• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel's Jessica Jones *SPOILER THREAD* |OT| Thanos is Purple, Man.

Waiting for the Luke Cage show. Jessica upset me the moment she got knocked out by fucking Robin.

Worst powers ever.

Remember Jessica is super strong, not super resistant like Luke is. Seeing a lot of people complaining about how low her resistance is around here and I don't get it. You guys seem to think just because she can bend rubarb with her hands that she can also be hit in the face with it and get up just fine. Just because she can deal damage doesn't mean she can take it also.

I can't remember who Robin is right now (I think it's the twin girl but idk) remember she hit her in the head with a piece of wood. That would knock anyone with human level resistance out.

So anyone get Fringe vibes from the flash drive and kid experiments? Pretty means there are a lot more powered people out there

I mean, within the Marvel universe at this point, there's lots of potential sources for enhanced people. As I watch it, I find myself thinking "if they could use the X-men material they wouldn't need Inhumans and experimentation and alien techmology". That part really doesn't bother me.

I didn't enjoy the series as much as I did Daredevil while I was semi-bingeing it, but after finishing it and thinking about it a bit I do think Jessica Jones is much better and more interesting.

I wonder how the general reception of the show ends up being (it's very well-received critically, I think. and for good reason), since it's really the first MCU show that didn't seem to target either the wide international audience (MCU movies) or adult male comic book audience (Daredevil). The whole show is written and characterized from a very female perspective, not just in terms the show's gender representation but also for its character motivations and its depictions of relationships. In the OT there are a lot of posts that complain about poor or incomplete characterization, but honestly I think this show has been more than thorough about explaining in one way or another why everyone does what they do, and I actually sort of appreciate that they go through so much effort to explain things even if it seems to come at the cost of pacing.

I'm curious to see how people respond to Marvel making such a female-focused show, especially with how many people had problems with BW in Avengers, and with Captain Marvel still coming up (presumably). I think anyone coming into JJ expecting a comic book show are going to end up very disappointed.

After finishing it, I feel the show was a bit one note compared to Daredevil. The entirety of the conflict is laser focused on Kilgrave and Jessica's relationship, with the only sense of larger aspirations for either character hinging entirely on that relationship. Comparing that to Kingpin's larger plans in DD left me wanting at times. Kilgrave's personal history added a hokey sci-fi element rather than what I perceived as a more interesting personal story for Fisk. The limited focus left me wanting at times for something a little bit larger than the characters, which is hinted at but never really explored.

I really enjoyed the angles that Stick's episode and that Madame Gao's character provided in DD. They provided a wider angle view of the plot of the show. You get some of that with the IGH subplot in JJ, but it didn't grab me in quite the same way, maybe because the "science experiment gone wrong" backstory feels so played out. Daredevil felt like it was hinting at more Dr. Strange-ish/magical elements of the MCU, which are new and interesting and fully unexplored. JJ felt like "oh, a science experiment gave someone super powers, never heard that one before."

I was totally onboard until about the time Kilgrave escaped the first time. Then things started to fall apart for me. Things escalated so quickly that they couldnt continue at that pace and the plot lost momentum and direction. A+ performance from Ritter and Tennett though. Everyone else was effective but nobody did much to endear themselves to me. Except maybe Reuben. Poor Reuben.

Sorry I just don't buy a world where aliens rained down from the sky is the same one where people are skeptical of mind control. These shows are actually being hurt by the MCU connections rather than benefitting from them at all. It's a pointless connection at the moment :

I know this is a page back but I really want to address it. I think Luke explained why it's not so easy to except mind controlling powers the best. His unbreakable skin and super strength are something you can see, it's something that isn't hard to prove exists. But mind control is a little muddy and is really hard to prove in a court of law.

I had to explain it to my friend (who also had a problem with this) this way. Just because aliens have invaded doesn't mean we can except everything that's ever existed, ever is actually real. Just because Aliens are real doesn't mean ghost, werewolves, or vampires are real. Also the only character that really doubts Killgrave is real is only Luke because of the a for mentioned reasons. Everyone else is trying to prove Killgrave is real because it doesn't matter how real any of us believe he is it won't hold up without proof.

Cartman86

Banned
I know this is a page back but I really want to address it. I think Luke explained why it's not so easy to except mind controlling powers the best. His unbreakable skin and super strength are something you can see, it's something that isn't hard to prove exists. But mind control is a little muddy and is really hard to prove in a court of law.

I had to explain it to my friend (who also had a problem with this) this way. Just because aliens have invaded doesn't mean we can except everything that's ever existed, ever is actually real. Just because Aliens are real doesn't mean ghost, werewolves, or vampires are real. Also the only character that really doubts Killgrave is real is only Luke because of the a for mentioned reasons. Everyone else is trying to prove Killgrave is real because it doesn't matter how real any of us believe he is it won't hold up without proof.

Yes! This is supposed to exist in a "real" world. In the real world people just don't believe everything they hear. In fact this is a major part of the metaphor of the show. They even make a point of it when trying to find people who actually interacted with Killgrave and not people who just claim it to be famous.

While I'm inclined to agree with this in general, the extreme skepticism you see from some people on the show pushes it, IMO. It's one thing to not automatically believe everything you hear, it's another to (sometimes violently) discard mind control as a possibility. Because in a post aliens-fighting-superhumans world, that's just crazy.

While I'm in here... is it ever explained how Kilgrave's powers work? He has to speak any command he wants to give, so clearly there's an auditory component.

The more effective scene for me was the one where Jessica and Jeri were interviewing people who claimed to have been controlled by him. Mental compulsion presents a convenient scapegoat for... everything, and showing people saying that every bad thing they did was a result of a bad guy forcing them to do it was a good way to show "this is why we can't believe that just any horrible thing that happens in this world is a result of Kilgrave."

While I'm in here... is it ever explained how Kilgrave's powers work? He has to speak any command he wants to give, so clearly there's an auditory component.

They explain it as him emitting a virus that causes people to be susceptible to his suggestions. So basically deaf people and people who don't speak English are safe.

Dragon

Banned
While I'm inclined to agree with this in general, the extreme skepticism you see from some people on the show pushes it, IMO. It's one thing to not automatically believe everything you hear, it's another to (sometimes violently) discard mind control as a possibility. Because in a post aliens-fighting-superhumans world, that's just crazy.

...Did you not finish the show? They explain that his powers are basically a virus that affects people within a certain distance. Which is why Jessica was trying for like three episodes to get him in that hermetically sealed chamber.

It might Inhuman Growth Hormones since they can't use MGH.

Damn. Blew my mind.

People violently avoid racially-biased policing in the real world, despite statistics. Is it honestly hard to believe that mind-control would be treated similarly? The conversation with Cage, where people go with what they can actually see was all about that point.

...Did you not finish the show? They explain that his powers are basically a virus that affects people within a certain distance. Which is why Jessica was trying for like three episodes to get him in that hermetically sealed chamber.

Nah, not finished yet.

I'm a degenerate spoiler hound.

Damn. Blew my mind.

People violently avoid racially-biased policing in the real world, despite statistics. Is it honestly hard to believe that mind-control would be treated similarly? The conversation with Cage, where people go with what they can actually see was all about that point.

Racially based policing is a whole 'nother kettle of fish. People are perfectly capable of blocking out truths they would find unpleasant, I just don't see why "dude can control minds" would be one of them.

Racially based policing is a whole 'nother kettle of fish. People are perfectly capable of blocking out truths they would find unpleasant, I just don't see why "dude can control minds" would be one of them.

Control is one of the few things people believe they have. A man that can take that from anyone at anytime? That's a huge uncomfortable truth. Ever the survivors seemed to have trouble believing it and it actually happened to them.

Yeah, I was hoping for some Daredevil tie in at the very end. Like how cool would it have been if Mat and Froggy had appeared at the very end or something. Or in the scene at the end in the police station. Sure it may have not made much sense, but it would have been cool.

I was fully expecting Matt and Foggy to show up to play Jessica's lawyer at the end.

Control is one of the few things people believe they have. A man that can take that from anyone at anytime? That's a huge uncomfortable truth. Ever the survivors seemed to have trouble believing it and it actually happened to them.

I guess that tracks. My first thought is that what people would refuse to consider is that he would ever target them, try to cut themselves off from the problem, but eh.

Dai101

Banned
Also, is there not a supervillain prison yet...?

There was one.

Indeed there was one. "The Fridge" until HYDRA raided it.

That said..... MCU just lost one of its best villians ever damn...

He was extremely dangerous to let him roam freely, specially now that SHIELD is gone and what's left is far from what someday was.

I am sure Daredevil will hear from Night Nurse

She's not NN.

I just really hate the term gifted

I kinda like it, along with enhanced.

Sorry I just don't buy a world where aliens rained down from the sky is the same one where people are skeptical of mind control. These shows are actually being hurt by the MCU connections rather than benefitting from them at all. It's a pointless connection at the moment :\

Until Wanda (and we really don't know how far her powers work) there haven't been an actual psychic in the MCU and even when SHIELD and HYDRA existed there weren't clues nor facts of their existance and even they scoffed at their existance. Sure we have had Dr. Faustus that worked similarly as Kilgrave did but he's been long dead (at least that whats it seems) and Lorelei which powers only affected men.

I wouldn't mind that. The actor was pretty effective. It just came off as dead weight in the context of this season of television.

It was nice to see a similar actor (appearance wise that is) playing him, like the other side of the coin for Steve Rogers.

Spoilers for the series here:
Spoilers for show:

Son, really? It's the damn spoiler thread ¬¬

Exactly, see my point above.

When does anyone disregard mind control in a violent manor? I don't know what you are talking about here.

And also as far as I can remember no one in the show that knows Jessica on a personal level denies Kilgrave exists except for Luke at first. The rest of the show is trying to get proof that he is real in a court of law.

Just because aliens are real and Thor turned out to be a real guy doesn't mean that you can get off on a murder charge just because you claim you were mind controled. That needs hard proof.

Ritter kind of looks like Michael Jackson when you watch her for a sustained period.

Anyway I said it in the other thread but pretty good show but not as good as daredevil for me. But that was a high bar. No shame in being second in this war. Enjoyed it. Not sold on Luke Cage at all though. As a side character in JJ's show he was alright but even then I found him a bit boring. Can't imagine watching a solo show with him and finding it compelling. He had a good subtlety to him at times but it just wasn't enough.

Kilgrave was obviously great. Ritter was great as JJ most of the time. Not always. The shows tone was a bit heavy handed/hard edged at times but what can ya do. Trish is awesome! Nuke setup was good enough for me.

Damn this show for teasing me. They totally do it on purpose as well. Everytime I hear someone say "I need a lawyer" I fully expect Matt and Foggy to casually walk in.

IT WOULD HAVE BEEN SO EASY AND AMAZING DAMN YOU MAHVEL

Damn this show for teasing me. They totally do it on purpose as well. Everytime I hear someone say "I need a lawyer" I fully expect Matt and Foggy to casually walk in.

would've been nice if they showed pam hiring nelson & murdock as her lawyers.

I 100% thought at the end when Jessica was in jail Rosario was gonna be like "I sent a lawyer her way" or something and then cut to the interrogation with Murdock laying down the smackdown instead of Hogarth.

I mean, within the Marvel universe at this point, there's lots of potential sources for enhanced people. As I watch it, I find myself thinking "if they could use the X-men material they wouldn't need Inhumans and experimentation and alien techmology". That part really doesn't bother me.

After finishing it, I feel the show was a bit one note compared to Daredevil. The entirety of the conflict is laser focused on Kilgrave and Jessica's relationship, with the only sense of larger aspirations for either character hinging entirely on that relationship. Comparing that to Kingpin's larger plans in DD left me wanting at times. Kilgrave's personal history added a hokey sci-fi element rather than what I perceived as a more interesting personal story for Fisk. The limited focus left me wanting at times for something a little bit larger than the characters, which is hinted at but never really explored.

I really enjoyed the angles that Stick's episode and that Madame Gao's character provided in DD. They provided a wider angle view of the plot of the show. You get some of that with the IGH subplot in JJ, but it didn't grab me in quite the same way, maybe because the "science experiment gone wrong" backstory feels so played out. Daredevil felt like it was hinting at more Dr. Strange-ish/magical elements of the MCU, which are new and interesting and fully unexplored. JJ felt like "oh, a science experiment gave someone super powers, never heard that one before."

That's kind of what I mean, comic fans, especially male ones, might not get much out of this show. It has next to no ties with the Marvel universe and is fairly light on comic fanservice. Plus, the show isn't paced like either a procedural or an action movie and isn't really even about superheroes. It uses superpowers to make an allegorical story about control and relationships, sort of like how science fiction usually works (unless you believe the sad puppies stuff). How people's powers work or how they got them aren't the questions the show really asks, it's more along the lines of "how does someone deal with the isolation that comes from being different?" or "what happens when someone with infinite power needs validation?" Kilgrave doesn't have some grand plan and there's actually comparatively very little at stake, Jessica is an inept hero and Kilgrave is an inept villain, but screentime is dedicated to explaining why they do what they do instead of elaborating on how they're doing it.

The show wasn't as easy for me to binge as DD, since I usually wasn't super compelled to watch the next episode, whether by stuff being way too heavy or the pacing being too slow. But ultimately I feel like this show has more substance and wasn't a show I expected out of Marvel, so I'm curious about what would happen if the show ends up disappointing a segment of Marvel's audience.

I 100% thought at the end when Jessica was in jail Rosario was gonna be like "I sent a lawyer her way" or something and then cut to the interrogation with Murdock laying down the smackdown instead of Hogarth.
that would've been great. especially since nelson & murdock just got done cracking a huge case in hell's kitchen.

that was disappointing.
and i'm pretty sure matt murdock was involved in the alias story anyway? it wouldn't have been a forced cameo.

jmood88

Then you 100% weren't paying attention when Jessica talked to Hogarth on the phone and said that she needed her to fight against the attorneys trying to push her out of the firm so that she could keep doing Jessica's lawyering.

I knew I was missing something about Simpson. Finished it a few minutes ago, liked it a lot. Tennant and Colter killed it, now I'm dying for the Luke Cage solo.

Then you 100% weren't paying attention when Jessica talked to Hogarth on the phone and said that she needed her to fight against the attorneys trying to push her out of the firm so that she could keep doing Jessica's lawyering.
I did catch that but when one hopes one forgets. That's how hope works :p

Frog-fu

Banned
Finished the season a few hours ago. Really enjoyed it. It's up there with Daredevil, not quite as good, but close. I definitely think the addition of Luke Cage gave it something special. Mike Colter is fantastic.

David Tennant was a great villain and the perfect foil to Ritter's Jones. Seems, like Daredevil's Wilson Fisk/Kingpin, he isn't quite known as The Purple Man yet - I'm assuming he'll be back for season 2 cause there's just no way they're gonna let Tennant go that easily - so that gives us something to look forward to.

Much as I enjoyed Jessica Jones though, I'm not gonna lie, I was a little salty they killed off Detective Clemons so soon. Clarke Peters is a great actor, and I feel he could've grown much more into his role as a supporting character that helps Jones do her thing in future seasons. It also doesn't help that Daredevil did the same thing with Vondie Curtis-Hall when they offed Ben Urich. Both deaths make sense, but Clemons didn't have that emotional impact. Instead, you've just got two black guys dead for the mistakes of two white women.

Overall, great should. Gets a solid 8-8.5/10 in my book.

edit;

ALSO, WHO ELSE WAS HOPING FOR A DAREDEVIL CAMEO IN THAT LAST EPISODE? I was soooo disappointed it didn't happen. I don't think they even mentioned The Devil of Hell's Kitchen once.

RK128

Re-posting this considering this is a spoiler thread and I used the spoiler tab by mistake. Sorry guys :(.

Saw every episode except Ep. 12 last night and man, the show as impressive :D. I had a few issues with it, but the great parts really stuck out to me.

Spoilers for the series here:
-Loved the characters of Jessica, Purple Man and Luke Cage. All three were perfectly cast and Purple Man/Killgrave in particular was such a great villain. Well spoken and had control over everything, even when that wasn't the case. Jessica was a great character too and I liked how smart she was throughout the story
-Episode 4 was a highlight to me, as they make you think one thing but completely pull the rug under you regarding if Kilgrave/Purple Man hunted down/tricked Jessica. It opens the doors to more people being aware of Super Heroes, which will clearly become a big topic with CA: Civil War next year
-Loved the colors and shadows of the show; really gave this menecing feeling and one that you really couldn't shake. It was a bit lost after episode 5 or 6 but the early episodes perfectly nailed everything regarding this
-Loved her comments on the costume Pam makes for her and the name Jewel; really funny and shows how more 'realistic' the MCU is in comparison to the comics
-The first four-six episodes to me, were perfect. They told this great mystery and I was hooked; wanted to see what happened next. From episode seven onward's I still enjoyed the show, but it didn't match the first few episodes
-I was disapointed that the show wasn't as dark as the comic Alias. The show still touches on that and there are some very graphic elements I never expected from something out of the MCU (bodies fill of blood, sex being a present topic, mind control being explored, and the torture scenes that Kilgrave faced as a kid reminded me of what Wolverine faced in X2 (where he was being tested on/filled with antimantium)).
-But we don't see what Killgrave did to Jessica during the time her controlled her. We see flash backs of this, but I would have loved an episode that was just a 50-minute flashback to the 8 months he had control over her. THAT would have been very dark and twisted but I understand why they didn't go that direction; even on Netflix and away from TV censors, Marvel and Netflix don't want to link to all that stuff to the MCU (which this is a part off, good or bad)
-I'm torn on the side characters. A few of them I really liked; Malcom's arc was great, Jessica's best friend Pam was a great characters, and Pam's boyfriend was enjoyable (though got a bit old by the end; the 'twist' with him was somewhat expected but not that interesting....he was always a bit off to me since the first time we meet him). The rest of the side characters ranged from okay too annoying. That creepy sister in particular I hated; she was such a waste to focus on in the latter episodes and she is the reason Kilgrave was able to kill Hope.
-I am also torn on the episodes length. I love the fact that I am watching more or less a full Marvel Movie every two or so episodes but if they made it 30-40 minutes, they could focus more on the core cast/story a bit more.

Otherwise, I really enjoyed this show and considering I only watched the first two episodes of Daredevil, I really am going to dive into that this weekend :D!

I would give this a 7.5/8 out of 10; great set up and does a lot right but fumbles a bit toward the end. Considering episode length and refusal to completely dive into the darker elements of the comic, that is almost expected but the show is still a fantastic ride and I look forward to seeing Jessica appear in future Marvel Netflix shows in the future :D.

Nelo Ice

Banned

And we would have all collectively lost our shit. I wanted to mark out so bad for any DD appearance.

Dai101

Banned

tumblr_ngbx83skL81sg5htto1_500.jpg

jmood88

Finished the season a few hours ago. Really enjoyed it. It's up there with Daredevil, not quite as good, but close. I definitely think the addition of Luke Cage gave it something special. Mike Colter is fantastic.

David Tennant was a great villain and the perfect foil to Ritter's Jones. Seems, like Daredevil's Wilson Fisk/Kingpin, he isn't quite known as The Purple Man yet - I'm assuming he'll be back for season 2 cause there's just no way they're gonna let Tennant go that easily - so that gives us something to look forward to.

Much as I enjoyed Jessica Jones though, I'm not gonna lie, I was a little salty they killed off Detective Clemons so soon. Clarke Peters is a great actor, and I feel he could've grown much more into his role as a supporting character that helps Jones do her thing in future seasons. It also doesn't help that Daredevil did the same thing with Vondie Curtis-Hall when they offed Ben Urich. Both deaths make sense, but Clemons didn't have that emotional impact. Instead, you've just got two black guys dead for the mistakes of two white women.

Overall, great should. Gets a solid 8-8.5/10 in my book.

edit;

ALSO, WHO ELSE WAS HOPING FOR A DAREDEVIL CAMEO IN THAT LAST EPISODE? I was soooo disappointed it didn't happen. I don't think they even mentioned The Devil of Hell's Kitchen once.
I was really annoyed at how little they used Clark Peters and how quickly he was killed off. Like you, it immediately reminded me of how stupid Ben's death was (I will never like Karen because of how she got him killed).

yeah, that last part did make it pretty heavily disappointing.

if it's to prove that jessica jones doesn't need a major tv character in her show for it to stand on its own legs, it's just a cameo, and it would've been absolutely appropriate, all things considered.

With claire in the last one I thought for sure Matt fucking Murdock would be sitting next jess as her lawyer. Damn you marvel!

Frog-fu

Banned
I was really annoyed at how little they used Clark Peters and how quickly he was killed off. Like you, it immediately reminded me of how stupid Ben's death was (I will never like Karen because of how she got him killed).

While it has certainly made me like Karen less, I thought killing off Ben Urich was the right move. His death had a legitimate impact on the show and on me as a viewer.

Detective Clemons' death didn't. That just made me think "Fuck you, Nuke" and how much wasted potential went down the drain.

I'd say overall, Daredevil definitely had the stronger supporting cast. Just too many good and likeable characters. I definitely liked the apartment tenants in Jessica Jones, but they don't quite measure up. Hell, Daredevil has a full cast of great villains in its first season and I liked all of them without a single exception.

Garlador

Just finished. I have... mixed opinions about it.

Overall, I did like it and acknowledge it was well made... but it wasn't a very "enjoyable" experience. Yes, that's true to the comics too, but I found this easily the most morose, graphic, and miserable time in the MCU. And that's fine for what it was... but it did become a bit much for me towards the end.

Having lost a dear friend to a crazy man who stabbed her to death over 30 times, some of those scenes hit way too close to home in the name of "realism"... and I know that's on me, but I just... I couldn't enjoy it. I just couldn't.

Frog-fu

Banned
yeah, that last part did make it pretty heavily disappointing.

if it's to prove that jessica jones doesn't need a major tv character in her show for it to stand on its own legs, it's just a cameo, and it would've been absolutely appropriate, all things considered.

I don't think Daredevil didn't show up because Jessica had to stand on her own legs as a character. I think it just came down to logistics.

I would've appreciated more nods to Daredevil though considering in the comic tie-in Jessica is aware he exists.

A bunch of buildings blew up and went up in flames not too long ago but they didn't even reference that either.

AniHawk

finished watching it and i think it's a show with some really great casting for the main protagonist and antagonist that offsets what is mostly wasted potential.

so, if i was making a show about jessica jones, i would have followed the alias formula a lot more closely. have the entire first half of the show about actual mysteries. through those, let us learn how jessica deals with people and stress. let us see how she thinks. don't give us any flashbacks. i think one of the biggest issues with this show is that her character is basically defined by kilgrave, which kind of sucks. we don't get to know her very well as a person before it's suddenly 'oh shit, kilgrave's back!'

then, about halfway through the show, do what was basically episode 1. but make him a ghost. kilgrave was at his creepiest when we didn't see him directly, and his power is diminished greatly once we see his face. this is still okay, but then they make the mistake of showing the monster way too much, and beyond that, explaining why the monster is really this guy who was mistreated and became this way. yuck. we did that for the kingpin. it worked for the kingpin because he had a fucked up family life that people could sort of relate to, and we got to see his downfall from wannabe-savior to villain ('i am the ill-intent' speech). it doesn't work for kilgrave because kilgrave's this guy who gets whatever he wants. it's worse when the show kind of has the viewer sympathize with him a bit, showing that he has some desire for reform (even if it's just to be with jessica), and that he still wants love from his mother. why couldn't kilgrave just be this really really bad guy who doesn't give a shit about all that stuff? is it because tennant is so charming that i was hard to make him unrepentant in how evil he is? i think my favorite part for kilgrave was episode 2, where he enters the household and tells the kids to go in the closet. not because he was being a dick to children, but because i had the impression that kilgrave actually didn't give a shit for their wellbeing and probably would have left them for dead.

on the subject of flashbacks, i think there could have just been one episode dedicated to it, and about how jessica came under his control and broke free. kilgrave was also scary here when he realized he lacked control. the explanation of his powers, giving him super powers, and jessica having an antidote in her blood on the other hand was really dumb and lazy, especially when it amounted to nothing. in the last few episodes, nothing really smart happens, and nothing seems to threaten jessica. i know it's corny, but maybe instead of jessica straight up murdering the guy, maybe have some sort of juxtaposition with kilgrave's support being him in control of strangers, but alone, where jessica is abrasive and chaotic but has a network of friends who will help her out. the plan to capture kilgrave early on was a nice way to do this, especially since we didn't know his motivations yet.

finally, what made the struggle compelling, despite my dislike for kilgrave's motivations, were the odds jessica jones and crew were facing. just how do you convince people about mind control and then convict the guy? it seemed like a really big uphill battle which is soon squandered with the remaining episodes being 'let's kill him!' as if that hadn't been suggested by multiple characters several times throughout the show. it also lessens jessica as a character i think. we know she has the strength to kill people, especially a guy like kilgrave, who poses literally no threat to her at the end since she's immune to him in addition to having super strength. i mean at the point he's walking up to her and stuff, trish could have pulled out a gun and just shot him in the back of the head. just seems like a uselessly empty resolution that does nothing for the character.

and really, jessica and kilgrave were the good parts of the show. everything else was either annoying, boring, or useless. will simpson was a guy who i just couldn't stand. and then they do stuff like kill the old black guy who's x days/weeks/months/years from retirement. really? come on.

i really wanted to love this show, but wound up only liking certain parts of it. so much opportunity with these characters and that casting, and ultimately it's just squandered.

kirblar

i would have followed the alias formula a lot more closely. have the entire first half of the show about actual mysteries
Agree 1 billion percent on this. They jumped full bore into the Killgrave storyline way too soon - Ep10 was essentially a penultimate episode....with 3 episodes left to go. I loved Ep4 and the way it subverted expectations, and 1 or two more cases early would have gone a really long way to pacing the endgame of the show out better.

They got a lot right, I think. The good news for them is that the stuff they got wrong is REALLY obvious and actually shouldn't be that hard to fix. (Get better action guys/directors, do more standalone cases, avoid giving screen time to useless tertiary characters because you had to stretch things out too much.)

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
Remember Jessica is super strong, not super resistant like Luke is. Seeing a lot of people complaining about how low her resistance is around here and I don't get it. You guys seem to think just because she can bend rubarb with her hands that she can also be hit in the face with it and get up just fine. Just because she can deal damage doesn't mean she can take it also.

But using her full strength would destroy her body if that was the case. Shit makes no sense. Even normal people routinely break bones just hitting other people.

Sai-kun

Banned
I was disappointed that the rapist piece of human garbage didn't get a real beating pounded into him before he died. He got off too easy and quick.

Dalek

Anihawk I agree with you. I'm only 6 episodes in but I wish there had been more standalone mysteries before Kilgrave resurfaced.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
But using her full strength would destroy her body if that was the case. Shit makes no sense. Even normal people routinely break bones just hitting other people.
Its a fictional show. Some stuff just makes no sense.
I always find it strange that people bring up this kind of complaints in superheroe shows o_O

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Two negative things stood out to me: The way-too-soon singling out of Kilgrave's return as the sole main focus of the show (and the various 'we can't kill him because X' rationale which then gets abruptly solved by the girl cutting her jugular)...I agree that it somewhat lessened Jessica's own development, and made it her, but mainly in the context of Kilgrave, especially as her 'road to recovery' after she finds out he's alive is pretty stilted/uneven.

And the 'your wife made me immune' reasoning with Cage in ep. 12 - that Jessica was trying to fight, so that (apparently), her doing something she REALLY didn't want to do activated her immune system or what have you, which led to her developing immunity...was really lame. I can kind of see what they were trying to accomplish, but the introduction of the science basis felt out of place and tacked on.

However, loved Jessica and Luke's complicated relationship (though what Luke's wife had all that information on mutants/gifted beyond Luke is slightly odd), as well as Jessica and Trish. The snippets we got expanding upon their relationship and growing up together worked really, really well.

Sidenote: The 'I have super strength but I still can get beat up easily' is kinda weird, if only because if the muscles took damage from 'normal' events, they'd tear themselves up whenever she utilized her super-strength. And on that note, the 'jumping and falling' seemed....all over the place, lol. Still liked the casual displays of her abilities, rather than making them a huge thing, though.

Top Bottom