• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spielberg's least favourite Indy movie is...

Chichikov

I watched Temple of Doom when I was 10, and I loved the shit out of it. I have not watched it since, at least not in full (pretty sure I caught it a few times on cable and watched a bit until I got annoyed by commercials). I have defended this movie, even on this board. It wouldn't shock me if you can even find an old posts where I rank it above the Last Crusade (yeah I know, don't jump on me yet, finish reading this post. I was probably a contrarian, it's a bullshit opinion and I will want to retract it).

Well a couple of weeks ago I decided to watch it again, and yeah, ya'll were right, I was wrong. Spielberg is still a great director and that film got some really cool sequences, but as a whole, it's pretty shit. It's not really in the same league of The Last Crusade, never mind Raiders of The Lost Ark. Though I still think it's waaaaaaaaaaay better than the Crystal Skull.

In my defense, I think if you're going to like The Temple of Doom, age 10 is probably where it's going to be, if you know what I mean.

p.s.
Compositing has come a long long way since 1984.

EFq9CPP.png

Considering he was going through a hard time at that point and the fact that he probably didn't like the child-violence, I'm not surprised. I still love the film though.

I was under the assumption we all thought Temple of Doom was the only good one of the series.

Huh, guess I'm finally wrong about something.

120v

it was just a weird movie altogether... though it did end up securing a prominent place in pop culture, even more so than Last Crusade despite being a worse movie

maybe in an alternate reality where we got like 20 Indy movies like originally planned (it was supposed to be their take on Bond) it wouldn't be such an odd duckling. but sandwiched between Raiders, Crusade, and a way after-the-fact sequel two decades later it sticks out like a sore thumb

gforguava

It's my least favorite too.

The opening is amazing, from the logo to "Nice try, Lao Che!" is pretty damn excellent, but the continued presence of Short Round and Willie are just blights on the film, give or take a moment or two.

Wanderer5

Not surprising, given that he has express not being fond of making it before, so yeah. That said, it is much more memorable and a blast compare to Crystal Skull, and probably even better than The Last Crusade.

Morrigan Stark

Arrogant Smirk
Insane thing to say when Crystal Skull exists. Spielberg please.

Anyway, I know there's a lot of bad about Temple of Doom, objectively, but I love this movie. The first Indy movie I saw so nostalgia plays a part, but it's just so fun and memorable and full of classic scenes, I love it.

Kali Ma.... Kali Ma... Kali Ma! Shakti de!

That scene scared the shit out of me as a kid, and I was never scared of movies even horror ones... haha. Just so freaky!

Oh God I am having flashbacks to Kingdom of the Crystal Skull. CGI monkeys and a flying fridge.

My most disappointing cinema experience, even beat out the Phantom Menace.

Raiders is a classic though.

I'll accept this answer. I've never seen Crystal Skull. I've also never seen Matrix Reloaded or Revolutions. I seem to be lucky about this sort of thing.

I legit forgot about Crystal Skull and was about to agree with him.

Regardless, the gap from Raiders and Last Crusade to Temple of Doom is quite large.

Ithil

Wasn't he having a rough time in life during the making of this? That probably sours his memories of the film

DeathyBoy

Banned
Directors are wrong about their own movies all the time.

It's not like that movie isn't wrapped up in most of the shittiest memories of the darkest period of his professional life or anything, either.

The Indy films decrease in quality as they go. Temple is the 2nd best Indy film, despite all its sweaty, freaky ugliness (and in some cases, because of it)

He's been apologizing for it for so long that it's just rote at this point. And tired.

It's a film he literally made while going through a break up so bad that it takes up entire chapters of his life story.

He's never going to worship it the way film fans have.

And that's putting aside the fact that it's a nasty, mean spirited, incredibly uncomfortable (Short Round? For fuck sake...) film taken out of context of how awful the backstory behind the film is.

Yeah, Skull doesn't exist in my world either, Steven. Good lad.

ToD is my joint favourite with Ark, but I know technically it's the poorer of three original films. No shame in that though because it's still great fun to watch!

Top Bottom