• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Famitsu reveals brand new info on Dark Souls (Demon's Souls spiritual sequel)

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
Sounds excellent so far. I'm sad to see the tendencies go, as they added a layer of strategy and re-playability, but I'll take free exploration and a seamless world over it. Have they confirmed what game engine they'll be using? I'm sure it won't be PhyreEngine, but I hope they retain most of the visual style with vastly improved graphics.

Enhanced physics would be most welcomed too! I don't wanna drag any more feather-light corpses through mile-long corridors (but won't deny that they added to the eerie feel of the game).

Biggest thing is trying to summon a friend and I get invaded or vice versa. From just needs to make it easier to co-op if your friends have the game so they don't get summoned by a stranger when your trying to summon them. If there is no voice chat, then make more emotes. Make it faster to emote to another player. Kind of meh on the idea of role playing and removal of soul tendency. I'll tell my friend about it when we play DS later tonight heh. I had done my fair share of hand holding other noobs in this game, so an easy mode would be nice for them. Definitely looking forward to it.

Yoboman

World tendency was great, it could've used some work making it more intergrated and obvious rather than dropping entirely

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Where's Astrosurfing?

GREAT news!

Smack Fu

This game more than any other game I so Hyped for. I tri-platted DS, and will get the 360 and PS3 version for this (and if its different trophies/achievements again, the asian and EU versions as well)

1stStrike

Banned
Whoa, wtf, why haven't I heard of this until now? I played the shit out of Demon's Souls (except I had the asian version). I not only want this, but I want the US version this time so I can actually play with my friends on PSN lol.

asa

Yes! Will buy two! (as I did with DS)

Demon's souls certainly had that "mature" zelda feeling, if Dark Souls takes even bigger leap to that direction it can only mean good things...

elfinke

Fantastic news - thanks for sharing!

It sounds great, although I loved LOVED the nexus and the pseudo-linearity of DS and am part apprehensive part disappointed to hear about the 'you can go there if you can see it' mantra.

Having said that, I'm confident From will make it happen. As long as the don't dumb any part of it down, all will be swell. <insert witty and poignant DS quote>

MYE

I really need to finish Demon's Souls. Love the game.

Dunno about the no hub-world mechanic. I loved how that worked in DS.
Anyway, i just hope they add more armour/weapon sets. Seriously, alot more.

Foffy

Banned
- Instead all maps in the game will be linked seamlessly in a connected world. The pace of the game will feel more about exploration and discovering locations, which you can then go inside into a dungeon or whatever and explore the interior further.

Back to the traditional King's Field approach, I see. :3

Foffy said:
- Instead all maps in the game will be linked seamlessly in a connected world. The pace of the game will feel more about exploration and discovering locations, which you can then go inside into a dungeon or whatever and explore the interior further.

Back to the traditional King's Field approach, I see. :3

I think that is a good thing. Exploration is always the coolest part of any RPG IMHO and is a bit neglected by most (RPGs). The Elder Scrolls series has always been good at this.

Foffy

Banned
NemesisPrime said:
I think that is a good thing. Exploration is always the coolest part of any RPG IMHO and is a bit neglected by most (RPGs). The Elder Scrolls series has always been good at this.

Heh, that's why I mentioned King's Field. That series was a series of first person JRPGs designed to look like WRPGs, and were the predecessors to Demon's Souls and Dark Souls. One of the elements of the games is they masked loading times on discs ala Metroid Prime, and for a series that was doing that from 1994/1995 on the Playstation, that's pretty impressive.

It was also harder than Demon's Souls in some areas. You can die in King's Field II within the first five seconds if you don't pay attention.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
With Bamco serving only as publisher, how much involvement or control do they have over the project itself in terms of, say: DLC?

Just like everyone else, I really appreciated the level of challenge in DS, and the following sense of reward. So I hope that doesn't change by providing me with an easy way out, like "epic armor and weapons" DLC, when those sets can be rewarded in-game after a hard challenge.

Sure, DLCs are optional, but If this game in particular keeps frustrating me, I'll eventually cave in moment of weakness.

In other words, I hope scamco doesn't ruin this.

ohh shit ohhh shiiiiiit this is the news i've been waiting for. thanks duckroll.

i'm so excited i haven't read the OP yet. i need to make it a special occasion.. maybe buy some candles and stuff, get myself in the mood and then read he new details. i can't just casually glance through them while at work!

GraveRobberX

Platinum Trophy: Learned to Shit While Upright Again.
zoukka said:
@_@

you must have no life if I "got" your message correctly.

GraveRobberX.png

@_@!

ChryZ

I loved the isolation and "against all odds" feeling of Demon's Souls. It sounds Dark Souls will crank this up a notch. Stoked!

Haunted

The Good:
duckroll said:
- This time they want to increase the amount of field exploration in the game.

- All fields are seamless, so whatever you can see, you can reach and explore. If you see a fortress or castle walls in the distance, you can eventually get there.

- There will be no map display in the game, just a position display marker.

- The game will not use the same format as Demon's Souls in terms of having 5 worlds connected via a hub.

- There will be more complex level designs in the game using more vertical design in areas and such.

- The play style of the player character will have much more freedom this time.

- There will be many more spells and items, and the animation and uniqueness of weapons will also be increased.

- There will be no Soul Tendency this time because they don't want to have to use dedicated servers to handle that shit again.
Making the game world seamless and more open instead of segmenting it into small levels sounds fantastic, as is the news about all visible terrain being traversable. Having a whole world that's as densely atmospheric as previous King's Field games is a mouth-watering prospect.

More loot and animation is good. Demon's Souls had entirely too few armour sets.

More freedom in the still class-based gameplay and no soul tendency bullshit (no more locking content away behind poorly-thought out and hidden subsystems!) are big pluses as well.

I definitely like what I'm hearing.

Indifferent:
duckroll said:
- The game does not share the same world and story as Demon's Souls.

- The world setting is based on medieval dark fantasy, and will contain themes like "high fantasy of kings and knights", "death and the depths of the earth", and "the flames of chaos".

- The character creation process will not be class based.

- The online elements are very similar to Demon's Souls. There is cooperative and PvP.

- You can still leave messages, and see players who died at various places.

- Instead this time there will be more features allowing players to engage in "mutual role playing" which they say are still under wraps. They'll reveal more when it's time.
World setting sounds like the usual King's Field stuff, I don't mind the online elements as long as I can still play offline.

The Bad:
duckroll said:
- They aim to make the game just as challenging than Demon's Souls, but also just as rewarding when you succeed. The sense of achievement is important.

- The gameplay will be similar to Demon's Souls in concept, where it's about trial and error and learning from your mistakes to play better.
I despise (stat-based) games that simply erase your progress and force you to replay long stretches of content. Here's hoping the more open approach instead of having segmented worlds will level this out and they'll implement a proper autosave/checkpoint system.

Also increase the accessability and explain the subsystems better. Forcing the player to use a FAQ to understand some of the most basic elements of the game (magic/talismans/obscure upgrade paths) was one of the things I hated about Demon's Souls.

panda21

any kind of quick saving or checkpoint system that let you 'respawn' somewhere nearby without losing progress every time you died would completely ruin the atmosphere and what makes the game fun in the first place.

sure you don't have to use it, but being forced not to is part of what makes it so good. otherwise it would take far too much will power to bother doing it.

Raide

Yeah, I don't want a quick save option. That would change how DS actually works and would make it way too easy.

Top Bottom