• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Promised Neverland (Shonen Jump) |OT| It's gonna eat you up

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think the ending of this chapter was clever. They need a guide, otherwise their chances of survival in that hostile environment (considering they are a huge group + so many young kids) would be automatically 0.

Mendrox

The whole manga is clever and plays with expectations. That's the reason I love it and hope it gets bigger and bigger around the World. It deserves it. There was not one chapter which I thought was any bad.

Mmm... I think that..
they are not in Earth, this is an alien planet and this demosn/aliens are collecting and farming humans as an elite food...

upandaway

I'm thinking maybe those demons can mimic other living beings or something? Makes more sense than the demons specifically having human and dog versions of their species too that they just mimicked them from real humans and dogs

Kyuur

I wonder why they don't want the kids eaten by anything other than themselves; is it just a pride thing or is there a tangible benefit to the consumption of humans by the creatures of this world?

Veelk

Banned
I wonder why they don't want them eaten by anything other than themselves; is it just a pride thing or is there a tangible benefit to the consumption of humans by the creatures of this world?

Hard to tell, but, for lack of other information, well, you know how Kobe beef is said (it's a myth, but lets pretend it's real) to be made from cows who were massaged every day of their lives and were made to listen to classical music to relax them to achieve the tenderest meat possible?

Imagine you're the farmer of those cows and you've been waiting and waiting for them to be ready for consumption for years and you just found out that they got lost. And now, as you're looking for them, you notice that there are some fresh wolf tracks along side the cow's.

That's how I imagine the demons are feeling right now.

Burbeting

Banned
BooThisMan.gif

I'm happy this chapter confirmed (essentially) that the series is going to stick to being a analytic strategy series.

Well it was! They set up this part to be the first actual confrontation the cast has in the outside world, and they escaped their predicament in a single chapter.

FlowersisBritish

fleurs n'est pas britannique
I didn't feel this chapter for two big reasons.

1. At first, i really dug the demon designs in this series, but maybe this si a case of overexposure where we have seen kind of a ridiculous amount of them given how far the series has come. I don't feel like there is any mystery behind them. With one look I know exactly what those dog creatures are supposed to do.

2. I loathe that kind of cliffhanger. The "oooooh somethings behind you but the reader doesn't know!" kind.

Everything else I felt fine about though, I liked how they calmed down and then calmly climbed out. And the use of an adventure book as a travel guide from now on, including the contrast of fairy tale imagery compared to what's really happening.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
This series is in such an important turning point right now. Depending on what happens next, I could see it becoming one of Jump's greatest, or a complete failure.

Kyuur

Good chapter! From what we've seen, I don't think the author will use environmental danger against the kids that much in the future. Instead we'll see them utilizing their knowledge of the environment (thanks to the book) to deal with actual threats.

I think the way we see the humanoid demons treat this bestial demon gives credence to the idea that Minerva may not even be human. Could be some lesser demon with reason to fuck over this particular tribe.

Veelk

Banned
I continuing to be amazed at how this manga maintains tension. It's pretty much constantly upping the stakes in almost every chapter, but not in a way that feels suffocating.

Jesus, this series is nuts. Every week it just gets more and more tense and yet the ways they get out of stuff seem believable. I'm really glad it took off.

LotusHD

Banned
I continuing to be amazed at how this manga maintains tension. It's pretty much constantly upping the stakes in almost every chapter, but not in a way that feels suffocating.

I felt more scared for them this chapter than nearly the entirety of them back at the farm lol

Is there any way to legally catch up with this manga? My girlfriend wanted to read it, so we checked out the first three chapters on the Viz website, but we don't normally read manga online so we're not sure what to do now. The only thing we could find is a sub to Weekly Shonen Jump, which sounds like we would just jump in at the current chapter.

Kyuur

Is there any way to legally catch up with this manga? My girlfriend wanted to read it, so we checked out the first three chapters on the Viz website, but we don't normally read manga online so we're not sure what to do now. The only thing we could find is a sub to Weekly Shonen Jump, which sounds like we would just jump in at the current chapter.

You can buy individual back-issues of WSJ on Viz for $0.99 a piece. The volumes aren't out yet so that would be your only option (also once the volumes do start releasing, they will lag behind the current chapter anyway).

Edit: Actually, the back-issues only go back so far. So it doesn't look like there is a way. I'd just sub and call it good morally.

I really wonder if Emma and the other kids can atually carry the manga from now on, in an interesting way. Guess this is the major test for the author, tbh, now that we have Norman and Ray out of the picture.

Kyuur

We're nearly 50 chapters in and I still can't shake the feeling of "so this is when shonen powers are going to show up". This chapter with the mysterious girl :lol:

Qvoth

Finally read this manga after hearing about it so long
HOOOOOOOLY FUCK
Amazing series, I shed a tear for Norman
Seriously felt anger at Isabella
Was really glad when they managed to escape

Been a long time since I care this much about a manga and characters
Truly amazing work

Big One

Banned
Ain't no telling where this is going. However I do not think these new demons are enemies or else they're REALLY screwed big time.

Yeah, me neither, but they don't have to be enemies to be dangerous.

This cliffhanger reminds me of the "Ray is the spy" one. Ray in this case thinking this is kinda malicious but in the end it isn't. For instance, if they wanted the kids for themselves they would have probably eaten them by now. If they wanted to trade them to the other demons the transaction probably would have happened by now, and judging by the reaction of the demon boss, "intruders", they aren't in good terms with this guys.

Zaru

I'd laugh so hard if these demons are this manga's equivalent of militant vegan PETA members or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom