• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RuPaul's Drag Race Season 9 |OT| The Largest Cross-Dressing Convention of All Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rayis

I think the most enjoyable lipsync to me was the Nina VS Aja one

Also, I don't think Shea has it in the bag as much as she did after this episode, I could easily see Trinity also taking the crown.

Which is surprising to me cuz she was one of the queens who did not catch my attention at the beginning.

Shizuka

I think the most enjoyable lipsync to me was the Nina VS Aja one

Also, I don't think Shea has it in the bag as much as she did after this episode, I could easily see Trinity also taking the crown.

I bet the Sasha's winning next episode just to make it a tight decision. It'll be between a Florida queen, a Chicago queen and a Brooklyn queen

Hi friends. After seeing Katy Perry's performance on SNL it made me wonder what specifically draws people into drag and watching drag? I hope my questions isnt coming across rudely. I can see the appeal of the cool costumes and performances, but i was wondering if there were other things i was missing

Personally, when it comes to Drag Race, it's the mix of talent (what they have to do every week is unbelievable) and creativity on how to transform oneself for a concept and look and how that look is execute. The couture of it all.

Sometimes I'm just floored at what these girls do.

Hi friends. After seeing Katy Perry's performance on SNL it made me wonder what specifically draws people into drag and watching drag?
This probably applies to a lot of other folks as well, but I'm mostly speaking for myself.
What draws me to drag (specifically drag queens) as a gender-nonconforming queer man is:
-The gender-conformity/effeminacy. Growing up, all of the images that I ever saw of fem/effeminate men were incredibly negative. And anytime I attempted to express femininity I was threatened or punished in some way.
So for me it's been incredibly awesome and super inspiring to see glamorous confident, crossdressing queer men do incredibly awesome stuff and be celebrated for their various (and "unmanly") skills and talents.
-The fashion and beauty. What can I say? I love pretty makeup, I love a pair cute sky-high pumps (10+ points if they're hot pink or sparkle), I love big beautiful hair, I love pretty dresses (10+ points if they sparkle), and I love love LOVE super long acrylic/fake nails.
It's my aesthetic. I follow a lot of queens on instagram simply because they're fashionistas/beauty gurus.
- The performances. Watching a queen literally embody the lady singing the song as they dance, slink, and twirl about is absolutely magical. Plus it's fun to lip sync and it's easy to relate to a queen who's just killing on stage, you can practically feel how much fun she's having.
-The comedy. Most queens aren't funny or even trying to be, but a lot of comedy queens are really quick witted and manage to bring a whole new perspective to comedy as queer fem/crossdressing men. Plus, it's always super fun to watch a queen "read' (it's basically a term for highly exaggerated criticism/ribbing) other queens without being off-putting or really bitchy.
- the artistry/theatrical nature of it. Some queens are WORKS OF ART. it's amazing, they'd be show stoppers at museums.

When it specifically comes to RPDR itself though I'm drawn to it because:
- It's funny.
- It's campy.
- its got a lot of delicious drama.
- It's got a diverse assortment of awesome queer men with varying personalities and skin colors.
- It introduces the world to a myriad of beautiful and talented queens.
- there are actual sincere moments we're we get to see these queens cry and be vulnerable.
- And it's pretty damn inclusive, which is always a plus.

Btw folks, we do have an OT for drag, crossdressing, and gender-nonconformity. Anybody with questions like this could always hop in there and ask.
Plus I think it's a great place to talk about everything drag that isn't specifically related to RPDR.
I gushed over Farrah Moan quite often in that thread before she was on season 9. haha

Razmos

Rizzo is a damn cutey.

And yeah Ru's look was great this episode.

Really surprised that Nina didn't know how to sew, that made her leaving a lot easier to swallow

Shea being in the bottom 2 beneath Alexis was a goddamn fucking joke though. Seriously?
I'm still angry at Roxxy getting as far as she did and Alexis just needs to go already

kirblar

Rizzo is a damn cutey.

And yeah Ru's look was great this episode.

Really surprised that Nina didn't know how to sew, that made her leaving a lot easier to swallow

Shea being in the bottom 2 beneath Alexis was a goddamn fucking joke though. Seriously?
I'm still angry at Roxxy getting as far as she did and Alexis just needs to go already
It explained a lot about why she was only paying attention to her face.

Shea was B2 cause she let her crewmember go out on stage looking super fucked up. Completely deserved, she was never getting eliminated here unless she pulled a Valentina.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I'm going to miss all the various versions of Nina's name.
I thought Ru's last spin on her name (Andre Charles) was so sweet. But I'm not gonna Miss Nina's personality. I agree with Peppermint on untucked when she said "I don't wanna spend the next 30 mina to pick Nina up." Even in her exit she had a few ungraceful/ungrateful moments.

I'm also ready for Alexis to go next. She's a talker and it's mostly about herself. Bitch, shut up and stop overwhelming the conversation.

Edit: Btw, when did Nina turn her Instagram into private?

Nina didn't take Ru's advice at the end of the last episode, "Never give up," but I can see how she would be discouraged lip syncing yet again for the third (?) time while also feeling guilty for failing Valentina. I think if she were up against Alexis, she would have turned it out though.

Also this was a very entertaining episode. Season 10 should just be the camera crew.

Maledict

This Sharon tea I live.

It's pretty ironic she was the last bitchy queen really, even with her underdog, "misunderstood but brilliant artist" storyline. After that all next seasons became a borefest of everyone playing nice, but I guess this is the inevitable consequence of drag going mainstream.

Sharon was the last bitchy queen? Darienne Lake? Bianca Del Rio?

This season has become boring without Valentina. Even more so now without Nina.

All remaining queens, sans Trinity, have a carbon paper personality.

Eggbok

Just watched the the season 2 Ru-United panel(?) from drag-con and I have to say that Tyra is so bland holy shit. She's the season 2 winner and it's almost as if she wasn't even there. How are you the winner and upstaged by literally everyone else there, like damn. If the queens from season 2 were the season 9 queens there's no way in hell Tyra would win lol.
Also wow @ Sonique, didn't even know who she was when I first saw her lol.

Just watched the the season 2 Ru-United panel(?) from drag-con and I have to say that Tyra is so bland holy shit. She's the season 2 winner and it's almost as if she wasn't even there. How are you the winner and upstaged by literally everyone else there, like damn. If the queens from season 2 were the season 9 queens there's no way in hell Tyra would win lol.
Lawd even Nicole Paige Brooks was more interesting here.

mantidor

Hi friends. After seeing Katy Perry's performance on SNL it made me wonder what specifically draws people into drag and watching drag? I hope my questions isnt coming across rudely. I can see the appeal of the cool costumes and performances, but i was wondering if there were other things i was missing

It's the big question it puts on gender and gender roles that does it for me, Rupaul used to say drag is punk rock, and it is, is a big "f*** you" to conformity, drag is like armor for queer people.

And of course the fashion is fabulous.

Sharon was the last bitchy queen? Darienne Lake? Bianca Del Rio?

I was talking about winners but you are right with Bianca, she is the exception rather than the rule. I just miss that glorious untucked drama of early seasons.

royalan

You sure about that?

4mNUMsy.jpg

Tyra would still win. Tyra was obnoxious, and as much as she denies it antagonizing the other girls WAS part of her strategy, but she won because of her laser-like focus on the competition itself and an understanding of drag and her aesthetic well beyond her years.

Tyra won for the same reason Valentina was going to if she only remembered to learn the lyrics.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches

Agreed on Valentina. Disagreed on Nina. One of the least entertaining queens off the runway. Lawd.

You sure about that?

4mNUMsy.jpg

Tyra would still win. Tyra was obnoxious, and as much as she denies it antagonizing the other girls WAS part of her strategy, but she won because of her laser-like focus on the competition itself and an understanding of drag and her aesthetic well beyond her years.

Tyra won for the same reason Valentina was going to if she only remembered to learn the lyrics.
I just disagree with Tyra winning because she had SUCH a bad attitude. The weeks she had immunity, she literally didn't even try. It annoyed me that Ru never picked up on that.

Yado

Lol if she didn't have immunity she would have tried harder and if she had to lipsync she would have outperform them. Tyra was just really good at competing, some people are good drag queens but lack what it takes to compete.

I agree with this, at least with regards to the remaining queens. My boyfriend hasn't been watching this season but he watched with me last night and the first thing he said was that all the queens seemed boring. He laughed more at the Bob and Katya Baywatch commercials than anything in the actual episode.

Shea and Sasha seem fairly talented and nice but that doesn't make for good reality TV. Peppermint hasn't done much that's interesting aside from her club kid look. Alexis is flat out terrible on top of managing to be obnoxious in the most boring way possible (and let's be real she has no chance of being in the top three). Trinity is the only one I'm really living for. Valentina fucked up bad, she would have snatched that crown if she hadn't gotten so cocky.

Shizuka

What's with Trinity saying she wanted to be the first one to win three challenges on Untucked? Did she miss Shea's score? It's funny how she tried to discredit Shea a few episodes ago by saying it was a "partnered win".

Vazra

irresponsible vagina leak
LOL on Facebook someone got mad at me for saying Alexis Michelle is basically Roxxy Andrews without the looks. This lead to the guy asking me if I can do what Alexis does and I responded "What does Alexis do? Look unpolished with many years of experience? I guess I lack the years of experience of being unpolished" and also addressed Alexis personality on the show which makes it hard to cheer for her. The guy proceeds to delete his comments and not respond anymore. Sorry but Alexis lasting this far being mediocre for most of the part is annoying.

What's up with queens giving up during lipsyncs this season. If there's been fire in the lipsyncs this season, I don't remember it. I feel like they've been an afterthought when they should be an opportunity to turn it and prove yourself - I'm thinking Alyssa etc, they ended up in the bottom several times but turned it out. Let's have some fucking action, are these girls drag queens or what, isn't this literally their gig?

Also I'm already writing Duncan/Sarge slash fiction. Owwww.

Yado

Seems like Nina didn't really have much to wear. As a crafty queen she really should have learned to sew, especially since she's been applying for years.

Shizuka

I'm done with queens not knowing how to sew. This is fucking season 9, don't you even try to get on the show if you don't know how to fucking sew.

Ratrat

I checked Tyras instagram just now and she had a picture of Morgan McMichaels with RIP. Theres a link to soundcloud but it seems to be gone.

The hell is going on with them?

Shizuka

I checked Tyras instagram just now and she had a picture of Morgan McMichaels with RIP. Theres a link to soundcloud but it seems to be gone.

The hell is going on with them?

Tyra was making a Facebook post that, among several things, mentioned Raven.

Morgan got pissed and had Tyra unbooked from a show she was also booked.

Tyra made that post.

Rumored positions of the girls on reddit. Click at your own risk but no idea if this is true.

14th Place: Jaymes Mansfield (already confirmed.)
13th Place: Kimora Blac (already confirmed.)
12th Place: Charlie Hides (already confirmed.)
11th Place: Eureka (She leaves because her injury and Ru invites her to S10) (JUST CONFIRMED)
10th Place: Aja
9th Place: Cynthia Lee Fontaine
8th Place: Farrah Moan
7th Place: Valentina
6th Place: Nina Bo'Nina Brown
5th Place: Alexis Michelle
Top Four: Trinity Taylor
Top Four: Peppermint
Top Four: Shea Couleé
Top Four: Sasha Velour
wait @ this being completely true

only thing it messed up was
aja and cynthia... cynthia went home first

royalan

wait @ this being completely true

only thing it messed up was
aja and cynthia... cynthia went home first

The only thing I don't see about this list...
is I don't see how, at this point, Peppermint lasts longer than Trinity. Trinity has been SLAYING. She's my bet to win, now.

is I don't see how, at this point, Peppermint lasts longer than Trinity. Trinity has been SLAYING. She's my bet to win, now.
Oh, I didn't consider the top four to be ranked in that list? Like I just kind of assumed anyone listed as top four was on even footing. Cus if it is ranked, I agree with you, no way that happens :p

Shizuka

We all know Peppermint is the top four contestant that'll be eliminated from the music video.

mantidor

Tyra was making a Facebook post that, among several things, mentioned Raven.

Morgan got pissed and had Tyra unbooked from a show she was also booked.

Tyra made that post.

This petty drama lol only Tyra would be so airheaded about social media to make that kind of post without realizing how it came off.

LOL on Facebook someone got mad at me for saying Alexis Michelle is basically Roxxy Andrews without the looks. This lead to the guy asking me if I can do what Alexis does and I responded "What does Alexis do? Look unpolished with many years of experience? I guess I lack the years of experience of being unpolished" and also addressed Alexis personality on the show which makes it hard to cheer for her. The guy proceeds to delete his comments and not respond anymore. Sorry but Alexis lasting this far being mediocre for most of the part is annoying.

Agree with all of this, bless you.

royalan

This petty drama lol only Tyra would be so airheaded about social media to make that kind of post without realizing how it came off.

Morgan needs to get the fuck over it and mind her own business.

And Raven and her fans need to get over the fact that she lost.

It was a little much (because I saw that post in my feed and DEFINITELY thought it was true for a second), but I'm not mad at Tyra for clapping back.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom