• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GameTrailers Review: Need for Speed The Run is a TWO HOUR GAME (of SP racing), 8.4/10

Feindflug

So it's a 2hrs racing game with unskippable cut-scenes & QTE's, crappy visuals & frame-rate that punishes the player if he/she wants to change cars...so why exactly this game got a 8.4?

Reviews & scores seriously are getting more and more ridiculous...and there's still people using Metacritic as their purchase/quality guidance.

Tain

Many of the greatest games ever are under half an hour from start to finish.

NFS: The Run is not one of the greatest games ever.

Jamesways

CloakedPuppet said:
Total shock that this game is getting brutalized on this board!

It looks like fun and, if folks would actually watch the review, it has plenty of unlockable stages that look like the very types of scenarios in NFSHP's map. The fact that this has a movie inspired campaign tying them together seems like a unique idea. Due to folks jumping to conclusions, this might actually be what sinks this game. smh

Or it could be the handling and graphics.

Meier

That's absurd. I haven't really played any NFS games lately as is but I was actually kinda interested in this due to the fact that there was a storyline. Not sure it's even worth it at Black Friday prices at 2 hours.

Ranger X

Nothing impresses me here. I was actually horrified by the demo and that's where, sadly, my relatioship with this game ended.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
CloakedPuppet said:
Total shock that this game is getting brutalized on this board!

It looks like fun and, if folks would actually watch the review, it has plenty of unlockable stages that look like the very types of scenarios in NFSHP's map. The fact that this has a movie inspired campaign tying them together seems like a unique idea. Due to folks jumping to conclusions, this might actually be what sinks this game. smh

Have you played the demo before white knighting for EA's NFS defense force? It was terrible to play and the cars had no grip. SMH.

2 HOURS?!

21dmtmt.jpg

If they put too much content into Need For Speed 18: The Run, then they wouldn't have enough left over to put into Need For Speed 19 for its inevitable release in April.

Jamesways said:
Or it could be the controls and graphics.

Fair enough. I can't speak of that specifically - based on black box's previous stuff, I was thinking that the final product (not demo) would be decent at the very least in the handling department.

I'm not saying that I'd pay full price for this but it looks fun just the same. I'll be watching for impressions and more reviews.

Feindflug said:
So it's a 2hrs racing game with unskippable cut-scenes & QTE's, crappy visuals & frame-rate that punishes the player if he/she wants to change cars...so why exactly this game got a 8.4?

Reviews & scores seriously are getting more and more ridiculous...and there's still people using Metacritic as their purchase/quality guidance.

Porsche-5
EA-3
The Actual Game-.4
Total-8.4

TheSeks said:
Have you played the demo before white knighting for EA's NFS defense force? It was terrible to play and the cars had no grip. SMH.

I heard that the demo was less than impressive but I was holding out for a decent final product. It may end up being crap but still looking forward to impressions.

EA NFS defense force? no words

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Dibbz said:
Since when do we gauge how good a racing game is on how long the single player takes to beat?
Since we were paying good money to play the game? The multiplayer could be great, but a 2 hour single player campaign is fucking inexcusable.

BY2K

Membero Americo
"that may sound short but keep in mind that time doesn't include cut scenes, menus and retries"

How the heck does that excuses it!?

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
DangerStepp said:
I don't understand what your surprise is. How much did you think a PCB cost?

Jamie OD

I sort of like the concept of the single player mode being one long cross country race but having it tied in with a story you can't skip, action scenes thrown in and just the one 'race' available does itself no favours.

Shame, I always thought Need For Speed was a good choice of franchise to do a Gumball 3000 style game.

2 hours not counting retries in one run through of all the stages.

Add up all the time it takes to run through every unique course once on any racing game and it wouldn't be much difference.

Bear

ElFly said:
It should happen whenever a racing game doesn't have local split screen multiplayer.

Which I am not sure this game has. The review didn't mention it I think, and I cannot find a straight answer anywhere.

There's no split screen either. The game itself might be solid, I haven't played the demo so I don't know what the handling issues are, but there is a serious lack of content here.

Short single player + no local multiplayer is the mark of death for any racing game, imo. I mainly enjoy racing games for local multiplayer and a good story mode. The idea of crossing the country is interesting, but there is absolutely no reason for me to ever buy this game. Hot Pursuit at least had a good SP mode to make up for the lack of local multi.

I have to be on the defenders side on this...

Would you rate it higher if it would recycle the stages 4 times over with different variants of difficulty? i mean that is what most other racing games campaign mode does.

But sure, it could be atleast 4 hours to match the current FPS measurement.

Bear

Noisepurge said:
I have to be on the defenders side on this...

Would you rate it higher if it would recycle the stages 4 times over with different variants of difficulty? i mean that is what most other racing campaign mode does.

That's not what previous NFS did. In Hot Pursuit and Shift you got a pretty good variety of different challenges over various parts of tracks. Shift even gave you different objectives depending on how you played. It wasn't just the same track repeated with different difficulty settings, the challenges were unique enough to be engaging and it worked well.

I would definitely think it deserves a higher score if it did that instead.

Raxus said:
Wonder what a speed run in the game would be like. 20 minutes?

Discover the first sequence break to skip cutscenes or speedrunners won't even bother.

Jim Sterling tore BF3 apart for a badly done single player experience and the game came in at 'well above average.' GT's review doesn't seem to have the intestinal fortitude to assign more honest numbers given what seems to be a short driving game with a slapped together story and badly implemented breaks in what in an otherwise fine arcade racer.

The review makes the game sound horrible.

Can't replay individual races? Check.
Unskippable cutscenes? Check.
Have to change cars during a race? Check.
Regenerating Health? Check.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Dibbz said:
Since when do we gauge how good a racing game is on how long the single player takes to beat?

Because most of the racing games in the Need for Speed series are about the "single" player or "story" modes? If Forza only had 10 races in it's career mode people would rate it lower too. It's all about value.

Personally I wont be getting it after playing the demo because the cars control like blocks of wood.

King_Moc

Banned
8.4 in 2011 is like a 2.3 in 1995 i guess. Not that we didn't know that already, but it's nice to have 100% confirmation.

Rated-Rsuperstar said:

That part was seriously NOT needed .

Nabs

Rated-Rsuperstar said:

8.4!

Deadly Cyclone said:
Because most of the racing games in the Need for Speed series are about the "single" player or "story" modes? If Forza only had 10 races in it's career mode people would rate it lower too. It's all about value.

Personally I wont be getting it after playing the demo because the cars control like blocks of wood.
Block of wood floating on ice. If you told me a base mustang handles like a boat, I might believe you. A porsche and a lambo steering like a boat? Something's fucked.

luffeN

Rated-Rsuperstar said:

From what I have played you don't necessarily have to change the cars, but some are better suited for different courses. But I have not watched the video review.

sarcoa

You don't have to change cars during a race. I completed the entire campaign on normal without stopping at a gas station.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Can someone get BlackBox just to do Need for Speed Underground 3? Seriously. I loved the Underground games and all their latest games in the NFS series have been mediocre at best.

Love their Skate series though!

Top Bottom