough money to build just a single tower, with nothing left to spare for a weapon.

Overall I was having a lot of fun rolling through the terrain and jumping into Mines to collect mats. Can't wait to see how it progresses, but so far I'm really enjoying it. Loving Dillion and the artstyle, so far.. along with all the little animations. They seem to just add to the charm of the game.

Just finished first day first town, it's pretty fun but I can see how it'll get repetitive. Kind of wish that fighting monsters didn't take you into a RPG style battle arena.

Wolfe

Because it could be a $0.99 iPhone game?

Edit: Don't get me wrong - the game looks good, but that price is too high for the value proposition for me.

If 99 cent iphone games had this much production value to them then I would agree, but no.

Also seems at least some site like it so far, as in Kotaku :p

nron10

Neo Member
This game is not a $0.99 iPhone App!

Hell, I don't even like the game (http://www.nintendoworldreport.com/review/29371), but it certainly still is a game with Nintendo production values. Sadly, in my eyes, it doesn't have Nintendo gameplay values. But to each their own.

I'll say until I'm blue in the face, but I'm really glad some people like this. I just didn't.

Newsboy

Neo Member
Can't help but feel that the writers blasting through the game to get the review done aren't enjoying it and the gamers looking to just play it at their own pace are.
Maybe it's just not a game built for fast turnaround reviews. I'll definitely be picking this up when I have the $$$

Top Bottom