• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil Community |OT2| Best Fans Ever!

How strong are the chances of this having replay value akin to the rest of the series? We know of Madhouse Mode, which has only been detailed to have limited saves.

I can see invisible enemy making a return, but I'm not sure if timed runs for X weapon will be as feasible as they were in past titles.

OniBaka

Depends on what unlockables you can get, kinda bummed that there won't be costumes. Maybe they have unlockable costumes for the stalkers.

Jawmuncher

Honestly, with the way the game is being presented. I don't see their being much replay value outside of trying to get all of the trophies.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
How strong are the chances of this having replay value akin to the rest of the series? We know of Madhouse Mode, which has only been detailed to have limited saves.

I can see invisible enemy making a return, but I'm not sure if timed runs for X weapon will be as feasible as they were in past titles.

I mean, we won't know until we know, but what we do know right now outside of Madhouse Mode for replayability is...

01.) the game will have unlockable weapons. An early interview confirmed this.

02.) It was confirmed in a recent interview there are randomized features to the game. How the Baker's wander the house isn't scripted but done by AI, but it was also confirmed certain scenes, events, scares, etc., trigger on different playthroughs to help keep things fresh, someone might go into a part of the game prepared for a scare or scene they know about and it never comes, and a part in a previous playthrough nothing happened in suddenly Jack may come bursting through the wall or something. Apparently some of these spots change per playthrough.

Not much more has been said outside of this, but Capcom are going the silent route for a lot of RE7 and all that.

Foxxsoxx

Just finished REmake for the first time. Jesus that was an experience, can't wait for REmake 2.

I see a lot of mixed responses about RE0, worth it no?

kc44135

I mean, we won't know until we know, but what we do know right now outside of Madhouse Mode for replayability is...

01.) the game will have unlockable weapons. An early interview confirmed this.

02.) It was confirmed in a recent interview there are randomized features to the game. How the Baker's wander the house isn't scripted but done by AI, but it was also confirmed certain scenes, events, scares, etc., trigger on different playthroughs to help keep things fresh, someone might go into a part of the game prepared for a scare or scene they know about and it never comes, and a part in a previous playthrough nothing happened in suddenly Jack may come bursting through the wall or something. Apparently some of these spots change per playthrough.

Not much more has been said outside of this, but Capcom are going the silent route for a lot of RE7 and all that.

I thought it was confirmed or at least mentioned somewhere that we'd be getting multiple endings in RE7, and different routes to take through the game, choices to make, etc. RE1/REmake style? Could've sworn I read that somewhere. I'd be a bit disappointed if that wasn't the case, as I thought that was probably the coolest aspect of the demo, and it would certainly give the game quite a bit of replay value.

dlauv

I thought it was confirmed or at least mentioned somewhere that we'd be getting multiple endings in RE7, and different routes to take through the game, choices to make, etc. RE1/REmake style? Could've sworn I read that somewhere. I'd be a bit disappointed if that wasn't the case, as I thought that was probably the coolest aspect of the demo, and it would certainly give the game quite a bit of replay value.

Yeah, with four different
final bosses
depending. That's some dedication to single player.

kc44135

final bosses

Wow, really!? That sounds like some pretty great replay value right there, I think. I really loved the different scenarios, endings, etc. in the older RE games, and really old school Survival Horror games in general. Glad to hear that stuff is back in 7.

Plasma

Banned
I still think they'll eventually get around to it, but might be lower on their priorities list. Umbrella Chornicles, Darkside Chronicles, and most notably Code Veronica still need to come to PC.

They really need to take these two games and give them VR support.

Just finished REmake for the first time. Jesus that was an experience, can't wait for REmake 2.

Zero is good, but just be prepared for going down a notch from REMake. It doesn't have near the level of design as that game. It also has an extremely frustrating inventory system (no item boxes, so you have to drop and re-pick up items), and a half-assed co-op system.

Dusk Golem

Zero is good, but just be prepared for going down a notch from REMake. It doesn't have near the level of design as that game. It also has an extremely frustrating inventory system (no item boxes, so you have to drop and re-pick up items), and a half-assed co-op system.

Basically this, but it's not a bad game, just one of the weaker 'classic' RE's. Its definite strongest point, especially for the HD Remaster, is that the game is ridiculously pretty. It's probably the best looking classic survival-horror game.

final bosses

I haven't heard that one, but it's likely that the rumored
morality system
will dictate quite a bit of the direction. It came from the same source detailing Camille and some other things that have since come out.

RE is like one of the few if not the only series that can go through these different changes and each style will find it's own fanbase. I don't think any other series can get away with the stuff RE gets away with. As long as it has guns, and monsters it's considered RE by Capcom.

With that said, I'm liking how 7 is shaping up. I'm just not feeling how scripted the game feels in the demo, but maybe the full game won't feel like that.

RE is like one of the few if not the only series that can go through these different changes and each style will find it's own fanbase. I don't think any other series can get away with the stuff RE gets away with. As long as it has guns, and monsters it's considered RE by Capcom.

With that said, I'm liking how 7 is shaping up. I'm just not feeling how scripted the game feels in the demo, but maybe the full game won't feel like that.

Beginning Hour, despite how well it turned out in the end, was a misstep IMO for selling the game. I get the secrecy and drip feed, but the gameplay and it's flow shouldn't have been a part of that.

dlauv

Oh, I forgot I said something.

It was in that Hobby Consolas. Reading it again, Jawmuncher is no doubt right in that it's a mistranslation.

"The members of the Baker family will suddenly appear to give us a lot of jump scares. But we will also find some viscous monsters called Holograms and of course final bosses. We have seen 3 and in one of them we can face it using our car."

After all of the previews that came out the day after the Consolas article, we know that they've faced
three bosses
and used a
car
in one of them.

BTails

I'm totally fine with Multiple Endings. My first playthrough of the game will be in VR anyway, without any guide or walkthrough. I'll definitely be playing through it again without the headset though, so any extra incentive to do so is just gravy.

kc44135

Oh, I forgot I said something.

It was in that Hobby Consolas. Reading it again, Jawmuncher is no doubt right in that it's a mistranslation.

"The members of the Baker family will suddenly appear to give us a lot of jump scares. But we will also find some viscous monsters called Holograms and of course final bosses. We have seen 3 and in one of them we can face it using our car."

After all of the previews that came out the day after the Consolas article, we know that they've faced
three bosses
and used a
car
in one of them.

Damn, would've been pretty cool. I still at least hope that multiple endings will be a thing.

Jawmuncher

I could see multiple endings still being in. But more than likely very small changes like RE1 had. With only one actually being canon.

Spinky

Salty

as

fuck about the Australian Collector's Edish.

https://ebgames.com.au/ps4-224026-Resident-Evil-VII-Biohazard-Collectors-Edition-PlayStation-4

224026_detail_01_1000.jpg

Purely because I really, really want that box art. And I wasn't even gonna buy this on PS4 originally.

Goddammit.

EDIT: It's lenticular too...

Fuck........

BTails

That AUS Collector's Edition comes with RE4 as well... Neat pack-in, though you'd have to assume that most people willing to shell out for the giant collector's edition would be big enough fans of the franchise that they'd already own RE4
multiple times too, like the rest of us!

Jawmuncher

Watching the unboxing video, I don't think I'm gonna get the CE. It's just too much for my blood. If it was like 150 and included the season pass I'd consider it.

But the house is really the only cool thing to have, and we don't even know how memorable a locale that'll be yet. Feels like they were forced to me a CE and were only given the original reveal and demo to work with.

The creepy note is all kinds of worthless, and while the fake VHS box is interesting. Can't think of much need for that and a USB drive. Really jealous of the other region CEs getting a hardcover art book. Dunno why the us got shafted on that.

Watching the unboxing video, I don't think I'm gonna get the CE. It's just too much for my blood. If it was like 150 and included the season pass I'd consider it.

But the house is really the only cool thing to have, and we don't even know how memorable a locale that'll be yet. Feels like they were forced to me a CE and were only given the original reveal and demo to work with.

The creepy note is all kinds of worthless, and while the fake VHS box is interesting. Can't think of much need for that and a USB drive. Really jealous of the other region CEs getting a hardcover art book. Dunno why the us got shafted on that.

Can't be said enough that for having good nothing to do with RE7, Beginning Hour gets a ton of focus.

Dusk Golem

A pretty big Resident Evil community known as Biohazard France was invited on December 7th to Capcom Europe to play RE7, and they have a slew of new details being RE fans who were given the chance to play a segment of the game. Full preview (in French) here: http://www.biohazardfrance.net/forum/viewtopic.php?p=103741#p103741

And the new details:

-Though the game has a 'progression flow' that's been confirmed, IE you walk to new locations and transition like in the older RE games, there is something of a chapter system, probably to help divide progress. The section of the game they played was a bit from Chapter 3. Apparently this is the segment most journalist played recently, as Chapter 3 starts off with the Baker Dinner Table scene.

-Interesting callback, there is a Newspaper Article about the rumors surrounding the Baker Plantation written by Alyssa Ashcroft, who was a playable reporter from Resident Evil Outbreak.

-Likewise, you can find a document signed by Clive O'Brian (from the first Resident Evil Revelations game)

-The trailer vehicle is apparently the 'shop' in the game, you can collect Old Coins from around the game, and use them to purchase permanent upgrades (either to skills like accuracy or health increase, etc.), or even new weapons (like a magnum is available in the section of the game they played). Trailer is also said to follow you through the game to different locations as the shop.

-You can find inventory slot upgrades for your backpack to give you more inventory space.

-To get the Shotgun, you need to solve an optional puzzle.

-Apparently there are insect enemies in the second location, smaller than typical RE fair but they do come at you, sometimes alone and sometimes in swarms. These include Bees, Spiders, & Centipedes.

-You can sharpen some weapons to give them increased piercing powers.

-There's different types of grenades you can craft from chemicals, including a sort of poison cloud grenade and a incendiary grenade.

-You can develop photos that show the locations of hidden treasures around the place.

-Lockpicks can be used to open up certain doors for shortcuts around the house, drawers and lockers with supplies in them, and such things.

-Every time you complete an objective, the telephone will ring for a bit for more dialogue with the mysterious caller who will reveal a bit more and give a clue for progression.

-You have a map in the game that your character updates details about as you progress ala Silent Hill.

-There is a classic "Item hidden in bathtub" scene.

-There is documents talking about the corruption of a local church and a hospital investigating into the weird mold around the city of Dulvey, Louisiana and its medical properties. Maybe we'll end up going to this church and hospital? There was also a note about a crashed boat which was stranded after a storm, and we already know we're going to that location in the game.

-You can find broken weapons that can be repaired.

-Apparently everything we've seen from the game so far is all from Chapter 3, they haven't shown anything outside of chapter 3, and even with that we haven't seen all of Chapter 3.

Spinky

-Apparently everything we've seen from the game so far is all from Chapter 3, they haven't shown anything outside of chapter 3, and even with that we haven't seen all of Chapter 3.

Fucking knew it.

...As did a bunch of other people, but still, called it.

Ralemont

not me
I'm still going to try and wait on PSVR to play RE7 for the first time but all the positive press is making it difficult, haha.

Akiller

Fucking knew it.

...As did a bunch of other people, but still, called it.

Yeah, imo Capcom is advertising only the Baker part because they are following the "back to the roots" marketing plan , but i suspect shit will get more modern RE like after the Baker "arc".

So first half=mansion,Bakers. Spooky.

Second half=out of the mansion,more adventure and action-y

?

BTails

Resident Evil games always have a ton of differing locales, even going back to the original, which had the lab sections after the Mansion. It's one of the things I love about the game, each one feels like a big adventure with a linear progression through a lot of awesome locations.

It allows us to discuss the games easier too: how many times has someone singled out the Castle in RE4 as amazing, or talked about how they hated the Antarctic Base in Code Veronica? And the marketing has never capitalized on this, it only ever really features one environment: RE4 is Village, Code Veronica is Prison, RE0 is Train, RE5 African Village, etc...

Dusk Golem

Resident Evil games always have a ton of differing locales, even going back to the original, which had the lab sections after the Mansion. It's one of the things I love about the game, each one feels like a big adventure with a linear progression through a lot of awesome locations.

It allows us to discuss the games easier too: how many times has someone singled out the Castle in RE4 as amazing, or talked about how they hated the Antarctic Base in Code Veronica? And the marketing has never capitalized on this, it only ever really features one environment: RE4 is Village, Code Veronica is Prison, RE0 is Train, RE5 African Village, etc...

The marketing that was really silly to me was Revelations 2 and the Prison. The Prison was in maybe over half of Revelations 2's marketing materials, despite the game having actually a pretty broad range of locations (the prison is only the first one), and I'd even say the Prison by far being the worst location in the game.

Well the train is the only good level in RE0 so that one makes sense, at least.

I actually quite liked the church and the torture chambers, personally.

Yeah, imo Capcom is advertising only the Baker part because they are following the "back to the roots" marketing plan , but i suspect shit will get more modern RE like after the Baker "arc".

So first half=mansion,Bakers. Spooky.

Second half=out of the mansion,more adventure and action-y

?

It'll probably go:

Hour 1: Baker House aka Beginning Hour locale

Hour 2-3: Dulvey Plantation

Hour 4-5: Plantation Groundshouse

Thereafter I think:

Return to Dulvey Plantation

Church grounds

City of Dulvey/Dulvey Police Department

(Highway transition action)

Manufacturing Plant (Formerly Umbrella's under a shell name), which is destroyed and Ethan knocked into the bay.

Bay area/Swamp

(BSAA arrives)

Dulvey General Hospital

Lab (under hospital)

Not necessarily that order. For example, what I believe is a manufacturing plant may be a drill rig in the gulf and possibly necessitate it as an end game area due to the distance from the rest.

However, I wouldn't expect a huge switch up from horror. You'll still be hunted in some areas outside the Plantation. The game play loop will stay intact. Themes will have to be kept consistent for the sake of both the narrative and gameplay.

However, the capabilities of Ethan will grow quite a bit to where it'll get closer to RE2/3 territory. And there will be more action segments like the highway.

Jawmuncher

I would love even a small section of the game to just be all out action.
Kinda like older RE games where by the end you have a lot of ammo built up and just start killing everything.

Akiller

I would love even a small section of the game to just be all out action.
Kinda like older RE games where by the end you have a lot of ammo built up and just start killing everything.

Well it is confirmed that there will be an upgrade system so i'd think we'll end up being a bit over powered in the final parts.

So, we think all four Bakers are just in one section of the game? That would be...kind of weird to me? I dunno why, just feels like they've been such an important part of the marketing to be in such a small role overall like that.

Dusk Golem

So, we think all four Bakers are just in one section of the game? That would be...kind of weird to me? I dunno why, just feels like they've been such an important part of the marketing to be in such a small role overall like that.

I don't think so, I think for instance Jack probably isn't just at the beginning of the game. And no one said that they couldn't work together as a family either.

Does anyone have an idea of just how different the two Japanese versions are? Or whether or not you can "unlock" an the CERO Z content via DLC?

The Cero D box art looks a little better ...

Jawmuncher

Does anyone have an idea of just how different the two Japanese versions are? Or whether or not you can "unlock" an the CERO Z content via DLC?

The Cero D box art looks a little better ...

If it's doable, you can import the GameStop physical deluxe, which has the red box art.

i think with RE7, they're considered two different games. Rather than being a DLC unlock.

Top Bottom