• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Avatar sequels officially begin filming Sept 25. Are standalone sequels.

Natiko

Banned
I'll repeat what I literally just said a few posts earlier:

He was also in Hacksaw Ridge just before that, a movie that was nominated for Best Picture six months ago. Pretending The Shack is the only thing he's done lately is disingenuous.

The point is the guy hasn't stopped getting work since Avatar but let's pretend he has for the lulz.
Is...is there a Sam Worthington defense force?

TDLink

I like this in theory. I'd like it even more if they were different sets of characters and not Sam Borington in every film.

Mahonay

Banned
Sam Worthington was absolute fucking dog shit in Avatar 1. Movie has writing and pacing issues in general though

shira

Where's a Taylor Kitsch defense force when you need one.

I watched John Carter recently and it wasn't total dogshit - good experience

Then I watched S2 True Detective
huh.gif

Ha, I was just joking about this earlier today. I'll believe it when I see a picture of Cameron on set. I didn't love the first one but I'll always have some curiosity for whatever Cameron does.

Neff

what the hell is a standalone sequel?

A film with an actual ending, basically, rather than the usual epic franchise constipated sequel tease. We might walk out of the theatre knowing absolutely nothing about the next movie. I know, it's going to be a shock for all of us.

shira

A film with an actual ending, basically, rather than the usual epic franchise constipated sequel tease. We might walk out of the theatre knowing absolutely nothing about the next movie. I know, it's going to be a shock for all of us.

I wonder if they will have the movies Elemental like Avatar: The Last Airbender

1. Seems Air Focused, with some tree/space/mining
2. Underwater

3. Fire/volcano/star
4. Earth/Pandora (?)

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
He should cast Arnold as the man brought in to wipe out those pesky giant smurfs with extreme prejudice all by himself. It will be like Predator times 1000

DOWN

Banned
Assuming they are making them standalone because they want room to drop actors on the way if they must

Nearly 8 fucking years and they haven't filmed anything yet? That's like 2 presidential terms and... nothing. It's just a movie, Cameron, lets go.

Was hoping the sequels might explore some other moons than Pandora but that's not looking like it will happen.

Nearly 8 fucking years and they haven't filmed anything yet? That's like 2 presidential terms and... nothing. It's just a movie, Cameron, lets go.

Was hoping the sequels might explore some other moons than Pandora but that's not looking like it will happen.

Wait wait wait, they haven't started filming them yet? What has Cameron been up to the last 8 years?
It's not just a movie. It's the prep to shoot FOUR movies at one time.

Should we revisit the fun Peter Jackson had in (not properly) prepping the shoot for 3 Hobbit films? And those films had source material to draw from.

Not

Banned
I remember when these were announced for 2015 and 2016 and I thought, wow that's a WHILE from now

When these actually come out, it'll be so weird for me.

GhaleonEB

Is...is there a Sam Worthington defense force?

Original comment was about how Worthington hasn't been getting work. Which is not true. There's nothing to defend, just to correct.

That said, I'll happily defend his work in Avatar. He was even decent in Clash of the Titans, though I haven't seen anything he's been in since then. (He was also great in Rogue, before Avatar.)

I'm actually surprised that all four will be based on Pandora. I was thinking the universe might expand by not being on Pandora at some point.

Raptor

Original comment was about how Worthington hasn't been getting work. Which is not true. There's nothing to defend, just to correct.

That said, I'll happily defend his work in Avatar. He was even decent in Clash of the Titans, though I haven't seen anything he's been in since then. (He was also great in Rogue, before Avatar.)

He was one of the good things in Terminator Salvation.

I'm actually surprised that all four will be based on Pandora. I was thinking the universe might expand by not being on Pandora at some point.
At one point Cameron spoke about exploring the other moons around Polyphemus.

But at the same time it isn't SO surprising given the kind of grounding he set up in that universe. When it takes 7 years to travel each way, because they're moving at a relatively slow speed compared to most freeballing scifi, suddenly incorporating a whole bunch of other moons and planets starts to become something of a stretch.

Razorback

Logic tells me that Cameron is probably cooking something special and we should be excited.

Here's my reasoning: He can't possibly be doing it for the money. After making the biggest hit of all time, it's to be expected that sequels will follow, but he didn't have to make them himself, and timing wise, it would have been smarter to release them a while ago. So he's taking his sweet time to get it right.

Also, he has hundreds of millions already. I can see a business tycoon wanting his legacy to be to make the most amount of money possible, but Cameron is not the type. He's a creative guy and an explorer. He's already getting up there in age too, so I doubt he would dedicate so much of his precious time left on 4 films whose only purpose is to make money.

This plot about the blue cat people is worth 4 more movies in his mind. How can that possibly warrant 4 more movies? Well, he probably has something really interesting and subversive planned. He has a history of taking sequels in different directions than the originals with great results.

So, despite not seeing anything obviously exciting about 4 more Avatar sequels, I'm really curious why Cameron would want to dedicate so much of his time left doing them.

Or maybe I'm wrong and he just wants to die obscenely rich rather than just filthy rich.

It's going to be fantastic. Few directors have ever made a living, breathing, fleshed out world like Pandora as well as Cameron did.

Also in for the laughably forced "nobody liked Avatar" narrative.

Doesn't really matter when you have a good director who's able to forge good performances out of actors.

Cameron turned fucking Tom Arnold into a memorable character.

Well I was talking about in general. I thought Sam was just fine in Avatar, and him being kind of a generic, bland character kinda worked due to the premise of the film and the audience experiencing the world through him.

Randdalf

Filming four movies at once sounds like an insane thing to pull off. However it turns out, I'm interested to see the results.

Top Bottom