• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo full year financial results [23.2B yen loss, 3.6M Wii U/12M 3DS forecast]

AniHawk

bleh shit like wii party u sells more than million while pikmin 3 isn't even listed

wii party u was bundled with the system in japan. the only million seller that probably got there on its own is super mario 3d world.

edit: my brain is doing weird things. i rarely make the their there mistake. maybe i should take up drinking.

Richie

The less said about the Wii U's hardware performance the better, but that's some damn impressive attach rates the platform's got. On the 3DS side, I'd have expected Fire Emblem: Awakening to crack a million by now, but I don't see it listed?...

Sandfox

There's nothing he can say to hide the fact that the Wii U is a complete failure of a product, designed and released on his watch.

We all know how both tech and entertainment products work - if a product isn't a success within it's first year and a half then it's very unlikely to ever gain momentum and become a success. The Wii U is what it is, and it's not pretty. Iwata can't whitewash this, not now that the investors have the hard data.

Rough times for him, and that's why he's distracting everyone with his 'Shangri-La meets El Dorado' Qwol stuff.

I meant what has lined up for Nintendo as a company, not the Wii U specifically.

HUELEN10

Holy fuck...
9vj6VEN.png

Does this mean that Super Mario 3D world is the only retail game on Wii U to hit over a million units that wasn't ever a pack-in or bundled?
Updating with 3DS for new page.
TW9GbiR.png

Both are as of March 31, 2014 BTW.

Hatchtag

Banned
Honest question, is the Wii Party franchise selling better than Mario Party? Really wondering why they swapped to that. You'd think Mario would have more selling power.

Griss

12.26 Million Pokemon X/Y (does anyone know how this is tracking compared to other games?)
9.62 Million MK7 (same here)
9.27 SM3DLand
7.82 million NSMB2 (comparison to NSMB?)
7.66 ACNL
3.98 million for Luigi's Mansion Dark Moon (still feels like it came out of nowhere)
3.5 million for Nintendogs+Cats
3.35 OoT 3D
2.51 million for ALBW
2.21 Million Paper Mario Sticker Star
2.08 Mario and Luigi dream Team
1.85 million Tomodachi life

Good god, look at that beautiful list of amazing games. 3DS is and was a first-party paradise.

So happy to see:
-3D Land above NSMB2
-New Leaf's stratospheric sales (from such a humble seed did this franchise grow, who could have predicted it)
-OoT over ALBW with solid sales for both
-Amazing sales for Luigi's Mansion, a really phenomenal game
-Two excellent versions of sales blockbusters in Mario Kart and Pokemon getting the sales they deserve

Really think that they'll struggle to get the same sales this year unless they have some really special stuff planned at E3. The titles above will still have legs, but they need at least something new to keep shifting new devices.

HUELEN10

Honest question, is the Wii Party franchise selling better than Mario Party? Really wondering why they swapped to that. You'd think Mario would have more selling power.
That's why they released a 3DS entry. They've stopped milking it so much, release entries slower than before.

The less said about the Wii U's hardware performance the better, but that's some damn impressive attach rates the platform's got. On the 3DS side, I'd have expected Fire Emblem: Awakening to crack a million by now, but I don't see it listed?...

It's only the top sellers, iirc, not the 1 million + sellers. Note that the lowest seller is 1.85 million. Mario Tennis Open was on the list last year, too.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Wii U FY 2014 up to Q3 - 2,410,000
Wii U FY 2014 total forecast - 2,800,000

Wii U units to ship in order to reach the forecasted goal - 399,000

Wii U FY 2014 software up to Q3 - 15,960,000
Wii U FY 2014 software total fotecast - 19,000,000

Wii U software units to ship in order to reach the forecasted goal - 3,040,000

3DS FY 2014 up to Q3 - 11,650,000
3DS FY 2014 total forecast - 13,500,000

3DS units to ship in order to reach the forecasted goal - 1,850,000

3DS FY 2014 software up to Q3 - 57,250,000
3DS FY 2014 software total forecast - 66,000,000

3DS software units to ship in order to reach the forecasted goal - 8,750,000

Wii U FY 2014 total - 2,720,000
Wii U FY 2014 total forecast - 2,800,000

Wii U units to ship lacking to reach the forecast - 80,000

Wii U FY 2014 total - 18,860,000
Wii U FY 2014 software total fotecast - 19,000,000

Wii U software units to ship lacking to reach the forecast - 140,000

3DS FY 2014 up to Q3 - 12,240,000
3DS FY 2014 total forecast - 13,500,000

3DS units to ship lacking to reach the forecast - 1,260,000

3DS FY 2014 software up to Q3 - 67,890,000
3DS FY 2014 software total forecast - 66,000,000

3DS software units more than the forecasted goal - 1,890,000

watershed

Banned
In retrospect, the original Wii may have been the worst thing to ever happen to Nintendo. Their focus on chasing the next big gimmick and having an underpowered console has bit them in the ass.
Sometimes thinking before posting is important. Nintendo has made many mistakes and have faced many bad turn of events. Making the Wii was not one of them.

Eusis

The Verge: Nintendo reports third consecutive annual loss as Wii U sales fizzle out

Link to article

Maybe the doomsayer are not that wrong after all...
I think in regards to 3DS they're full of shit, but Wii U not so much.

Of course I think at this point only those who are adamant about mobile killing handhelds still insist the 3DS is a failure, when at worst it seems to only be somewhat behind DS, though the fact some third parties are far cooler to that than they were on GBA/DS is disheartening if not outright frustrating.

zhao3gold

Banned
Only 0.59millions 3DS shipped in the last quarter? I think Vita might be shipped more units than 3DS from Jan to March of 2014. If this happens, then it must be shocking to everyone.

Vibranium

Banned
Man, Next Level deserves anything Nintendo throws at them. These guys can sure sell a Nintendo game and hopefully we get many more great projects from them in the future. British Columbia represent.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Everyone concentrated on Wii U but really shocking number is this:

3DS- Q4 shipment of 0.59m

Considering how it sold around 600,000 units just in Japan for Q1, that means there's been overshipping during Q3.

I think there are a couple titles inbetween the the million and Tomodachi but also aren't listed

Richie

It's only the top sellers, iirc, not the 1 million + sellers. Note that the lowest seller is 1.85 million. Mario Tennis Open was on the list last year, too.

I think there are a couple titles inbetween the the million and Tomodachi but also aren't listed

Aaaah, thanks for the clarification. Hoping the game is indeed a million seller, have revisited it as of late and fell in love with it all over again.

Tomorrow's Iwata presentation is going to be -very- interesting.

JoeM86

Only 0.59millions 3DS shipped in the last quarter? I think Vita might be shipped more units than 3DS from Jan to March of 2014. If this happens, then it must be shocking to everyone.

What? Considering the 3DS consistently sells more than the Vita in Japan, and the Vita is literally dead everywhere else, that is not physically possible.

Man, Next Level deserves anything Nintendo throws at them. These guys can sell a Nintendo game and hopefully we get many more great projects from them in the future. British Columbia represent.
Agreed, good thing they are working on something right now I believe for Wii U. They desereves those sell for luigi mansion.

EhoaVash

also no way will 3DS reach those numbers, feels really unrealistic since 3DS is even more down year over year. and since pokemon and 95% of nintendo's franchise released on the system already. with only like 5% of 3rd party support still left. I don't see what else can makes sales explode again. doubt smash 3DS would move anything, everybody who has interest probably already owns one.

Foshy

sorry but definitely no. It's picking up in Japan but it's dead in the rest of the world.

EulaCapra

In terms of compatible software, by positioning “Mario Kart 8,” scheduled to be released globally in May, and “Super Smash Bros. for Wii U,” scheduled to be released this winter, as two main drivers, both of which are titles that a wide range of consumers can enjoy either alone or with other players, Nintendo will seek to supply high quality games on a continuous basis. Moreover, Nintendo will also strive to proactively pursue its digital distribution business through the “Nintendo eShop.”
Let's hope. Mario Kart 8 can't stave off another drought by itself.

Griss

I meant what has lined up for Nintendo as a company, not the Wii U specifically.

Right. But the point is that he can no longer just point to the future and say everything will be fine when the carcass of the Wii U is on the boardroom table. This is the guy who's going to plan out a glorious future, the guy who delivered this turd? The Wii U will play a part in how much trust and time he is given by investors, surely. And as I said, I believe that it is/was the impeding failure of the WIi U that forced Iwata into the Qwol plan (or at least announcing it when he did - they do have a history in fitness after all) because again, he needs the focus on the future, or anywhere else but on their current results.

watershed

Banned
Perhaps this explains the "Advance" trademark filings? Just a thought. Possible right?
Meaning the Advance refers to hardware unrelated to the 3ds or doesn't refer to hardware at all. If it was a new 3ds revision then that number would be much higher.

AniHawk

oh i just saw the part where they're forecasting a $400,000,000 operating income, and $200,000,000 net income

Based on these efforts, we project for the fiscal year ending March 31, 2015 net sales of 590.0 billion yen, an operating income of 40.0 billion yen, an ordinary income of 35.0 billion yen and a net income of 20.0 billion yen.

...well, i don't really see how they do this when they had seemingly better opportunities in the past, but... okay. at least their expectations seem realistic for hardware this year so maybe that has been taken into account, with no further price drops or surprise costs expected.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Nintendo told us shipped numbers for WiiU, but do we have any information/estimates for sell-through? How many of those 6m shipped are actually in homes?

HUELEN10

Meaning the Advance refers to hardware unrelated to the 3ds or doesn't refer to hardware at all. If it was a new 3ds revision then that number would be much higher.

That's what I'm saying. With mobile and those numbers which to many seem low, could these next 36 months come with a successor to the 3DS? That's what some others were saying could happen right?

Sandfox

Right. But the point is that he can no longer just point to the future and say everything will be fine when the carcass of the Wii U is on the boardroom table. This is the guy who's going to plan out a glorious future, the guy who delivered this turd? The Wii U will play a part in how much trust and time he is given by investors, surely. And as I said, I believe that it is/was the impeding failure of the WIi U that forced Iwata into the Qwol plan (or at least announcing it when he did - they do have a history in fitness after all) because again, he needs the focus on the future, or anywhere else but on their current results.

The fact that the Wii U did badly is why I said it depends on what he says because if it doesn't go over well with the people he's trying to convince he'll obviously be in trouble.

3DS at 55 million is pretty damn impressive, so are it's software sales.

Imagine, Nintendo's dual screen portables, a franchise that started in 2004 and was expected by all to be a massive DOA failure, has now sold over 200 million units world wide.

I respect Nintendo for being humble about their Wii U projections. At least they're being realistic. I also feel their first party software sales are respectable. Nintendo fans really love their Nintendo games. I know I do.

People will claim the usual doom and gloom, but they're wrong as always. Nintendo could survive selling products in the toy aisle. They'll never go away. They'll be around long after most of their detractors have stopped gaming.

Also, Iwata isn't going anywhere.

Hatchtag

Banned
Guys, I still think Nintendo can come back from this.

If they actually learn how to have direction again, maybe. They had no idea what direction to take the Wii U or 3DS in, and it shows (as evidenced by poor sales of the Wii U, poor sales of the 3DS at launch, and admittance of 3D being a gimmick with the release of the 2DS.)

E-phonk

Banned
Nintendo told us shipped numbers for WiiU, but do we have any information/estimates for sell-through? How many of those 6m shipped are actually in homes?
Since they sold more then 4 million copies of NSMB WiiU it has to be close.

I have a wiiU without NSMBU so they sold at least one copy more than that games LTD.

Top Bottom