• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TV Shows You Have Seen Recently |OT| 2017

NEOGAF PRESENTS THE INAUGURAL TV SHOWS YOU HAVE SEEN RECENTLY THREAD*
*An unofficial spin off of the "Movies You Have Seen Recently" threads

I've had an itch that has been not been fulfilled by the current TV show mega thread set up. An itch that isn't fully scratched by the random "LTTP" or "RTTP" threads that pop up way too often for the same 5 shows every month or so. I need a general place to discuss TV shows on a more broad basis. A place that can facilitate recommendations and general reviews of shows rather than try to decipher the cryptic and scary worlds of OT fandom.

Let's make this thread that place.

Now to get things started I think some basic ground rules need to be established and I am open to suggestions on how this should work. We can start with this basic framework and iterate and improve on it if need be.

RULES:
1. Let's be informative. Communication is key. When talking about a show please specify which Season you are talking about and where you are up to. Provide a quick summary to express your reaction in whatever way you choose be it a 140-character message, an essay, or just a basic score.
2. I realize that spoilers in TV Shows are a bit more tricky to deal with than in movies, so let's be respectful. Keep talk about shows broad, if you want to be more specific please use "Season # Episode #" and
SPOILER
. I think this is going to be a point of contention so let me know if there are any other concerns.
3. We can talk about all types of TV shows. Mini-series, currently airing shows that have their own threads already, and yes even anime.

Here is a SAMPLE of what I am looking for from the first show I finished this year:
MV5BYjcyZWM4ZmUtMTIzNi00N2RjLTgyNTgtMDc0ZjVmNzZjODA0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjQwMDMxNTg@._V1_.jpg

1. Over The Garden Wall - Season 1 - January 2017 - ★★★★★
"Phenomenal. I highly recommend it. Probably the best western animated TV show I have seen since Avatar and due to how short it is, it doesn't have dead spots like Avatar does."

This also lets me pimp Over The Garden Wall, so that's a plus.

Have at it!

Also I will single-handedly keep this thread alive for a bit if need be. I've watched 20+ seasons of TV so far this year so I can keep going for a while. :)

be3f4939287909ebaa02565f6803419929b1c413.jpg

2. The Carrie Diaries - Season 1 - January 2017 - ★★☆☆☆
"I mean I actually enjoyed this in a way. I was bored one weekend and ended up watching it on Netflix. I enjoy semi-trashy high school shows with wit, but this didn't really pack enough wit in it to keep me watching into the second season.."

Damn, no one else is biting so far. Too much Oppo Droppo right now to focus on the finer things.

6mNKBpVsnjJwXC8XT5zniZ-480-80.jpg

3. A Series of Unfortunate Events - Season 1 - January 2017 - ★★★☆☆
"I loved the books growing up and I appreciate the shows approach... but it felt off in many ways. Or maybe the series doesn't translate well into TV due to the repetitive format of the books. I did enjoy it, especially Neil Patrick Harris as Count Olaf, but Mr. Poe felt way off as did Lemony Snicket's narration."

Should I jump into Hill Street Blues? Curious if it has aged well.

What in particular are you looking for from Hill Street Blues? I know it's an older procedural show that my dad sometimes referred to, but that's about it. It looks like it was a pretty long running show at 7 seasons too, so it would be quite the time commitment.

rs-183502-160385211.jpg

4. 30 Rock - Season 7 (Final) - January 2017 - ★★★★☆
"I love 30 Rock and its humor. Season 7, the final season is not its strongest, but I will never not enjoy the show. The finale is not as satisfying as say, the Scrubs finale, which dings it from getting full marks."

OneEightZero

aka ThreeOneFour
I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think the OP is wanting everyone to keep the sequential order they started...they want YOU to use a sequential order if you write about more than one series.

Theodoricos

I started watching the TV adaptation of The Handmaid's Tale last week and I'm already up to the sixth episode. Enjoying it so far. Great performances (especially by Elizabeth Moss), good atmosphere, interesting premise. Not sure how realistic of a dystopia it is, but then again that's why it's a tale I suppose. Looking forward to finishing it soon. Spoilers (till the 6th episode):
Hoping we see more of Emily, she's my favorite character so far. She's been through some of the absolute worst in this show (and that's saying something considering the horrors all Handmaids go through) and I really hope things take a turn for the better for her.

I'm not 100% sure, but I don't think the OP is wanting everyone to keep the sequential order they started...they want YOU to use a sequential order if you write about more than one series.

I have been keeping a quick write up of my thoughts on individual seasons of shows I've watched in a Google Spreadsheet since the beginning of the year and I just thought I'd start posting them in an attempt to get some discussion going or to set an example. My countdown/list is just the order I watched them in starting back in January. One thing I guess we could do is go the "52 games. 1 Year" route and have an original post that you compile all the shows you have watched, while posting new shows you have finished and linking back to your OP to show a wider view of what you have watched. That would be more work though.

I started watching the TV adaptation of The Handmaid's Tale last week and I'm already up to the sixth episode. Enjoying it so far. Great performances (especially by Elizabeth Moss), good atmosphere, interesting premise. Not sure how realistic of a dystopia it is, but then again that's why it's a tale I suppose. Looking forward to finishing it soon. Spoilers (till the 6th episode):
Hoping we see more of Emily, she's my favorite character so far. She's been through some of the absolute worst in this show (and that's saying something considering the horrors all Handmaids go through) and I really hope things take a turn for the better for her.

This is 4th on my list of shows to watch right now. I'm currently making my way through Breaking Bad for the first time (currently wrapping up Season 3), then I plan on watching either Twin Peaks Season 3 or Fargo Season 3.... then Handmade's Tale. Also, Elizabeth Moss was great in Mad Men, she is one of the reasons why I am excited to watch the show.

What in particular are you looking for from Hill Street Blues? I know it's an older procedural show that my dad sometimes referred to, but that's about it. It looks like it was a pretty long running show at 7 seasons too, so it would be quite the time commitment.

Something good? I want to avoid it if it's just another old timey police procedural, but it seems to be viewed as a groundbreaking show so...

Sadsic

I feel like this topic was made for me... I've been on a giant television watching journey for like 5 years and I am slowly catching up to watching every "great" show ever... here are the seasons of TV I've watched this year so far:

1/7 - Community S2 - ★★★★★ - my girlfriend got me into Community late last year, and in hindsight, it's a fantastic sitcom. This season is the best
1/8 - Search Party S1 - ★★★ - I went through this show in one night due to a recommendation on gaf, it's a pretty interesting combination of a lot of different genres, and alia shawkat is really good in this.
1/20 - Sneaky Pete S1 - ★★★ - This was actually a bit of a surprise to me - the pilot is basically a CBS procedural with a kickass came from Bryan Cranston, but the season itself is basically just a fairly good season of Justified with different and slightly worse characters. I really liked Justified, so this was still pretty good to me.
1/24 - Community S3 - ★★★★ - I liked this season a lot, but the serialized elements were far too nonsensical to me.
1/27 - Adventure Time: Islands Miniseries - ★★★★ - This was a fantastic miniseries, probably my favorite of the 3 Adventure Time miniseries.
2/3 - Community S4 - ★★★ - Despite the extreme criticism of this season by seemingly everyone, I didn't find it to be too bad actually.
2/9 - Community S5 - ★★★★ - This season has some of the best episodes of the show, but falls apart by the end of the season.
2/18 - Community S6 - ★★★★ - This season's episodes are far too long, and waaaay too many characters are missing to really make this season feel natural - however, the paintball episode and the final episode are maybe my favorite two episodes in the whole show, so I still gave it a good rating.
2/27 - Transparent S3 - ★★★★ - I took a while to watch this season since I lost interest in the show somewhat, but this season is pretty good. It's probably the worst of the three seasons so far but some episodes (like the turtle episode) are undeniable classics.
3/4 - Show Me a Hero Miniseries - ★★★★ - This is a fantastic miniseries that's hindered only in that it is dry as fuck and fairly boring a lot of the times; it's EXTREMELY well made however, you can tell tons of research went into it.
3/30 - Legion S1 - ★★★★ - This was probably the surprise of the year so far for me, I didn't expect much from a comic book show about a fairly obscure X-Man, but it's highly imaginative and extremely well directed.
3/31 - Review S3 - ★★★★★ - This was a 3 episode season, but it perfectly closed the story of a man who unwittingly destroys his life for no good reason.
4/7 - 13 Reasons Why S1 - ★★★ - This is an EXTREMELY flawed show with some incredible material in the last few episodes.
4/16 - Star vs the Forces of Evil S1 - ★★ - I really, really did not enjoy this season of TV. The only reason I watched was from all the overlapping hype from the Steven Universe fandom.
4/20 - Adventure Time: Elements Miniseries - ★★★ - This was a good miniseries, but definitely the worst of three Adventure Time miniseries.
4/22 - Star vs the Forces of Evil S2 - ★★★ - This season was much better than the first - I actually connected to the characters and the world building was really fantastic. I'm a fan of this show now!
5/5 - Steven Universe S4 - ★★★★ - This is probably my favorite show right now, and I think this season, while slow, was still quite captivating and emotionally resonant.
5/20 - Samurai Jack S5 - ★★★★ - The first few episodes of this season were fucking amazing. Once the plot of the season really kicked in, however, it felt like this season should've been twice as long - a lot of crucial plot points go by pretty rapidly.
5/30 - The Americans S5 - ★★★★ - This was by far the slowest, most meandering season of a prestige drama I've seen since Rectify - and I mean this in the best way possible.
6/4 - The Leftovers S3 - ★★★★★ - This is by far my favorite TV season this year so far - it's a fucking profound show with amazing acting and directing.
6/15 - Bloodline S3 - ★★ - This is probably one of the worst final seasons I've seen for a show ever. It's a complete fucking mess in many ways.
6/19 - Better Call Saul S3 - ★★★★ - This was another slow, meandering prestige drama, but this one was much more deliberate than the others - the "big" moments of the season are just as good as Breaking Bad.
6/21 - Fargo S3 - ★★★★ - I didn't enjoy this season that much at first, but the last few episodes really pulled it together, and gave the whole season sort of a allegorical nature.
6/29 - Orange is the New Black S5 - ★★★ - This is a really, really flawed season, with some amazing storylines, and some completely abysmal storylines.
7/1 - The Missing S2 - ★★★ - This wasn't as captivating as Season 1, but it was still a very well crafted mystery drama.
7/10 - American Gods S1 - ★★★★ - I wasn't impressed by the pilot, but ultimately the show won me over; I am a book reader, and I found all of the new material of the show to be extremely well made.

I'm currently watching Twin Peaks and Snowfall live. I'm slowly going through Patriot, The Young Pope, The Handmaid's Tale, The Night Of and Narcos. Waiting for Rick and Morty, Bojack Horseman, Game of Thrones and probably a zillion other shows I can't even fathom right now.

I have interest in soon watching the new House of Cards season, GLOW, Castlevania, I Love Dick, and a bunch of Starz stuff since I have the Amazon channel for it for the next month.

The one thing I hate about binge watching TV are gigantic ass american shows with like 80+ episodes that take months-long commitments to go through - I waited on The Sopranos until 2015 because of this. There's a ton of older shows that I really wanna watch but find daunting because of this - Six Feet Under, The Shield, The West Wing etc are all like this to me.

Overall though, there's a FUCKTON of amazing things on tv right now - it's definitely my favorite storytelling medium currently

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Glow - ★★★★★
Best Netflix show by a looooooooong shot, It really dwarfs overrated boring trash like Daredevil, that shit with Kiefer or any other show. Everything is almost perfect; pacing, casting, music, humour and drama, it's superb. TRULY progressive too, which is amazing

House of Cards 5 - ★
Lmfao. It's a fucking cartoon now. Just plain awful but also somewhat attractive

Fargo 3 - ★★★★
Liked this one way more than season two. David Thewlis rocked It

The Americans 4 - ★★★★★
Consistently awesome

Better Call Saul 3 - ★★★★
This is better than BB. There, I said It

The Durrels - ★★★★
Fuck you, not everything needs to be gloomy and edgy and shit, sometimes it's good to watch a fine, heartwarming show. Plus, Keeley Hawes omg

Ripper Street 4 - ★★★★★
Most underrated best show of all time

That's It for now. Will post more soon because i basically only watched TV lately

and Hill Street Blues is amazing, although incredibly depressing

Been watching stuff on Amazon Prime Video.

American Experience: New York: A history of the city from its early days of New Amsterdam to the American Revolution to the influx of Irish to the age of Robert Moses. It was made in the late '90s, but after 9/11, a special episode was made for the history of the World Trade Center towers. Great stuff if you want to learn about New York, though the focus is still on Manhattan, even after incorporating the other boroughs in 1898.

Ken Burns: The War: Documentary series on World War II telling the story of the African, European, and Pacific theaters, while also focusing on 4 small towns and the people from them. Got through 4 episodes before it got pulled from Amazon Prime Video. Regardless, Ken Burns is famous for his documentary series, and this is still quality stuff like his other material.

Meanwhile, on Netflix:

Power Rangers Dino Supercharge: Power Rangers took a nosedive in quality after moving to Nickelodeon in 2011 and was also limited to 20 episodes per season. I consider Super Megaforce the worst season of the series, and a poor way to celebrate the 20th anniversary of the series. Dino Charge and its sequel season Dino Supercharge have really picked up the slack. The Rangers are interesting characters, even though there's like 10 of them. The villains are interesting and fun to watch too, especially Heckyl and Snide, who involuntarily switch places with each other at random. It doesn't match the quality of In Space, Time Force, and RPM, but I'm really enjoying it, with 6 episodes to go.

Castlevania: Been a Castlevania fan for 11 years, and I do like this take on Castlevania III, a game with a pretty light story, being an NES game. I love the animation, there's good action, and I'm looking forward to Season 2.

Choomp

Banned
The Sopranos S1 - I see why this show is so highly regarded. I feel like I'm already knee deep in a brilliant character study, and I've only seen the first season. Gandolfini is amazing, supporting cast is pretty ace too, and I tend to be a sucker for Italian mob stuff, so I'm definitely in this for the long run.

1. Over The Garden Wall - Season 1 - January 2017 - ★★★★★
"Phenomenal. I highly recommend it. Probably the best western animated TV show I have seen since Avatar and due to how short it is, it doesn't have dead spots like Avatar does."

2. The Carrie Diaries - Season 1 - January 2017 - ★★☆☆☆
"I mean I actually enjoyed this in a way. I was bored one weekend and ended up watching it on Netflix. I enjoy semi-trashy high school shows with wit, but this didn't really pack enough wit in it to keep me watching into the second season.."

3. A Series of Unfortunate Events - Season 1 - January 2017 - ★★★☆☆
"I loved the books growing up and I appreciate the approach of the show... but it felt off in many ways. Or maybe the series doesn't translate well into TV due to the repetitive format of the books. I did enjoy it, especially Neil Patrick Harris as Count Olaf, but Mr. Poe felt way off as did Lemony Snicket's narration."

4. 30 Rock - Season 7 (Final) - January 2017 - ★★★★☆
"I love 30 Rock and its humor. Season 7, the final season is not its strongest, but I will never "not" enjoy the show. The finale is not as satisfying as say, the Scrubs finale, which dings it from getting full marks."

5. Black Mirror - Season 1 - February 2017 - ★★★★★
"This season is something else. It is comprised of only three episodes, each encompassing a new sci-fi aspect in an anthology format. I was absolutely mesmerized by all of it, the show makes it all seem so possible. The National Anthem is kind of gruesome, but that is what makes it great. 15 Million Merits is basically a work of art. The Entire History of You is passionate, scary, and heartbreaking."

6. Black Mirror - Season 2 - February 2017 - ★★★☆☆
"A significantly weaker season than the first, but interesting all the same. I would say White Bear grabbed me the most out of all of the episodes because it kept you in a constant state of confusion. White Christmas was the best episode overall, but was also terrifying in its own way."

7. The Mick - Season 1 - January to May 2017 - ★★★★☆
"Sweet Dee's spin-off is basically a network television It's Always Sunny lite that gets surprisingly dark... often. The humor is great. The cast has a good range with no weak links. I really have no problems with this show actually."

8. Riverdale - Season 1 - January to June 2017 - ★★★☆☆
"I officially finished the season finale of Riverdale about a month after I watched the rest of the show, I never felt super compelled to finish it for some reason. The show is a true "guilty pleasure" show in that every actor/actress is beautiful to a fault and it often takes itself too seriously for what its roots are. That may be my biggest problem with the show, as it really was at its best when it was Veronica whipping fast-paced quips at Archie and the gang in the front half of the show. I might continue watching it in Season 2, but I will have to be convinced to not leave it. This is either the lowest 3-star I could give or the highest 2-star."

9. The Office - Season 4-9 - March to April 2017 - ★★★★☆
"I have watched the first few seasons of The Office maybe two or three times but I always fell off the show at some point in the 4th season. My main problem with the show when I was younger is that I didn't like Michael Scott's brand of humor. Coming back to it and finishing the whole series, he definitely grew on me. The show stayed pretty strong even without him, but it became more inconsistent in tone and the revelation that the documentary crew actually had personalities and storylines felt a little unwarranted. I don't know what many other people think, but Dwight is the center of the show as he is the driving force of the comedy, whether it is being pranks directed at him by Jim or just his general uniqueness. I think most of the seasons come out to somewhere around a 3.5-4/5. It isn't as clever as 30 Rock or Park's and Rec, but it does feel more comfortable and familiar most of the time."

10. Schitt's Creek - Season 1 - March to April 2017 - ★★★☆☆
"This was a bit of a surprise as I wasn't expecting much when I ended up watching the pilot one night on Netflix, but it really is a very enjoyable fish-out-of-water tale. The family is kind of Bluth-lite and so is the comedy. Lots of eye candy for such a bumfuck town too."

11. Girl Boss - Season 1 - April 2017 - ★★★☆☆
"Girl Boss follows the recent trend of the main protagonist mostly being unlikable in one way or another. It is a show that has a strong take on feminism, which is pretty evident from the name, but it does it through the lens of someone who is abrasive and cutoff, which is a pretty unique take. Despite that, it manages to be pretty funny and at times poignant. I enjoyed it, but I don't know if I would watch more."

12. 13 Reasons Why - Season 1 - April to May 2017 - ★★★☆☆
"13 Reasons Why is a difficult show to pull off correctly and really was the type of show I should have hated outright. It ended up a strong tale of problems stemming from high school in a modern world. Many of the characters show real growth from start to end, which was nice, and none of the actors were noticeably bad (which is impressive for a show like this!). In fact, Clay and Hannah really impressed me by the end. That said the subject matter was heavy, especially in the last few episodes and learning of a Season 2 retroactively made the first season much worse. The show had bad pacing problems, with many of the middle episodes feeling... not pointless, but overwrought. I think it might have been better off being 10 Reasons Why."

13. Brockmire - Season 1 - March to May 2017 - ★★★★☆
"Really funny show! Frank Azaria's Jim Brockmire may be one of my new favorite characters. His rants and his way with words are on another level and he really sells the whole broadcaster persona and voice well. The show is just 8 episodes and doesn't overstay its welcome."

14. Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt - Season 3 - May 2017 - ★★★☆☆
"I felt like this was the weakest season of Kimmy Schmidt. It didn't run with much purpose and while the dialogue and the one-liners were still on point the lack of drive to the show makes it feel less effective than 30 Rock was at its prime. This could be because there is no central purpose such as the workplace environment of 30 Rock, but I'm not really sure. Also, the whole college section of the season felt really off the mark to me. It went over the top in a really stupid and expected way on the "PC" culture, something I thought Tina Fey and the show would be better at."

15. Master of None - Season 2 - May 2017 - ★★★★☆
"Master of None is a show that shouldn't work. The acting is consistently off and most of the time the subject matter is a bit too on the nose. That said something just clicks for it. It has flashes of brilliance in direction, it explores topics that don't see a lot of light on TV, and the topics that are more common to the format tend to be more grounded or have a real, poignant things to say. I love the cinematography, the music, and the general atmosphere. You can tell this is Aziz's passion project."

16. Archer - Season 7 - June 2017 - ★★★☆☆
"Archer is like comfort food. I think the show is getting budget cuts as a lot of the animation looks even stiffer than normal and the humor/dialogue is getting a bit crusty and reused. That said it is still able to have those moments that make you laugh uncontrollably for a few minutes. Krieger in the Evil Kenivil costume karate chopping the air and making sound effects was maybe the funniest thing I've seen this year."

17. Flaked - Season 2 - June 2017 - ★★☆☆☆
"Flaked is a show I enjoyed despite it having really obvious flaws. It feels like a live-action BoJack Horseman lite show, which makes sense considering it stars Will Arnett. It doesn't quite hit though. There isn't much comedy, the drama is kind of bland, and the overarching themes it tries to reach for don't really land. That said I didn't really mind watching it because it was only a 6-episode run that I watched in one sitting."

18. Big Little Lies - Season 1 - May to June 2017 - ★★★☆☆
"Big Little Lies felt like the definition of a try-hard prestige television show. It is absolutely loaded with big name actors/actresses, it has a movie like quality to it in production, and it has beautiful cinematography and music. That said there isn't much substance to it. They try to play up the suspense by interweaving the past and present in the show and hinting towards a big event at the end of the season, but it all falls a little flat at the actual event. The overarching theme and pull of the show just felt a little shallow. I will totally watch more, but it is more of a guilty pleasure show than a heavy think piece that I think it was trying to be."

19. The Simpsons - Season 1 - June 2017 - ★★★☆☆
"I'm breaking The Simpsons out by season because I actually remembered to watch it fully in order and do a write up in between. Like most comedies/cartoons, The Simpsons is trying to find its stride in the first season and you can see glimpses of greatness and how the show has become a cultural staple over the last 30 years. I am interested to see how the show evolves season to season. Just a quick thing I noticed, the show typically centers around just one storyline with no side plots, but the main story can move to multiple phases and takes unusual turns more than most other shows due to the extra time they give the main story. I like this style."

20. Silicon Valley - Season 4 - April to June 2017 - ★★★☆☆
"It feels a little weird giving Silicon Valley a 3-star review because it has been consistently one of my favorite shows over the past few years. This season was a bit frustrating because it fell into the same trap plot-wise the show has been in for its whole run rather than evolving... while also being less hilarious along the way. Don't get me wrong, I still find it funny 80% of the time, but there is no big set piece or moment like previous seasons to really elevate it."

21. Black Mirror - Season 3 - May to June 2017 - ★★★★★
"Man, Black Mirror is so good. I was a bit down on Season 2, but it was not because the quality of the show was down I just wasn't as interested in the episode concepts. Season 3 is pretty much pure, bleak sci-fi concepts front to back with brilliant iterations on each idea. It even had a mostly happy episode in San Junipero! The production values are still there, the diverse cast, and the believable acting. The thing that really sets the show apart is how grounded it feels. Every episode it feels modern day seamlessly integrated with sci-fi concepts and it is backed by acting that doesn't go over the top."

22. Breaking Bad - Season 2 - July 2017 - ★★★★☆
"This is my confession about Breaking Bad. I have been blatantly lying to people about the show for almost 4 years now. I tried watching it many times, but couldn't get into it. I always stopped a few episodes into Season 2. The show was too stressful and wasn't that interesting on top of it to me. So I told everyone that would listen that it was an overrated show. That it wasn't good. That I had no idea what people saw in it. Yet here I am, finally finishing Season 2 and making it past the first few episodes of the season, which I still think is the weakest. I had to give it a 4-star instead of the 5-star the last part of the season deserves because of my struggle to make it through and continue watching, but now I'm hooked. The show isn't a visual tour-de-force, more recent shows have certainly upstaged it in that regard, and it does feel more clunky than something like Fargo. That seems to be by design, but I hope it continues to improve as I move forward."

23. Breaking Bad - Season 3 - July 2017 - ★★★★☆
"Upon further reflection. I think this is a great season of TV with a bit of a slowdown in the middle, which happens in a lot of shows. The important thing is that it started strong and ended really strong with a trio of fantastic episodes. I thought "Fly" was the weakest episode of the season by far though. I'm genuinely excited to see where it goes next as they leave at a very interesting cliffhanger."

24. Breaking Bad - Season 4 - July 2017 - ★★★★☆
"Breaking Bad continues to be a show I can't give a 5-star to. The highs of the show are great, but there is a lot of in between that is a bit of a slog to get through. The ending feels like it could have been a show finale, and it maybe could have if for some reason Breaking Bad wasn't insanely popular by the time this season aired."

25. Fresh Meat - Season 2 - August 2017 - ★★★☆☆
"A nice bit of British humor. I mostly used this show as a nice palette cleanser in between seasons of Breaking Bad. I enjoyed this season slightly more than the first season of the show. It never really takes itself to the next level but it is normally good background noise. It's on Netflix, so give an episode or two ago."

26. Breaking Bad - Season 5 - July - August 2017 - ★★★★★
"The final season of Breaking Bad was a bit liberating compared to the rest of the show. Without delving into spoilers, the show wraps up very nicely. The tension around Walt's family life breaks and finally feels actually relevant in the story resolving one of the biggest weaknesses of the show. Walt's character arc finally reaches a breaking (bad) point after a gradual build up over the past 4 seasons. He realizes his true motivations and passions and follows through with them in the final episode beautifully. That said I found that Jessie's arc has largely plateaued by Season 5, the one piece of growth was him fully losing faith in Walt. I think overall it is the strongest season even if I wish they managed to wrap it up in 13 episodes instead of 16. If my rating scale could be adjusted I would give it something like a 4.6/5."

27. Game of Thrones - Season 3 - July - August 2017 - ★★★★☆
"What a season. The show has basically devolved into an extended Hollywood blockbuster with increased episode budgets. Large set pieces dominate almost every episode, top notch CGI all over the place, and an unrivaled sense of scale for a TV show. It has lost a bit of the artiness and theme-based episodes that connected together with the majority of the episodes in prior seasons in order to push the plot at a MUCH faster pace. Anyone with a bit of knowledge of the books knows how ridiculous it is that an episode could feature one character being at the Wall and King's Landing within a few scenes of each other, but this was used as a matter of expediency to cut fat from the plot... something GRRM might have to learn for the books. The show remains inconsistent on acting and writing, in particular, I thought a lot of the scenes in Winterfell were sub-par at best. With all that said... how epic is this show??"

28. Atypical - Season 1 - September - ★★☆☆☆
"I'm doing this quite a few days after I actually finished the show so I've lost my main train of thought about the show. I thought the main drama of the show was serviceable to weak, but the subject was mildly interesting.

29. Bojack Horseman - Season 4 - September - ★★★★★
"My favorite Netflix series is back and it delivers again. There is no singular moment or episode that is as impactful as the high parts of Season 3, but Season 4 contains one of the most consistent and hopeful narratives the show has brought forth yet. I can not think of another show that captures the inner workings of human existence and psychology quite as well as Bojack can. It also retains the snappy wit and sight gags that will keep those who are paying attention laughing when they aren't looking deep into themselves in despair. My favorite episode was probably Episode 6, it hit pretty close to home."

30. American Vandal - Season 1 - September - ★★★★★
"I have been on a true crime kick for the past few months via Podcasts and in the past, I have been fully captivated by Serial, Making A Murderer, Paradise Lost, etc. I saw a trailer of this after finishing a movie on Netflix and instantly knew I had to watch it. If the trailer didn't sell me hard enough, the first episode pulled me in full with the absurdist take on the True Crime genre. This may prove to be the best high school drama show I watch all year or maybe even the best in the past few years. There are constant laughs to be had up front, but the backside of the show takes a deep cut into the effects that a documentary has on a community and its subjects. I highly, highly recommend it. I finished it within 24 hours of starting it because of how engrossed I was."

Sadsic

my list is bigger than yr list

edit: actually i think you've watched more seasons than me you bunched some together

my list is bigger than yr list

edit: actually i think you've watched more seasons than me you bunched some together

I have one more season than you! I forgot to write in between all of The Office seasons so they just kind of clumped together in my head.

Almost done with Season 3 of Breaking Bad (@S3E10 "Fly"). It seems weaker than Season 2 so far. It does make me want to watch Better Call Saul. He is by far the best character on the show.

Sadsic

I have one more season than you! I forgot to write in between all of The Office seasons so they just kind of clumped together in my head.

Almost done with Season 3 of Breaking Bad (@S3E10 "Fly"). It seems weaker than Season 2 so far. It does make me want to watch Better Call Saul. He is by far the best character on the show.

I actually kinda wanna go back and go through all the seasons of tv ive watched since 2012, which is when i started taking TV "seriously"

Breaking Bad Seasons 4 and 5 are by far some of the best prestige drama seasons ever, so yr in for a treat

I actually kinda wanna go back and go through all the seasons of tv ive watched since 2012, which is when i started taking TV "seriously"

Breaking Bad Seasons 4 and 5 are by far some of the best prestige drama seasons ever, so yr in for a treat

One of the main reasons I started doing this (with all of my media consumption, not just TV) is because I realized I had started forgetting what I had watched or played even in the past few months.

Last year when I was trying to do my top 10 TV Shows for the year for the GAF voting thread, I realized I kept forgetting shows I had watched in 2016 and it made me keep re-arranging the list. So this year as part of my New Year's Resolution, I included keeping better track of what I do. I've found a simple Google Spreadsheet works well. I don't think I could remember back and fill in what I have previously watched entirely, but I might try add a previously watched section to give a good general idea.

As for Breaking Bad. I had always heard the show picked up in Season 3 from my friends, but I haven't found that to be true. I think mid-Season 2 it picked up and it has kind of stalled a bit in Season 3 so far. Mind you I haven't finished. I am definitely looking forward to continue on. I'm hoping to finish the whole thing by the end of July.

Happy Endings. Like it better than New Girl actually. Losing the Waynes son to HE wasn't so bad in hindsight. Too bad it was canceled.

AoM

Just found out one of my favorite shows is now on streaming (Netflix). I can't believe I didn't notice. Apparently it's been there for a couple of months.

Party of Five (1994-2000)

A family drama about 5 siblings dealing with life after the death of both of their parents.

The core four (Matthew Fox, Scott Wolf, Neve Campbell, Lacey Chabert) carry the show with their acting and chemistry.

It has a pretty usual season progression in terms of quality: 1 and 2 are decent, 3 and 4 are great, and 5 and 6 are the decline.

The show seems to have been completely forgotten so I hope people discover it now. Recommending to those who enjoy that 90s feeling and familial emotion and drama.

I had someone PM me saying RatskyWatsky does a TV Scheduling thread for each season during the year. I read through this thread and it seems like most people are talking about TV currently airing. I like to think of this as something that doesn't just cater to TV currently airing. I am definitely subscribing there though, lots of really great info on shows. TOO MUCH TV GAH!!!

23. Breaking Bad - Season 3 - July 2017 - ★★★★☆
"Upon further reflection. I think this is a great season of TV with a bit of a slowdown in the middle, which happens in a lot of shows. The important thing is that it started strong and ended really strong with a trio of fantastic episodes. I thought "Fly" was the weakest episode in the season by far though. I'm genuinely excited to see where it goes next as they leave at a very interesting cliff hanger."

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Since GoT is about to start again, it was the perfect time to catch up on s5 and 6. I can't post in any of the current threads because of spoilers so I'll put some impressions here.

I started s5 months ago but it was really jarring to see the show stray so far away from the books. Turns out those early eps weren't even the worst ones in s5. What D&D did to Dorne is pretty pathetic in every way. I don't remember the DwD details anymore, but there were more players/plots in Dorne and there was more going on in general. Even if you ignore that it's still one of the worst plots in the tv show as a whole. Just poorly developed all around. I just finished the first ep of s6 and it gets even weirder now,
with the sudden killing of Doran and Trystane. It's like they never wanted to do Dorne and are now axing everyone involved in that side of the story.

I keep hearing that s6 is the best season of the show, but it'll have to improve immensely beyond this first ep for that to happen. It's exciting however to move past the source material. Whatever happens, it's all new and uncharted territory from here.

Also watched GLOW recently which is just a standout Netflix original in every way. I'd put it besides Bojack, Master of None, ST and Bloodline s1.

Since GoT is about to start again, it was the perfect time to catch up on s5 and 6. I can't post in any of the current threads because of spoilers so I'll put some impressions here.

I started s5 months ago but it was really jarring to see the show stray so far away from the books. Turns out those early eps weren't even the worst ones in s5. What D&D did to Dorne is pretty pathetic in every way. I don't remember the DwD details anymore, but there were more players/plots in Dorne and there was more going on in general. Even if you ignore that it's still one of the worst plots in the tv show as a whole. Just poorly developed all around. I just finished the first ep of s6 and it gets even weirder now,
with the sudden killing of Doran and Trystane. It's like they never wanted to do Dorne and are now axing everyone involved in that side of the story.

I keep hearing that s6 is the best season of the show, but it'll have to improve immensely beyond this first ep for that to happen. It's exciting however to move past the source material. Whatever happens, it's all new and uncharted territory from here.

Also watched GLOW recently which is just a standout Netflix original in every way. I'd put it besides Bojack, Master of None, ST and Bloodline s1.

There is definitely a reason Game of Thrones Season 6 is considered one of the best seasons of the show. The first episode is the show creators cutting some of the dead weight they accrued during Season 5 so they can streamline the rest of the season and not have all of the strands flailing about at once.

I think the new content beyond the books is very logical about 90% of the time, I didn't get really angry at any of the changes of what they added; it was more frustrating to see what they left out. Anyways, get ready for some of the best episodes of TV ever created.

ah! The other itch indeed.

Recently finished watching Bojack Horseman, which was alright when it knew what to do, but it took a sudden dark turn in the second season that the third one essentially had to apologize for. Not the critical darling some gaffers seem to think it is, but it's alright at times. I do like the inclusion of unique ringtones though, since that's typically missing elsewhere. (going to the 'how' of including new tech)

also watched Archer's Dreamland season, which was fun. Not like, the greatest, but I'll take whatever I can get.

I'm also doing the 'other' critical gaf darling of Deadwood, but that one seems alright, even if it's almost like a setup series for Justified.

The Hunt (Netflix)

Probably the most "next-gen" wildlife documentary series. Beautiful cinematography. 11/10. If you like watching wildlife/nature docs, this is for you. The best in class. Raises the bar truly. You will be in awe.

Sadsic

im curious if this topic can be used for recommending shows as well - I have a Starz subscription for a month via Amazon, im curious what the shows worth watching on that channel. I went through The Missing and American Gods already.

Shows that have caught my eye:

Ash vs Evil Dead
Flesh and Bone
The Girlfriend Experience

Shows I would maybe watch:

Black Sails
Outlander
Party Down
The White Princess
Power
Spartacus

dunno what's actually considered the "best" or most "worthy" tho

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
There is definitely a reason Game of Thrones Season 6 is considered one of the best seasons of the show. The first episode is the show creators cutting some of the dead weight they accrued during Season 5 so they can streamline the rest of the season and not have all of the strands flailing about at once.

I think the new content beyond the books is very logical about 90% of the time, I didn't get really angry at any of the changes of what they added; it was more frustrating to see what they left out. Anyways, get ready for some of the best episodes of TV ever created.

Finished s6, just in time for the new season. The final two episodes were something else. I wouldn't say it's the best season overall, but those two episodes back to back are some of the highlights of the series. Well except for maybe
Arya killing Frey out of nowhere and them easily sneaking the Frey pie in

im curious if this topic can be used for recommending shows as well - I have a Starz subscription for a month via Amazon, im curious what the shows worth watching on that channel. I went through The Missing and American Gods already.

Ash vs Evil Dead
Flesh and Bone

Black Sails
Outlander
Party Down
The White Princess
Power
Spartacus

I have heard good things about Black Sails as a Game of Thrones-lite show. Party Down is a really, really strong comedy and it isn't too long with only 2 seasons. I have only watched the first season of Spartacus fully, but that show is just pure un-adulterated cheese and boy is it fun to watch. I would at least give both Party Down and Spartacus a few episodes, I can't say much about the rest as I haven't seen them.

Finished s6, just in time for the new season. The final two episodes were something else. I wouldn't say it's the best season overall, but those two episodes back to back are some of the highlights of the series. Well except for maybe
Arya killing Frey out of nowhere and them easily sneaking the Frey pie in

At the very least I think S6E9 is one of the best TV battle sequences... it felt like watching a movie

Wrecked and People of Earth, WHICH ALL OF YOU SHOULD BE WATCHING!

There is just too much on TV and most people have lives. TV should really think of the people, some of us want to live lives and have jobs!

AoM

The Sopranos - Season 6

Watched the first two episodes; strong start. "Join the Club" is one of the show's best episodes.

Doctor Who - Series 1

A shaky start. But Eccleston and Piper had great chemistry. Standout episodes were "Dalek", "The Empty Child" (and "The Doctor Dances").

Ash vs Evil Dead
Flesh and Bone

Black Sails
Outlander
Party Down
The White Princess
Power
Spartacus

Black Sails - heard good things about this (though it seems being a fan of that period may make the difference).

Outlander - only seen S1. A great stranger-in-a-strange-land show.

Spartacus - haven't seen anything, but DeKnight (showrunner on Daredevil S1) is a great writer/director.

Pachimari

I have had a hard time committing to tv the past two months. I was going through The Handmaid's Tale and American Gods and loved them but I suddenly stopped. A few days ago I watched the pilot of American People vs O.J. Simpson and found it to be great. That said, I'm currently going through movies, but I need to catch up with some television before the new season. High up the list gotta be The Originals which I'm behind on with a few episodes, and I might as well finish up Legends of Tomorrow. I might give Arrow another chance, but to be fair, I've found all of the CW comic book shows to be crap the last season. Game of Thrones is another one I need to get back to, and I'm only on the second season.

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
After rewatching Breaking Bad I felt it was time to return to Mad Men, a show I somehow dropped during s4. Now that the run is complete and it's on Netflix, I felt like digging in again. I'm only 5 eps deep, but I forgot how brilliant this show is. There's so much packed in one episode, I actually read the AV club (re)review after each ep. Don't know if I'll be able to keep that up for the entire run, but it definitely gives me more insight into each ep. My favorite episode so far is 'Marriage of Figaro'. We learn so much about the characters there in how they act and not what they say. It takes Don like 5 beers to finish the playhouse and when the party starts, he gets into the heavier stuff. It's so paradoxal: he left his past to live the dream, yet the dream is a suburban nightmare he wants to escape from every chance he gets. That scene with Helen Bishop outside is striking, because those are the two characters in that party who have no interest in keeping up appearances and want to get away from it all. It's also ironic that they're looking at children playing... and trying their hardest to be mini adults already in the playhouse.
Helen Bishop is an interesting character because she feels so 'out of time': she's divorced which was not done at the time, doesn't really care enough about superficial stuff (uses xmas wrapping paper) and likes to walk to clear her head. This combined makes her seem like a freak to the women in the dollhouse, but give it a few years and she wouldn't look that out of place.

These are just a few scenes in one episode and they all have that quality, where lots of subtext makes you think after watching the ep. Pretty excited to make it to the later seasons and see if it keeps the quality up.

Pachimari

Legends of Tomorrow S2
Finally caught up and marathoned through the five episodes I had left of Legends of Tomorrow season two, and it was a fun ride. I just had to be in the right mood again. I loved the period pieces, and highlights include Amaya's touch with the dinosaur, and the finale episode wasn't shaky either. That whole time thing can be one convoluted thing but it was well told. It was better than the first season by quite a mile.

Now I gotta catch up with the third season of The Flash. Have seen three episodes today already, and got six left.

Ash vs Evil Dead
Flesh and Bone

Black Sails
Outlander
Party Down
The White Princess
Power
Spartacus

Black Sails is fantastic, one of my favorite shows of the decade and easily the best of 2017 for me so far. Spartacus is pretty good too, but those are the only Starz shows i've checked out. Meant to watch The Girlfriend Experience but never got around to it

watched the first 3 episodes of enlightened on amazon prime and really enjoying it so far.. Laura dern is great

love that her mom is the same mom from wild at heart (who's her actual her mom)

neoanarch

Watching Patriot at the moment. Such little fanfare for such a great show. Amazing cast. Great story. Hilarious. Sad. Can't stop watching.

Been watching Cheers and Seinfeld.

Just started Season 4 of Seinfeld, and it's absolutely golden. I can see why many praise this show as the goat and I feel like its finally hitting it's stride.

Im at the end of S5 for Cheers, while it's still solid, Diane in particular is really insufferable this season. Knowing it's the last time we see her for awhile, I'm curious why she is so bad in this one.

Pachimari

The Flash S3
I finished The Flash season 3 yesterday and it wasn't shit as some people had led me to believe on here. In fact, it was pretty good. That said, I don't remember the first 2/3 of the season but it's safe to say it improved toward the end. The musical episode was on of the best in the entire series,
Abra Kadabra was a neat villain of the week, although the last three episodes took a little bit of a hit,
and the reveal of Savitar was weak. I had seen that coming, but the climax during the finale episode was such a cop out.

Now I'm onto 10 episodes of Arrow.

AoM

The Sopranos

Finally finished after more than a year of watching. Yeah, it's as good as everyone says it is. "Made in America" is pretty much a perfect finale (and I wasn't expecting it to be one of the show's funniest).

Also,
#TeamItDoesntMatterandThatsthePoint

Anyone else watching the CNN mini-series "The Nineties"? I really enjoyed their previous mini-series on the 70s and 80s from last year, so at least we get the 90s now. I just like learning about these things and since I was only a child during most of the 90s, it's a bit nostalgic to learn about it from a narrative point of view.

valeo

The Handmaid's Tale - 9/10

What. A. Show. Everything just seemed so impossibly real; probably helped by the current climate.

I am a little wary of this overstaying its welcome, though. I think it should be 3 seasons max.

Zousi

Should I jump into Hill Street Blues? Curious if it has aged well.

You should definitely take a look. It is an established classic and one that stands the test of time on rewatches (i have watched the whole series at least three times over the years). The characters are just wonderful in their different personalities and the writing is always on point. It's just a joy to watch.

Boogs31

Ash vs Evil Dead
Flesh and Bone

Black Sails
Outlander
Party Down
The White Princess
Power
Spartacus

I've seen both Party Down and Ash vs Evil Dead. Party Down is one of my favorite comedy shows of all time so I can't recommend this enough.

If you enjoy the Evil Dead movies I think you'll enjoy Ash vs Evil Dead as well. I thought the first season was pretty great and the second season was alright.

Boogs31

The Sopranos

Finally finished after more than a year of watching. Yeah, it's as good as everyone says it is.

So I started watching the Sopranos last year and I stopped after season 3. I felt like there was way too many filler episodes and the great episodes were too infrequent. I've been contemplating picking it back up. Would you say seasons 4 thru 6 are significantly better than the first 3?

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
Advancing further into Mad Men and the first episodes of season 4 are fascinating, with Don evolving into a truly tragic character now.
When he was with Betty his confidence allowed him to pick up girls effortlessly, but now there's a sad side to the girls he sleeps with. He has to start paying for it for one, but the real low point is his drunk one night stand with Allison. Little does he know that girl actually cared about him after all those years in front of his office. That 'bonus' he gave her made it extra painful.

The new status quo in s4 came just in time, making the show feel fresh again.

So I started watching the Sopranos last year and I stopped after season 3. I felt like there was way too many filler episodes and the great episodes were too infrequent. I've been contemplating picking it back up. Would you say seasons 4 thru 6 are significantly better than the first 3?

Yeah it gets better and better

Advancing further into Mad Men and the first episodes of season 4 are fascinating, with Don evolving into a truly tragic character now.
When he was with Betty his confidence allowed him to pick up girls effortlessly, but now there's a sad side to the girls he sleeps with. He has to start paying for it for one, but the real low point is his drunk one night stand with Allison. Little does he know that girl actually cared about him after all those years in front of his office. That 'bonus' he gave her made it extra painful.

The new status quo in s4 came just in time, making the show feel fresh again.

Ah yes Don Draper, dude fucks.

Top Bottom