• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Westworld - Live in Your World, Play in Ours - Sundays on HBO

NeoGiff

I know nothing about the source material or the film apart from the very basics of the premise. Super-hyped to jump into this!

- Time.com review
And Westworld, the new HBO series set at the park, is as beautifully built as its subject matter. Its carefully chosen details add up to a pulp spectacular that’s more thoughtful than any other of this fall’s new dramas.
- Washington Post review
I’m therefore hesitant to write “Westworld” off as a dreary trot from start to finish; parts of it are as imaginative and intriguing as anything that’s been on TV recently, particularly in the sci-fi realm. It’s definitely not the cyborg “Deadwood” that some HBO fans were actively wishing for, nor does it roll out the welcome mat as a riveting, accessible adventure. You’ll have to fight your way in and, like The Man in Black, you’ll need to stick to your guns and discover the answers you seek. If there are any.
- Slate.com review
The new Westworld, created by married couple Jonathan and Lisa Joy Nolan and the result of a long, bumpy development process, is a canny big swing for HBO: simultaneously the vast, thematically rich, plot-drenched drama full of sex and violence the network so desperately needs in the fast-approaching post–Game of Thrones era and a kind of apologia for the creepy sexual violence that has long powered the network and prestige dramas more generally.* The show is promising with an asterisk, starting strong before casting about for distractions—hocus-pocus backstory, a quest, an unnecessary mythology—from its morally disturbing premise.
- Tampa Bay Times review
After so much buildup, years of production mired in controversy, television critics and fans were left wondering if HBO's Westworld would be another smash hit like Game of Thrones. After seeing the first four episodes, I can say that it did deliver, even beyond my expectations.
- Daily Beast review
So what’s there to make of this show? Given how meticulously plotted, even if it is to a fault, the first few episodes are, there should be faith that there’s some sort of mind-blowing payoff in store. The subject matter certainly lends itself to that. In the meantime, even if occasionally baffling and a little disjointed, the very idea of the show and the production value is worthy of investment, even if there’s a lack of feeling to provoke intense passion for it.
- Boston Globe review
“Westworld” has fewer heroes than “Game of Thrones,” which makes it a bit harder to warm up to, but like a good, thought-provoking puzzle, it is compelling and addictive. The small bits of humor help, too. For the foreseeable future, I’m in.
- Las Vegas Weekly
From a plotting standpoint, the show doesn’t always make logical sense, but it looks amazing (every penny of the huge budget is evident onscreen) and features multiple strong performances (Thandie Newton and Shannon Woodward are additional standouts). Like most prestige dramas these days, it’s slow to get started, but its world should be worth exploring. 3 out of 5 stars
- Pittsburgh Post Gazette review
Grade: (A-): The pilot for “Westworld” is a bit uneven but after diving into subsequent episodes I felt like a guest at the park, my eyes opening to the show’s possibilities and seeing things I never noticed before. Sometimes it was small things but other times it was something deeper and more meaningful. After watching the first three episodes I’m not exactly sure where “Westworld” is taking me but I can’t wait to see how deep the rabbit hole goes.
- Salon review
Should “Westworld’s” ultimate purpose be to invite some level of self-examination within the audience, making us contemplate the callousness with which we give free rein to violence as sport, well done, then. That’s achieved by the end of the premiere. Considering the source, though, this idea has a bitter irony to it, making it tough to determine whether the drama’s ongoing investigation of existential concepts and morality is truly worthy of the time it will take to play this game through to the finish.

Other content:

- EW: Westworld star Jeffrey Wright: 'Each script is a psychedelic birthday cake'
- Variety: ‘Westworld’ Premiere Addresses Production Delay, ‘Game of Thrones’ Comparisons and Violence
- NY Times: Is ‘Westworld’ HBO’s Next Big Hit?

Are all the reviews based on the first 4 episodes? I was under the impression some had seen the entire season.
Most are based on the first four episodes, but a couple of them have only seen the pilot or a few less than four. I don't know of anyone that's seen the full season.

Are all the reviews based on the first 4 episodes? I was under the impression some had seen the entire season.
That's one thing I hate about early TV reviews. I get why shows put out these advance episodes, but often the reviews sounds like a judgement on the entire show and don't ruminate on how and why the show could improve in the episodes they haven't seen

Can't believe were just a few days from watching this. Comic adaptations are fun but glad to see some sci-fi remakes. I need to re-watch the first film this weekend.

Gyrian

Get an ambitious GAFfer to banner-ize it for you and we can have a vitruvian free OP. ;)

EDIT: Here's the big version of the poster for anyone that wants to take a crack at it.

That is one fantastic looking poster!
I dug the design enough to give this one a try. Same dimensions as the banner we currently have on:

TUht9DP.gif

Poor attempt made in GIMP, anyone feel free to whip up something better. I tried to somehow make it look like an eye, but I'm too lazy and/or not skilled enough for a smoother transition. 4am over here.

Text still looks janky, will have to fix that later.
I dug the design enough to give this one a try. Same dimensions as the banner we currently have on:

TUht9DP.gif
Thanks to you both. Ratsky can use one of those for the OP if he wants.

- Vanity Fair review
Westworld’s vastness, its sprawl of characters and plot lines, could easily be unwieldy and confusing. But instead it’s rather carefully, thoughtfully crafted—despite a reportedly troubled production. Well, beyond the first episode, anyway. Once the show’s two halves fuse together—the dark Western yarn marrying the pensive, eerie futurist science-fiction—the series becomes something beguiling. It’s beautifully acted and intricately written, frightening and probing and provocative. I am perhaps taking it on a good deal of privileged faith that the series will continue to interrogate the gender disparity intrinsic in its premise; if it does, it will be well worth watching. I don’t think this is going to set the globe aflame like Game of Thrones did. But Westworld could at least assert itself as a rare kind of truly transporting television—what we might have once called must-see.
- USA Today review
For anyone who loves coherent science fiction, beautifully shot vistas, artfully constructed mysteries, and compelling stellar performances, it's money well spent. You may, however, need more than one hour to reach that conclusion. Like most premium-cable dramas, which don’t face the fast-out-of-the-gate ratings pressure that broadcast series do, Westworld takes time creating its universe. 3.5 out of 4 stars
- Alyssa Rosenberg for The Washington Post
Like any good game, “Westworld” operates on multiple levels, and it can do so because of its outstanding cast.

Also:

- Esquire interview with the showrunners
Esquire: You kind of mentioned it earlier, but I think this show connects so well to our moral choices in a realm where they wouldn't have any real-world consequences. Do you think our modern or current version of Westworld would be how we treat other people online on social medial or in video game?

Nolan: That's a great observation.

Joy: It really is. No one's actually pointed that out before, but I think it's really true. We thought about mostly with gaming, but ... the way in which technology works now is it allows a barrier between people [discussing a subject] and the subject of what's being discussed. And I think that within that you can start to feel an otherness with the person that you're dealing with, and that leads to all sorts of bad behavior.

Nolan: There's this long observed phenomenon that killing in war time is easier the more distant you are from your target. And the more automated we can make killing people, the easier it is for people to do it, right? I mean, that's long been a function of warfare, it's a well-understood phenomenon within that world. And we've taken that logic and applied it to our social interactions online. It's no wonder why Twitter becomes a fucking heaping mass of wretchedness. Then there's a real question that company's actively struggling with right now in terms of how do we prevent this from sliding into being a cesspool in which people behave in ways that they would never behave in person?

It is kind of a fascinating dehumanizing world that we're sort of stepping ever more rapidly into. But I think all of us are kind of saying, "Wait a fucking second, you know, how do we retain some level of civilization and humanity?" How do we hold onto some of that in a world that is becoming ever more confusing when it comes to our interactions with people? We've been able to take on board all of these innovations and adapt very rapidly to them. But you still fundamentally have some human attributes that don't work very well in the world that we've created, you know? Which is part of the reason why new technologies and things that social media should be a wonderful thing and is often not, because we're all broken.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
There is an ARG on the website.

A host called Aeden sent me an email.
I went in to ask a few questions.

The park is essentially an open world video game.
For example if you think you want to be a hero, you have to go and visit Dolores and help her out.
Dolores’ father cautions against the bandits in those hills, and yet he often finds his own home under attack.
AEDEN
If you’re interested in playing the hero, head to Abernathy Ranch after dark. Dolores will need you to fend off attackers and save her life.
AEDEN
Her thankfulness will know no bounds.

I wanted to take a screen shot.
Pressing Shift does something. The screen goes crazy and you hear an audio:

"You should go.....[inaudible]...hell is empty...and all the devils are here".

I take it James Marsden's character is someone playing a hero. Doing the Dolores mission often.

Edit: You can do other missions with Dolores too.

Corpsepyre

Banned
It's rated 74 on Metacritic, with 20 reviews. Thought they'd be better, given the early praise I heard. Variety gave it a 3/10. Hah. Guess this will divide critics.

But anyway, bad site to judge a TV show from.

Symphonic

Saw a preview of the first episode of this tonight.

This could pretty easily be HBO's best show as long as nothing goes drastically wrong. Infinitely interesting and I'm excited to see where it goes next. Music and acting are all stellar.

- Matt Zoller Seitz’s review for NY Mag
Most startling of all are the bursts of feeling that bloom inside Nolan and Joy’s puzzle-box narrative structures. These, too, regard themselves with two minds. They are great TV moments but also comments on the act of watching TV, a medium whose long-form stories eventually thaw even the iciest viewers’ hearts, whether they think the show in question is good or bad, ambitious or merely pretentious.
- NY Times review
“Westworld” was created by Jonathan Nolan and Lisa Joy, with the 1973 Michael Crichton movie as a starting point. Like some of Mr. Nolan’s past work (“Memento,” “Interstellar,” “Person of Interest”), it’s strongest as an intellectual exercise, but it runs chilly.

What keeps “Westworld” interesting in its early going, despite its flat patches and flights of pretentiousness, is its willingness to think big. Is there a difference between simulated and actual consciousness? Are we pushing our entertainments to be brutal, or are those entertainments pushing us to be?
- Pittsburgh Post Gazette review
It is the definition of a slow-burn series, a program that should be exciting rendered as kind of dull.

“Westworld” isn’t unwatchable. It foreshadows some potentially intriguing revelations and raises questions — How does this amusement park work? What year is it set in anyway? — but early on the series holds its cards close to the vest, which might frustrate viewers seeking a story with forward momentum.
- Detroit News review
In “Westworld,” HBO again brings viewers a sprawling universe filled with unique characters, moral and ethical dilemmas, violence, sex and wide-ranging stories. What the show lacks, though, is a depth of human connection.

Which is understandable, given that most of the characters here are robots. But then they are — potentially disastrously — leaning toward consciousness, so maybe the show will warm up. Grade: B
- TV Guide review
When it all comes together, Westworld is one of the most intriguing new series of the year and the best new science-fiction series on television. It won't be HBO's next massive hit, but for people like me -- and hopefully you -- it won't matter. You'll want to visit Westworld and never leave.

- SF Chronicle review
Very brainy but thoroughly gripping sci-fi series
- IndieWire review
Only time will tell if “Westworld” is able to live up to its own towering philosophical standards, but it’s doing almost all the little things right thus far.

Grade: A-

Also:
- LA Times: Ed Harris talks Westworld

Went to the premiere of this last night. I'm not a big sci-fi or Western guy, but I thought this was absolutely amazing. Just an amazing world to explore, and there are lots of things I'm sure I'll pick up on the rewatch.

Can't wait to see where this goes.

jett

D-Member
It's rated 74 on Metacritic, with 20 reviews. Thought they'd be better, given the early praise I heard. Variety gave it a 3/10. Hah. Guess this will divide critics.

But anyway, bad site to judge a TV show from.

I don't think TV critics matter one iota. Look how much crap gets high a rating at RT. How does Preacher have 89%?

Those ratings are useless because they only tend to apply to the pilot or first few episodes. They never represent an opinion of a show on the whole

Its ok to gather opinions on single issue products like a movie or a video game that comes complete right out the box, but TV iust...no. Same thing with RT. Different mediums, different standards. But good luck getting people to realize that.

- Slashfilm review
What’s most exciting about Westworld isn’t the questions, the surprising amount of laughs, or all the violence and sex expected from HBO. In one scene, Dr. Robert Ford explains the appeal of Westworld: people come back for the fine details, not the shock and horror. Westworld‘s shock and horror are top-notch, but the subtleties are what make the first handful of episodes addictive. I’m in the midst of watching the episodes again, and on the second watch, new details flourish, especially in the pilot. The J.J. Abrams-executive-produced show has scenes, performances, and lines to be studied under a microscope. Westworld, at least at the start, is as rewarding as it is entertaining.
- EW review
State-of-the-art TV about state of the art escapism, Westworld is an amazing mirror maze that must be traversed. Grade: A-

Also:
- Deadline interview: ‘Westworld’ EPs On HBO Series’ Evolution, Robot Ethics, Nude Extras & Season 2 Possibilities
- Joe Adalian for NY Mag: Will Westworld Be the Big Win HBO Needs?

Its ok to gather opinions on single issue products like a movie or a video game that comes complete right out the box, but TV iust...no. Same thing with RT. Different mediums, different standards. But good luck getting people to realize that.

Nah, 4 episodes of a 10 episode season is easily enough to make an informed review and let people know if something is worth checking out or not.

Joni

Nah, 4 episodes of a 10 episode season is easily enough to make an informed review and let people know if something is worth checking out or not.
Reviews for daredevil and Jessica Jones missed the shows crashing just after the first half.

I'd disagree. That's not even the halfway point, and often in serialized shows, the back half pacing is hugely informed and often accelerated from the build-up of the early episodes, or can make those events appear in new light and perspective.

It's like reading the first few chapters of a book and then offering judgement on the book as a whole

Beefy

I'd disagree. That's not even the halfway point, and often in serialized shows, the back half pacing is hugely informed and often accelerated from the build-up of the early episodes, or can make those events appear in new light and perspective.

It's like reading the first few chapters of a book and then offering judgement on the book as a whole

Agree with this. The first few episodes are usually a little bland due to them building the world etc. You need far more then 4 episodes to judge a series.

Yeah but look at those Jessica Jones reviews. Absurd praise for a series that just consistently got worse as it continued until it's dumpster fire finale

If the season is available they should just give it all to the reviewer. But then you have the problem of leaks and spoilers I guess

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
For those wondering about the possible inclusion of Medieval World and Roman World:

"The film’s story was virtually limitless and so is television at this moment with audiences enjoying shows that break out of their traditional story structures,” said Nolan. “We definitely look to fully exploit that aspect of storytelling in Westworld.

A bit vague, but it sounds like they're considering it!

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Poor attempt made in GIMP, anyone feel free to whip up something better. I tried to somehow make it look like an eye, but I'm too lazy and/or not skilled enough for a smoother transition. 4am over here.

Text still looks janky, will have to fix that later.

TUht9DP.gif

Thanks to both of you for taking the time to make a new banner for the OT.

I think I'll go with Gyrian's because it's a bit bigger and more detailed, but yours is pretty good too El Topo! :D

For those wondering about the possible inclusion of Medieval World and Roman World:

A bit vague, but it sounds like they're considering it!

Omg. I love westerns so I'm all in for the hybrid sci fi western thing they're giving us here but I would definitely also be open to HBO digging down into the Rome well with this a season or two in

- YahooTV review
My problem with Westworld is a more simple-minded one that lies in its Old West setup: Having watched the four episodes HBO has made available, I found it difficult to become involved in the action of the various gunfights and sex scenes. I mean, if the guests can never die, where’s the suspense? If the hosts are programmed to be attracted to anyone who’s attracted to them, where’s the possibility of romantic allure? I know, things do and will go “wrong” as Westworld proceeds, but much of the necessary scene-setting — of happy guests arriving and discovering the joys of shooting and screwing to their hearts’ content — becomes repetitive quickly. And I say this as someone who loves westerns.
- Vox review
I’ll keep watching for a little while. But even though it’s sleek, frequently thoughtful, and always cool, Westworld’s scattered self never coheres into anything.
- The Ringer review
The best thing about the Westworld pilot is that you’ll never feel tempted to check your watch. That may read like the ultimate example of damning with faint praise, but it’s a more significant accomplishment than it sounds. It means that, from the very start, Westworld overcomes the biggest obstacle facing an ambitious cable drama in the time of Peak TV: Westworld actually earns its running time rather than struggling to fill it.
- io9 review
Westworld is a gorgeous, dense, thoughtful show that demands your full attention. It’s messy and confusing at times, but its flaws are more than outweighed by its virtues. There so much to talk about and unpack that Westworld’s destined to be an obsession—at least for those people who’re willing to stick it out.
- Fresno Bee review
Despite being a well acted and smartly written series, there’s no way “Westworld” will become the phenomenon that “Thrones” has become. But, it’s a very solid addition to the lineup because it can be viewed with equal bemusement on a superficial level because of the sex, sand and showdowns or on a cerebral level through the questions that bounce up against philosophical and theological walls.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I know as little as you could know about this. Barely even watched trailers. I just know some of the people involved and there is a Western somewhere. I am excited for HBO to deliver another great show. I still have to watch The Night Of though, im sure thats real good.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Omg. I love westerns so I'm all in for the hybrid sci fi western thing they're giving us here but I would definitely also be open to HBO digging down into the Rome well with this a season or two in

I have no idea how this even works, but I don't see why HBO wouldn't try to reuse some of the costumes and props from Game of Thrones for Medieval World. The sets are all in other countries, so it'd probably be infeasible to dismantle them and ship them internationally, but I don't see why they couldn't do it for the costumes and stuff.

jett

D-Member
Yeah but look at those Jessica Jones reviews. Absurd praise for a series that just consistently got worse as it continued until it's dumpster fire finale

If the season is available they should just give it all to the reviewer. But then you have the problem of leaks and spoilers I guess

Goddamn. I abandoned that shit after episode one since it bored me out of my mind. I guess I made the right choice.

TV critics overall seem incredibly lenient, even more than the ones on the gaming side of things. The most amazing thing is when I occasionally click a review for a single episode and I get a massive testament that goes on forever.

Completely forgot about this until a friend kept telling me to watch the trailer. Now I'm pretty interested, I watched the 73 movie ages ago so I might do that again before this launches.

The cast is just sublime.

I'm not sure why so many of the reviews are talking about the fact that this won't become as big as GoT. That's obvious, there's almost nothing in existence right now that can become as big as Thrones.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
I'm not sure why so many of the reviews are talking about the fact that this won't become as big as GoT. That's obvious, there's almost nothing in existence right now that can become as big as Thrones.
Probably because the first reviews were saying exactly that. It's actually my reason for being interested in the show and I'm going to be disappointed if it's not as good as Game of Thrones.

Probably because the first reviews were saying exactly that. It's actually my reason for being interested in the show and I'm going to be disappointed if it's not as good as Game of Thrones.
As big doesn't equal as good. I think most reviews were saying this could be a big hit and appeal to a wide audience like GoT, not that it's going to be as the same quality as GOT

As big doesn't equal as good. I think most reviews were saying this could be a big hit and appeal to a wide audience like GoT, not that it's going to be as the same quality as GOT

I got expectations of this being a better show than game of thrones. I've enjoyed that series but its not that high a bar to clear on the writing or acting front tbh. Would be disappointed if this ends up worse

This certainly has production values that look almost as great as GOT tho. And a even better cast starting out the gate

Should I watch the movie before the show? Is this basically a remake/reboot?

Edit: To be clear, I went on blackout intentionally after reading it's premise.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
That makes more sense, hopefully it is as good or at least as entertaining.

cyba89

To be fair Thrones always got bigger as it went on (similar to Breaking Bad). Without knowing the exact ratings but Thrones didn't reach this "super all-over-the-internet omnipresence"-status until Season 4 or so.
Not really fair to compare a first season of a show to what Thrones is now after six seasons.

Top Bottom