• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Game of Thrones - Season 2 - George RR Martin's Song of Ice and Fire - Sundays on HBO

Status
Not open for further replies.

apana

I'm not sure I like Alfie Allen as an actor, he sometimes seems to somehow just be out of his league during scenes... but I sure as fuck love the way he looks as Theon. Even if he wasn't quite as I imagine he'd look, he definitely has the air of what I'd feel a generic "Iron Islander" might look - and when he was standing on that rocky shore, disheveled, wet hair, he really looked like he had some iron and salt in him. I wish I could always believe his performance, though.

Also, Natalie Dormer looks SMOKING in this series... never hooked on her in Tudors. Me-ow.

Disagree completely with your assessment of Alfie Allen. I feel he gets a bit underrated because people know him as the brother of Lily Allen and he is seen as an acting rookie. I think he has been just as good as any other actor on the show, at least for this season. He has really gotten inside his character and knows just what to do. Personally it has been my favorite performance of season 2 but I'm going to wait till the end to decide who was best. It's Asha/Yara who is the problem.

I disagreed with the Margaery decisions and the choice to cast what was probably an expensive actress but damn Natalie Dormer really is magnetic in this role like that Otaku guy said.

jett

D-Member
it's only 'ambiguous' if you thought Renly being gay and calling his guard "The Rainbow Guard" is also ambiguous,
because it's pretty clear she is a total whore in the books if you are at all used to GRRM's written style.

You think being young excludes you from scheming? If anything, it's likely to make you more susceptible to scheming. And, actually, like Anne Boleyn's family, it makes sense that Margaery's family will have persuaded her how important moving up is to their families ambition, which by extension is her own ambition.

Let's just say I disagree with your notion of Margaery.

Peff

it's only 'ambiguous' if you thought Renly being gay and calling his guard "The Rainbow Guard" is also ambiguous, because it's pretty clear she is a total whore in the books if you are at all used to GRRM's written style.

Right, but
until her meltdown in the prison cell there is the question that she might just be another Sansa with actual brains behind her (namely the Queen of Thorns). It might damage Cersei's arc if you have been shown that she is a power-crazy whore for two/three seasons, but of course it's far too early to tell.

AngryMoth

At first I thought she was mocking Renly with the Loras quips but I guess she just REALLY wants to be Queen.

As for book Margery, (series)
I always thought she was a schemer due to her close relationship with the Queen of Thornes, and the blasé way she acted in that scene with Sansa. Maybe I'm as paranoid as Cersei as I couldn't really point to a specific line, but I just got the feeling that she was really playing the game of thrones when I was reading Feast. And then of course she has that fucking amazing passage culminating in "...you vile, scheming, evil bitch!" One of the most satisfying lines in the whole series.

Socreges

Banned
Amir0x said:
it's only 'ambiguous' if you thought Renly being gay and calling his guard "The Rainbow Guard" is also ambiguous, [series]
because it's pretty clear she is a total whore in the books if you are at all used to GRRM's written style.
I'll never understand how you, a former mod who preached how he tried to help out with spoilers, can never get it right with timeline implications.
KuGsj.gif

Also, "total whore", "huge whore"... yeesh.

jett

D-Member
I'll never understand how you, a former mod who preached how he tried to help out with spoilers, can never get it right with timeline implications.
KuGsj.gif

Also, "total whore", "huge whore"... yeesh.

You're talking about a guy that would go to the non-spoiler thread and tease the non-readers with how wrong their predictions/ideas are. :lol

q_q

LOL, he might be talking about her suggesting a threesome with her own brother. Then again, that's not really rare in this world. ;)

Yeah but she did that for practical reasons, not solely for pleasure. I guess I just have a different definition of whore.

I'm also curious to see Ami's response as to why Margaery is a whore in the books.

Amir0x

Banned
Disagree completely with your assessment of Alfie Allen. I feel he gets a bit underrated because people know him as the brother of Lily Allen and he is seen as an acting rookie. I think he has been just as good as any other actor on the show, at least for this season. He has really gotten inside his character and knows just what to do. Personally it has been my favorite performance of season 2 but I'm going to wait till the end to decide who was best. It's Asha/Yara who is the problem.

I disagreed with the Margaery decisions and the choice to cast what was probably an expensive actress but damn Natalie Dormer really is magnetic in this role like that Otaku guy said.

It really doesn't have much to do with him being Lily Allen's brother. Not sure why that would cause me to judge him.

No, he just seems to be straining for his voice sometimes, his face betrays some of the intended emotions of the scenes he's in... when he is yelling back at his father, I didn't get the sense of hurt that should be there, rather someone carefully imitating what he thought hurt would be like. Almost like if an alien visited earth and tried to mimick human emotions or something.

Not to say he is always out of his league. I quite like him at times, but at other times... it just doesn't click with me, it's clear he is an acting rookie sometimes.

Natalie Dormer's titties are as magnetic as I'll ever need *swoon*

Let's just say I disagree with your notion of Margaery.

I understand. Let's just say Margaery is a shrewd player, is described as such in the books, and
has been playing Cersei readily in more than one occasion, which I'm sure you're aware of. She's not merely some backwater playing above her station.
It is clear she is in complete control of her body and her mind, and she has no fear of using either.

At first I thought she was mocking Renly with the Loras quips but I guess she just REALLY wants to be Queen.

As for book Margery, (series)
I always thought she was a schemer due to her close relationship with the Queen of Thornes, and the way she acted in that scene with Sansa. Maybe I'm as paranoid as Cersei as I couldn't really point to a specific line, but I just got the feeling that she was really playing the game of thrones when I was reading Feast. And then of course she has that fucking amazing passage culminating in "...you vile, scheming, evil bitch!" One of the most satisfying lines in the whole series.

Maybe, we'll see. I think it's good to expand her character, because she had weak weak characterization in early books

Famassu

Yeah but she did that for practical reasons, not solely for pleasure. I guess I just have a different definition of whore.

I'm also curious to see Ami's response as to why Margaery is a whore in the books.
Series
It's never outright "shown" in the books, but it's heavily implied. She's not just having nice chit chats with her friends when they come together for their little gatherings. For all we know they could be having orgies there. Not that it makes her a whore, but she's implied to be very forward in private with these things.

Also, I don't think this will cause any problems with Cersei's AFFC storylines. The most important thing of that is that Cersei "knows" what Margaery is doing but no one believes her, since Margaery is the cute good girl whenever in public. THAT is what is driving her nuts. She sees the scheming, but she's can't do much about it before she can prove it without any doubts.

jett

D-Member
It really doesn't have much to do with him being Lily Allen's brother. Not sure why that would cause me to judge him.

No, he just seems to be straining for his voice sometimes, his face betrays some of the intended emotions of the scenes he's in... when he is yelling back at his father, I didn't get the sense of hurt that should be there, rather someone carefully imitating what he thought hurt would be like. Almost like if an alien visited earth and tried to mimick human emotions or something.

Not to say he is always out of his league. I quite like him at times, but at other times... it just doesn't click with me, it's clear he is an acting rookie sometimes.

Natalie Dormer's titties are as magnetic as I'll ever need *swoon*

I understand. Let's just say Margaery is a shrewd player, is described as such in the books, and
has been playing Cersei readily in more than one occasion, which I'm sure you're aware of. She's not merely some backwater playing above her station.
It is clear she is in complete control of her body and her mind, and she has no fear of using either.

Maybe, we'll see. I think it's good to expand her character, because she had weak weak characterization in early books

(series)
I'm not saying she's not a schemer later on, but that she might not be a schemer at this point in the story, in the books at least. Also I never bought into the whole rumor/accusation of her having huge orgies.

Amir0x

Banned
Series
It's never outright "shown" in the books, but it's heavily implied. She's not just having nice chit chats with her friends when they come together for their little gatherings. For all we know they could be having orgies there. Not that it makes her a whore, but she's implied to be very forward in private with these things.

Also, I don't think this will cause any problems with Cersei's AFFC storylines. The most important thing of that is that Cersei "knows" what Margaery is doing but no one believes her, since Margaery is the cute good girl whenever in public. THAT is what is driving her nuts. She sees the scheming, but she's can't do much about it before she can prove it without any doubts.

And another little tip for how shrewd Margaery is...
she didn't not fuck Osney Kettleback because she is a quaint little virgin. She didn't fuck him because she was sharp enough to realize he was playing for Cersei.

Jett SPOILER TAG failure ^^^ ;)

I understand. It is left explicitly unsaid for a reason, so it's no big deal if you disagree with my assessment. I just think her being a smart operator makes sense given the way we know her character works out. And we know what females who want power often do in this world, if they don't have true power themselves (Brienne).

Meier

I'm sure this was discussed as it was airing, but I wasn't surprised that they didn't use the term Rainbow Guard last night and only used the term Kings Guard for Renly. I think it would have felt too forced and maybe come off as offensive for the uninitiated. With Renly's homosexuality only being implied in the books (regardless of how obvious it was to some), there was at least a chance that the rainbow correlation wasn't related to his sexual proclivities.

Amir0x

Banned
I'm sure this was discussed as it was airing, but I wasn't surprised that they didn't use the term Rainbow Guard last night and only used the term Kings Guard for Renly. I think it would have felt too forced and maybe come off as offensive for the uninitiated. With Renly's homosexuality only being implied in the books (regardless of how obvious it was to some), there was at least a chance that the rainbow correlation wasn't related to his sexual proclivities.

Yeah, the way the show spells it out for you, there's no need for the Rainbow Guard designation. I actually think it would have been over-the-top in this iteration of the story, considering how open they are about Renly. Not that the books are particularly ambiguous, but after the rainbow guard bit there's no doubt. In the show, it's completely unnecessary and would even seem as if Renly was intentionally trying to get people to realize his sexual preference.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
[affc]
Margery being a bit of mystery helped Cersei's story a lot. You weren't sure whether or not Cersei was just trying to convince herself that Margery was out to get her or if she was actually scheming behind Cersei's back. I mean, Margery almost certainly was scheming to some extent, given the Highgarden/Olenna connection, but it was never outright spelt out for you. I liked that.

That said, I definitely really enjoyed all the added scenes at Renly's camp this episode.

q_q

Series

Series:
I'm not seeing that. Yes Cersei thinks she is a whore, but that's only because she is paranoid and wants it to be true. The Blue Bard's confession is forced, her maidenhead is implied to have broken due to horse riding rather than any sex, and Osney's attempts to seduce her or catch her with men are completely unsuccessful. I got the impression that she truly was innocent and that she is indeed a virgin. Pycelle was lying about the Moon Tea because he is trying to stay loyal and useful to Cersei. It definitely is not confirmed that she is a virgin and I think it could go either way, but I don't think it's as cut and dry as Renly being gay.

q_q

And another little tip for how shrewd Margaery is...
she didn't not fuck Osney Kettleback because she is a quaint little virgin. She didn't fuck him because she was sharp enough to realize he was playing for Cersei.

AFFC:
Not buying that one. She knows Osney is working for Cersei but for some reason trusts Pycelle of all people to make her Moon Tea? Right...

AngryMoth

I love Cornballer's incredibly polite posts asking people to use the relevant threads, and then everyone just carries on with the series spoilers :lol
I think it was just for simplicities sake; if you say rainbow guard, you have to explain what the rainbow guard is somehow. Kingsguard should be easier for viewers to get the jist. The line was a little jarring though, the way it was delivered, but maybe thats just my book knowledge effecting my viewing experience.

Igladius

Neo Member
and I was yelled at for spoiler tag fails.... whomp whomp.

I really really like the way they did Theon's story in the HBO series vs. the books. [General Series Spoiler]:
still a long way to go before he can do what he does... then again, it may be shown to be more of a compassionate act than an act of malice and failure...if you catch my drift.

Strongest episode so far with an amazing last 10 minutes. Yoren's dialogue and fight was perfect and my God the Lommy scene was horrific. Other than that I think the Iron Island scenes are being handled better than they were in the books, and it's great to watch the Tyrion/Varys alliance develop. Hell, it's always been great to watch Varys do anything in this show.

Strongest episode so far with an amazing last 10 minutes. Yoren's dialogue and fight was perfect and my God the Lommy scene was horrific. Other than that I think the Iron Island scenes are being handled better than they were in the books, and it's great to watch the Tyrion/Varys alliance develop. Hell, it's always been great to watch Varys do anything in this show.
I will echo that. Great character, great actor.

speaking of Tyrion though, why was Shagga absent from the Pycelle intimidation scene?

I really didn't like that episode aside from the Theon and Arya parts. I'm hoping the drop in quality is due to how hard it is to translate the first half of Clash than just everyone getting sloppy.

Shae should have been cut. =/

Alfie Allen is THAT Alfie, aka Lily Allen's brother, aka the subject of the song Alfie? Lol. I'm stupid for not realizing this. Looks like she got all the looks in the family...

I really didn't like that episode aside from the Theon and Arya parts. I'm hoping the drop in quality is due to how hard it is to translate the first half of Clash than just everyone getting sloppy.

Shae should have been cut. =/

Weird, I thought this was a magnificent distillation of a lot of complicated events and story lines from the book, without dropping anything too significant. ESPECIALLY Tyrion ferreting out the mole in the Small Council, which was basically a clinic on how to adapt a scene for television.

Won

No kills for Arya? Boooo. Let her murder some Lannisters!

Besides that, great episode overall. Love Theon in this. A big improvement for me over the book. Tyrion of course boss as always. Luwin is just a cool guy.

But Shae....I hope they have something in store for her, because so far she is even worse than in the books.
And somehow I always forget that Sansa is a character in this story.

It was the burned man guy that has only one eye. I think they missed some good jokes with Shagga and his axes. Like the barber line.

They cut a lot out of that scene. Makes me wonder if they will do anything to him off screen besides the beard (SOS)
cause it would otherwise be quite hard to explain the downward spiral he takes since I am sure most of that is because they turn him into a eunich and hes locked away till Tyrion flees. Unless they just add that he was brutally tortured soon after...

Magni

Loved the episode. Question concerning the end of the previous episode/start of this one with Jon. Where was his direwolf when he was attacked by Craster?

JGS

Banned
Loved the episode. Question concerning the end of the previous episode/start of this one with Jon. Where was his direwolf when he was attacked by Craster?
I wondered the same thing, but it may have been a case of Ghost not thinking Snow was in real danger to begin with. If it's like Bran's wolf, it does as it pleases at night apparently.

Amir0x

Banned
Someone that agrees with me! Amazing!

It's due to the changes they made, but it's really undercutting some of the bite Arya has. Not that it's altogether bad, maybe it's good they paint Arya with slightly more vulnerability so that when she makes her transformation it has more punch.

I am really excited to see Harrenhal though. Can't wait to see the shot of that behemoth.

Did someone seriously call Brienne a whore?

She's the "maid of tarth" for a reason.

Who called Brienne a whore? She's so sheepish about sexuality that she literally wears a suit of armor to keep people at a distance. I can't imagine anyone who read the books would say that...

Lothar

Banned
could someone tell me what exactly happened in those cut Arya chapters?
They stroll around the country and then there's a fire and they kill some men climbing up a wall, what?

Summed up in one word, Characterization.
Arya bonding with Gendry and Hot Pie and Lommy.
Arya trying to get them to eat bugs and worms.
The older kids leaving them behind on their own and the group having to carry Lommy and care for a crying little girl.
Arya arguing with Gendry that they shouldn't leave everyone behind. It shows Arya's character that she remains strong and refuses to even consider leaving them.
Arya and Hot Pie debating about whether they should rescue Gendry who was captured by 20 guards. Surprisingly, Hot Pie agreed to help rescue him.
Arya and Hot Pie actually fighting and killing people in the battle.
Arya actually being smart enough to tell Yoren that they shouldn't stay there in that spot. Since the people that used to live there got scared and ran away.
The humor in Lommy always wanting to yield and Hot Pie always talking about food and Arya being annoyed with them. The humor in Hot Pie making animal noises to lure animals to them and failing at it.
Arya refusing to leave without burying Yoren.

In contrast, there isn't anything I'm missing from Tyrion's chapters or anyone else's. Only Arya's.

Any of this is more important I would say than the brothel scene from last week, Renly kissing Loras, Margarey attempting to have sex with Renly, and Sansa bitching at Shae.

It's due to the changes they made, but it's really undercutting some of the bite Arya has. Not that it's altogether bad, maybe it's good they paint Arya with slightly more vulnerability so that when she makes her transformation it has more punch.

I am really excited to see Harrenhal though. Can't wait to see the shot of that behemoth.

Who called Brienne a whore? She's so sheepish about sexuality that she literally wears a suit of armor to keep people at a distance. I can't imagine anyone who read the books would say that...

I agree 100%. I like the show for what it is, but I still can't help but feel disappointed that I am missing out on the visual of a (as of yet) no bullshit preteen survivalist who knows how to take care of herself and is seemingly willing to make choices that any mature adult would struggle with.

Magni

I wondered the same thing, but it may have been a case of Ghost not thinking Snow was in real danger to begin with. If it's like Bran's wolf, it does as it pleases at night apparently.

Yeah that makes sense I guess.

His direwolf was sleeping, it was the middle of the night.

Sarcasm?

He meets a female Direwolf and is too busy telling her his life story during sex to realize Jon is in trouble

:lololol

On the show they are only around when they need to be shown. I just assume they are always off hunting.

Well, I didn't mean "why wasn't he on screen?" but "why didn't he intervene?"

cj_iwakura

Am I the only one who thinks Littlefinger is being made a chump in the show? I always felt like he was in control in the books, but in the show, everyone's running circles around him, it seems like.

At least in Season 2.

Randdalf

The only thing missing from the Pycelle scene was him pissing himself everywhere, would have been hilarious. Although they are changing events from the books, they aren't drastically altering them or the overall plotline, just condensing them so they can fit inside a single season. This implies that it's definitely a good decision, in terms of a faithful adaption, that they split ASOS into two seasons. I do think that in the next episode
Davos and Melisandre won't infiltrate Storm's End but some other generic castle. Talking of locations, why on earth was Dragonstone in the title sequence? Renly should be at Bitterbridge, then rush back to Storm's End once he learns that Stannis has sieged it.

apana

Here is a behind the scenes video explaining that scene with Arya and Yoren and talking about their relationship (possible spoilers, I am not sure):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zMzKLFBvOg&feature=channel&list=UL

This one is Sophie Turner (Sansa) explaining her relationship with the queen through this season:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=UL7zMzKLFBvOg&feature=endscreen&NR=1&v=i89_0H2PDmU

That guy has uploaded some other interesting videos, including one describing the relationship between Tyrion and Shae and George talking about the history of the realm.

edit: I'd love to see more interviews with Bran and at least one with Conleth Hill who plays Varys. That guy gives no interviews. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom