• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Video Game fan art -- when it's better than the official thing

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Rorschach said:
The way the guy posted it was kinda asking for it. And this thread is about "better than the official thing" not about doing it for the love of it or whatever the heck. I don't think the artists working on MP are tracing over faces, but whatever. I still think it's a cool piece.

Well they ought to. The humans in MP3 looked like crap

kozmo7

Truly deserves to shoot laserbeams from his eyes
Holy crap at the skills in here.

I remember some of you from the awesome annaul projects we have but this is just amazing.

Edit: I'd seriously buy t-shirts or posters of most of this art. I love it. :lol

Thai

Bane was better.
MrCheez said:
Absolutely love this (best crossover ever?):

mariokilledninjaturtles.jpg

holy shit, this one is so depressing!!

PBalfredo

rpg.jpg

meteor.jpg

Unfounded_Revenge_by_speedking.jpg

s3pthj.gif

One_Girl_in_All_the_World_by_transf.jpg

Yeah, yeah. Photo reference. Blah blah blah. But what I really like about this one is its composition. The contrast between the peaceful rainy Cateria and the forboding magma filled chasm. It looks like any second now, Samus will say to herself "Whelp, time to get back to work", plop on her helmet and kick off the cliff, taking the Gravity Express all the way down to Norfair.

orioto

Good Art™
Some great stuff in there, i love Dan Schoening's art !

Some pixel art badassry!

and some good Street Fighter art on deviant also :

PantherLotus

Professional Schmuck
Oh I know you were being cute and not hurtful. That's the point of the word!

Anyway, I was taking the thread title literally, but leaving out the word "fan." Who hasn't wanted to play in a real, CG, 2D/3D Amano watercolor Final Fantasy?

"Better than the official thing" indeed.

sammy said:
holy shit, my art is the OP but apparently DragonFromBrazil on Deviant art feels like taking all the credit!! >;P
what an asshole

i remember some idiot on DA posting some of Kojima's art from Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow as his own.

Dever

Banned
sammy said:
oh snap! that's baddass

EDIT:
holy shit, my art is the OP but apparently DragonFromBrazil on Deviant art feels like taking all the credit!! >;P

He isn't taking the credit, it just seems he doesn't know what DA is really used for. :p He states in his descriptions that the works are by an unknown author.

sammy

_dementia said:
what an asshole

i remember some idiot on DA posting some of Kojima's art from Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow as his own.

damn, what a monster! well, he's got one strike left.

edit:
Dever said:
He isn't taking the credit, it just seems he doesn't know what DA is really used for. :p He states in his descriptions that the works are by an unknown author.
oh good call, thanks for clearing that up :D

Fanart rocks, more artists should let the world know what franchise mythologies have stood the test of time. Artists using fanart as a tool can really push a game into pure culture. I like seeing all GAFs' artists posting their awesome art !! good tastes here :D

Here's some of my favs that i've done over the years:

mono1.jpg

o-rlyweb.jpg

Monster hunter (Tigrex, Kushala armor, Tigrex armor)
looks_tastey.jpg

blaster master:
blaster_master_canopy_web.jpg

oracrest

HK-47 said:
Thats not fanart? I must have had it in the wrong folder then.

And I was referencing his tag, playfully

Yeah, that was done by Charlie When (wen?), the concept artist on GOW. You can see his signature in the lining of the beak, and on the wing (which is weird, signing your art twice?)

It was for a game informer cover a while back if I remember correctly.

Top Bottom