• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Senate votes 98-2 to send Russia sanctions to Trump's desk (Paul/Sanders voted No)

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
The Hill

Senators are sending legislation slapping new sanctions on Moscow to President Trump's desk, setting up a potential showdown with the White House over Russia.

Senators voted 98-2 on the bill, which would give Congress the ability to block Trump from lifting the Russia sanctions. It also includes new penalties against Iran and North Korea.

Sens. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) and Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) voted against the bill.

faint.

Communications director Anthony Scaramucci told CNN that "he may sign the sanctions exactly the way they are, or he may veto the sanctions and negotiate an even tougher deal against the Russians."

Starting that PR spin early.

Nipo

Awesome. I wonder if Trump will sign it since they can obviously overcome his veto. I do wish it were 100-0 but that is asking too much.

Did Comrade Sanders explain why he voted no?

he said iran but i think he's voted against other sanctions too

it's a bad lazy bill and bad foreign policy drawn up for political reasons that will make lowering sanctions next to impossible for even future presidents. it will also hurt our allies.

but we get a "lol donald owned " headlines

Actual image of it being sent to Donald's desk.

zUsq8OzC4Od5VY3vx7ltsk2QS7M=.gif

Wonder what poor soul gets that job.

sangreal

Awesome. I wonder if Trump will sign it since they can obviously overcome his veto. I do wish it were 100-0 but that is asking too much.

He doesn't have to sign it. It will become law if he does nothing. I suspect he will sign it with a broad signing statement though

I wouldn't be so sure about this being veto proof either. "veto proof majorities" have disappeared after a veto before

Ithil

He's a fucking idiot, this is veto proof

If he vetos, it goes back for a vote to override in the Senate and House, and they need only a two thirds majority in both.

At 98-2 in the Senate and 419-3 in the House, even with some stooge GOPers who back off to appease Trump, that override would pass and Trump would just make himself look even more like a Russian puppet without blocking anything.

Zyae

Bernie voted no because he didnt think Iran should be included as it could compromise the Nuclear deal.

Rand Paul is just an asshole.

midramble

Pizza, Bourbon, and Thanos

it's a bad lazy bill and bad foreign policy drawn up for political reasons that will make lowering sanctions next to impossible for even future presidents. it will also hurt our allies.

See I keep seeing this "lazy bill" term. Does anyone know where I can find a summary of the actual terms of the sanctions? What makes these lazy or brash?

After reading that Bill Browder thread I'm starting to question anyone against heavy sanctions.

BasicMath

At 98-2 in the Senate and 419-3 in the House, even with some stooge GOPers who back off to appease Trump, that override would pass and Trump would just make himself look even more like a Russian puppet without blocking anything.
That's not even the end of it. If this breaks out into a trade war, then he'll be able to say that he was the only one that tried to stop it. And it's looking like both Europe and Russia are going to retaliate.

I'm willing to bet he signs it though. I mean, vetoing would be good for him in the long term but I don't think that'll be his way of thinking.
It becomes law even if Trump objects? Since it looks like a veto proof majority.
It's pretty much a lock at this point. The only way to stop it is if the WH and Trump coordinate to promote the narrative that this will ultimately hurt the American people. The people need to turn overwhelmingly against it in a rather short period of time. So yeah, it's not happening. Just coordination from Trump and WH is impossible enough.

There will be a nice tweet storm from Trump about how this is going to turn into Hillary's Trade War and it was brought to us by Obama's weakness and inaction to do anything about Russia. That'll be nice.

theWB27

What do you propose they do? Sit on their hands against Russia?

leroidys

So 51 Republican senators voted yes to "lol pwn" Donald?

They are still an ally of Russia in the middle east is my guess.

Pretty sure the US is pissed they lost Iraq to Iran and Russia after spending that much money in the region.

Not sure how we in the EU will feel about the collateral damage to us. Had rather hoped the Us would have coordinated with the EU.

Trump has no choice but to sign it or he's pretty much guilty of everything that is being said about him. Well he's guilty anyway but he will make it even more obvious.

Ithil

Trump has no choice but to sign it or he's pretty much guilty of everything that is being said about him. Well he's guilty anyway but he will make it even more obvious.

He has an amazing ability to act literally as guilty as is humanly possible at all times.

orochi91

Iran?

They've upheld their part of the treaty, no?

Adding even more sanctions on them seems needlessly petty and vindictive.

What do you propose they do? Sit on their hands against Russia?

discuss with your european allies the best course of action to take as a group, thus ensuring that, whatever you do end up doing, it has the maximum possible impact.
Iran?

They've upheld their part of the treaty, no?

Adding even more sanctions on them seems needlessly petty and vindictive.
fwiw i'd be quite surprised if iran isn't lowkey restarting its nuclear weps program asap. I sure as fuck would do that as soon as i saw that The Orange Twat would be in charge of the most powerful nation in the world.

Not sure how we in the EU will feel about the collateral damage to us. Had rather hoped the Us would have coordinated with the EU.

EU officials already said that they're gonna react quickly and try to protect firms from US influence with an EU regulation or gonna complain at the WTO, since it's threatening EU energy security. So I'm not sure why they're going through with this when the sanctions are throwing their allies under the bus and those are gonna try to limit the effect of the sanctions. Coordination would work better.

But then again, I don't think Trump would coordinate. So I guess they gotta do something so they don't appear weak.

Pretty sure the US is pissed they lost Iraq to Iran and Russia after spending that much money in the region.

You guys in the EU better get ready for Turkey to peace out as well they look ready to start siding with Iran, Russia if things keep up

ultracal31

You don't get to bring friends.

I don't think he'll sign it at first

He'll cite how "smart" he is by not signing it and blame Obama somehow followed by a 3 am tweet

theWB27

discuss with your european allies the best course of action to take as a group, thus ensuring that, whatever you do end up doing, it has the maximum possible impact.

fwiw i'd be quite surprised if iran isn't lowkey restarting its nuclear weps program asap. I sure as fuck would do that as soon as i saw that The Orange Twat would be in charge of the most powerful nation in the world.

While i understand that notion... you'd have our president doing everything he can to degrade any progress made on those discussions.

While i understand that notion... you'd have our president doing everything he can to degrade any progress made on those discussions.

Indeed you would. Still better than to go ahead with a bullheaded move and antagonize your allies in the process. They matter.

Liha

Banned
Democrats are the same garbage as Republicans, can't wait for the sanctions and measures from the EU against the US.

RoKKeR

The Comrade in Chief won't sign this, and will 100% use that BS "oh I'll just negotiate a better, tougher deal" spin to ignore it completely.

Top Bottom