• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Smartphones Are Killing Americans, But Nobody’s Counting

SoulUnison

Banned
Back in 2006 I was in a car with my roommate at night on dangerously icy freeways, and his first thought was to whip out his cell and text a buddy about - and I'm not making this up - how dangerous and icy the roads were. And, mind you, this was 2006. Smartphones weren't a thing yet. He was driving with one hand while staring at his phone and tapping this message out with predictive text. He didn't even slightly slow down.

We almost sideswiped the wall on an off-ramp and yet he still got violently defensive when I tried to call him out on just how fucking stupid and lacking self-awareness he was acting.

Thankfully the drive was to the airport to pick up a friend who was helping me move, so I never had to deal with him again.

mrkgoo

Should be counted as the same as Drunk Driving

Good in theory, but there isn't a way to qualify cellphone distraction.

with drunk driving you can put a number on blood alcohol level and draw that line, which is necessary for laws.

Cellphone usage? How do you say, empirically, that cellphone usage was the cause of distraction - at what point do you blame the cellphone. Obviously something like full admittance of a call during the even of an accident is evidence enough, but as you go down the line into grey areas, where do you draw that line?

I'm all for laws though, that limit cellphone usage during driving.

It's a hard thing though. because we have such laws, yet I still see people making calls, which I believe are totally a different thing than talking to another person in car, and people checking their phones are (badly) trying to discreetly look at their phones on their lap, which in many ways is probably worse.

Distracted driving laws make the problem worse. I know it sounds crazy, but if you look around in rush hour traffic where I live, everybody -- and I mean every single person -- is using their phone. This is despite harsh distracted driving laws.

The real kicker is that now -- because of the distracted driving laws -- they are doing it more dangerously. They hold the phone below the seat level, so that instead of at least pretending to have their eyes pointed at the road, they physically have to turn their head down to look at the phone.

These laws are not reducing the instances of distracted driving, while they are simultaneously making each instance of distracted driving more dangerous.
My brother does this constantly and it drives me insane. We nearly got in nto a head on collision because he was looking down at his phone not two minutes after I told him to stop.
A bit OT, but I've noticed lately how the A-pillar/side-view mirror on some cars can create a pretty big blind spot, especially on the passenger side. I've been driving my mom's 2012 Buick Regal a lot and I've noticed how other cars or pedestrians can suddenly appear from that area.
Yeah, I rented a Ford Edge a couple of weeks ago and I'd never drive another. I felt totally blind on the rear sides.

Crema

I watched a really old woman get hit as she was walking across an intersection because someone started driving as soon as the light turned green. They saw the "go" in their periphery while looking at their phone, unaware there was still a tiny, slow lady at the final part of the crossing in front of them.

Exact same thing happened to me at a pedestrian crossing. Woman stopped for pedestrian in front of me, started texting and maybe saw person in front of me finish crossing so accelerated straight into me.

Fuck anyone so incredibly selfish that they think they should have the right to seriously injure or kill someone so they can check their Instagram every ten seconds.

mrkgoo

Exact same thing happened to me at a pedestrian crossing. Woman stopped for pedestrian in front of me, started texting and maybe saw person in front of me finish crossing so accelerated straight into me.

Fuck anyone so incredibly selfish that they think they should have the right to seriously injure or kill someone so they can check their Instagram every ten seconds.

I'm not going to pretend I'm totally guilt-free of doing bad things in a car, but it is 100% true that using your cellphone even at a stop is a distraction. you are not paying full attention to the road, and you should be if you're in the drivers seat, at all times.

I do realise that some of us are better at it than others, and others again THINK they are better than others at it, but ultimately, you can't make laws and police them based around the "best" people - you have to apply them to everyone, and hence you have to target them at the level of just not allowing it.

The Lamp

Realistically we need to follow the European approach and make the cost of driving/getting a license really expensive.

But neither republicans nor democrats want that.

This doesn't work in America. Too many places like Texas where there's no good public transportation: if you don't drive, you don't work, and you can't buy food

Cynar

Good in theory, but there isn't a way to qualify cellphone distraction.

with drunk driving you can put a number on blood alcohol level and draw that line, which is necessary for laws.

Cellphone usage? How do you say, empirically, that cellphone usage was the cause of distraction - at what point do you blame the cellphone. Obviously something like full admittance of a call during the even of an accident is evidence enough, but as you go down the line into grey areas, where do you draw that line?

I'm all for laws though, that limit cellphone usage during driving.

It's a hard thing though. because we have such laws, yet I still see people making calls, which I believe are totally a different thing than talking to another person in car, and people checking their phones are (badly) trying to discreetly look at their phones on their lap, which in many ways is probably worse.
It's easy. If the cellphone is in your hand/lap/accessible while driving that's too much. If the vehicle is on then your cellphone should be either off, in your pocket in DND or nowhere within hands reach.

night814

There is never any need to check texts or anything else on your phone when driving. Not stopped, not in motion, not at all when the car is running.

Cynar

I do. The person i was responding to was talking about how using phones WHILE STATIONARY is fine, and someone said “but it’s still a distraction” at which point I said “so is using a radio”
It isn't fine. Just stop trying to defend it. You're making yourself look like more of an ass than you probably are. I've almost been hit at a crosswalk because of it. I've seen people almost been hit. I now take pictures of assholes doing it and report them to the police for their ticket because it's illegal in my province. It's dangerous and can/will kill someone. You are not paying attention to the road if you're on your phone, period. Stop comparing it to a fucking radio.

I now take pictures of assholes doing it and report them to the police for their ticket because it's illegal in my province. It's dangerous and can/will kill someone.

I've thought about doing that (both for people using cellphones, and also for people turning right through a solid walk signal - which people do all the time), but I don't want someone chasing me down in a car.

It's easy. If the cellphone is in your hand/lap/accessible while driving that's too much. If the vehicle is on then your cellphone should be either off, in your pocket in DND or nowhere within hands reach.

This means no one could ever use their phone as a GPS ever again.

mrkgoo

I get where you're going, and that hardline needs to be somewhere. like definitely no holding, that could be it.

but not within arms reach? I use my phone in a holder as a GPS. when a phone is in the dash, and you;re using it for glance able info, it's not too different from operating any other piece of dashboard device. Obviously messaging is a no and the like.

I check my phone at stop lights. I don't respond to or check anything else while in motion. I simply refuse. I see distracted drivers drifting all over the roads, though.

I check my phone at stop lights. I don't respond to or check anything else while in motion. I simply refuse. I see distracted drivers drifting all over the roads, though.

Same.

I think most people are starting to understand the nuance of this and they know when it's appropriate and when it's not.

Bluetooth earphones also helps.

Looks like we have less danger on the road than in 1975. The number of fatalities has gone down even though the population has tripled.

Same.

I think most people are starting to understand the nuance of this and they know when it's appropriate and when it's not.

Bluetooth earphones also helps.

Looks like we have less danger on the road than in 1975. The number of fatalities has gone down even though the population has tripled.

remember there were no seatbelt laws in 1975. I'm not even sure if all cars had seat belts built in at that time. and of course, the design and materials used all help to preserve life. Engines are designed to drop down instead of intrude into the cabin, for example.

mlclmtckr

Banned

If the car is in drive and you're on your phone, you're fucking up.

I hate being behind you and waiting for you to notice the light's turned green, too.

Not to mention when you look up from your instagram to see the light's green so you accelerate without looking around to "catch up" and create a potentially dangerous situation.

Put your phone away.

all these laws are just another way to punish the poor and minorities. that's who will be targeted and ticketed and fined disproportionately while the people driving their beamer in the nice neighborhoods get a pass

I hate being behind you and waiting for you to notice the light's turned green, too.

Not to mention when you look up from your instagram to see the light's green so you accelerate without looking around to "catch up" and create a potentially dangerous situation.

Put your phone away.

Thanks for your input. I'll keep doing what I'm doing, though. I don't even have an instagram. lol

Put your phone away.

Just because you've experienced people doing that, not all of us who check our phone messages at a light do this.

If I check my phone at a light, I'm still checking the intersection like every other second. You can tell when its about to turn green anyway by looking for when the other direction turns yellow. Also the bad drivers who accelerate without looking around would probably do that even if they weren't on a phone, as they'd probably be distracted by something else.

Also, my car doesn't have 'drive' so I guess I'm good anyway.

knkng

No, but public policy should not disproportionately destroy the lives of the poor. Rich guy can afford a 1000 fine, poor guy ends up in license suspension cycle and in and out of jail. I believe it's Norway that scales fines to income.
Not sure why you responded to my same post twice. The scaling fine is a decent idea, but I'm not sure how that would work with the unemployed or those who are currently on a welfare program of some sort. There still needs to be a level of punishment available, and it will ultimately hurt the perpetrator in one form or another. But I believe that enacting laws to potentially save lives rises above the comfort level of those putting others in danger, ie. just don't fucking do it.

all these laws are just another way to punish the poor and minorities. that's who will be targeted and ticketed and fined disproportionately while the people driving their beamer in the nice neighborhoods get a pass
That would be an enforcement issue. Not sure why you would want to throw out the baby with the bathwater. And really, this isn't some social justice issue, nobody of any background should be using their phone while driving. Again, just don't fucking do it.

It isn't fine. Just stop trying to defend it. You're making yourself look like more of an ass than you probably are. I've almost been hit at a crosswalk because of it. I've seen people almost been hit. I now take pictures of assholes doing it and report them to the police for their ticket because it's illegal in my province. It's dangerous and can/will kill someone. You are not paying attention to the road if you're on your phone, period. Stop comparing it to a fucking radio.

You've almost been hit at a crosswalk because someone was using their phone at a stop sign while not moving? feels like there may be more to this story than you're letting on.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Making it as serious an offense as drunk driving won't do shit except give police another excuse for pulling over minorities.

People do it for two reasons, they haven't been educated in just how dangerous it is, and even when they have, human beings have this natural flaw where we think "yeah but not ME. I'm not distracted, I'm fine, I'm looking down for a second, I'm a good driver, it doesn't apply to me".

No laws, no ads, no self righteous anger is going to stop the rise in accidents caused by device distraction because we are fighting human nature. It won't stop until our driving becomes fully automated.

mlclmtckr

Banned
Making it as serious an offense as drunk driving won't do shit except give police another excuse for pulling over minorities.

People do it for two reasons, they haven't been educated in just how dangerous it is, and even when they have, human beings have this natural flaw where we think "yeah but not ME. I'm not distracted, I'm fine, I'm looking down for a second, I'm a good driver, it doesn't apply to me".

No laws, no ads, no self righteous anger is going to stop the rise in accidents caused by device distraction because we are fighting human nature. It won't stop until our driving becomes fully automated.

laws and public shaming worked quite well for drunk driving actually

Just because you've experienced people doing that, not all of us who check our phone messages at a light do this.

If I check my phone at a light, I'm still checking the intersection like every other second. You can tell when its about to turn green anyway by looking for when the other direction turns yellow. Also the bad drivers who accelerate without looking around would probably do that even if they weren't on a phone, as they'd probably be distracted by something else.

Also, my car doesn't have 'drive' so I guess I'm good anyway.

This is so deeply stupid, between the "bad drivers are bad even when they're not doing the bad thing" and the "I drive a stick lol".

Why are phones not disabled when the gps detects movement greater than 15 miles per hour?

Android and iOS should have this baked into the core of the OS.

That would be an enforcement issue. Not sure why you would want to throw out the baby with the bathwater. And really, this isn't some social justice issue, nobody of any background should be using their phone while driving. Again, just don't fucking do it.

because the baby is already dead and they're gonna target minorities for manslaughter charges.

Why are phones not disabled when the gps detects movement greater than 15 miles per hour?

Android and iOS should have this baked into the core of the OS.

because most vehicles have more than one seat.

dc89

Here in the UK it’s a £200 fine and 6 points on your license. I think 12 points gets you banned from driving iirc.
Some jobs in the UK (like mine) require you to have less than so many points as company policy.

The law here is quite clear, If you’re using a phone behind the wheel you need to be pulled over somewhere safe with the engine off and the key out of the ignition. You can’t use the built in speakerphone or headphones but you can use a Bluetooth ear piece or audio system.

prag16

Banned
I put my phone down and look around before I start moving. Its not really much diffent when Im not checking my phone and staring off the side of the road at something.

Im not going to start driving without knowing my surroundings

I dont' understand all the whining about people checking their phones at stop lights. Near where I work there is a series of ~30 second+ stop lights. Yes, I may shoot a txt or read an email at said stop lights. No, that doesn't mean I'm peeling out of there before being aware of my surroundings. Deal with it.

Worst case I don't notice the green light immediately, but that's rare and probably actually happens more often just from staring off at the side of the road while stopped.

Game Guru

It doesn't matter. It's still illegal to drink while being a passenger. It would do everyone good to stay off the phone in the car.

Then a passenger cannot use their smartphone as a GPS, which is basically the modern version of a map which is something that is sometimes essential for driving. A smartphone is a useful tool even in a car as long as it is a passenger that has it. A passenger drinking in a car has no practical use.

knkng

because the baby is already dead and they're gonna target minorities for manslaughter charges.

I disagree with the "baby is already dead" angle. As long as there are continued victims of such negligent driving, then they deserve at least some level of protection or justice. An imbalance in enforcement is something that can still be worked on while continuing to protect responsible drivers and pedestrians. I don't see why a full withdrawal is required, especially since minorities are victims of negligent drivers just as much as white people.

It just feels very defeatist. Kind of like the gun debate in America, "Can't be solved; do nothing." I strongly disagree.

bosseye

It's definitely less acceptable in the UK now. You still see people doing it of course, but on my experience it's the exception rather than the norm. Which is good.

I dont' understand all the whining about people checking their phones at stop lights. Near where I work there is a series of ~30 second+ stop lights. Yes, I may shoot a txt or read an email at said stop lights. No, that doesn't mean I'm peeling out of there before being aware of my surroundings. Deal with it.

Worst case I don't notice the green light immediately, but that's rare and probably actually happens more often just from staring off at the side of the road while stopped.

Agree. I mean, if I wasn't checking my phone, I'd just be staring of at other things while stopped at a light, like other cars, my radio, gauge cluster, ect.

And really, I think I look at my phone maybe 3 times a month while in the car. So if being on your phone was actually made illegal where I live it wouldn't really bother me. I'm just arguing that looking at it while stopped is not dangerous, where as looking at your phone while moving is. You can't hit something if you're not moving.

MutFox

Banned
I had a friend that would constantly text and drive because he had to answer people right away.

I called him an idiot several times and that he lacked empathy as he could seriously injure or kill someone.

He couldn't stop, he was addicted.
Kept saying he had the ability to do it properly.
He also drove a manual transmission.

Don't hang out with them anymore.

leroidys

I've seen a huge increase in fucking semi truck drivers swerving all over the roads on their phones lately. Should be charged with more than a fine for that.

Apt101

I like the new feature on my iPhone. It detects when I am driving and answers every call and text with a message telling the other person I'm driving.

Dougald

People can't help themselves. I've even seen near-accidents caused by people "just checking their phones while waiting in traffic". You're controlling a large metal death-machine, start taking some personal responsibility

Of course its nothing specific to smartphones, my wifes grandfather was killed by someone texting behind the wheel

Speaking of, is wearing headphones while behind the wheel legal? I see it so much but there is no way that can be allowed. People act like its completely normal...

As long as you arent actively using your phone I dont see why headphones would be illegal. Its no different than driving with your music turned extremely loud. Or beinng deaf. My uncle is deaf and has a license. The only prerequisite for driving is good eyesight (there are amputees who drive). Thus taking your eyes off the road for a phone is a problem, but listening to music or being deaf is not a problem.

ChrisD

Smartphones don't kill people, stupid people kill themselves (and potentially others).

This has to be satire. This is literally the "guns don't kill people" line, but guns as smartphones, and bad people is replaced with stupid people.

If you check your phone (for anything other than a set-up-before-driving GPS) while driving, you're a danger to everyone on the road and you deserve a punishment for it. I hate driving with y'all, I hate the three times I've almost been hit at light crossings while cycling because of you idiots, and I hate that people think it's okay at any time other than when you're pulled over/parked. No, long stop lights aren't an excuse. Listen to the radio, turn on a CD, set up a Podcast before you leave out. Shoot, you could also just sit it out -- even a silent, minute long stoplight won't kill you! We don't need to be connected 24/7, especially when we're driving a literal weapon.

Whatever you "have to do" can wait.

I have argued with my family so much over this. Even the close calls they've been in aren't enough to get it through their thick skulls. Throw some actual repercussions at them and even they may get the memo.

Smartphones don't kill people, stupid people kill themselves (and potentially others).
This has to be satire. This is literally the "guns don't kill people" line, but guns as smartphones, and bad people is replaced with stupid people.

Not to mention that it had basically been posted already.

Am I the only who can't stand headlines like this? It's not the phone that's killing people, it's the assholes who don't keep their eyes on the road.

Am I the only who can't stand headlines like this? It's not the phone that's killing people, it's the assholes who don't keep their eyes on the road.
Guns-Dont-Kill-People.jpg

Right.

Top Bottom