• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

In honor of Final Fantasy's 25th anniversary, GAF Plays: Final Fantasy games

Aeana

gFlBH.jpg

Twenty-five years ago, Final Fantasy was released for the Famicom in Japan. Its success saved a dying company and spawned a massively successful and (mostly) beloved series, launching Squaresoft into position as a giant among RPG developers. Few video game series are able to stir as much passion in the people whom it has touched, for better or for worse. Divisive as it is, everybody has a favorite, and nobody has a weak opinion on the matter. With as much passion as people have for the series, I thought it only appropriate that we re-experience the games we love so much to celebrate Final Fantasy's important birthday.

Join me in reliving the past, let's replay the Final Fantasy series together!

My current plan is to play through each game in the series in order (sans MMOs, sorry guys) before the end of the year. I would like to invite everyone here on GAF to do the same, or at least play some of your favorites. Even if you can't participate, though, feel free to watch as others play. I'll personally be documenting as much as I can through screenshots and commentary (at the very least), and hopefully others will do similarly. This isn't the first time we've done something like this, but GAF is much, much larger since last time, so this should really be quite fun.

Kokonoe

Banned
I've been wanting to do this for awhile, especially since Final Fantasy 1 is my favorite Final Fantasy. We'll see how that goes.

Scythian

Neat idea, now I'm forcing myself to actually finish my FF games :D
Do the spin-offs count? I'm guessing not, but I thought I'd ask.

Aeana

Sure they do. I won't personally be playing any of them except maybe Mystic Quest, but feel free to play whatever you want.

Based on the historical approach these have taken, it'd probably be I II III IV V VI VII VIII IX X X-2 XII XIII in that order.

Ourobolus

Banned
Isn't Mystic Quest a different series?

You're thinking of the Legend games on Game Boy - those were SaGa.

On-topic though...hm. Well, I'm playing through FFXIII again right now, so that's done. I'm gonna play FFXIII-2 as well. I'm sure we'll do the FFV Four Job Fiesta at some point in the summer, so...
I may jump in on this, but I'm not playing through FF2 again. I beat it once, that's all I needed.

Aeana

Isn't Mystic Quest a different series?

Only if you're European. Final Fantasy Adventure / Seiken Densetsu 1 was called Mystic Quest in Europe, but "Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest" is for SNES and was called Mystic Quest Legend in Europe. It was called Final Fantasy USA in Japan.

Not a bad idea. I've never even beaten XII. :x

Same here. I tried to go back to it over the summer until I realized that you can't uninvert the horizontal camera movement. That shouldn't have bothered me as much as it did, but it was annoying enough to thwart my attempts to get back into it.

You should, it's the best.

I played it for a pretty long time, and I don't remember why I stopped. I really liked what I played, though, and I don't even like ATB.

I've always known about the FF series and I've played parts of quite a few of them, but last year I decided to play a few of them from start to finish for the very first time. Here's what I thought about each of the ones I've finished so far:

FF1 - Loved it. Fairly simple and straightforward story with tons of exploring around the world.
FF2 - Didn't enjoy the change in tone. Everyone was constantly dying. I didn't like the leveling system at first but grew to like it by the end of the game.
FF3 - Didn't like it. Huge spike in difficulty at the final place(s). "Characters" pretty much didn't exist.
FF4 - Heard lots of praise for this one so I went in with some expectations. Much more characterization than the others up until this point, but I kind of hated everyone. Story wasn't really deep like I had been lead to believe. Again, big spike in difficulty at the end which I wasn't a fan of. My least favorite so far.
FF5 - This is where I'm at now. So far this has been my favorite one since the first one. Character dialogue is funny and I for the most part like them all. Also a plus, the story hasn't been convoluted like 4! (yet? maybe this will change...)

So that's as far as I've gotten. Hopefully I can finish 5 and 6 (which I've also heard good this about) this year around all the new games coming out. Happy anniversary FF!

Michan

Most of the FF titles are discounted on the EU PSN store, so I'm thinking about picking a couple up. However, I've heard about loading problems and blurriness?

Aeana

I'm about to start FF1, most likely the PSP version just because it's what's most easily accessible to me at the moment, and the version I've played least.

I would like to record or stream some of my own playthroughs for this. Do they have 20foot+ composite cables?

Edit-I guess they do.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
I'm cool with this. I'll try to put some time into a playthrough of FFII soon. :D

Or FFV. Hmmm.

Edit: What'd be pretty neat is if someone (I guess I'll volunteer myself if no one else is willing) keeps track of which games are played, and how many times GAF plays the game, much like how the GAF Plays: Zelda Series thread worked last year. Edit: unless we're doing this kinda thing in order.

Vamphuntr

I should start XII: International now that I've finally finished Monado.

Yup, as XII int is a much better game!

I finished replaying FFIV DS tonight. I didn't do it because of the 25th anniversary of the series though. I needed to beat the game to unlock a challenge on a website I visit >.>

FFIV is probably my favorite edition of FFIV. The graphics are not so great but the gameplay is so much better. The bosses are much more challenging and they have all new patterns. For instance, Cagnazzo now silences you so that you can't use Thunder to break his tidal wave. The final level was brutal, I used the Safety Travel ability all the way on the lower floors where battles deplete your MP quickly. Augment system is really nice too. It's basically some sort of reimagining of the party change of the GBA version. While you can't switch members at the end of the game, you can give the ability they had to other members after they leave your group.

Good luck to those attempting to beat FFII without using tricks (no hitting your own guys, no cancelling commands to level up magic quickly).

I'll probably join in when the thread is doing FF5/FF6.

You could always emulate them. You should easily be able to run the first 9 games.

Yeah, but I like playing them on gaming systems and tube tvs. Just a quirk I have I guess. I have a crt with an output and my computer has the composite input. So I can stream that way, but my computer and crt just aren't right next to each other.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
Good luck to those attempting to beat FFII without using tricks (no hitting your own guys, no cancelling commands to level up magic quickly).
This is probably the most boring way to play FFII, imo (ie: hitting your party members to level up stats, I mean). Play the game naturally and it's far more enjoyable that way.

Aeana

Yup, as XII int is a much better game!

I finished replaying FFIV DS tonight. I didn't do it because of the 25th anniversary of the series though. I needed to beat the game to unlock a challenge on a website I visit >.>

FFIV is probably my favorite edition of FFIV. The graphics are not so great but the gameplay is so much better. The bosses are much more challenging and they have all new patterns. For instance, Cagnazzo now silences you so that you can't use Thunder to break his tidal wave. The final level was brutal, I used the Safety Travel ability all the way on the lower floors where battles deplete your MP quickly. Augment system is really nice too. It's basically some sort of reimagining of the party change of the GBA version. While you can't switch members at the end of the game, you can give the ability they had to other members after they leave your group.

I'll probably join in when the thread is doing FF5/FF6.

It's not that hard! Particularly if you get the extra money in the swamp at the start and then go to Mysidia to buy fire spears. I honestly don't really enjoy the game playing it the cheap way, although I do admit that I do use anti a bit on people at the start just to raise their MP a tad, but after that I play 100% normally.

I am definitely joining in on this, starting with XIII-2 next week. I'll have to get a PS2 for X, X-2, and XII, but it'll be well worth it.

Won't be doing it in order, though. I'm waaay too impatient for that. xD

I've got my copy of IV Complete Collection sitting around on my PSP half-finished, so I'll finish that up and start After Years for the first time. I may or may not play a few spin-offs while I'm at it. Mainly the Tactics games/Dissidia.

I'll have to buy III DS and V GBA as well, though those will be well worth it.

Aeana

Im down for this... Which version FF1 and FF2 are the ones to play, the gba or psp ones?

I would say the PSX versions are the best versions to play in terms of proper balance. The GBA and PSP versions are much easier, which I guess is a positive for some, but in FF2 it can actually cause problems because your spells level up SO fast that you end up leveling them too high and they cost too much MP.

rataven

XIII-2 is up first, of course, but after that wraps, I'll probably pick a few choice FFs to replay and join ya all. I have an urge to run through II, and V, VII, and XII never get old.

I'm finally playing through Final Fantasy VI (GBA version). I have started it numerous times, and have the SNES cart (FFIII) even, but I have never finished it.

Just what I need. Another thread reminding me that FF12 is unplayable on my PS3.

Fuck you sony......fuck you. (my ps2 died a week after I got 12.....never did get more than 10 hours in)

I guess now would be a good as time as any to play the PSP remake of IV that I haven't touched since it's release week. Maybe I'll give II and III a try, too.

Well, this is convenient. I bought the iOS version of FF1 a while back and started it up a few days ago (I'm one of those horrible people who hasn't played any FF earlier than 7). Just finished the Cavern of Earth.

i'll be playing 13-2 in when it comes out, does that count? i also just beat 6 for the first time ever just last week! i really felt it was an amazing game and if i had played that in 1994 or 1995 i would have been even more amazed, seriously, even though it's on the snes it's a very cinematic game.

after i beat 13-2 i'll probably finish up my dragon quest and radiant historia rendezvous and then i want to really play through the series, so i wanna figure out what versions of each game i should play.

i was thinking of going through 1 and 2 through the PSN versions but i'm not yet sure of how to play 3, 4 and 5 for that matter. does anyone have any experience with the ds versions of 3 and 4 that could attest to their quality? i was also thinking of playing through the PSN version of 5 but i don't really know what the loading times are like, people always complain about how bad the loading times are on those ports, so i was just wondering how bad they really are and if people are just over exaggerating.

edit: apparently 4 is also on psn? would it be advised to play that port over 4ds?

Knowing me, I'll be spending the bulk of my time with XIII-2, XII, and X with the rest of the series coming waaay later in the year. I'd be fine with this, though. I don't really have any set rules on which titles in particular I have to finish, though I'd prefer to get through VIII and Tactics: War of the Lions at least, seeing as I've never finished those two.

V as well, I guess. I've beaten the main game before, but the Sealed Temple whupped me last time I played.

Dark Schala

Eloquent Princess
The GAF Plays thread is completely valid for entire anniversary year, right? So no time limit or anything?

I think I'll go all-portable (at least, for the games which allow it) since that'll faciliate finishing the games off quickly.

i was thinking of going through 1 and 2 through the PSN versions but i'm not yet sure of how to play 3, 4 and 5 for that matter. does anyone have any experience with the ds versions of 3 and 4 that could attest to their quality? i was also thinking of playing through the PSN version of 5 but i don't really know what the loading times are like, people always complain about how bad the loading times are on those ports, so i was just wondering how bad they really are and if people are just over exaggerating.
FFV PSX's loading times are no exaggeration and the translation's hilarious
ly bad

The DS version of FFIII is ok. It isn't anything special, and after a replay, I started to prefer the original Famicom version more. If you don't have access to the other version, the DS version is a passable effort (system-wise).

The DS version of FFIV has the best ability system out of all of the versions of FFIV. They ramped up the difficulty and the augment system was what that game truly needed to make the battle/ability system less blah. If you're a traditionalist, though, the FFIV Complete Collection version isn't bad (but it's really easy).

Vamphuntr

It's not that hard! Particularly if you get the extra money in the swamp at the start and then go to Mysidia to buy fire spears. I honestly don't really enjoy the game playing it the cheap way, although I do admit that I do use anti a bit on people at the start just to raise their MP a tad, but after that I play 100% normally.

There is actually another trick I used to get powerful early on. If you level up Mindu's swap spell it's actually possible to beat the Imperial Soliders in Fynn. Just kill Mindu, revive him at the church and cast swap on them. If the spell works then you can finish the soldier with a magic spell. They randomly drops lot of stuff like Flame Bows, Gold Armors and good black magics. You can also sell these loots for lot of Gil. It might be annoying though as sometimes they drop nothing and you also need to go back to the village to revive Mindu. Not sure if it works in every version either.

I would do this, but this seems to be what I have been doing for god knows how many years. Currently replaying...FF I PS1, II PS1, III DS, IV DS, V PS1, VI Wii VC, VII, VIII, IX, and just started XII International on PCSX 2. Also finished up my final replay of FF XIII for quite a while last night. To be honest these games are becoming real time traps for me. I love them to death but I always start playing them again to find something new. I keep telling myself to play new games but these beloved Final Fantasies keep pulling me in. It's an odd combination of nostalgia and pure addiction. And for me it's gotta stop.

So I guess I will stick to what I haven't really played much (or any) of. FF XII ZJS, FF XIII-2, FF Sky Bearers, FF XII Revnaunt Wings, FF Tactics and A2, Dissidia 012, FF 4 Heroes Of Light. If I keep doing the replays like I have been doing I will never see anything new lol.

As much as I hate to say it, I wouldn't really enjoy replaying a lot of the earlier Final Fantasy games. Final Fantasy 6 is my favorite game in the series, but it's fairly slow at the start and the gameplay is fairly basic until the introduction of espers. However, I did replay Final Fantasy 9 relatively recently and it was fantastic.

Chocoboko

This is actually a really great idea, and something I have personally been wanting to do for awhile. I think I will join in.

I think I will start from 1 and work my way up as best I can. I will probably stick just to the main numbered titles.

I would like to record or stream some of my own playthroughs for this. Do they have 20foot+ composite cables?

Awesome.

Im down for this... Which version FF1 and FF2 are the ones to play, the gba or psp ones?

The "version of FF1 to play" is the version from FF Origins (which maintains the original gameplay, minus a few fixes), but unfortunately it's not available on PSN in the US. I find the pixel art in the GBA version more attractive but either version will do you fine.

i'll be playing 13-2 in when it comes out, does that count?

People should definitely play XIII-2 and feel free to mention it in here, but out of respect both for people avoiding spoilers and our general discussion policy, talk about playing that game specifically should probably go in the game's |OT|.

does anyone have any experience with the ds versions of 3 and 4 that could attest to their quality?

FFIII is a bit of an awkward game no matter how you play it. I personally much prefer the DS version but Aeana is the exact opposite; the two versions are mechanically similar but balanced very differently in ways that have both ups and downs.

FFIV is fantastic; it completely revamps the mechanics of the original and replaces a ton of mechanical flatness with a great set of new systems devised by Itou himself. I adore it and recommend it unambiguously. (It is also -- compared to the FF baseline at least -- hard as balls, so prepare yourself if you do play it.)

Top Bottom