• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Animes where you really like the English Dub?

Gravidee

Tiger & Bunny had a really good dub, and perfectly matches the setting and pre-existing English text already in the show. Gargantia's dub wasnt bad either.

-Yu Yu Hakusho
-Cowboy Bebop
-Fullmetal Alchemist (Brotherhood included, but to a lesser extent)
-Space Dandy
-Dragonball Z Kai/Super (Original Funimation dub is awful, from the script to the actual acting)
-BECK: Mongolian Chop Squad (Dub is actually better than the sub)
-Wolf's Rain
-One-Punch Man
-Baccano!

To the OP's point about My Hero Academia, Chris Sabat as All Might may go down as some of the best casting in any dub period. He absolutely nails the role.

Gravidee

-Fullmetal Alchemist (Brotherhood included, but to a lesser extent)

Al's voice was better in the original but I think everyone else got better with time. Travis Willingham was atrocious as Roy Mustang in much of the first half of the 2003 series. He had a very monotone voice and sounded like he was nonchalantly reading off of a paper. I watched the 2003 series after Brotherhood so I assumed they were using a different actor at the time but I was totally surprised when I found out it was the same person. The difference in performances was night and day.

Bishop89

It factually isn't. It's wrong on a lot of levels and gets characterization wrong and changed lines unnecessarily.

There's a reason the voices actors themselves prefer Kai. After 10-15 years of doing the same character you kind of know what the fuck they need to be.
and?

Thats like complaining the MCU isnt 100% like the comics.
Its good in its own right.

Different =/= worse.

Scavenger

I prefer subtitles over dubs as that's how most anime or just about any foreign movie/series is released in Netherlands, but that said I am really fond of the Manga Entertainment dubs of Street Fighter 2, Mad Bull 34 and Cyber City OEDO 808 with all the excessive swearing and the new soundtracks. The Dragon Ball Z Kai and the Space Dandy English dubs are also very good. DBZ Kai dub is not only a massive improvement over the old Funimation dub of DBZ, but it is also often better than the Japanese version of DBZ Kai because some of the Japanese voice actors have phoned in their performances.

arigato

The original Yu-Gi-Oh! and same goes for GX. Although, I still prefer to watch them subbed due to 4kids censorship.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
13390.jpg

Crayon_Shin-Chan_Anime.gif

VDenter

Banned
and?

Thats like complaining the MCU isnt 100% like the comics.
Its good in its own right.

Different =/= worse.

When the product in question is called Dragon Ball Z and is treated as the same product in both regions but is vastly different because of a horrible dub.Then it is objectively a bad dub no matter how much you may have liked it as a kid or do now. Its okay to like some trash but its also important to admit that the thing that you enjoy is legitimately trash. The original Funimation dub falls well into that category. The fact of the matter is many people complained about it not only now but in the earlier days of the internet when it was airing for legit reasons. Pretty much most voice actors have even admitted it was bad and cite Kai as infinitely better.

mcw

There is nothing about the dub of Macross Plus that is not awesome.

But having Bryan Cranston as Isamu was particularly awesome.

Daingurse

DBZ, FMA, and YYH especially. I think the dub for YYH is straight-up superior. Dub Yusuke is my favorite anime protagonist.

Arrrammis

Cowboy Bebop and Hunter x Hunter for me.

The Dragonball Z dub Goku is way better than the japanese voices IMO, the other characters are fine either way. But I really think that the Dragonball Z Abridged voices are all around better than the official dub or original voices.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Kenichi The Mightest Disciple
The Devil Is A Part Timer

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Tenchi Muyo is probably my favorite dub eve though there's some nostalgia mixed in there I'm sure.

Also, I like Lisa Ortiz's take on Lina Inverse as much as Megumi Hayashibara's.

Forceatowulf

G***n S**n*bi
Yu Yu Hakusho
Cowboy Bebop
Samurai Champloo
Dragon Ball Z
Trigun

I would never recommend these to anyone without mentioning how god damn good the dub's are for these beauties.

YYH is probably my favorite dub of anything ever.

Piers

I still think Naruto's is honestly fine. Major props to Kakashi's dub, as its great. Same with Might Gai.

And DBZ is worth commending in that by the time Buu saga rolled in, they were really starting to figure things out and be more faithful (back in the late 90's? Or early 2000)
And dub Vegeta's cocky lines are superior.

Azuran

Banned
Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid.

I watched the dub yesterday and it was so much more enjoyable. Actually, I find most comedies to be better dubbed because jokes are way better when you don't have to read them.

Syder

Berserk
Battle Tendency
Death Note
Gurren Lagann
Parasyte: The Maxim
Claymore
Evangelion
Dragon Ball
Digimon
Cowboy Bebop
One Piece
Attack on Titan

Nuu

Banned
Everything you described about the English Kurisu applies to the Japanese one as well, unless there's been a massive shift in direction in the anime vs. the VN (full disclosure, I am basing this assessment on her portrayal in the latter). As for Mayuri...well, yeah, she's rather ditzy. A sweet girl who has her moments of being more observant than one might expect, but still a ditz (regardless of language).

And awful new music, at least until the Buu arc (which actually has a decent soundtrack).
The problem woth Mayuri in the sub isn't that sge sounds ditzy, it's that she sounds as if she's mentally challenged.

Strimei

Al's voice was better in the original but I think everyone else got better with time. Travis Willingham was atrocious as Roy Mustang in much of the first half of the 2003 series. He had a very monotone voice and sounded like he was nonchalantly reading off of a paper. I watched the 2003 series after Brotherhood so I assumed they were using a different actor at the time but I was totally surprised when I found out it was the same person. The difference in performances was night and day.

To be fair to Travis, that was his first major VA role, so not too surprised if it was rough (though I felt his work in a certain scene (rain) was good, but that's in my memory).

Speaking of the '03 FMA, neat little thing to note, it also was one of, if not the, first roles for a certain voice actor named Troy Baker.

Korigama

The problem woth Mayuri in the sub isn't that sge sounds ditzy, it's that she sounds as if she's mentally challenged.
Sounds like a personal problem (even more difficult for me to judge your viewpoint when I have no idea if you understand Japanese in the first place, which is another hurdle to gauging voice acting in any given role).

I just finished Psycho Pass (except for the movie) and it was great dubbed. Basically the whole cast was great. Though
when I heard Sabat doing his sketchy voice in the second season, I knew what was gonna happen with that character lol

Oblivion

Fetishing muscular manly men in skintight hosery
The very first season of DBZ dubbed by the Ocean Group is probably my favorite in all of anime. Yes, the dialogue sucked in many cases, but in terms of actual voice acting and fitting the characters, the casting was excellent. In fact, finding out that Ian Corlett was voicing Goku, after realizing that he was also Mega Man, was the initial reason I gave the show a chance to begin with. And then Brian Drummond as Vegeta, Scott McNeil as Piccolo, Ted Cole as Yamcha, and so on, every one was pretty much perfect. I mean, just check out the effort Drummond put into this legendary scene:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lEN9gxZkmoM

So badass.

Other great dubs:

- Rurouni Kenshin
- Yu Yu Hakusho
- Ranma 1/2
- Cowboy Bebop

Berserk (97)
One Punch Man
Cardcaptor Sakura (newer version) (old one has its charm too)
Attack on Titan
Death Note
Bleach
Pokemon
Pokemon X & Y (Z)
Gurren Lagann
Kill La Kill
GITS
Stand Alone Complex

Alot of current anime has good to great dubs now.

Top Bottom